Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Cost cutting? or Using money more wisely?

Read 17411 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: Cost cutting? or Using money more wisely?
      Reply #23: Aug 21, 2013 06:10:33 pm
      I think it's a valid question.Is it needless cost cutting, or is it about working smarter with the money we have.

Have got no problem with shipping players off the wage bill that weren't doing it, particularly considering that we have no European football this season and a big squad with not enough football to go around doesn't help anybody. No problem releasing players like Downing, Spearing, Shelvey etc if they are not in the managers plans. I didn't much agree with how the Reina situation was handled mind, it was shoddy from start to finish.

But as for players coming in? It's not been good has it? We added some nice touches to the squad early doors (as BR had stated) but attempts to improve the first team have been a complete failure so far, nothing has been achieved. There's still some time to rectify it but i'm not filled with much confidence.

I can't believe John Henry can on the one hand talk about the Champions League and how that is where we belong and what we are aspiring to reach and then expect Rodgers to get us there with this frugal approach. The two don't add up. there is a complete lack of understanding from where our starting point is. Spurs have placed 4th or 5th every season for the last 5-6 years. Arsenal have never been out of the top 4.

Our starting position is a ways back. So are we trying to be the tortoise or the hare? I guess we don't have the money to be the hare but the tortoise isn't going to get there, not a chance. This time next year suarez will be wanting out again, Coutinho as well, Stevie will be another year older and we may even find we're at risk to losing youngsters like Sterling.

We may even do more business before the window closes.

You say this bit as if it would be a real bonus if we did, and that you are fairly content with what the club have done so far. If we don't do more business and good business at that we are buggered this season, at least from a getting into the top 4 point of view. The club HAVE to look at our rivals and see how we compare. At the moment we don't, simple as that. If redressing that balance means stretching a little further on a transfer for a player the manager wants then do it ffs but we didn't and by the looks of it, we probably won't. So i'm not holding out a great deal of hope for this tortoise, at least not whilst it's being steered by these guys.
      « Last Edit: Aug 21, 2013 06:20:10 pm by Scottbot »
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,479 posts | 217 
      Reply #24: Aug 21, 2013 06:11:52 pm
      it is  a very clear sense for me that its spending money more wisely, its simple really, we got rid of the dead wood, unless the players are brought in are high caliber, they should be offered sensible wages

people keep going on and on about "well spend the money we saved!" what we are saying which is not getting through is that WE ARE TRYING. the club has bought their squad players, all that is left is for first team improvements, that means buying top quality players, this is not football manager

sadly other clubs are more attractive which led us to lose a couple of our targets and also some clubs will pay more

I don't see their point at all, we are trying and willing to spend it, how is it fsgs fault they are rejecting us?

redlfcblood, the issue what you seem to be posting is more against rodgers in terms of how to improve the team, which makes it more unusual as to why you were having a go at fsg at money not being spent

if rodgers wants 3 squad players, he can get them, its his choice, but rodgers wants one big player now, so the club have backed him with the fees and are trying to get that player in, when someone wants to move to lfc, they will agree, if not we will move on

to answer the thread question

using money more wisely is the best thing to happen to us
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #25: Aug 21, 2013 06:12:30 pm
      I'm doing exactly what you seem intent on without the expletives and idiotic suggestions that are your trademark,  how am I a wum?? Questioning and faulting your assertions does appear to rile you and prompts you to answer questions with questions and F**k and blind;please put me on ignore, pretty please.

What assertions have you questioned in this thread?

None.
      You just posted looking for a reaction, which means you're on a windup, which makes you a F***ing WUM.

I was also unaware that "expletives" were not allowed.
      I'll make sure to post in more cunting motherfucking cocksucking wankfaced appropriate manner in future.
      KeepTheFaith
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,479 posts | 217 
      Reply #26: Aug 21, 2013 06:13:17 pm
      Have got no problem with shipping players off the wage bill that weren't doing it, particularly considering that we have no European football this season and a big squad with not enough football to go around doesn't help anybody. No problem releasing players like Downing, Spearing, Shelvey etc if they are not in the managers plans. I didn't much agree with how the Reina situation was handled mind, it was shoddy from start to finish.

