Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Qatar World Cup

Read 12879 times
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Qatar World Cup
      Aug 29, 2013 11:20:35 am
      Why did fifa give the world cup to Qatar if its too warm to play football there in the summer? They want to move it to winter and cut across every major league in the world..seems extreme in order to hold a world cup in a country not renowned for football

Underhanded stuff at play of just fifa being the usual gobshites that they are?
      « Last Edit: Aug 29, 2013 12:35:50 pm by JD »
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Re: Qatar World Cup
      Reply #1: Aug 29, 2013 12:36:50 pm
      Why did fifa give the world cup to Qatar

Umm...

zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #2: Aug 29, 2013 12:40:38 pm
      Good answer! 

And valid too.

:lmao: :mad:
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #3: Aug 29, 2013 12:48:46 pm
      My friends parents live in Qatar, and while he was there a few months ago he visited this.

http://www.arabianbusiness.com/qatar-scores-goal-for-world-s-largest-football-489525.html#.Uh81GjtQHSg

So while they have a World Cup in 9 years, and they haven't built a single stadium, they've managed to build the worlds largest football.

The whole thing stinks.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #4: Aug 29, 2013 12:54:17 pm

I didn't like to come straight out with that for possible legal issues  :D
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #5: Aug 29, 2013 07:50:32 pm
      Diego LFC
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,326 posts | 2823 
      • Sempre Liverpool
      Reply #6: Aug 29, 2013 08:02:53 pm
      I also ask myself why FIFA pretend to have such a high moral ground on things such as racism and homophobia but give the next World Cup to a country like Russia.

I guess the same answer apply:

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #7: Aug 29, 2013 10:11:29 pm
      why don't the make the world cup like the CL then we could do away with stupid friendlies and have a final anywhere they wanted.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #8: Aug 30, 2013 12:14:50 am
      why don't the make the world cup like the CL then we could do away with stupid friendlies and have a final anywhere they wanted.

I'd go further Walt, scrap all Internationals during the league season.  Keep the Euros & World Cup as they are, every other summer, have qualifying tournaments. 
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #9: Aug 30, 2013 03:29:38 pm
      World Cup 2022: Platini tells Premier League to change dates

Uefa president Michel Platini has told English critics of his proposal to move the Qatar World Cup in 2022 to the winter to be more flexible.

The event's timing has been debated as Qatar's summers can be as hot as 50C.

Football Association chairman Greg Dyke has argued for a switch from June but the Premier League opposes the plan.

"I will say something to the English. We respect your calendar for 150 years - for one month in 150 years you can change," Platini, 58, said.

"I played in winter all my life, in the snow, in the rain, because of your calendar. You can change it for one month - I don't ask any more.

"In Qatar there is nobody there in June, they are all in Europe, it's 50C and you can do nothing. I have said that from the beginning and I was always transparent about that because I think it is time we take the World Cup to an Arabic country."

Premier League chief executive Richard Scudamore was adamant in his opposition when asked about it by BBC Sport this month, saying "moving it to the winter is the wrong way to go".

But there has been a less consistent message from key members of the FA.

Although Dyke hoped his own view that a summer tournament is "impossible" was shared by the rest of the organisation, predecessor David Bernstein told the BBC there should be a "rebidding process" after earlier suggesting a switch would be "fundamentally flawed".

To allay phealth fears over the high temperatures, officials from Qatar have said they intend to use air-conditioned stadiums and are researching the potential to create artificial clouds.

Platini will gauge the views of the European associations on the issue at a meeting in Dubrovnik, Croatia, in September. He hinted he would prefer to move the 2022 World Cup to January rather than November or December, so it did not disrupt any European club competitions.

The Frenchman also called for reform of the current transfer system. "I think transfers are a robbery," he said. "It's an opportunity for a lot of people to make a lot of money."

He acknowledged the desire from clubs to close the summer transfer window before the league season begins. This year for British teams, the market is open from the 1 July to 2 September.

