Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

What other sports do you like besides football??

Read 22774 times
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Re: What other sports do you like besides football??
      Reply #23: Oct 12, 2007 04:52:06 pm
      have any of you ever seen the Irish sport Hurling?

Its the fastest field game in the world. Played 15 a side goalkeeper 6 backs 2 midfielders 6 forwards. You can strike the ball with the hurl (a stick) on the ground or from the hand. The posts are similar to rugby posts and if the ball goes over you get 1 point and 3 points for a goal.

If you ever get the chance to watch it on telly do or indeed if your ever visiting Ireland and theres a game on try and go its quality

Didn't they used to show the final on the TV a few years ago? Quite enjoyed watching it as a change from the norm. If I recall correctly, it's not so much a cross between hockey, football and rugby, as an amalgamation! Four posts, a goal in the middle and sticks to play with. Right game?
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #24: Oct 12, 2007 06:21:35 pm
      have any of you ever seen the Irish sport Hurling?

Its the fastest field game in the world. Played 15 a side goalkeeper 6 backs 2 midfielders 6 forwards. You can strike the ball with the hurl (a stick) on the ground or from the hand. The posts are similar to rugby posts and if the ball goes over you get 1 point and 3 points for a goal.

If you ever get the chance to watch it on telly do or indeed if your ever visiting Ireland and theres a game on try and go its quality

Do I know of it! I have a chunk out of leg because of it :D just at the start of the match, the boy next to me missed the sliter and hit me on the shin, the hurl was broken up so the metal protecter was all jaggedy, it sliced a chunk out my leg, so yea I do know what hurling is ;D
      « Last Edit: Oct 12, 2007 06:45:08 pm by mrtommo »
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,277 posts | 2833 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #25: Oct 12, 2007 07:35:34 pm
      Didn't they used to show the final on the TV a few years ago? Quite enjoyed watching it as a change from the norm. If I recall correctly, it's not so much a cross between hockey, football and rugby, as an amalgamation! Four posts, a goal in the middle and sticks to play with. Right game?

no football and rugby wouldnt be anything like it. we use a ball similar to a baseball. Ill try and dig up a few images for ye
      jammydodger
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 641 posts |
      Reply #26: Oct 12, 2007 07:53:44 pm
      no football and rugby wouldnt be anything like it. we use a ball similar to a baseball. Ill try and dig up a few images for ye

Hmmm...had a search myself. I think I was wrong about four goal posts (mixing that up with something else), but it is the right game. There is a goal where you score goals, and which have rugby shaped posts where you can also smack the ball over for points, with sticks that are similar to hockey sticks. Ok, it isn't rugby, football or hockey for that matter, but for the sake of a comparison for people who haven't any idea...?

Think it was the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championships that used to be on Grandstand, back in the day.
      Dizzy Munchkin
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 538 posts | 17 
      Reply #27: Oct 12, 2007 08:13:22 pm
       Rugby, Ice Hockey, 20/20 cricket ( can only take it in small doses) & Aussie Rules
      RED1028
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,392 posts | 92 
      • LFC - YNWA
      Reply #28: Oct 12, 2007 11:44:13 pm
      I love sports of all different types!

My ultimate passion lies with Liverpool FC because there is nothing that compares with the anticipation, expectation, and ultimately exhilaration of winning a game of football. If it's 3 points, a knock-out tie or the biggest honor of all, a title / trophy, the happiness is unrivaled - think Anfield / Old Wembley / Istanbul / Cardiff! Wear your Liverpool shirt anywhere in the World and invariably you will get a nod of approval, a wry smile or a complete stranger chatting to you about the
      Greatest club on the planet!  ;) :kop5cf8koxp6:

My other personal passion is Running.
      In November 2004 there was an ad in the London Metro for Run London's Nocturnal 10K run. I thought if I can't run 6 miles in 1 hour there's something wrong with me! The theme of the run was to "Go Nocturnal" and took place on the streets of London on the night of Sunday November 22nd. 30,000 runners, wearing luminous yellow long-sleeved running tops braved the near winter conditions on a route that started in Surrey Quays shopping centre, through Bermondsey, along the River Thames, turning on Tower Bridge, before ending in Southwark Park. I completed the run in 1 hour 3 minutes with no training at all. I was happy to do it but realized I could have done better.
      Nike ran a series of 5 other 5K races in parks in North, South, East, West and Central London the following year with the final run in the series being a 10K in Hyde Park in October. It gave me the impetus to continue with running as I was enjoying traveling around and keeping fit. It has become a big part of my life and I now travel the country in search of new places to visit / run. To date I have done approx. 30 or more races as and when time / fitness allows. On 28th October this year I will tackle an event which will be the pinnacle of my running diary... look out for my posts in the Fitness Thread...  ;) http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,3873.0.html