But as for players coming in? It's not been good has it? We added some nice touches to the squad early doors (as BR had stated) but attempts to improve the first team have been a complete failure so far, nothing has been achieved. There's still some time to rectify it but i'm not filled with much confidence.

I can't believe John Henry can on the one hand talk about the Champions League and how that is where we belong and what we are aspiring to reach and then expect Rodgers to get us there with this frugal approach. The two don't add up. there is a complete lack of understanding from where our starting point is. Spurs have placed 4th or 5th every season for the last 5-6 years. Arsenal have never been out of the top 4.

Our starting position is a ways back. So are we trying to be the tortoise or the hare? I guess we don't have the money to be the hare but the tortoise isn't going to get there, not a chance. This time next year suarez will be wanting out again, Coutinho as well, Stevie will be another year older and we may even find we're at risk to losing youngsters like Sterling.

You say this bit as if it would be a real bonus if we did, and that you are fairly content with what the club have done so far. If we don't do more business and good business at that we are buggered this season, at least from a getting into the top 4 point of view. The club HAVE to look at our rivals and see how we compare. At the moment we don't, simple as that.

again at your bottom part, the club is TRYING, what more do you want? we are trying to rival them but players are rejecting us, simple as that. if we were sat back and not trying to bring in players then I agree but the fact the club is trying makes the bottom point really odd to understand mate
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #27: Aug 21, 2013 06:14:05 pm
      it is  a very clear sense for me that its spending money more wisely, its simple really, we got rid of the dead wood, unless the players are brought in are high caliber, they should be offered sensible wages

people keep going on and on about "well spend the money we saved!" what we are saying which is not getting through is that WE ARE TRYING. the club has bought their squad players, all that is left is for first team improvements, that means buying top quality players, this is not football manager

sadly other clubs are more attractive which led us to lose a couple of our targets and also some clubs will pay more

I don't see their point at all, we are trying and willing to spend it, how is it fsgs fault they are rejecting us?

redlfcblood, the issue what you seem to be posting is more against rodgers in terms of how to improve the team, which makes it more unusual as to why you were having a go at fsg at money not being spent

if rodgers wants 3 squad players, he can get them, its his choice, but rodgers wants one big player now, so the club have backed him with the fees and are trying to get that player in, when someone wants to move to lfc, they will agree, if not we will move on

to answer the thread question

using money more wisely is the best thing to happen to us

None.
      You just posted looking for a reaction, which means you're on a windup, which makes you a f**king WUM.

I'll make sure to post in more cunting motherfucking cocksucking wankfaced appropriate manner in future.
      now we have two.
      PastorGeek
      • Not Actual Geek
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,551 posts | 726 
      Reply #28: Aug 21, 2013 06:15:35 pm
      We arent in the position SPEND or have a sugar daddy

We had a lot of flops/average players on High wages.

it is necessary when you consider what happened to leeds.

I think the main areas of consideration are Net Spend and Weekly Wages.

It completely fair to work within budget under these circumstances.

To me there are bargains out there if we scout negotiate well.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,214 posts | 8569 
      Reply #29: Aug 21, 2013 06:18:20 pm
      again at your bottom part, the club is TRYING, what more do you want? we are trying to rival them but players are rejecting us, simple as that. if we were sat back and not trying to bring in players then I agree but the fact the club is trying makes the bottom point really odd to understand mate

We're recreating the Everton FC transfer policy of the 90s! Get linked to all the big named players, buy not one single one.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #30: Aug 21, 2013 06:19:16 pm

You say this bit as if it would be a real bonus if we did, and that you are fairly content with what the club have done so far. If we don't do more business and good business at that we are buggered this season, at least from a getting into the top 4 point of view. The club HAVE to look at our rivals and see how we compare. At the moment we don't, simple as that.

