Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

If we don't spend any more money, what will happen this season?

Read 17017 times
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      If we don't spend any more money, what will happen this season?
      Aug 26, 2013 01:38:48 pm
       So we're all rushing round saying that we should spend some f*cking money on some quality players (me included). If we don't though, say the limit of our transfer ambitions are the Victor Moses's of this world (on loan), what can and do we realistically expect to happen this season?

For my part, I actually think we've got a pretty good team. On our day (particularly if we keep Suarez and I'm assuming we will) we'll give anyone a game, and we'll win lots of football matches. I think the defence with the addition of Toure and Mignolet is better, while I'm not personally that sure that Aspas is that much of an improvement on Downing. It seems likely to me though that we will continue to play a fair bit better than our last seasons finishing position suggests (simply because we have been for quite a while now, not just this season) and we ought to be in with a shout for the top four for most of the season.

Will we get there? Probably not unless we can have a miraculous season for avoiding injuries and suspensions. There are two or three players for which we simply have no credible cover (Mignolet, Gerrard, Lucas, Coutinho, currently Sturridge etc) and our challenge will peter out fairly quickly if we lose one or more of those players. Equally, I think as the season progresses we'll struggle to break down park the bus teams with Henderson/Allen filling in at number 10.

So my guess is we'll have our best quarter of results (9 games) in the first nine, then we'll have a dodgy one upto the next window. Then we'll get another opportunity to back the manager and the players we already have with some reinforcements. If we do that even half as well as we did last Christmas, we'll be left regretting our "dodgy November and December" for not achieving our potential. The reality is though, the seeds for that dip in form are being sown right now.
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: If we don't spend any more money, what will happen this season?
      Reply #1: Aug 26, 2013 01:46:34 pm
      I think we'll do better this season than we did last as we'll not be relying on Suso and Sterling to have as big an impact on the first team, added to the fact we've probably brought in players who will have a bigger in some cases and similar in others impact than  those who have left, Aspas/Downing, Alberto/Shelvey, Toure/Carra, Mignolet/Reina, Cissokho, Robinson, added to that we have Coutinho and Sturridge for a full season.

Still don't think that's enough for a Champions League spot and I'd like us to abandon this 'Marquee' signing its reported we've been trying to make, use the money to benefit the squad better and try and get the two/three players we may be short.

As Rodgers often states, the team is the 'Star', this whole Marquee signing, kinda goes against that.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #2: Aug 26, 2013 02:00:24 pm
      We'll win the League.

Simple.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #3: Aug 26, 2013 02:03:02 pm
      We'll do alright but nothing spectacular. 

Our starting 11 isn't bad although we're still fairly restricted in midfield in terms of changing things up a bit. 

We need the set up to be almost perfect for every game, especially against those teams not usually competing for the top 4.  These are the games we need to be taking 3 points from, home and away.  If we can do that it doesn't matter if we drop points to the top teams.

My real concerns is injuries.  Lose any of our starting 11 for more than a game or two and we're in trouble.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #4: Aug 26, 2013 02:06:55 pm

I just love your optimism Billy, you've never lost it in all the time I've been on the forum.  Yes it's how we should all be but you stand out like a shining beacon.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #5: Aug 26, 2013 02:16:39 pm
      Confidence doesn't cost a penny and we've topped our tank up with 6 points on the board and if we can notch another 3 on Sunday BR's job will be to keep that winning mentality within the boys heads and to stick together...
      The points we gather over these next few games are just as crucial as the ones picked up in April/May...
      listening to Sturridges interview on MOTD he's buzzing and living the dream playing centre forward for Liverpool FC and no money in the world can buy that confidence...
      We've hit the ground running which is all we could ask for and who knows who or what will happen before transfer window closes..
      I'll comment on this one again in october...too early yet..
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #6: Aug 26, 2013 02:17:02 pm
      Well, if we continue to lack the ambition of a top side, we will become like Leeds and Forest.
      Once great teams that are no longer relevant in the modern game.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,141 posts | 3383 
      Reply #7: Aug 26, 2013 02:18:45 pm
      Well, if we continue to lack the ambition of a top side, we will become like Leeds and Forest.
      Once great teams that are no longer relevant in the modern game.

Leeds didn't lack ambition, they just spent money they didn't have and it cost them.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #8: Aug 26, 2013 02:20:47 pm

Not exactly in a bad position to do that right now. ;)
      LFCexiled
      Reply #9: Aug 26, 2013 02:29:59 pm
      The world as we know it will cease to exist.

Either that or we'll carry on regardless and get 4th.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #10: Aug 26, 2013 02:40:54 pm
      What will happen ?

We might get lucky.

The Scum might have a few bumps in the road.
      City were found wantng by Cardiff.
      The Arse may not have the potency they were looking for via Luis.
      Spurs have proved a pre contract agreement was made with Real Madrid. Levy wouldnt have bought Soldado without it.

