Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 5th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P3 W2 D1 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Our first away game of the season, will we come away as winners?

Away win?
      70 (71.4%)
      Hard fought draw?
      23 (23.5%)
      Sad defeat?
      5 (5.1%)

Total Members Voted: 95

Aston Villa V Liverpool pre match thread. Sat 24th Aug. 5:30 KO

Read 11093 times
      Ribapuru
      • Banned
      • Started Topic

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Aston Villa V Liverpool pre match thread. Sat 24th Aug. 5:30 KO
      Aug 22, 2013 09:28:55 pm

I don't see this being an easy game. Villa don't look like pushovers. I expect Liverpool to win around 2-0.
      I would go with,

Sturridge

Coutinho                             Aspas
                 Gerrard Lucas Hendo

Enrique Agger Toure Johnson

Mignolet

Subs: Jones,  Skrtel, Cissokho, Alberto,  Allen, Borini

I think Sterling and Ibe aren't ready yet.
      « Last Edit: Aug 22, 2013 10:11:42 pm by MsGerrard »
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Re: Aston Villa pre match thread. Sat 24th Aug.
      Reply #1: Aug 22, 2013 09:32:22 pm
      After the way they've played against Arsenal I think this is going to be a tricky game. Given our apparent lack of finishing I think this will be a tight one with 1-0 to us.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Re: Aston Villa pre match thread. Sat 24th Aug.
      Reply #2: Aug 22, 2013 09:33:58 pm

WOOOO!

Aston Villa are a very good side judging from their two games. Beat Arsenal and deserved a draw against Chelsea.

We need to play well to beat them and Benteke will be a threat. Need Kolo and Agger to play well. They have lots of pace too so they will be dangerous on the break.

We can't afford to lose though. Got to get some momentum and they've played a midweek game so the players might be a little tired towards the end.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Re: Aston Villa pre match thread. Sat 24th Aug. 5:30 KO
      Reply #3: Aug 22, 2013 09:42:08 pm
      I can't see us being able to contain Benteke I'm expecting a similar affair to this fixture at the back end of last season, end to end. Hopefully we will score more than they do.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #4: Aug 22, 2013 09:49:37 pm
       I fancy us strong. We're a good team, if it hadn't been for Begovic we'd have won three or four at the weekend. 3-0 here.
      harrydunn08

• 5,930 posts | 971 
      Reply #5: Aug 22, 2013 09:56:47 pm
      Villa have looked dangerous, but to be fair it was more about poor defending from Arsenal that led to the first peno, and the 2nd peno subsequent red card and final goal were all a bit fortunate for Villa. 

If we can play the way we did against Stoke by dominating possession and creating loads of chances then I fancy us to win quite comfortably.  However, an early goal from them could see this turn into a real dogfight!!

I'd play the same team we played against Stoke, and I expect us to win.  Going for 3-0 with a Sturridge brace and Aspas getting his first of the season!!
      kelvo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,207 posts | 52 
      Reply #6: Aug 22, 2013 09:57:34 pm
      We have a good record at Villa park and seems they are set up to hit teams on the break.

Can see us having majority of possession and as long as we keep it tight at the back no reason we pick up another 3 points here.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #7: Aug 22, 2013 10:00:28 pm
      Have done really well to forget the horror result against these guys at Anfield back in December. They did similar to Arsenal on Saturday. Had to update my brother on the score and the texts were apologetic as hell!

I think we've come on leaps and bounds since then however which was marked in the 2-1 result at Villa Park back in April. BUT the Anfield result back in December must act as a canny reminder that it is important to put these guys to bed when we are on top because BAM they can have one counter attack and then they score. It's very clever management by Lambert I must say.

We like to play with high defensive lines so does that mean we will have to drop back to counter the threat of Benteke and Agbonlahor and their counter attack or do we keep the high line and play our own game? Dilemma.
      MsGerrard
      Re: Aston Villa V Liverpool pre match thread. Sat 24th Aug. 5:30 KO
      Reply #8: Aug 22, 2013 10:21:10 pm
      Looking forward to this game, my first away game for over a season (so hard to get tickets) but thanks to a very good friend, I will be cheering the lads on at Villa Park with the travelling kop  :scarf:

Going to be a tough game, even harder than against Stoke last Sat, hoping we pulverise their goal and a few more actually go in this time, a first away win would be good and i'm going for a 2-1 to the redmen.

