Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Qatar World Cup

Read 12961 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Re: Qatar World Cup
      Reply #23: Sep 19, 2013 04:49:34 pm
      I was thinking about this the other day and can't see how it'll be possible to fit a winter World Cup into the current league calendar.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #24: Sep 19, 2013 04:51:55 pm
      Think about the effect of the team also.

If you are 1st and the season stops for 2 months, then all of a sudden you're 3 best players all get injured.....  What happens then?

What about the Jan window?

The league has been fine for years and FIFA come and intend to F**k everything up.

I think it's vile.
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #25: Jan 08, 2014 11:22:48 am
      Hope all prem teams boycott IT! Either that or make the reserves available only for selection.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #26: Jan 08, 2014 02:31:45 pm
      Regardless of the extremely hot desert weather having the World Cup in the Persian Gulf isn't the best location for Western supporters with the threat of terrorism. It'd be the perfect target for extremists considering the Middle East especially the Gulf still has a high threat of extremism and there are still wars going on around the areas.

There would be plenty of English supporters locked up in prisons also for drinking in the streets as Qatar, UAE and the rest of the Muslim countries have very strict laws which not all Western supporters would be familiar with.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #27: Jan 08, 2014 06:46:50 pm
      Regardless of the extremely hot desert weather having the World Cup in the Persian Gulf isn't the best location for Western supporters with the threat of terrorism. It'd be the perfect target for extremists considering the Middle East especially the Gulf still has a high threat of extremism and there are still wars going on around the areas.

There would be plenty of English supporters locked up in prisons also for drinking in the streets as Qatar, UAE and the rest of the Muslim countries have very strict laws which not all Western supporters would be familiar with.

That is their own stupid fault then.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,448 posts | 4584 
      Reply #28: Jan 09, 2014 01:21:56 am

Tell me Odd Job, are Western supporters targeted in Bahrain,Dubai,Abu Dhabi,Qatar,Kuwait when they host Formula 1 Grand Prix's, Tennis & Golf Tournaments, cross country rallies?.

Also you don't need to be in a Muslim country to be Westerner locked up for Alcohol related football hooliganism do you? seen plenty of that on our borders and across Europe when England get knocked out after the first 2 qualifying games :D

Have you been to those countries you have pointed out for strict alcohol laws? You will find alcohol consumption is allowed but what you won't find is those states allowing their streets to look like ours on a Friday & Saturday night stretching our emergency services to the limit ;)

Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #29: Jan 09, 2014 01:42:24 am

Yup, lovely and corrupt isn't it.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #30: Jan 09, 2014 11:34:29 am
      Tell me Odd Job, are Western supporters targeted in Bahrain,Dubai,Abu Dhabi,Qatar,Kuwait when they host Formula 1 Grand Prix's, Tennis & Golf Tournaments, cross country rallies?.

Also you don't need to be in a Muslim country to be Westerner locked up for Alcohol related football hooliganism do you? seen plenty of that on our borders and across Europe when England get knocked out after the first 2 qualifying games :D

Have you been to those countries you have pointed out for strict alcohol laws? You will find alcohol consumption is allowed but what you won't find is those states allowing their streets to look like ours on a Friday & Saturday night stretching our emergency services to the limit ;)

Those sports aren't as popular as Football, especially the World Cup attracting far more Western supporters than the likes of Formula One and Golf tournaments. Not saying football supporters are at risk but there is a threat just like all in non-Muslim and Muslim countries. I have been to Dubai not far from Qatar, being drunk in the street is a criminal offence, drinking alcohol in the street is a criminal offence and swearing and being loud in the streets is a criminal offence also which at least one English supporter fits in each category. Not to mention carrying drugs or being under the influence can lead to a prison sentence, dealing drugs is a different matter.

