Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Cost cutting? or Using money more wisely?

Read 17408 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Cost cutting? or Using money more wisely?
      Aug 21, 2013 04:38:36 pm
      OK, first off, this is not about FSG lining pockets, or stripping us down ready for sale.

I think it's a valid question.
      Is it needless cost cutting, or is it about working smarter with the money we have.

We all know that wages, transfers, bonuses have increased hugely since the Premier League came into being, along with Champions League replacing the old European Cup.

For years, as fans, we have bemoaned the amount players get paid.
      We have moaned about players on 100k a week being sat on the bench or kids being paid huge sums when they get their first contract.

Again, it's something we all know, and I daresay most (if not all) of us have had a moan about it at one time or another.

We also know (or should do) that competition for players is fierce, and that wages etc play a big part in a player joining a club.

However, what I'm talking about here is using the money we have in a better way.
      Few would argue that getting rid of Cole and Downing was bad business. They just weren't justifying the amount they earned.

Suarez, Gerrard, Agger and others however, were justifying their wages and got wage increases last year.

We have sold a number of players who weren't playing regularly, and in some cases probably never would, but were still paid a good wedge.

So, is cost cutting a bad thing?
      Well no, not in my opinion, as long as costs are not being cut for the sake of it or to take money out of the club.

Any business has to run as a self sustaining entity, unless you have a sugar daddy owner and even then you are at the mercy of his continued interest.
      So with that in mind, I'd say we are in a reasonable position right now, with a solid platform to build on.
      We have trimmed our wage bill to a more realistic level, no more paying hundreds of thousands for players to warm the bench and got rid of players who couldn't cut it for whatever reason.

I say reasonable, because we also know the 1st team needs improving.
      We may only be 1 or 2 players short, but short is still short.

I don't think we are in a bad position because we have only the cups and league this year.

I don't think we are in a great position because we are still short a couple of players (maybe more) who can improve the first team.

I also think we are in a healthier financial position, simply because we are no longer supporting dead wood: players happy to sit on the bench (or in the treatment room).
      We have a decent squad which will get better.
      We have players to rotate in and out for the early cup rounds.

We may even do more business before the window closes.

So, all things considered, I would say that the so called cost cutting is more about using our money wisely instead of pissing it against the wall, which is what we seem to have been doing for the last 20 years or so.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Re: Cost cutting? or Using money more wisely?
      Reply #1: Aug 21, 2013 05:12:07 pm
      Why spend money for the sake of it? Why should they be held to ransom A) by other clubs B) by players over wages.

Im glad they aren't throwing money around to impress all of us know alls only for it to come crashing down around us in a year or 2 or 5.

I actually cant be arsed saying anymore. The first people in here praising them when they bought us are the first throwing the boot in for no real reason (aside from the Kenny treatment) what have they done so wrong?

Question if they spent massive money on average to good players would be all happy that they are spending big or annoyed they are spending big on wrong players? What do you people want?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #2: Aug 21, 2013 05:21:02 pm
      Using what money?

Negative net spend at the moment.
      If we are going to discuss spending money more wisely should we do it when we aren't performing sell to buy policies?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Aug 21, 2013 05:25:33 pm

I want to see the club spend what it generates on improving squad to help us compete at the top, just like John Henry said  we would.

Is that too much to ask ?

I'm not asking for a £200m net spend, I'm not asking for an unsustainable wage bill.

Lets look at it this way, the club has generated in excess of £95m this season through various forms, TV money, sponsors, corporate partners, sales.

Lets half that to be pleasant £47.5m for a transfer budget.

We have a minus £5m net spend.

Now out of all the players in the world football, is there not one, two, maybe even three players that would improve the squad and give us a chance to compete at the top ?

Of course there is.

No amount of dressing up can paint it otherwise.

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      Reply #4: Aug 21, 2013 05:28:15 pm
      I want to see the club spend what it generates on improving squad to help us compete at the top, just like John Henry said  we would.

Is that too much to ask ?

I'm not asking for a £200m net spend, I'm not asking for an unsustainable wage bill.

Lets look at it this way, the club has generated in excess of £95m this season through various forms, TV money, sponsors, corporate partners, sales.

Lets half that to be pleasant £47.5m for a transfer budget.

We have a minus £5m net spend.