Where does that leave us?

Still needing a Winger for Coutinho to play inside.
      A mercenary Midfielder ... Papadopoulous.

We are far from the complete works.

So we might get lucky ...... but should we be relying on luck ... or the teams that finished above us ?
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #11: Aug 26, 2013 02:51:10 pm
      We'll finish outside of the top 4 - too few game changing options against the big boys.

I'll still pick us to win every game in the match thread though  :laugh:
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #12: Aug 26, 2013 02:53:24 pm
      All depends on how we go with regards to injuries I think. The first 11 is decent (certainly not exceptional) but the squad looks a bit thin to me. If Coutinho for instance is ruled out for a while I think it could all go to sh*t quite quickly.

That was why I personally would have loved to see Willian here. Think we still need another player of that type.

We need more threats in the side. If we don't bring in another attacking mid/left winger then we might as well have kept hold of Downing. Surely Cissokho has not been brought to play there.

Surely can't be long now before rumours of Iker Munain kick in.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,427 posts | 6420 
      Reply #13: Aug 26, 2013 03:18:41 pm
      People saying "injuries" hit it on the head for me.

We are dangerously thin at a couple key positions. Adding quality to the first team would help the bench situation as it would push a starter on to the bench likely.

But at this point I think we know what we've got and that's what we have to go with. I think we'll finish 5th.....only to wonder whether we might have climbed to 4th or even 3rd if we'd have added the quality Brendan wanted.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,661 posts | 3895 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #14: Aug 26, 2013 03:38:36 pm
      Leeds didn't lack ambition, they just spent money they didn't have and it cost them.

I didn't say they did lack ambition.
      You can arrive at the same destination via different routes.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,927 posts | 969 
      Reply #15: Aug 26, 2013 03:50:56 pm
      It depends.  If luck is on our side and we punch above our weight then we could possibly still nick a top 4 spot.  However, if we get hit by injuries to key players and the ball bounces the other way, we could finish as low as 7th again.  I think our best 11 is right in line with what Arsenal or Spurs can field as their best 11.  However, I still feel that we are behind both of them when it comes to quality depth. 

I honestly think that our best 11 matches what the Scum have as their best 11, but they have way more options to switch things up and maintain a high level of quality while we lose a lot of quality if our best few players cannot be included....
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #16: Aug 26, 2013 03:57:31 pm
      Pretty much what's been said by the majority of people here injuries will be the major issue.

Basically the complete opposite of us.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,494 posts | 2868 
      Reply #17: Aug 26, 2013 03:59:55 pm
      Forum will go into meltdown for starters!

Just imagine this place after the window shuts if we don't sign more players! :D
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #18: Aug 26, 2013 04:54:51 pm
      Then John Henry can look further than holidays in Cornwall.. or Formby.

If we don't spend any more money, not like we've spent any anyway, then you can expect us to finish 6th. Anything above that would be an achievement and anything below would be the opposite. 6th would be realistic and Rodgers can return to Henry and say: "No champions league football, again. Do you actually understand how much money is generated in that competition alone? That would've paid a majority of Willians transfer fee." However I do not expect Rodgers to say this, as he is pretty much under J.Henrys thumb. If he dare challenges him, then would would be the outcome I'd hate to know.

John Henry doesn't want short term fixes, so don't expect any big signings. He failed to understand that short term fixes are actually of much importance, as it could mean getting Champions League football which then could lead to us focusing on long term fixes too whilst the money rolls in.

One can dream...
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,193 posts | 165 
      Reply #19: Aug 26, 2013 05:15:05 pm
      It depends on whether Aspas and Borini can score quite regularly and if L.alberto can play well too we'll be able t wait for January to sign good players but if not, we're going to be 6th or 7th. Our weakness lies on the wings which do not contribute enough in terms of goals at the moment but our season just started: I just hope Aspas and Borini find the form we are all expecting.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #20: Aug 26, 2013 05:15:55 pm
      No doubt people will bi*ch and moan and call for Henry's, Ayre's and Rodger's heads on a Tridet.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #21: Aug 26, 2013 05:39:20 pm
      As I said in the where will we finish thread, 5th, with the proviso that one quality attacking player could make the difference to fourth.  Whatever happens, barring injuries, this squad has enough quality and depth to see us through 18 league games and a handful of cup games. The pressure to add to that in January could be immense, we've been trying to add an attacking player for weeks and we do need, though not as pressing as the attacking option, a centre back and better cover for Lucas.

Hopefully this won't be miscontrued as a defence of FSG/Rodgers transfer policy, just an honest assessment of what I think we're capable of.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #22: Aug 26, 2013 05:44:59 pm
      No doubt people will bi*ch and moan and call for Henry's, Ayre's and Rodger's heads on a Tridet.

No one has said bad word about Rodgers. He has clearly shown the same ambition as us fans, he's just not been given the backing from the owner.

Quick Reply