Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm
      London Stadium

Today is the 25th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P25 W9 D9 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: LFC v Stoke

Philippe Coutinho
      47 (24.6%)
      Simon Mignolet
      59 (30.9%)
      Iago Aspas
      9 (4.7%)
      Steven Gerrard
      3 (1.6%)
      Daniel Sturridge
      11 (5.8%)
      Kolo Toure
      13 (6.8%)
      Somebody else
      4 (2.1%)
      Lucas Leiva
      45 (23.6%)

Total Members Voted: 187

Voting closed: Aug 21, 2013 03:02:19 pm

Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 39481 times
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Re: Liverpool 1-0 Stoke City: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #759: Aug 18, 2013 09:39:59 pm
      I also liked The performance of Henderson and as much as I like Joe Allen and believe he can be a good player for LFC I have to admit that Hendo is a better fit for that final midfield spot and he also did well in the 2nd half in what looked to be more of a right mid role
      I think that Rodgers was looking at the physicality of Stoke and decided to play Hendo and it was a good decision from Rodgers .
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #760: Aug 18, 2013 09:45:55 pm
      I think that Rodgers was looking at the physicality of Stoke and decided to play Hendo and it was a good decision from Rodgers .

I agree fella but I also like the way he runs beyond our front players when they drop deep or vacate a space. his finishing isn't the greatest but he got in some excellent positions yesterday. I hope he keeps the shirt next week at Villa.
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #761: Aug 18, 2013 09:52:07 pm
      What was very noticeable in  the second half was Hendo's winning of a lot of second balls. A 50/50 ball would break and he won a lot of them. A lot of conversion there. If only he had scored, the game would have been sealed, but the 2nd was a top class save. Can see why he was selected over Allen, especially against Stoke.
      Semple

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #762: Aug 18, 2013 10:00:48 pm
      What was very noticeable in  the second half was Hendo's winning of a lot of second balls. A 50/50 ball would break and he won a lot of them. A lot of conversion there. If only he had scored, the game would have been sealed, but the 2nd was a top class save. Can see why he was selected over Allen, especially against Stoke.

Agree. One thing was quite telling for me regarding Hendo, never jumped out if a tackle yesterday. Not something you would have always said about him last season. He was excellent yesterday, unlucky not to score.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #763: Aug 18, 2013 10:20:01 pm
      there is no way of knowing that.

Use your brain, mate. Last season, Reina conceded goals on bloopers almost every match. Mignolet didn't make any bloopy mistakes, not even once, and in fact was hailed by most as one of the best (if not the best) keeper in the PL.

I'm reaffirmed in my opinion that we failed to make top 4 last season first and foremost because of bloody Reina. All those matches drawn or lost because of his stupid mistakes meant vital points down the drain.

Mignolet was a great buy. Feeling more optimistic this season.

You're a fun guy. We should hang out some time.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #764: Aug 18, 2013 10:24:55 pm
      but surprised Henderson didn't get a mention in the poll as I thought he played the role asked of him very well.

Him, Stevie and Lucas has got to be the three in midfield for me and I was pleased the gaffer played him ahead of Allen who for me is a player who could come and mix it up from the bench.

Lots more energy and creativity from Hendo - starting to look like a Liverpool player now.
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #765: Aug 18, 2013 10:26:22 pm
      I usually refrain from anything personal on here but have to admit this guy is a WUM of the highest order. my advice would be for everyone to side step any future posts because they always seem to set in such a way as to get a negative reaction.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #766: Aug 18, 2013 10:37:08 pm
      Knew it would be a tight game but the team played well. Coutinho is a joy to watch on the ball.

A consistent problem with Rodgers' Liverpool though is closing out a narrow lead to get the win. The team clearly struggles to do it.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #767: Aug 18, 2013 10:38:12 pm
      Knew it would be a tight game but the team played well. Coutinho is a joy to watch on the ball.

A consistent problem with Rodgers' Liverpool though is closing out a narrow lead to get the win. The team clearly struggles to do it.

Wasn't for a lack of chances or anything of the sort. Begovic was outstanding and we hit the post numerous times.

Unlucky isn't something you can calculate
      Scottbot

• 9,610 posts | 2159 
      Reply #768: Aug 18, 2013 10:45:48 pm

I don't think it's simply a problem for Rodgers, we've struggled to close out tight matches ever since we were good at closing out tight matches ie. 2008-09! It's been a problem for a while and the only way to change it is to simply get better across the board, close a few out and only then will the nerves we see now be replaced with the inner confidence (in both the players and the fans) that is needed to do it.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #769: Aug 18, 2013 11:12:09 pm
      I don't think it's simply a problem for Rodgers, we've struggled to close out tight matches ever since we were good at closing out tight matches ie. 2008-09! It's been a problem for a while and the only way to change it is to simply get better across the board, close a few out and only then will the nerves we see now be replaced with the inner confidence (in both the players and the fans) that is needed to do it.