He said: "I agree it is too long, but the whole world is involved and don't play at the same time as we do. The clubs also want to have transfers finished before the start of their competition."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23896436
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #10: Aug 30, 2013 03:47:10 pm
      The World Cup would be nothing without fans. If fans don't like it, don't turn up and don't watch on tv. Simple. Hate FIFA and UEFA (especially Platini). There is no reason why 2022 World Cup is being held in Qatar. I don't mind change, but I resist changing just to line FIFA's selfish pockets.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #11: Aug 30, 2013 04:10:51 pm
      The World Cup will happen in Qatar wether we like it or not, those countries who appose the move should not send their national teams to participate,but it still will take place.

Plenty of fear mongering over the weather, bit like the Beijing Olympics, the Qataris will pull this off no problem.
      jamo174
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 835 posts |
      Reply #12: Aug 30, 2013 07:39:39 pm
      The World Cup will happen in Qatar wether we like it or not, those countries who appose the move should not send their national teams to participate,but it still will take place.

Plenty of fear mongering over the weather, bit like the Beijing Olympics, the Qataris will pull this off no problem.

They may pull it off, but it will be in the winter.
      Bier
      Reply #13: Aug 30, 2013 08:38:13 pm
      If you ask me, they've planned to have it in the winter from the start. They just didn't bring that up right away because there would have been too much resistance. Instead now they're easing everybody into the idea, lobbying like crazy.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #14: Aug 30, 2013 09:36:42 pm
      Platini making a play for head of FIFA, perchance?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #15: Aug 30, 2013 11:53:59 pm
      World Cup 2022: Platini tells Premier League to change dates

"I will say something to the English. We respect your calendar for 150 years - for one month in 150 years you can change," Platini, 58, said.

"I played in winter all my life, in the snow, in the rain, because of your calendar. You can change it for one month - I don't ask any more.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/23896436

Have I missed something here or doesn't almost every top league in Europe also use the same schedule more or less as the English League?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      Reply #16: Aug 31, 2013 09:30:49 am
      What a knob. He never played in England in his life. Most European leagues take a break in winter so whats he banging on about? Tw*t
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #17: Sep 05, 2013 11:53:26 pm
      Just build everything indoors with air conditioning, Qatar is not skint, they can afford it.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #18: Sep 06, 2013 12:40:32 am
      I don't even see the point of having a World Cup in Qater.

Yeah the stadiums will look impressive but no one will use em afterwards.

Just seems like a fancy event to show off their oil money, and for FIFA to bag some of that money.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #19: Sep 06, 2013 01:25:19 am
      I don't even see the point of having a World Cup in Qater.

Yeah the stadiums will look impressive but no one will use em afterwards.

Just seems like a fancy event to show off their oil money, and for FIFA to bag some of that money.
      I don't disagree,  but the big issue here is the health hazard at these temperatures. Even if stadiums ar air conditioned what about everywhere else?  The fans aren't going to sleep in stadiums.... it has to be in the winter or a lot of teams will drop out, but the PL and other clubs aren't likely to change the season. I think they should look at all options again for 2022.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #20: Sep 06, 2013 11:37:21 am
      Playing football in the summer in sub-tropical temperatures reminds me of that song about mad dogs and Englishmen go out in the mid-day sun.
      Nobody (with any sense) goes out over there in the summer during the daylight hours unless it's absolutely important, if the mad dogs at the FA get their way most of the spectators will have took the knock before a ball is kicked.
      The thought of a football match being played in those conditions is farcical.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #21: Sep 19, 2013 03:04:23 pm
      Well Europe have given their backing for the World Cup to be in the winter. I'm all for the idea too, I think it would be really exciting to have a World Cup in the winter for a change. I just don't get how they'd do it given the busy domestic season.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #22: Sep 19, 2013 03:23:13 pm
      Seriously think somebody is going to collapse during this competition.

Having been to both Abu Dhabi & Qatar in October last year I've never felt heat like it.

Unbareable to walk around in the sun let alone play sport.

But, what's new.... Money rules this sport and the ££££ talks.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #23: Sep 19, 2013 04:49:34 pm
      I was thinking about this the other day and can't see how it'll be possible to fit a winter World Cup into the current league calendar.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #24: Sep 19, 2013 04:51:55 pm
      Think about the effect of the team also.

