Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Tiago Ilori (Liverpool -> Reading)

Read 100812 times
      xSkyline
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,829 posts | 101 
      Re: Tiago Ilori Player Thread
      Reply #161: Apr 13, 2014 07:53:11 am
      From a Barca fan:

The main thing about Ilori that surprised me today was his positioning. Everyone talks about his pace but man did he have Messi and Neymar in his pocket today. Never even had to sprint. Neymar was playing on the left side and Messi was floating around Ilori who was the RCB and although it was Nyom that contained Neymar most of the game when challenged Ilori was brilliant. He was also very decisive in corners and took a role as a vocal leader in the absence of Mainz, the captain. Bright future for the kid if he can stay healthy!

Obligatory YouTube highlights:

TI6

Will be great to finally get to see him play in LFC shirt next season. With him, Suso and Borini doing so well out on loan it will be great to see how well these lads fare when they return to the squad.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #162: Apr 13, 2014 10:13:23 am
      Very pleased to hear his progress, looks like if he can keep up this level of play his transfer fee will be more than justified, as will the loan spell.

From a fan's point of view, really chuffed we have another young talent who will be pushing for minutes next season.

From the club's perspective, starting to look like a canny investment, and good judgement from the manager to put him at a club where he can gain experience in one of Europe's top leagues.

Ship out Touré in the summer, and a cb mix of Agger - Skrtel - Sakho - Ilori is already very solid IMO.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #163: Apr 13, 2014 11:45:58 am
      His highlights from yesterdays game, pinched from RAWK.  You'll need to scroll down the page.

http://www.redandwhitekop.com/forum/index.php?topic=308372.1240
      yacster
      • Forum Kenny Dalglish

• 524 posts |
      Reply #164: Apr 13, 2014 11:46:02 am
      Very good yesterday and very cool head
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #165: Apr 14, 2014 04:01:07 am
      I didn't see the game, but he looks good in the highlights.  Obviously, it says a lot for a 21 year old CB to pick up the MOTM award while playing against Barca!!  I hold the same opinion as Skyline -- I'm excited to have Ilori, Suso, and Borini back in the side next term.  All 3 have quality and I think BR will be able to get at least 1 of them to progress in a similar manner as he has achieved with the likes of Sterling/Hendo/Flano/Coutinho/Studge. 
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #166: Apr 14, 2014 04:25:17 am
      Impressive highlights.

Never seen him play but by that he looks darn good!
      jindaldhruv
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,805 posts | 24 
      • Football is my religion. Steven Gerrard is my God.
      Reply #167: Apr 14, 2014 05:39:54 am
      Didn't know he started for Grenada against Barca.

That was good defending there. A possible backup for next season?
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #168: Apr 19, 2014 03:57:37 pm
      hope to see him next season a lot more think Derby might make the Wisdom loan there 1st summer deal as we are over loaded in that area and you don't pay 7mil to keep loaning out a player of his age, he needs Prem experience
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #169: May 11, 2014 06:19:19 pm
      Just given away a penalty for a high boot. 1-0 to Almeria.
      NelisLFC
      • Forum Youth Player

• 19 posts |
      Reply #170: May 14, 2014 06:01:03 pm
      Rumours that my local club PSV wants to bring him in, probably on a loan but that is still unclear.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #171: May 18, 2014 05:28:15 pm
      Just made a great interception to stop Valladolid having a clear shot on goal from close range.
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,002 posts | 223 
      Reply #172: May 23, 2014 09:24:26 pm
      Ilori with a winning goal for Portugal away in Macedonia today in the u21 qualifiers
      FT   Macedonia U21 0 - 1 Portugal U21
      64' 0 - 1 Ilori
      verde-rubro
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 2,002 posts | 223 
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #174: May 23, 2014 10:45:02 pm
      I'd like him at the club next season, could learn a lot more at Melwood than anywhere else I think
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #175: May 24, 2014 06:15:25 am
      I'd like him at the club next season, could learn a lot more at Melwood than anywhere else I think

How do you reckon that then? The lad is getting proper regular game time experiences at the moment. He's actually learning his craft and by all accounts plying it quite nicely in a top league. Why would BR curtail that knowing if he brought him back he'd be behind Sakho and Agger in the pecking order?