I thought the team really stiffened up with nerves in those last 10-15 minutes. They definitely lacked that fluid confidence and flair of the previous 75-80 minutes. It showed that the team saw it as really important to notch up those first three points this early on which was good to see. Like you said it will hopefully stand them in good practice! But as you said - it's not a problem with just Rodger's team. Kenny's full season here was blighted by so many points dropped from winning positions whether it was against Sunderland in the first game of two seasons ago, against Norwich when Grant Holt scored that header or against Man Utd when Hernandez pegged back Gerrard's free kick. Done well to forget how poor we were under Roy though considering we so often started in losing positions and never in winning positions.
      « Last Edit: Aug 18, 2013 11:18:06 pm by Frankly, Mr Shankly »
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,218 posts | 4919 
      Reply #770: Aug 18, 2013 11:15:00 pm
      Mignolet's penalty save could have a real galvinising affect on our early season form as it could be the catalyst for us to build on the three points that could very easily, and often have, ended up as only the one.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,320 posts | 1524 
      Reply #771: Aug 19, 2013 12:26:00 am
      Just glad of the three points against an awkward side who were never going to be their usual predictable cloggers due to a new manager changing their strategy. Good to see us dominate 90% of the game. but still not happy about our lack of goals with so many oportunities. Don't think i've seen so many players elated over a pen double save. Shows how much it meant to everyone. Great for the team bonding.
       Will brendan change things next week to nullify Villas counter attacking long ball stuff.? Thats what I was expecting from Stoke! Dont think i've seen Stoke play so much football on the floor before, but we still bossed them. Well pleased so far but stiffer tests to come.
      Coutinho mom for me. Whenever he's on the ball, I'm expecting some thing special to happen, and it usually does.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,348 posts | 1622 
      Reply #772: Aug 19, 2013 12:55:56 am
      Hugely impressed with yesterday's performance, I know we only won 1-0 but it doesn't matter whether we scored 1 or 5 goals it's still 3 points, what I was most pleased about was the way we won the game, this time last year we wouldn't have won that, we'd have either lost or drawn it, so suitably impressed that we kept going and brilliant goalkeeping by Mignolet to keep us in the game with the double save.

My man of the match was Coutinho, he was a real little wizzard, here, there and everywhere, loved his positioning on the field and his link up play with Sturridge.

Be a good game at Villa next week after what they did to Arsenal yesterday and I will be at Villa Park with the travelling Kop next Saturday to cheer the lads on.

Superb atmosphere on the Kop yesterday, good singing and good banter, really enjoyed it, even though the weather was crap, very long journey back due to a couple of horrendous crashed on the M6.

Good to see Huyton Red, Semple, Danny and Reprobate for a few drinks in the Sandon beforehand  :)

Was in the sandon cas see you next time , still hoarse from yesterday have to say the last ten minutes were     manic ,been taking my nephew for a few years  was the first time yesterday i have really heard him singing and getting into it (he is deffo one of us now ) you know when its good when the whistle goes and he tried to talk to me and neither of us could speak voices totally shot to sh*t , been in the main stand quite a lot recently but have to say yesterday was by far the loudest and best its been for a long time , just have a feeling we will do some damage this year , been away for a while all the best to my fellow reds.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #773: Aug 19, 2013 01:42:26 am
      I thought the team really stiffened up with nerves in those last 10-15 minutes. They definitely lacked that fluid confidence and flair of the previous 75-80 minutes. It showed that the team saw it as really important to notch up those first three points this early on which was good to see. Like you said it will hopefully stand them in good practice! But as you said - it's not a problem with just Rodger's team. Kenny's full season here was blighted by so many points dropped from winning positions whether it was against Sunderland in the first game of two seasons ago, against Norwich when Grant Holt scored that header or against Man Utd when Hernandez pegged back Gerrard's free kick. Done well to forget how poor we were under Roy though considering we so often started in losing positions and never in winning positions.
      I agree.  Too many times last season, we would be up by a goal w/ 15 minutes remaining and just dreading until the final whistle. The last few seasons, when we were leading late, you could see the team getting nervous, bad passes, giving the ball up, and they would play so shaky. I didnt see that yesterday, they were not playing desperate. Their play in the final 10 minutes was the same tempo as the first 10.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #774: Aug 19, 2013 01:42:27 am
      On reflection nearly two days after the game I can't ever remember a game quite like this which is really strange because any other day it's a bog standard Premier League fixture. But the nervous energy and passion shown by the fans and the celebrations that occurred by the fans AND the players when Mignolet saved that penalty just goes to show how important everyone feels this season will be. When it was given I genuinely felt close to tears and yet on paper it was only the first game of the season against Stoke, not a Champions League semi final! I think I speak for all of us when believing that this year has an air of critical importance to it unlike previous years. Getting it off to a disappointing draw would have been incredibly sobering to say the least. It was brilliant to be feeling that way throughout the match and judging by the atmosphere at Anfield and on this forum it seems that the feeling was mutual!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #775: Aug 19, 2013 02:03:10 am
      Thought we were excellent for the first game of the season when we haven't always performed and also when we are blooding in some new players in crucial areas, at home and playing a still new to many strategy.