If you are 1st and the season stops for 2 months, then all of a sudden you're 3 best players all get injured.....  What happens then?

What about the Jan window?

The league has been fine for years and FIFA come and intend to F**k everything up.

I think it's vile.
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #25: Jan 08, 2014 11:22:48 am
      Hope all prem teams boycott IT! Either that or make the reserves available only for selection.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #26: Jan 08, 2014 02:31:45 pm
      Regardless of the extremely hot desert weather having the World Cup in the Persian Gulf isn't the best location for Western supporters with the threat of terrorism. It'd be the perfect target for extremists considering the Middle East especially the Gulf still has a high threat of extremism and there are still wars going on around the areas.

There would be plenty of English supporters locked up in prisons also for drinking in the streets as Qatar, UAE and the rest of the Muslim countries have very strict laws which not all Western supporters would be familiar with.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #27: Jan 08, 2014 06:46:50 pm
      Regardless of the extremely hot desert weather having the World Cup in the Persian Gulf isn't the best location for Western supporters with the threat of terrorism. It'd be the perfect target for extremists considering the Middle East especially the Gulf still has a high threat of extremism and there are still wars going on around the areas.

There would be plenty of English supporters locked up in prisons also for drinking in the streets as Qatar, UAE and the rest of the Muslim countries have very strict laws which not all Western supporters would be familiar with.

That is their own stupid fault then.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #28: Jan 09, 2014 01:21:56 am

Tell me Odd Job, are Western supporters targeted in Bahrain,Dubai,Abu Dhabi,Qatar,Kuwait when they host Formula 1 Grand Prix's, Tennis & Golf Tournaments, cross country rallies?.

Also you don't need to be in a Muslim country to be Westerner locked up for Alcohol related football hooliganism do you? seen plenty of that on our borders and across Europe when England get knocked out after the first 2 qualifying games :D

Have you been to those countries you have pointed out for strict alcohol laws? You will find alcohol consumption is allowed but what you won't find is those states allowing their streets to look like ours on a Friday & Saturday night stretching our emergency services to the limit ;)

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #29: Jan 09, 2014 01:42:24 am

Yup, lovely and corrupt isn't it.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #30: Jan 09, 2014 11:34:29 am
      Tell me Odd Job, are Western supporters targeted in Bahrain,Dubai,Abu Dhabi,Qatar,Kuwait when they host Formula 1 Grand Prix's, Tennis & Golf Tournaments, cross country rallies?.

Also you don't need to be in a Muslim country to be Westerner locked up for Alcohol related football hooliganism do you? seen plenty of that on our borders and across Europe when England get knocked out after the first 2 qualifying games :D

Have you been to those countries you have pointed out for strict alcohol laws? You will find alcohol consumption is allowed but what you won't find is those states allowing their streets to look like ours on a Friday & Saturday night stretching our emergency services to the limit ;)

Those sports aren't as popular as Football, especially the World Cup attracting far more Western supporters than the likes of Formula One and Golf tournaments. Not saying football supporters are at risk but there is a threat just like all in non-Muslim and Muslim countries. I have been to Dubai not far from Qatar, being drunk in the street is a criminal offence, drinking alcohol in the street is a criminal offence and swearing and being loud in the streets is a criminal offence also which at least one English supporter fits in each category. Not to mention carrying drugs or being under the influence can lead to a prison sentence, dealing drugs is a different matter.

I do understand where you are coming from just don't think Qatar would of been the best place for a Winter World Cup tournament. Not to mention also that the Persian Gulf is one of the hottest places in the world.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #31: Jan 09, 2014 01:41:00 pm
      Those sports aren't as popular as Football, especially the World Cup attracting far more Western supporters than the likes of Formula One and Golf tournaments. Not saying football supporters are at risk but there is a threat just like all in non-Muslim and Muslim countries. I have been to Dubai not far from Qatar, being drunk in the street is a criminal offence, drinking alcohol in the street is a criminal offence and swearing and being loud in the streets is a criminal offence also which at least one English supporter fits in each category. Not to mention carrying drugs or being under the influence can lead to a prison sentence, dealing drugs is a different matter.