I do understand where you are coming from just don't think Qatar would of been the best place for a Winter World Cup tournament. Not to mention also that the Persian Gulf is one of the hottest places in the world.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #31: Jan 09, 2014 01:41:00 pm
      Those sports aren't as popular as Football, especially the World Cup attracting far more Western supporters than the likes of Formula One and Golf tournaments. Not saying football supporters are at risk but there is a threat just like all in non-Muslim and Muslim countries. I have been to Dubai not far from Qatar, being drunk in the street is a criminal offence, drinking alcohol in the street is a criminal offence and swearing and being loud in the streets is a criminal offence also which at least one English supporter fits in each category. Not to mention carrying drugs or being under the influence can lead to a prison sentence, dealing drugs is a different matter.

I do understand where you are coming from just don't think Qatar would of been the best place for a Winter World Cup tournament. Not to mention also that the Persian Gulf is one of the hottest places in the world.

While I agree Qatar may not be the best location for a World Cup if the English fans are too stupid to follow the laws of the country and get arrested then they only have themselves to blame.

Might teach some of the morons a lesson.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #32: Jan 09, 2014 01:53:30 pm
      While I agree Qatar may not be the best location for a World Cup if the English fans are too stupid to follow the laws of the country and get arrested then they only have themselves to blame.

Might teach some of the morons a lesson.

Do only the intelligent among us believe this, or is there room for idiots to believe in this too?  :f_tongueincheek:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #33: Jan 09, 2014 04:52:33 pm
      Do only the intelligent among us believe this, or is there room for idiots to believe in this too?  :f_tongueincheek:

I seem to have irked you a little with that comment Beer.

Surely you don't think I had you down as anything other than one of the intelligent? ;)
      « Last Edit: Jan 10, 2014 08:44:14 am by srslfc »
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #34: Jan 10, 2014 05:06:11 am
      I seem to have irked you a little with that comment Beer.

Suerly you don't think I had you down as anything other than one of the intelligent? ;)

No mate, I was just mucking around.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #35: Jan 10, 2014 08:44:24 am
      No mate, I was just mucking around.

Good job.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #36: Jan 10, 2014 11:40:27 am
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #37: Jan 13, 2014 05:22:10 pm
      Qatar getting the World Cup is a travesty
      Ron88
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #38: Jan 13, 2014 07:05:51 pm
      For the FIFA business is business in fact Qatar maneged to add to its records "Schedule World Cup Final in a city that doesn't exist yet" xD
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,448 posts | 4584 
      Reply #39: Jan 13, 2014 08:10:29 pm

Taking away the weather factor do you have any other particular reason why?.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #40: Jan 13, 2014 08:51:14 pm

To be fair, I do not think it is a travesty, but economics.

India sending a rocket to the planet Mars as well as building an aircraft carrier whilst obtaining economic aid, or the USA developing a Hypersonic drone airplane to bomb people on the other side of the world whilst people starve, and cannot get health care is a travesty.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #41: Jan 16, 2014 12:10:53 pm
      Taking away the weather factor do you have any other particular reason why?.

A few yeah: it's a tiny, sand-blasted shithole with no football stadia, no football culture, and no football teams, but very big issues with human rights.

Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #42: Jan 16, 2014 12:38:44 pm
      A few yeah: it's a tiny, sand-blasted shithole with no football stadia, no football culture, and no football teams, but very big issues with human rights.

Qatar has a football league.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #43: Jan 16, 2014 12:39:58 pm

So does Wales.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #44: Jan 16, 2014 12:43:33 pm
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,448 posts | 4584 
      Reply #45: Jan 16, 2014 03:06:33 pm

That tiny sand blasted sh*t hole which punches above its weight by bailing out countries and snapping up industries keeping the likes of you in work, investing in the game whilst others take out will build some of the best Stadia leaving the likes of you in awe, having a football culture does not mean Qatar cannot host such events, did the USA have a football culture when it hosted the World Cup?.

Human rights abuses take place in majority of the countries in the world but we still go to sporting events if they host them ie: Russia (Sochi).

Brazil has human rights issues too, should we take away the WC from them & have England host them so its affordable to you?.

Quick Reply