No complaints. Just happy for 3 points and a good performance.

Roll on next week!
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #776: Aug 19, 2013 02:07:42 am
      After having a crap week in hospital yesterday was a great cheer up I just had to take it easy in my seat,a good win was the shout of the day and we got it,I thought we should have had a few more but 1-0 is a good start to the season.

Hope you feel better E B.

In terms of our defense, i think we did pretty well.
      Let's not dismiss how difficult Crouchie is to deal with.
      Of course Mignolet is gonna flap when trying to claim the ball when you have 'he's big, he's Red, his feet stick out the bed' Peter Crouch against you!
      he had to come and try and claim or at least get a foul or put Peter off.
      If he had stayed put and waited for Crouchie to have a free header what would people be saying now?

Rationality.
      happy with all players and the the new players handled the pressure well.

Bodes well.
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #777: Aug 19, 2013 07:49:21 am
      Great to have it back, was made up with the performance and the 3 points.

A bit edgy at the end and we really could have done with a second goal but loved some of the passing and movement. The link up play from the forwards was outstanding at times and Aspas fitted in perfectly. As much as anything, loved the way we stood up to them and their style, the team spirit and attitude looks superb.

Great debut from Mignolet (after a shaky start), Toure looks like he's been here for years, Coutinho could be the best player in the league but MOM for me was Lucas. Thought he was back to his very best on Saturday.

Decent atmosphere at the back of the Kop (hope it came over like that on the tv), hopefully the fact that some of the STH have shifted will improve things generally.
      harrydunn08

• 5,920 posts | 964 
      Reply #778: Aug 19, 2013 02:34:40 pm
      A win against a team that has been a bogey for us the last several seasons is always good!!  The fact that it was our first opening day win since 2008 makes it even sweeter :)

Coutinho could well put himself into the PFA POTY discussion if he continues to play the way he has been since he arrived at LFC. His ability to pick apart tight defenses is simply incredible!!

Mig played very well, and showed why BR placed so much faith in him. 

Danny played well, and considering he has only been back from injury for 2 weeks and missed most of the preseason I think he will continue to improve in the next few games.  He could well be one of the leagues top goalscorers this season if he can stay fit!!

Bring on the Villains!! 
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #779: Aug 19, 2013 02:41:12 pm
      Difference between Coutinho and the rest is he has the vision to make that simple weighted pass to create a scoring opportunity while others tend to resort to the usual back or side passes.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #780: Aug 19, 2013 03:21:57 pm
      Just been messaging my mate at work about Saturday's game, the biggest thing that stuck out for me watching the game was the balance of the side.
      Not for a long time have we looked so free flowing right across the park. Great credit has to go down to the work going in on the training ground. The interchanging between the front three caused real problems against one of the better defences in the EPL, I for one am buzzing for the season ahead.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,543 posts | 1666 
      • YNWA
      Reply #781: Aug 19, 2013 06:34:28 pm
      Some one take this imbecile to one side and slap him dafter, if that is at all possible.

Yea, saw a fair bit of complete bollox along the lines of 'Reina wouldn't have saved this' or 'Reinas mistakes cost us the other'. What a load of complete and utter horseshite. Pepe's moved on, he was a really solid keeper and excellent character. Had a wee dip in form toward the end of last season, but every player takes a dip from time to time.
      Migs did well on Sat and stopped some good shots. He'll have to learn to be quicker with the ball at his feet, maybe take peek as some Reina videos for that. Bit shakey on gathering some crosses too, but puttin that down to first game nerves. Mixed bag of a day for him, but he did save our grateful arses at the end, so he's got some credit in the bank for that :)

Quick Reply