I do understand where you are coming from just don't think Qatar would of been the best place for a Winter World Cup tournament. Not to mention also that the Persian Gulf is one of the hottest places in the world.

While I agree Qatar may not be the best location for a World Cup if the English fans are too stupid to follow the laws of the country and get arrested then they only have themselves to blame.

Might teach some of the morons a lesson.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #32: Jan 09, 2014 01:53:30 pm
      While I agree Qatar may not be the best location for a World Cup if the English fans are too stupid to follow the laws of the country and get arrested then they only have themselves to blame.

Might teach some of the morons a lesson.

Do only the intelligent among us believe this, or is there room for idiots to believe in this too?  :f_tongueincheek:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #33: Jan 09, 2014 04:52:33 pm
      Do only the intelligent among us believe this, or is there room for idiots to believe in this too?  :f_tongueincheek:

I seem to have irked you a little with that comment Beer.

Surely you don't think I had you down as anything other than one of the intelligent? ;)
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014 08:44:14 am by srslfc »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #34: Jan 10, 2014 05:06:11 am
      I seem to have irked you a little with that comment Beer.

Suerly you don't think I had you down as anything other than one of the intelligent? ;)

No mate, I was just mucking around.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #35: Jan 10, 2014 08:44:24 am
      No mate, I was just mucking around.

Good job.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #36: Jan 10, 2014 11:40:27 am
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #37: Jan 13, 2014 05:22:10 pm
      Qatar getting the World Cup is a travesty
      Ron88
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #38: Jan 13, 2014 07:05:51 pm
      For the FIFA business is business in fact Qatar maneged to add to its records "Schedule World Cup Final in a city that doesn't exist yet" xD
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #39: Jan 13, 2014 08:10:29 pm

Taking away the weather factor do you have any other particular reason why?.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,250 posts | 2854 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #40: Jan 13, 2014 08:51:14 pm

To be fair, I do not think it is a travesty, but economics.

India sending a rocket to the planet Mars as well as building an aircraft carrier whilst obtaining economic aid, or the USA developing a Hypersonic drone airplane to bomb people on the other side of the world whilst people starve, and cannot get health care is a travesty.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #41: Jan 16, 2014 12:10:53 pm
      Taking away the weather factor do you have any other particular reason why?.

A few yeah: it's a tiny, sand-blasted shithole with no football stadia, no football culture, and no football teams, but very big issues with human rights.

Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #42: Jan 16, 2014 12:38:44 pm
      A few yeah: it's a tiny, sand-blasted shithole with no football stadia, no football culture, and no football teams, but very big issues with human rights.

Qatar has a football league.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #43: Jan 16, 2014 12:39:58 pm

So does Wales.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #44: Jan 16, 2014 12:43:33 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #45: Jan 16, 2014 03:06:33 pm

That tiny sand blasted sh*t hole which punches above its weight by bailing out countries and snapping up industries keeping the likes of you in work, investing in the game whilst others take out will build some of the best Stadia leaving the likes of you in awe, having a football culture does not mean Qatar cannot host such events, did the USA have a football culture when it hosted the World Cup?.

Human rights abuses take place in majority of the countries in the world but we still go to sporting events if they host them ie: Russia (Sochi).

Brazil has human rights issues too, should we take away the WC from them & have England host them so its affordable to you?.

manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #46: Jan 16, 2014 04:53:05 pm
      That tiny sand blasted sh*t hole which punches above its weight by bailing out countries and snapping up industries keeping the likes of you in work, investing in the game whilst others take out will build some of the best Stadia leaving the likes of you in awe, having a football culture does not mean Qatar cannot host such events, did the USA have a football culture when it hosted the World Cup?.

Human rights abuses take place in majority of the countries in the world but we still go to sporting events if they host them ie: Russia (Sochi).

Brazil has human rights issues too, should we take away the WC from them & have England host them so its affordable to you?.

I don't think you can really compare Brazil or the US getting the World Cup with Qatar. Not with a straight face anyway.