I also like riding my mountain bike and playing Football - Obviously! ::) Badminton, Table tennis, Ten-Pin Bowling, Disc Golf / Frisbee, Darts, Pool, Clay Pigeon Shooting, Catapulting, Swimming and Diving - learned everything I know from watching the chavs...  :D

I like watching loads of sports on TV:

Motor Sports: F1 - Ayrton Senna, Touring Cars, Rallying (Colin McCrae RIP) Super Bikes, Speedway etc,etc,...

and in no particular order:
      Darts, Rugby, Golf, Boxing, Cricket (highlights!), Tennis, Badminton, Snooker, The Olympics / Athletics... like I said I love sports! I appreciate the dedication and skill that goes into what these sportsmen / women do to be the best.

That's it in a nutshell! ;)

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,277 posts | 2833 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #29: Oct 13, 2007 11:43:28 am
      Hmmm...had a search myself. I think I was wrong about four goal posts (mixing that up with something else), but it is the right game. There is a goal where you score goals, and which have rugby shaped posts where you can also smack the ball over for points, with sticks that are similar to hockey sticks. Ok, it isn't rugby, football or hockey for that matter, but for the sake of a comparison for people who haven't any idea...?

Think it was the All-Ireland Senior Hurling Championships that used to be on Grandstand, back in the day.

yeah thats it Jammy. Didnt know Grandstand used to show the All Ireland
      DOBBS83
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,034 posts | 34 
      • @chrisdobbs83
      Reply #30: Oct 18, 2007 01:46:02 am
      I don't mind rugby but cant really get into it, did for the world cup but because we were all drinking. I'm a huge freestyle moto-x fan. I ride my self and my mates have their own compound to ride at (doing 100footers are pretty insane). I surf occasionally. I like playing pool at the pub. I'm always at the gym (need to be for football and doing jumps). I don't mind Aussie rules footy too much, but it does get boring, and I support the eagles, AFL players are the fittest sportsmen (not athletics) in the world, I don't care what any one says.

but still nothing from the above compare to playing proper football or watching it for that matter!
      « Last Edit: Oct 18, 2007 02:06:29 am by DOBBS83 »
      SuperJon
      • Forum John Aldridge

• 105 posts |
      Reply #31: Oct 18, 2007 01:50:22 am
      I like pretty much everything.  American football, baseball, basketball, hockey, etc. 
      Nicola
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,117 posts | -7 
      • YNWA
      Reply #32: Oct 18, 2007 01:40:44 pm
      Rygbi is probably my 2nd sport! I follow Cardiff Blue but am not a big fan, and of course I want Wales to win (and England to lose)! It's so different from football, but I like both. My boyf plays rygbi so I try and watch him when I can.

I am obsessed with football though, I'll watch any game down the Union me!
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      • YOU'LL NEVER WALK ALONE
      Reply #33: Jan 02, 2009 06:43:49 pm
      Nothing comes close to my true love and adoration, which is obviously Liverpool FC.

I do love other sports however.
      CRICKET, we've been blessed in Oz for having such stunning success over the last decade or so, but I did the hard yards in the early 80s in the Hughes/Border eras when the Windies were tearing strips off all and sundry!

RUGBY LEAGUE, Manly Sea Eagles are my team, who recently routed the Storm 40-0 in the Grand Final. :lmao:

AUSSIE RULES FOOTY, Essendon Bombers are my team who are similar to LFC in tradition and being a friendly, family club with oodles of trophies.

I follow Tiger Woods in the Majors closely because I know just how damn hard it is to perfect the game of golf.

I play a range of sports and am a sports nut: I play indoor and outdoor footy, occasional social cricket and tennis, and quite a bit of golf.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #34: Jan 02, 2009 06:49:24 pm
      Nothing comes close to my true love and adoration, which is obviously Liverpool FC.

I do love other sports however.
      CRICKET, we've been blessed in Oz for having such stunning success over the last decade or so, but I did the hard yards in the early 80s in the Hughes/Border eras when the Windies were tearing strips off all and sundry!