Good post, and although I disagree with some points, it's pretty small stuff, apart from the bit in bold at the end which I'd like to answer with this:
      I'm reasonably content with the business we have done so far, but I agree we need to bring in more players before the end of the window.
      If we don't do that, we won't be getting into the top 4, and maybe not even Europa league unless we win a cup.

Put another way, if we don't get at least one more in, it will be a decent window because we have improved in a couple of areas, but it won't be enough to significantly improve us.
      On the other hand, if we can add 1 or 2 more and keep the form we showed after christmas, then we are in with a shout.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #31: Aug 21, 2013 06:23:43 pm
      We're recreating the Everton FC transfer policy of the 90s! Get linked to all the big named players, buy not one single one.
      remember the south American who barely touched down before going back home when he realised who it was his agent had lined him up for and how much they paid.Hello here comes the FSG revival of that policy we will be a laughing stock and unable to sign top players soon.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #32: Aug 21, 2013 06:57:27 pm
      I haven't read this thread. I'm gonna assume its about not renewing season tickets. Mine will be lent to someone else, as I'm not some kind of football masochist.

For a second, I had some daft idea that someone was gonna come on here and defend the SleightofHand Crew in showing a player investment  budget 50m below CARDIFF this year.

(Yes thats right CARDIFF have planned to spent upto 50m this Summer, and have spent 30m so far).

If someone thinks using our money to buy John Henry and his hedge fund mates new yachts is "using money more wisely" then I really pity them...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,006 posts | 3953 
      Reply #33: Aug 21, 2013 07:01:22 pm

None.
      You just posted looking for a reaction, which means you're on a windup, which makes you a F***ing WUM.

You did say you were putting me on ignore.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #34: Aug 21, 2013 07:10:11 pm
      I haven't read this thread. I'm gonna assume its about not renewing season tickets. Mine will be lent to someone else, as I'm not some kind of football masochist.

For a second, I had some daft idea that someone was gonna come on here and defend the SleightofHand Crew in showing a player investment  budget 50m below CARDIFF this year.

(Yes thats right CARDIFF have planned to spent upto 50m this Summer, and have spent 30m so far).

If someone thinks using our money to buy John Henry and his hedge fund mates new yachts is "using money more wisely" then I really pity them...

Again, you are saying that FSG are taking money out of the club.

Show us the proof.
      Show us the accounts.
      Show us unequivocally where this money has gone and that JWH (a $ billionaire) and his mates (more billionaires) have pissed about ripping off what is for them, a trifling amount.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #35: Aug 21, 2013 07:11:47 pm
      Again, you are saying that FSG are taking money out of the club.

Show us the proof.
      Show us the accounts.
      Show us unequivocally where this money has gone and that JWH (a $ billionaire) and his mates (more billionaires) have pissed about ripping off what is for them, a trifling amount.
      why don't you prove they aren't it works both ways
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #36: Aug 21, 2013 07:22:01 pm

Arsenal are trying to sign players, they bid 40 mill for Suarez and then 10 mill for Cabaye but guess what they've signed no one whilst their bitter north London rivals go all out to steal that 4th spot and perhaps higher. If they reach the end of the window having signed no one do you think the gooners will be happy? Because they tried? ,

I don't think so and the same applies to us.

This getting better slowly, and at least w"e're making some progress because the squad looks a bit better" approach is horse shi...t. It's not enough. It sounds like a Houllier 5 year plan TO GET INTO THE TOP 4. And even if we do/have made some progress this year, what about next summer when our best players want to leave again? buy a few more lads from the Spanish 2nd division and see if we can pick off a few more castoffs from the BIG 4 or perhaps a few more astute loan signings?

This softly softly catchee monkey approach will only get you so far, maybe back into the Europa League but that's about it.

Anyways it looks like the thread has down been derailed.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #37: Aug 21, 2013 07:22:13 pm

No it doesn't because I am not the one saying something is true then having nothing to back it up.