And the only reason Qatar have any profile in business, football or indeed anything else at all, is because it's sitting on oil an d gas supplies which has catapulted its quarter of a million citizens - or rather, the ones related to the ruling family - to untold wealth.

Before that they caught fish.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #47: Jan 16, 2014 05:52:47 pm
      I don't think you can really compare Brazil or the US getting the World Cup with Qatar. Not with a straight face anyway.

And the only reason Qatar have any profile in business, football or indeed anything else at all, is because it's sitting on oil an d gas supplies which has catapulted its quarter of a million citizens - or rather, the ones related to the ruling family - to untold wealth.

Before that they caught fish.

Well since they last caught fish they have gone out & spent their wealth on bigger fish.

Don't be so bitter.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #48: Mar 31, 2014 06:51:56 am
      http://www.mirror.co.uk/news/world-news/2022-world-cup-qatar-accused-3303458

57p an hour, drinking salt water and living in squalor, if true it's fvckning disgusting!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #49: Jun 01, 2014 05:47:19 pm

Fifa faces call to vote again over 2022 World Cup after leaked Qatari emails

Communications purport to show series of payments to officials by Mohamed bin Hammam, who was Fifa's member for Qatar

Fifa is facing calls to rerun the bidding competition for the 2022 World Cup after allegations that a former top Qatari football official paid $5m (£2.98m) to win support for the nation's campaign to host the event.

Labour said Qatar should lose the 2022 World Cup and urged those involved to resign if the Fifa corruption allegations detailed in the Sunday Times were true. Clive Efford, the shadow sport minister, said the new revelations "called the governance of football into question".

"No one will have any confidence in a Fifa investigation run by Sepp Blatter," he said. "If these allegations are true then those involved should resign."

Lord Macdonald, the former director of public prosecutions, described Fifa as a "bit of a cesspit" and suggested there was evidence of a "very serious crime" following the reports.

He told Sky News's Murnaghan programme: "The idea of another voting session with all this money sloshing around is almost too much to bear. But on the other hand, if I can pretend to be a prosecutor again for a minute, this is evidence of a very serious crime. And the fact that the allegation is that they used dollars, US dollars, means that the justice department in Washington has jurisdiction over this … the United States of course are in the World Cup finals. If the justice department started to take an interest in this, I think Fifa would feel the heat very, very quickly."

The Sunday Times said it had obtained millions of emails and other documents relating to alleged payments made by Mohamed bin Hammam, the then Fifa executive member for Qatar. The paper said Bin Hammam, also the former Asian Football Confederation (AFC) president, used slush funds to pay out the cash to top football officials to win a "groundswell" of support for Qatar's World Cup bid.

John Whittingdale, chairman of the House of Commons culture, media and sport select committee, called for the bidding competition to be held again and said it would be impossible for Fifa to brush aside the revelations.

"It is a further demonstration of the need for a complete change in the way that Fifa operates but also that there is now an overwhelming case that the decision as to where the World Cup should be held in 2022 should be run again," Whittingdale told the paper.

The sports minister, Helen Grant, said: "These appear to be very serious allegations. It is essential that major sporting events are awarded in an open, fair and transparent manner."

The allegations come less than two weeks before the start of the World Cup in Brazil and bring fresh scrutiny on the 2010 vote, which gave football's biggest tournament to the tiny desert state. The process is under investigation by Fifa's independent ethics prosecutor, Michael Garcia.

Qatar has also come under fire for its labour laws, in the wake of an international outcry over conditions for migrant workers before the 2022 World Cup, which followed a Guardian investigation into workplace abuse in the Gulf state.

Bin Hammam is no longer a committee member of world football's governing body after being caught up in a corruption scandal surrounding his failed campaign for its presidency in 2011. The Sunday Times alleged that he exploited his position as an executive committee member to help to secure votes from key members of its 24-man ruling committee that helped Qatar win the right to host the World Cup. Qatar defeated bids from the US, Japan, South Korea and Australia.

According to the newspaper, Bin Hammam used 10 slush funds controlled by his private company and cash handouts to make dozens of payments of up to $200,000 into accounts controlled by the presidents of 30 African football associations who influenced how Africa's four executive members would vote. He also allegedly hosted lavish junkets for these African officials at which he handed out almost $400,000 in cash.