Being stuck at Melwood hasn't exactly boded well for Coates has it?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #176: May 24, 2014 09:28:45 am
      How do you reckon that then? The lad is getting proper regular game time experiences at the moment. He's actually learning his craft and by all accounts plying it quite nicely in a top league. Why would BR curtail that knowing if he brought him back he'd be behind Sakho and Agger in the pecking order?

Being stuck at Melwood hasn't exactly boded well for Coates has it?

Thought he was right footed so would be behind skrtel
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #177: May 24, 2014 12:21:12 pm
      I've seen 2 threads now where this player has been mentioned.
      1 in the "waste of money" kind of category, the other questioning why we bought him if not to play him (which I thought was a fair question) and then numerous posts saying we should get rid of him (summer clear out type of thing) because he can't get in the team.

:mad:

Here's a few things people should know about the lad before posting nonsense like "get rid of him".
      He's 21 and one of the best defensive prospects around. We did well to sign him.
      He cost F**k all relative to his talent, and is part of the process of buying excellent young players and improving them.
      He was bought and went out on loan a few months later to help his development.
      He has played U18, U19, U20 and U21 for Portugal.
      He's lightning quick, a good tackler, a good passer and reads the game very well for his age.
      He's 6'3" and is strong, and decent in the air.

In other words, he's going nowhere, and for some very good reasons, like being an excellent young player.
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #178: May 24, 2014 12:30:45 pm
      I agree Swab, though I'm torn between sending him out on loan for one more season or bringing him back to Liverpool and giving him some game time in a red shirt. He'd obviously play more out on loan so perhaps one more season away would be best for him.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #179: May 24, 2014 12:33:03 pm
      I agree Swab, though I'm torn between sending him out on loan for one more season or bringing him back to Liverpool and giving him some game time in a red shirt. He'd obviously play more out on loan so perhaps one more season away would be best for him.

I expect the manager and coaching team will evaluate his progress in pre-season then make a decision mate, although I expect him to go out on loan for another season, because bench time and ressie matches aren't enough at this stage of his development.
      I would hope he can push for a 1st team place the season after next, assuming he carries on improving.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #180: May 24, 2014 12:37:32 pm
      Loan him out again and it heightens the chances of us never seeing him in the first team here, simple as that. Name any player who went out on loan for 2 seasons or more and came back to be a regular 1st teamer. Its not easy.

Hes lightning quick hes tall and hes avery good with the ball. Let him mix it with his team mates in training and pre season games. If hes showing better then the others play him. Jesus its a postion we need to strengthen he just might be able to do that. If hes good enough hes old enough simple as that. Loan me arse
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #181: May 24, 2014 12:41:28 pm
      Loan him out again and it heightens the chances of us never seeing him in the first team here, simple as that. Name any player who went out on loan for 2 seasons or more and came back to be a regular 1st teamer. Its not easy.

Hes lightning quick hes tall and hes avery good with the ball. Let him mix it with his team mates in training and pre season games. If hes showing better then the others play him. Jesus its a postion we need to strengthen he just might be able to do that. If hes good enough hes old enough simple as that. Loan me arse

Who to mate?
      And will they pay your arses wages for the year?
       :f_tongueincheek:

Seriously though, I can see where you're coming from and I agree in a way.
      There's 2 reasons why I think a loan option is OK, and they are, he's 21 and he's a central defender. My reasoning is simply that defenders peak later than other positions.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #182: May 24, 2014 12:42:37 pm
      I don't think it would be a good idea to send him out on loan for another season, much better imo to "blood him" in the prem even if he only gets the odd League game and the cups.

Not sure if he can play full back? but that is usually a good way to introduce young players who may not have fully developed physically yet.

The thing that excites me most about Ilori is his pace. I would love to see us with fast CB's playing a high line ala Lawrenson and Hansen. 

I haven't seen much of him yet (just clips) but hoping to see him in preseason and hopefully much more of him next season.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #183: May 24, 2014 12:47:21 pm
      Who to mate?
      And will they pay your arses wages for the year?
       :f_tongueincheek:

Seriously though, I can see where you're coming from and I agree in a way.
      There's 2 reasons why I think a loan option is OK, and they are, he's 21 and he's a central defender. My reasoning is simply that defenders peak later than other positions.

No we don't give enough chances to young defenders. Coates and Paletta spring to mind straight away. Binned early doors and both going to the world cup in a few weeks. Whats the chances of Coates coming back here from loan? Slim enough Id say. Chances are in a year or 2 from now these 2 will be earning rave reviews and well be wondering why they didn't make it here

Quick Reply