Now out of all the players in the world football, is there not one, two, maybe even three players that would improve the squad and give us a chance to compete at the top ?

Of course there is.

No amount of dressing up can paint it otherwise.

You name the players you want. Then from that list name who would be available and from your narrowed down list how much would you pay and what wage would you pay. On the final one do you think that we'd get those players at that price/wage?
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #5: Aug 21, 2013 05:33:24 pm
      You name the players you want. Then from that list name who would be available and from your narrowed down list how much would you pay and what wage would you pay. On the final one do you think that we'd get those players at that price/wage?

In fairness, it's not Daz's job to be Chief LFC scout and negotiator.
      People get paid a lot of money to do that, and if they can't do the job
      right then they should find somebody who can.

Preferably before it's too late.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #6: Aug 21, 2013 05:33:49 pm
      Ever come across a new thread and said to yourself ''I bet I know who kicked that off.''
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #7: Aug 21, 2013 05:34:56 pm

Its not my job to name the players I want mate, what wages i'd pay etc.

We signed 4 players earlier in the season Toure, Aspas, Alberto, Mignolet, we haven't broke the bank in terms of transfer fee's or wages, quite the contrary, we've made a profit and saved on wages, same with Cissokho, now these 5 players have improved the squad do you agree ?

So with that in mind, I'm not bothered about Micky Ryan, I'm not bothered about Costa, I'm not bothered about Willian, because in all honesty I think we could spend the money better and bring in two or three players.

To me the dreaded 'Marquee signing' we are trying to sign and getting thwarted at every attempt, seems like its just to appease some one, maybe Suarez, maybe the fans.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      Reply #8: Aug 21, 2013 05:37:13 pm
      In fairness, it's not Daz's job to be Chief LFC scout and negotiator.
      People get paid a lot of money to do that, and if they can't do the job
      right then they should find somebody who can.

Preferably before it's too late.

My point is Racer people are having a pop without possibly knowing outside of there twitter accounts what this club is doing. We could be bidding for Messi and Ronaldo only to be told there wage demands. Why should they put the club  in financial troubles to sign a certain player. Likewise if we go in for say Willian and are told its 32 million why should they follow up on it when hes not treally worth it?

I understand peoples frustrations on not signing big name players but how many are out there and available? And don't forget where we were 2 years ago do we want to go back there? 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Aug 21, 2013 05:39:56 pm
      Ever come across a new thread and said to yourself ''I bet I know who kicked that off.''

It's easy to tell because the person who starts a thread is written right underneath it.

Anything constructive to say?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      Reply #10: Aug 21, 2013 05:40:44 pm
      Its not my job to name the players I want mate, what wages i'd pay etc.

The purpose of my question to you blood was you know your football and whats out there. I was asking your opinion on who we could get in because people seem to think these things should just happen as were Liverpool we can sign anyone. It doesn't work that way and we don't have a pot of gold. Sorry but Im glad we don't have reckless owners who could put our future in doubt
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #11: Aug 21, 2013 05:44:03 pm
      It's easy to tell because the person who starts a thread is written right underneath it.

Anything constructive to say?

I know I checked it out as you would.

You wouldn't know constructive if it ran over you lad.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Aug 21, 2013 05:49:07 pm

I understand peoples frustrations on not signing big name players but how many are out there and available? And don't forget where we were 2 years ago do we want to go back there? 

Let's not get stuck at where we could have been either.
      Look at where we are now.

Several years out of the Champions League and on the verge of becoming a midtable club.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #13: Aug 21, 2013 05:51:09 pm
      The purpose of my question to you blood was you know your football and whats out there. I was asking your opinion on who we could get in because people seem to think these things should just happen as were Liverpool we can sign anyone. It doesn't work that way and we don't have a pot of gold. Sorry but Im glad we don't have reckless owners who could put our future in doubt

Well firstly mate I'd go out and try and secure a deal for Sakho from PSG £10 - £15m should do the trick.

Then I'd go to Fiorentina and try sign Adem Ljajic (Striker) again I guess a £15m bid would be enough to do business.

Then i'd stick a £15m bid in for Oliver Torres from Atletico (Midfielder creative play maker).

All young enough to fall in with our transfer policy and wage budget maybe with the exception of Sakho as I have no idea what wages he's on at PSG.

All three in my opinion would improve us more than one Mickey Ryan, or one Costa or one Willian.