RUGBY LEAGUE, Manly Sea Eagles are my team, who recently routed the Storm 40-0 in the Grand Final. :lmao:

AUSSIE RULES FOOTY, Essendon Bombers are my team who are similar to LFC in tradition and being a friendly, family club with oodles of trophies.

I follow Tiger Woods in the Majors closely because I know just how damn hard it is to perfect the game of golf.

I play a range of sports and am a sports nut: I play indoor and outdoor footy, occasional social cricket and tennis, and quite a bit of golf.

i lived in melbourne for 4 or 5 years (1999 - 2004) and i loved the aussie rules.  while i was there i was a hawks member every year.  i was at the prelim final in 2001 when the bombers beat us (9 points i think).  that was the closest they got while i was there.  although they made up for it this year by taking the flag!  i love the game and i watch the matches live over here on setanta sports, although it does mean a lot of early mornings, still worth t though.
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      Reply #35: Jan 02, 2009 06:55:39 pm
      Good to hear Ard.
      Your Hawks had a stunning win this season, as it was a boil over against arrogant Geelong. It was a pulsating Final which will long be remembered by neutrals as well.
      Bombers are rebuilding, and will rise again in the next few years( We don't try and buy the Premiership like Carlton, who are very much like ManUre and Chelshite.)
      I'll have to do the early mornings soon to watch them, as I have been doing for Eons to watch the Reds, but it is all so worth it.
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #36: Jan 02, 2009 06:57:19 pm
      dont slag off the blues too much mate, thats aussie reds team!
      RedStorm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,746 posts | 142 
      Reply #37: Jan 02, 2009 07:02:56 pm
      No chance bud!
      Blues are pompous, arrogant, cheat, lie, show-ponies always get ahead of themselves and  always try and buy success, all of which LFC despise with a passion.
      Please don't degrade our great club by comparing us to a bunch of cocksuckers  :f_steam:  ;)
      crouchysrobot
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts |
      Reply #38: Jan 02, 2009 07:34:47 pm
      From what I watch/follow most to least after Football
      Formula 1/and other forms of motorsport
      NFL
      College american football
      Baseball
      College basketball
      Golf Majors
      NBA

I know enough about all of these to get by in conversation/debate. The only ones I actually participate in football, athletics and motorsport.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,387 posts | 2823 
      Reply #39: Jan 02, 2009 09:13:33 pm
      Football and LFC is first by a mile.

Then I like some cricket (usually get a summer test and ODI (in England) in every year)

Love tennis.

Watch a bit of Rugby and Snooker.

Like golf, usually play every couple of weeks with my mates.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #40: Jan 02, 2009 09:19:34 pm
      Howcome this is in Current Affairs?

I swear it was in the Sports sub-forum a moment ago. ???
      clint_call01
      • King Live Match Starter
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,710 posts | 3717 
      • Ynwa... lfc till I die !
      Reply #41: Jan 02, 2009 09:20:57 pm
      I like formula 1, tennis, snooker & basketball. I only play basketball at college 'cos I'm below par in football but my mates says that I'm decent in goalkeeping. I only enjoy seeing Tennis in summer when football is off-season, i dislike watching basketball match though, i can't play in formula 1 ;) :P but i see every race that i can but i don't cancel anything for it not like football. I only enjoy snooker when big players came to Malta every year playing for Malta cup.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #42: Jan 02, 2009 10:47:24 pm
      Other than football.

Cricket, Boxing, F1, Baseball, Tennis, Ice Hockey, Badminton, Athletics and a spot of Golf.
      Reepicheep
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,092 posts | 40 
      Reply #43: Jan 02, 2009 10:49:32 pm
      I'll watch any sport apart from golf and rugby, neither of which i can really get into.

I like the NFL, Pats supporter here. Will watch cricket and enjoy tennis.

To play, I like volleyball and tabletennis.
      crouchysrobot
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 311 posts |
      Reply #44: Jan 02, 2009 11:08:11 pm
      I like the NFL, Pats supporter here.

That's too bad, Colts all the way
      Ard Mhacha Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,794 posts | 31 
      Reply #45: Jan 02, 2009 11:14:41 pm
      No chance bud!
      Blues are pompous, arrogant, cheat, lie, show-ponies always get ahead of themselves and  always try and buy success, all of which LFC despise with a passion.
      Please don't degrade our great club by comparing us to a bunch of cocksuckers  :f_steam:  ;)

erm, don't recall comparing us to the carlton blues  :confused-smiley-013:, i just said that aussie red barracks for them.

Quick Reply