It's up to those spreading the bullshit to prove what they say is true, because they are the ones making accusations.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #38: Aug 21, 2013 07:28:55 pm
      Well only a simpleton could dispute that they are cost-cutting. Using the money more wisely? Not so far anyhow but... you gotta have faith and give them time before raising any concerns or else your thick, don't you know?  :-\

RedLFCBlood
      Reply #39: Aug 21, 2013 07:33:16 pm

£95m is missing currently.

Proof enough for me.

Eddieo
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,705 posts | 158 
      Reply #40: Aug 21, 2013 07:35:12 pm
      No it doesn't because I am not the one saying something is true then having nothing to back it up.

It's up to those spreading the bullshit to prove what they say is true, because they are the ones making accusations.

How do you know it is bullshit ?. You don't, unless you have access the clubs accounts ?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #41: Aug 21, 2013 07:37:52 pm
      Well only a simpleton could dispute that they are cost-cutting. Using the money more wisely? Not so far anyhow but... you gotta have faith and give them time before raising any concerns or else your thick, don't you know?  :-\

There's the bones of it in bold.

Is impatience doing peoples heads in so much?

I've got some faith in them, but I also have concerns.
      It's not all as black and white as some people make out.

By the way, you are aware that you can make a point without the sarky/sly little digs aren't you?
      Because we can all do that, it doesn't make posts any more persuasive.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #42: Aug 21, 2013 07:42:19 pm
      How do you know it is bullshit ?. You don't, unless you have access the clubs accounts ?

(sigh)

Until those throwing the accusations around have proved it, it's bullshit.
      If the accusations have merit, it's up to them to prove their assertions.

It's not up to anyone to disprove anything, because they haven't made the assertion in the first place.

We're not having a philosophical discussion in the Schrodingers cat style for fucks sake, it's all pretty simple.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #43: Aug 21, 2013 07:43:17 pm

Well technically you are because you can't back up what your saying yourself and it is only your personal view that is saying that it's not true. Pot Kettle Black.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #44: Aug 21, 2013 07:48:07 pm
      Ever come across a new thread and said to yourself ''I bet I know who kicked that off.''

Nope, but I've seen ones that I can guess eight out of the ten first people that are going to reply in it ;).
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #45: Aug 21, 2013 07:48:58 pm
      All they have done from DAY ONE is slash wages, and adopt a sell to buy policy. So our net spend is basically zero.

To even stand still we need to spend 25m a year or more.

So we are going backwards!

Debt has gone from about 40m to 80something million, the last figure I heard. With a 120m overdraft facility. Yet our income is GIGANTIC!

They don't even NEED to take money out of the LFC and Athl Grounds Ltd accounts (the "club") to take money out in PRACTICE.

The whole thing is done on leverage, a chain of companies. If Fenway's bankers see cash in LFC&AG Ltd, they will let Fenway take money out further up in the chain of companies. Or take it out as a  "permanent loan" ie never gets paid back.

Again, nothing would show up the the LFC&AG Ltd accounts.

Fenway are pretty pr astute. Thats why they did a little net spend in the Kenny transfer summer. But ofcourse that was all funded by wage cuts, not to mention the Mereiles sale etc. And brutal wage cuts the following year.

So ask yourselves the questions, WHY HAVENT THEY INVESTED ANY OF OUR MONEY?
      WHY HAVENT THEY MAINTAINED THE SQUAD, LET ALONE IMPROVE IT?
      WHY HAVE THEY SLASHED COSTS LIKE THEY'RE MARGARET THATCHER GOING INTO A STATE SCHOOL BUDGET MEETING ON ACID?

Answer:Because its ALL ABOUT THE MONEY THEY CAN MAKE!!

PS any SleightofHands Crew fans, I'm off out. We all know the truth, so don't try and hoodwink us, or bombard us with the Jen Chang routines.. We all saw what he was about, didn't we?

Quick Reply