That's just one example using our transfer policy as a means.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #14: Aug 21, 2013 05:53:27 pm
      Why spend money for the sake of it? Why should they be held to ransom A) by other clubs B) by players over wages.

Im glad they aren't throwing money around to impress all of us know alls only for it to come crashing down around us in a year or 2 or 5.

I actually cant be arsed saying anymore. The first people in here praising them when they bought us are the first throwing the boot in for no real reason (aside from the Kenny treatment) what have they done so wrong?

Question if they spent massive money on average to good players would be all happy that they are spending big or annoyed they are spending big on wrong players? What do you people want?

Personally, I think they are heading in the right direction.

When they took over we had woy, who bought awful players.
      Then we had KK who also bought awful players. The fact that commoli did the deals is irrelevant, because KK was the one who wanted them and told him to go and get them.
      Downing wouldn't have become a better player just because he was 10 million less or on 30k a week, but he might have been a more acceptable squad player. The same goes for Adam, and perhaps Carroll.

So from the perspective of a minimum of 3 years to turn the club around (said by Broughton, and I agree with him) we have twice had setbacks with players in the squad who were simply not good enough, which in turn means that rebuilding takes longer.

We've got rid of the players who weren't up to standard, brought in players who fit BR's system, and have been trying to sign a big player all summer.
      Whether the squad is weaker than at the end of last season is debatable. I wouldn't say it is, but that's just my opinion. Certainly the squad is better than at the end of last summers transfer window, and may get stronger yet.

A wage bill of much more than 50%-60% of turnover is not sustainable without owners pumping their own money in. (and they said from day 1 they wouldn't do that)
      Transfer fees have been hiked for us for years because we were seen as a soft touch.
      Agents fees have been a pisstake for years.
      Wages for older players (and younger) sitting on the bench picking up a fortune have also been a pisstake.

We all know these things.

Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #15: Aug 21, 2013 05:55:23 pm
      I know I checked it out as you would.

You wouldn't know constructive if it ran over you lad.

Here's an idea fella: if you don't like what I write or have to say, put me on ignore, because that's what I'll be doing with you if you keep on being a F***ing WUM, and that's what you're doing, looking for a reaction like an overgrown F***ing child.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #16: Aug 21, 2013 05:56:54 pm
      Here's a title we could of gone with:

Spending money wisely or just getting F***ing lucky!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #17: Aug 21, 2013 05:57:51 pm

Several years out of the Champions League and on the verge of becoming a midtable club.

Stating fact is apparently not permitted in this thread to establish if we are indeed the victim of enforced economics or otherwise, better climb back on the cart playing the reggae mate.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,208 posts | 8566 
      Reply #18: Aug 21, 2013 05:58:58 pm
      Personally, I think they are heading in the right direction.

When they took over we had woy, who bought awful players.
      Then we had KK who also bought awful players. T

Then came Brendan and he's bought some awful players too!

It's basically like a neverending merry go round.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #19: Aug 21, 2013 06:02:34 pm

I don't want to lay too much praise at the door of bacon face, but let's not forget how long it took him to build a side capable of winning the title, and even though I am not a fan of the bloke, he has shown that he knows how to build, and rebuild a side time and time again.

Arguably, it was easier to do back then as well.

People would have fair points if we were not re-building, but we are, and also paying for the mistakes of previous managers.
      Situations like the one we found ourselves in are not fixed overnight.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #20: Aug 21, 2013 06:06:17 pm
      Here's an idea fella: if you don't like what I write or have to say, put me on ignore, because that's what I'll be doing with you if you keep on being a F***ing WUM, and that's what you're doing, looking for a reaction like an overgrown F***ing child.

I'm doing exactly what you seem intent on without the expletives and idiotic suggestions that are your trademark,  how am I a wum?? Questioning and faulting your assertions does appear to rile you and prompts you to answer questions with questions and F**k and blind;please put me on ignore, pretty please.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #21: Aug 21, 2013 06:07:44 pm
      A team that can compete and win. The same as "you people", I'm guessing.  :roll:

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #22: Aug 21, 2013 06:09:20 pm
      what a load of F***ing bollocks. If they don't know the market for players transfer fees or wages what the F**k are they doing here.Never seen such a stupid pro FSG thread on here its getting absurd

Quick Reply