Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Tiago Ilori (Liverpool -> Reading)

Read 100881 times
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Re: Tiago Ilori Player Thread
      Reply #391: Aug 11, 2015 05:49:03 pm
      Stephen Kinsella: Whats the story with Ilori?

James Pearce: Ilori suffered a thigh injury at the European Under-21 Championships so that was why he didn't play any part in the friendlies. He has only recently returned to full training.

It will be interesting to see whether he's sent out on loan again or kept for Europa League/League Cup duty. He faces a battle for game time with Lovren/Skrtel clearly Rodgers' first choice partnership as it stands and Sakho/Toure as back up.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-qa-james-pearce-9836521
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #392: Aug 11, 2015 06:23:22 pm
      Stephen Kinsella: Whats the story with Ilori?

James Pearce: Ilori suffered a thigh injury at the European Under-21 Championships so that was why he didn't play any part in the friendlies. He has only recently returned to full training.

It will be interesting to see whether he's sent out on loan again or kept for Europa League/League Cup duty. He faces a battle for game time with Lovren/Skrtel clearly Rodgers' first choice partnership as it stands and Sakho/Toure as back up.

http://www.liverpoolecho.co.uk/sport/football/football-news/liverpool-fc-qa-james-pearce-9836521

If I was Brendan I'd advise Ilori to feature in a couple of under-21 matches to get his fitness back and then put him in at right back in a behind closed doors friendly of some kind. It's worth trying just in case he does show that he's pretty decent there. It'd mean that we then have 4 full backs (albeit 2 are natural centre backs) available each game week whilst we wait for Flanagan to get back to full fitness. The only bad thing that can come of it is that Brendan then knows the limits of Ilorin proper game situations rather than just in training.

It'd be a great thing for Ilori if he can show the manager that he is versatile because Brendan loves having players who can play in multiple positions. CB, RB, DM? I have no idea about his ball playing skills, his crossing or dribbling so I'm just brainstorming out load but I'd love to see what he can do in any of those positions.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,262 posts | 4934 
      Reply #393: Aug 11, 2015 06:36:51 pm
      Cover at DM if Lucas leaves maybe?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #394: Aug 11, 2015 07:18:13 pm
      If I was Brendan I'd advise Ilori to feature in a couple of under-21 matches to get his fitness back and then put him in at right back in a behind closed doors friendly of some kind. It's worth trying just in case he does show that he's pretty decent there. It'd mean that we then have 4 full backs (albeit 2 are natural centre backs) available each game week whilst we wait for Flanagan to get back to full fitness. The only bad thing that can come of it is that Brendan then knows the limits of Ilorin proper game situations rather than just in training.

It'd be a great thing for Ilori if he can show the manager that he is versatile because Brendan loves having players who can play in multiple positions. CB, RB, DM? I have no idea about his ball playing skills, his crossing or dribbling so I'm just brainstorming out load but I'd love to see what he can do in any of those positions.

I'm sure whenever I've seen him play he plays LCB mate, he also played LB at Sporting when he played in the 1st team.  I'm guessing he's left footed but at least he'd be cover on the left so Joe can cover the right if he can dislodge him that is  ;D

I've no idea whether he could cover the DM position though.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #395: Aug 11, 2015 07:23:54 pm
      I'm sure whenever I've seen him play he plays LCB mate, he also played LB at Sporting when he played in the 1st team.  I'm guessing he's left footed but at least he'd be cover on the left so Joe can cover the right if he can dislodge him that is  ;D

I've no idea whether he could cover the DM position though.

I was actually wondering after I posted about what his predominant foot is. If Joe covers on the right then surely Ilori will fight for a first team spot should he be comfortable at full back rather than act as back up? I'm basing that purely on the fact that Brendan seems to currently favour Joe over Moreno.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,440 posts | 3422 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #396: Aug 11, 2015 07:27:11 pm

poor lad is being touted for just about every position, what's he like in goal ?
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #397: Aug 11, 2015 07:27:36 pm

I believe he's a right footer?

This is what I don't like. We overload in a position and then to accommodate them, we play them out of position. It's ok if it's a kid breaking through, but at Ilori's age and the talent he has as a CB, he should be nurtured as a CB in my opinion.

Personally, I haven't seen anything that suggests he's capable of playing full back or DM.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #398: Aug 11, 2015 07:34:28 pm
      I was actually wondering after I posted about what his predominant foot is. If Joe covers on the right then surely Ilori will fight for a first team spot should he be comfortable at full back rather than act as back up? I'm basing that purely on the fact that Brendan seems to currently favour Joe over Moreno.