And I'd keep the same team as last week, why change a winning formula  8)

Come on you REDS, do us proud  :kop5cf8koxp6:

Poll Added
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,511 posts | 2871 
      Reply #9: Aug 22, 2013 11:06:19 pm
      Going to be a tricky game, Villa did really well in both their tough games so far. Really need to watch them on the counter especially.

Mignolet; Wisdom, Toure, Agger, Enrique; Lucas, Gerrard, Hendo; Aspas, Sturridge, Coutinho.

Use Ibe and Sterling from the bench if we need a goal.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,388 posts | 1543 
      Reply #10: Aug 22, 2013 11:41:26 pm
      Villa's pacey counterattacking football, beat the arse, and gave chelsea a few problems. Think we might struggle and i've gone for the draw. Hope Brendan can come up with a tactical masterplan to beat these and I'll be assured he really is the man for us.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,895 posts | 6822 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #11: Aug 22, 2013 11:43:20 pm
      Not really looking forward to this game. Going to be tricky. Would have been confident normally playing against this lot as we have a good record home and away against them, but the thought of Bendteke up front for them has me feeling a little bit uncomfortable.

I'm still going for a 2-1 win to us because I could never tip against us. Sturridge and Aspas to get on the scoresheet.

Let's do this lads.
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #12: Aug 22, 2013 11:48:33 pm
      Always a tough game against Villa and theyve looked very good against ARSEnal and Chelsea, think if we can mark Benteke out the game (easier said than done) we stand a VERY good chance of a win.

Mignolet
           Johnson   Toure   Agger   Enrique
                         Gerrard   Lucas
                            Henderson
                    Aspas          Coutinho
                              Sturridge

Jones; Kelly, Cissokho; Allen, Alberto; Borini, Sterling

Realistically I think it'll be a hard-fought draw, but a win would be very good for us, especially going into the United game. But 1-1 I think, Aspas + Benteke.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #13: Aug 22, 2013 11:58:27 pm
      It's good for us that they played a tough game away to Chelsea in midweek so I'd like to think we should be that little bit sharper for than them for this one. We've got a great record at Villa Park, in fact it must be one of our happiest hunting grounds along with St James Park. I could see us drawing this 2-2.

I would expect us to stick with the. Same side as our opener.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #14: Aug 23, 2013 12:01:05 am
       I have fond memories of Villa Park from the semi final in 1965,in that match we beat Chelsea 2-0.A similar result against Villa will do just fine,We have got to aim for 3 points in all these early matches.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,685 posts | 6981 
      Reply #15: Aug 23, 2013 12:02:25 am
      Decent start for Villa, although they have had two games already this week.

We should make the most of our fitness advantage, and I'd be very disappointed if we dropped points against them.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #16: Aug 23, 2013 05:06:36 am
      Oh yes, a football match to talk about rather than the drivel inspired transfer news. Extremely cautious about this game. We could as easily blow them away as get beat in the same fashion. How we handle Benteke is the key factor in this match. Im guessing it will be Kolo who looks after him (or at least tries) with Agger sweeping up behind. Lucas will have a busy day i predict. Knock downs from Benteke and keeping as eye on runners from midfield. Have to play our strengths and use our fluent game to get behind the sometimes naive back line of Villa, Coutinho especially could flourish once more against Villa. Its important that we do not let Villa get wind in their sales, they clearly operate with pace and enthusiasm so stifling that will be beneficial.
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,133 posts | 456 
      Reply #17: Aug 23, 2013 05:24:09 am
      I think 3 excellent performances will be push for Villa.  I think we will win this by 2 goals.  I'll go 3-1 too. 
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,330 posts | 774 
      Reply #18: Aug 23, 2013 06:53:03 am
      Need to keep the momentum going at Villa Park, after last week's win, another 3 points would be great 2 - 1 for the Reds.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #19: Aug 23, 2013 07:11:27 am
      With the mancs up next it's vital imo to get 3 points here. I can see a few goals in this one too.

A hard fought win is my prediction.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,529 posts | 3466 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #20: Aug 23, 2013 10:03:37 am
      same again teamwise, hope we can cope with Villa's physical style of play and Benteke who isn't really my cup of tea but a real handful.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #21: Aug 23, 2013 10:06:12 am
      Sadly I think Benteke will be too strong for us and I'm going for a draw.
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #22: Aug 23, 2013 10:08:50 am
      I've gone for the win but this game could show up our defensive weaknesses. Benteke and Gabby are the obvious danger men.

A side that plays counter attacking will always be difficult for us because of our high line so I'd like to see Henderson to start for his willingness to get back.

Quick Reply