Last month, Blatter said it had been a mistake to choose Qatar for the World Cup, forcing Fifa to try to limit the damage. "Yes, it was a mistake of course, but one makes lots of mistakes in life," said Blatter, Fifa's president, in an interview with the Swiss broadcaster RTS. "The technical report into Qatar said clearly it was too hot but the executive committee – with a large majority – decided all the same to play it in Qatar."

Blatter, who is standing for another term as president in 2015, is believed to have voted for the USA to host the 2022 World Cup, while his prospective rival for the presidency, Uefa's Michel Platini, voted for Qatar and has been closely linked with the plans for the 2022 tournament.

The Fifa inspection team ranked Qatar as the only "high-risk" option overall, yet it was still chosen by 14 of the 22 voting members of the executive committee in December 2010. The Fifa president said it was now "probable" that it would be played in the winter rather than the summer due to the heat. Blatter insisted, however, that Qatar, which spent huge sums on ambassadors and development programmes, had not "bought" the World Cup.

Jim Boyce, Fifa vice-president, said he would be in favour of rerunning the vote if allegations that widespread corruption was involved in the bid were proved. Boyce, who was not on the executive committee of the world governing body at the time of the vote, said Garcia, would have to widen his investigation.

Boyce told Radio 5 Live's Sportsweek programme: "As a member currently of the Fifa executive committee, we feel that any evidence whatsoever that people involved were bribed to do a certain vote, all that evidence should go to Michael Garcia, whom Fifa have given full authority to.

"If Garcia's report comes up and his recommendations are that wrongdoing happened for that vote for the 2022 World Cup, I certainly as a member of the executive committee would have absolutely no problem whatsoever if the recommendation was for a revote."

Anna Soubry, minister for defence personnel, welfare and veterans, said: "Somebody somewhere has got to get a serious grip on Fifa about the way that they run these competitions."

Jim Murphy, the shadow international development secretary, also called for a rethink if the allegations were found to be true.

He told BBC Radio 5 Live's Pienaar's Politics: "If these allegations and the contents of the emails that the Sunday Times now has turn out to be true there can be no question about this. The thing wasn't done fairly, it wasn't done openly and it would have to be cancelled and rerun entirely. The building that is happening in Qatar should be paused and they should have a fair and open competition."

Qatar's World Cup officials said the bid committee had "always upheld the highest standard of ethics and integrity".

The country's Supreme Committee for Delivery and Legacy said: "Mohamed bin Hammam played no official or unofficial role in Qatar's 2022 bid committee. As was the case with every other member of Fifa's executive committee, our bid team had to convince Mr Bin Hammam of the merits of our bid.

"We are cooperating fully with Mr Garcia's ongoing investigation and remain totally confident that any objective inquiry will conclude we won the bid to host the 2022 Fifa World Cup fairly.

"Following today's newspaper articles, we vehemently deny all allegations of wrongdoing. We will take whatever steps are necessary to defend the integrity of Qatar's bid and our lawyers are looking into this matter. The right to host the tournament was won because it was the best bid and because it is time for the Middle East to host its first Fifa World Cup."

http://www.theguardian.com/football/2014/jun/01/fifa-call-vote-qatar-world-cup-emails-mohamed-bin-hammam

Damaging to say the least.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,048 posts | 6294 
      Reply #50: Jun 01, 2014 06:35:26 pm
      Hope it gets stripped from Qatar and the US could somehow host it, I would love to be able to have the chance to actually see World Cup games.

Truth be told we already have the infrastructure and the stadiums in place.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #51: Jun 01, 2014 06:40:13 pm
      Hope it gets stripped from Qatar and the US could somehow host it, I would love to be able to have the chance to actually see World Cup games.

Truth be told we already have the infrastructure and the stadiums in place.

Rather the England or Aussies have it than the USA.

Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #52: Jun 01, 2014 09:07:02 pm
      Let's face it everyone already knew not everything was above board.