It's a weird one mate but thinking about it I don't think he has a preference.  He always plays LCB for Portugal, played LB for Sporting when he came into the first team but I think when he played for Malaga in that game against Barca he was playing RCB.  I could be wrong on that as I only watched that one game but I do know that when he arrived it was definitely as a LCB.

He's going to have to work incredibly hard to prove himself as although Brendan does like versatilty he doesn't like constant injuries.  The kid has got the talent and he's bloody quick too so hopefully he'll be given time now he's finally back.  Need to get his contract sorted out though as he's in his final year now.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #399: Aug 11, 2015 07:53:56 pm
      I believe he's a right footer?

This is what I don't like. We overload in a position and then to accommodate them, we play them out of position. It's ok if it's a kid breaking through, but at Ilori's age and the talent he has as a CB, he should be nurtured as a CB in my opinion.

Personally, I haven't seen anything that suggests he's capable of playing full back or DM.

I wasn't suggesting he is already good in those positions or should be played there immediately. I'm just saying, if Brendan is set at centre back for this season and he wants game time at the club then showing versatility in an under-21 game isn't a negative thing. When Toure's contract expires at the end of this season he'll no doubt become part of the main 4 central defenders. For one season though it won't hurt him to be flexible. I'm somebody who doesn't like a player being played completely out of position and it's something I've gone on about for a while BUT it's not like moving Markovic from RW to RB or Sterling from LW/RW to ST, he'd still be part of the back line unit.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #400: Aug 11, 2015 08:43:33 pm
      I wasn't suggesting he is already good in those positions or should be played there immediately. I'm just saying, if Brendan is set at centre back for this season and he wants game time at the club then showing versatility in an under-21 game isn't a negative thing. When Toure's contract expires at the end of this season he'll no doubt become part of the main 4 central defenders. For one season though it won't hurt him to be flexible.

I know you you wasn't suggesting that :) And what you said I do understand and agree that perhaps the only way for him to get a look in is probably to show his versatility. I just find it a shame when he could potentially be just as good as Sakho, Lovren, Skrtel or Toure. Too many times have we overloaded in certain positions, then having to play them out of position, it's something I'm not a fan of personally.
      PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #401: Aug 20, 2015 12:45:31 am
      Tiago Ilori expressed delight over pulling on a Liverpool shirt again after a 45-minute run-out for the U21s against Everton on Wednesday. The 22-year-old, who spent the summer helping Portugal reach the final of the European U21 Championships, saw his preparations for the new domestic season disrupted by injury.But having recently returned to training, he featured in the first half of an incredible 3-3 draw with the Toffees at the Merseyrail Community Stadium before being replaced by Tom Brewitt. And, after enjoying loan spells with Granada and Bordeaux over the course of the last two seasons, Ilori was pleased to be back representing the Reds once more.

"It felt great [to be back]. I haven't been here for a while, it feels good to get some more minutes in a Liverpool shirt - that's what I need," he told Liverpoolfc.com. "It's different [being back in English football] but everything's good to learn and get more experience. I haven't played for a few months so the most important thing for me was to get back in my rhythm."

The centre-back even reflected positively on his recent injury, stating: "I hadn't had a holiday and it's difficult to go two years straight. You need time off so it was at the right time."

The London-born stopper also underlined his main aim for the 2015-15 season: earning a place in Brendan Rodgers' first team. "I want to play for Liverpool,"he explained."I'm here to play, I don't want to be at Liverpool just to be sitting around. My objective is the same as every other player, we all want to play, so everyone is going to fight for their place."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/academy/192221-ilori-glad-to-be-back-in-reds-action

Welcome back, Ilori <3
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #402: Aug 20, 2015 01:37:09 am
      I really hope he gets his chance. Does anyone know, was he one of the "committee" signings or was this a Brendan signing? As it seems that Brendan is going with "his" picks and pushing away the ones that were offered by the TC.
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #403: Aug 20, 2015 11:14:45 am
      10:46
      ‘I WANT LFC PLACE’

Out of favour Liverpool defender Tiago Ilori wants to stay at the club rather than leave on loan for the third straight season.

The 22-year-old joined from Sporting Lisbon two years ago but has yet to make his debut for the club and has spent the last two seasons out on loan at Granada and Bordeaux.

He told the Liverpool Echo: “I want to play for Liverpool. I don’t want to be in Liverpool just to be sitting around. My objective is the same as every other player, we all want to play so everyone’s going to fight for their place,” he added.

“I joined Liverpool two seasons ago to play for Liverpool, that is my number one objective so I’m going to do everything to make that happen.”