I second that. Totally unbiased of course. :f_whistle:
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #53: Jun 01, 2014 10:21:59 pm

I would love to see it in England but they were bidding for the other world cup. I don't know what rules would apply if a re vote was held. That said England could host the World Cup tomorrow such is the brilliant infrastructure in the country. Travesty that they've only hosted it once.

But I'd agree with you on Australia. Never been to the country at all and have no connection to it but I'd love to see the World Cup there considering the great job they did at the Sydney Olympics and the 2003 Rugby World Cup.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #54: Jun 01, 2014 11:05:04 pm
      Considering I think it was the Aussies who missed out in the bidding to Qatar, should only be fair they get first crack at it, before anyone else, should Fifa decide to sanction Qatar, can't see it happening though.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #55: Jun 02, 2014 02:44:42 am
      Considering I think it was the Aussies who missed out in the bidding to Qatar, should only be fair they get first crack at it, before anyone else, should Fifa decide to sanction Qatar, can't see it happening though.

Nah, Australia was the first bid voted out. Per Wikipedia they were, in order: Qatar, USA, South Korea, Japan, Australia.

This made me chuckle. Saw it on Twitter:

HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #56: Jun 02, 2014 04:00:04 am
      Nah, Australia was the first bid voted out. Per Wikipedia they were, in order: Qatar, USA, South Korea, Japan, Australia.

This made me chuckle. Saw it on Twitter:

Fair enough! But seeing as every other country bar Qatar have already hosted it, don't see why they shouldn't be able to hold it.

But from a personal point of view, agree with everything Frankly, Mister Shankly says, it is a travesty England have only held it once, especially with the state of the art Football Stadiums we now have.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #57: Jun 02, 2014 06:27:03 pm
      Fair enough! But seeing as every other country bar Qatar have already hosted it, don't see why they shouldn't be able to hold it.

But from a personal point of view, agree with everything Frankly, Mister Shankly says, it is a travesty England have only held it once, especially with the state of the art Football Stadiums we now have.

I agree with you on Australia. Being American, I obviously wanted it here, but if we lost the bid, I wanted Australia. South Korea and Japan co-hosted the 2002 tournament, so either would have been my third pick. Nothing much against Qatar, but a summer tournament in the desert is very risky to the health of both players and spectators. I'm all for expanding the game in other areas, but they simply didn't think that one through.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #58: Jun 02, 2014 06:57:35 pm
      I agree with you on Australia. Being American, I obviously wanted it here, but if we lost the bid, I wanted Australia. South Korea and Japan co-hosted the 2002 tournament, so either would have been my third pick. Nothing much against Qatar, but a summer tournament in the desert is very risky to the health of both players and spectators. I'm all for expanding the game in other areas, but they simply didn't think that one through.

Money talked!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #59: Jun 02, 2014 07:15:02 pm
      They've paid for it, they should get it.  Certainly not the first time it's happened in FIFA's history, won't be the last.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #60: Jun 02, 2014 09:02:45 pm
      Since Qatar received the nomination to host the WC there has been an effort to reverse that decision but climate has been used as a tool to undermine the bid & of course allegations of brown envelopes.
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 39,947 posts | 8458 
      Reply #61: Jun 06, 2014 09:06:15 pm
      Since Qatar received the nomination to host the WC there has been an effort to reverse that decision but climate has been used as a tool to undermine the bid & of course allegations of brown envelopes.

To be fair I think if social media would of been around in the past, allegations of brown envelopes to those voting for World Cup hosts would of been exposed before. Everyone knows how dirty Fifa are, I don't think this is a deliberate dig at Qatar, just fifa's processes and the way they go about things.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #62: Aug 04, 2014 08:14:33 am
      Lineker sickened by corruption claims
      Gary Lineker says corruption allegations around FIFA are ''nauseating'' and has criticised the role of it's president Sepp Blatter.
      FIFA are investigating claims of wrongdoing relating to the decision to award Qatar the 2022 World Cup.
      ''It makes you sick, the whole FIFA thing, the corruption at the top level is nauseating, Sepp Blatter has run it like a dictatorship for so long and he comes out with so much nonsense'', stated the BBC presenter

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/football/28632355

That's a price on Lineker's head, his days are numbered.

Quick Reply