It's a bad management style if that's how Brendan is going to do it. Some of the committee's signings are no doubt better than the likes of Allen and Borini.
      I really hope he gets his chance. Does anyone know, was he one of the "committee" signings or was this a Brendan signing? As it seems that Brendan is going with "his" picks and pushing away the ones that were offered by the TC.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #404: Aug 20, 2015 07:01:27 pm
      Certainly a player I want to see in our red shirt soon.
      Would love him to either stay and be the 4th pick CB or go on loan to a premier league club and get regular game time.
      No point staying and never playing or going to foreign climes and not learning the speed and physically of the English top tier league.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #405: Aug 20, 2015 07:06:03 pm
      Certainly a player I want to see in our red shirt soon.
      Would love him to either stay and be the 4th pick CB or go on loan to a premier league club and get regular game time.
      No point staying and never playing or going to foreign climes and not learning the speed and physically of the English top tier league.

Seeing as though sakho has been frozen out then I would expect llori to be thord choice once he is up to speed, no way can he be any worse than Kolo.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #406: Aug 20, 2015 07:08:43 pm
      I hope so.
      He looked good for portugal U-21 in the summer tournament.
      I just don't rate any of our CB that highly.
      Certainly don't get all the praise and broken hearted responses to the proposed departure of Sakho. Just isn't that good. 
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #407: Aug 20, 2015 10:49:45 pm
      Great attitude, great character, great player. Unfortunately don't think he'll get his chance here if I'm honest. Upsetting because I think him and Tex are top quality players. Hope I'm wrong, but our squad is just too big for these guys to get the starting time they need at top flight to develop and reach their potentials. Even more upsetting because I feel that if they were given time consistently at a high level, Ilori would be a top 2 CB for us and Tex would be rated higher than Ibe and a few others (whom I rate highly as well).

Call me batsh*t crazy, but I've seen both of these guys play extensively and I know the raw talent that's there (lifelong Sporting fan, also Portuguese dual citizen who watches every Portugal game of all ages that I can). Hope I'm proven wrong and that they get given good chances at our club. At least in Europa this season.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #408: Aug 20, 2015 11:10:33 pm
      Great attitude, great character, great player. Unfortunately don't think he'll get his chance here if I'm honest. Upsetting because I think him and Tex are top quality players. Hope I'm wrong, but our squad is just too big for these guys to get the starting time they need at top flight to develop and reach their potentials. Even more upsetting because I feel that if they were given time consistently at a high level, Ilori would be a top 2 CB for us and Tex would be rated higher than Ibe and a few others (whom I rate highly as well).

Call me batsh*t crazy, but I've seen both of these guys play extensively and I know the raw talent that's there (lifelong Sporting fan, also Portuguese dual citizen who watches every Portugal game of all ages that I can). Hope I'm proven wrong and that they get given good chances at our club. At least in Europa this season.

I'm just going to throw this out there but I'd love to see Ilori and Sakho as our first team pairing at least for a game or two, to see how they play together.

Two quick players that are good with the ball at their feet, and good in the air. Seems like just what we need.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,194 posts | 4406 
      Reply #409: Aug 20, 2015 11:13:42 pm
      I'm just going to throw this out there but I'd love to see Ilori and Sakho as our first team pairing at least for a game or two, to see how they play together.

Two quick players that are good with the ball at their feet, and good in the air. Seems like just what we need.

In theory would seem the perfect partnership. A bit like the French national team.

bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #410: Aug 20, 2015 11:15:11 pm

Might be a tad insane throwing a completely unfamiliar CB pairing in against Arsenal on Monday.

But I would like to see how they get on together in a league cup or Europa Leage group game.

lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #411: Aug 20, 2015 11:19:24 pm
      In theory would seem the perfect partnership. A bit like the French national team.

Made that exact point earlier today.
      Illori is a tad like Varane
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #412: Aug 20, 2015 11:45:43 pm

Would absolutely love to see that in our first EL or cup game and then from there see if they can find their way into the first team for sure. Or if Skrtel/Lovren begin to struggle at some point, I'd like to see them coupled in the league even. I think their skills work together and complement each other very well.

As others mentioned, he is similar to Varane, the type of player that couples perfectly with a Sakho-type. Quick, tall, good on the ball, capable of the tackle, good in the air, not a mean bruiser type of center back, but more of a level-headed composed defender.

This is unfortunately where I struggle to see Kolo's existence in the squad. There's a good chance he could eat up Ilori's spot in those games. He's got tremendous experience and could be a great leader, but hopefully he shouldn't be a detriment to the development of our other players, Ilori in this case.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,338 posts | 6390 
      Reply #413: Aug 21, 2015 02:39:57 am
      Might be a tad insane throwing a completely unfamiliar CB pairing in against Arsenal on Monday.

But I would like to see how they get on together in a league cup or Europa Leage group game.

Yea, I didn't explain very well...I surely wouldn't do it against Arsenal...and maybe not in the league games unless it was against vastly inferior competition (Sunderland ;D)

Quick Reply