Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Transfer deadline day (and other clubs)

Read 21555 times
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Re: Transfer deadline day (and other clubs)
      Reply #345: Sep 03, 2013 12:11:47 am
      The mood on Red Cafe is toxic. Toxic I tell ya! Bursting at the seams! It's a scene of chaos and farce!!!

http://www.redcafe.net/threads/united-in-this-summer-transfer-window.370872/page-74

:lmao:

Funny as F**k to watch them in meltdown.  ;D
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #346: Sep 03, 2013 12:12:25 am
      #MoyesOut and #WoodwardOut trending
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #347: Sep 03, 2013 12:13:21 am
      It's not what Arsenal need. Their defence has been sh*t for ages now (Wenger thought Silvestre was good enough....), I can't believe they haven't sorted it out.

In that aspect, I'm surprised they didn't go for Sakho, so delighted at our centre backs looking at them. Starting from Lucas and those playing behind him - including goalkeeper - we are far superior than Arsenal.

Agree that Arsenal aren't great at the back but they've probably now got one of the best sides when attacking. So as long as they score more than the opposition I still think they are a threat. I think their squad is underestimated too and they do have strength in depth when all are injury free.
                              Szczesny

Sagna    Mertesacker   Koscielny   Gibbs

Ramsey    Wilshere

Walcott       Ozil       Cazorla

Giroud

Vermaelen, Jenkinson, Monreal, Flamini, Podolski, Rosicky, Arteta, Diaby, Ox, Sanogo

That's still a very strong side IMO, and that's without some of their injured players. Going forward they could be very dangerous so teams do need to exploit their defensive weaknesses. I think Arsenal, United and Spurs will be our direct competition to finish 3rd, I can't see us finishing 1st or 2nd unfortunately even with our fantastic start.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #348: Sep 03, 2013 12:15:01 am
      Moyes in , Viva Moyes . ;D
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #349: Sep 03, 2013 12:15:33 am
      Remember this time last year? We were a shambles in the market and in the league and we were right up sh*t creek.

Fast forward a year and the waters couldn't be calmer!
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,974 posts | 3058 
      Reply #350: Sep 03, 2013 12:16:20 am
      I think Baines is fantastic but on his day the best left back in the league is still Ashley Cole. An arse of a human being but a superb defender!

Don't agree with your first sentence FMS - honestly don't think he's been the same player for 2-3 years. The first half of the second sentence however is irrefutable!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #351: Sep 03, 2013 12:18:39 am
      Don't agree with your first sentence FMS - honestly don't think he's been the same player for 2-3 years. The first half of the second sentence however is irrefutable!

And I wouldn't be surprised if Bertrand was first choice at Chelsea by the end of the season.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #352: Sep 03, 2013 12:18:42 am
      Remember this time last year? We were a shambles in the market and in the league and we were right up sh*t creek.

Fast forward a year and the waters couldn't be calmer!
      I remember it all too well , the shoe is on the other foot now and it feels so good .
      DanMann

• 5,761 posts | 884 
      Reply #353: Sep 03, 2013 12:18:43 am
      @OliverKayTimes

MORE bad news for #mufc? RT @GuillemBalague: my colleague @Manu_Sainz says Coentrao will STAY at Real Madrid. And if he says it, it is true
      Chasman555
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 387 posts |
      • Liverpool Forever YNWA
      Reply #354: Sep 03, 2013 12:19:13 am

Didn't take long
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #355: Sep 03, 2013 12:26:10 am
      @OliverKayTimes

MORE bad news for #mufc? RT @GuillemBalague: my colleague @Manu_Sainz says Coentrao will STAY at Real Madrid. And if he says it, it is true

Hahaha, we should be in for this lad in January, sorry Enrique but you're not a patch on the lad.
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #356: Sep 03, 2013 12:29:48 am
      3 imposters fkd the herrera deal up according to espn hahaha http://www.espn.co.uk/football/sport/story/234759.html
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #357: Sep 03, 2013 12:33:10 am
      Tweet of the day from TheSPORTBible:

"Man Utd are starting to resemble a drunk on the pull at closing time. Might just have one more pop at the 6ft 4in hairy one....."

And even God's in on the Scum bashing now:

Robbie Fowler:
      "Good player fellaini.... But just not a man utd player"
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #358: Sep 03, 2013 01:13:17 am
      David Ornstein, BBC Sport
      OZIL TO ARSENAL
      "Arsenal have agreed a 50m euros deal with Real Madrid to sign Germany midfielder Mesut Ozil.

"The 24-year-old has agreed personal terms and will now undergo a medical.

"The medical will take place in Germany, where Ozil is on international duty."

http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/23881003

Bad news for us! Oezil will improve Arsenal quite a bit!
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #359: Sep 03, 2013 01:22:37 am
      I can't believe this happened to Man United. They went out and hired a real winner in "The Chosen One" -- a man whose accomplishments speak for themselves. I can't believe so many players turned down the opportunity to work with a manager of Moyes' caliber.

:lmao:
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #360: Sep 03, 2013 02:07:29 am
      I am very, very happy about Victor Moses....I saw him play a few times and I remember saying I wish we had him. He is a solid player and adds some good size to the front which we need with Aspas and Coutinho. He reminds me of Johnson.

Can anyone give me the rundown on Thiago Ilori and Mamadou Sakho? I have heard the name Sakho when he was w/ PSG. He got a 12 mil fee, so he must be decent but I dont know much about those 2.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #361: Sep 03, 2013 03:47:55 am
      TBH... I feel that we lucked on monday's game vs manutd being played so early and their transfer business so slow :).  Also, Rooney getting a nasty cut and being unavailable was timely as well.  our tie with them in a couple of weeks will be a much different side with alot more movement and creativity. Also, it will be played in Old Toilet as well.  I hope BR has some tricks up his sleeves :D

A quick rundown on the other teams I feel we will compete for top 4 ... and top 6 with.

Manutd:  although they didnt do too much, they do have a pretty solid side already.  As much as I dont like to say ... Manutd, does have a beautiful balance of experience and youth... besides ole giggs, they have a pretty amazing side with alot of their players hitting their career stride now. 

Man city: Pell imo did the best job in this transfer window when comparing to all the new coaches.  He got his priority targets in early.. had pre-season with them.. found out what the team needed (defense support) and got it done. man city will be difficult

Arsenal: What can I say?  it has been a horrid transfer for them.. but with one swift signing... it seems like all is forgiven (at least from the fans perspective).  I lifted a comment from one of their posts that I found funny 'So this is how Man City & Chelsea fans feel. 8) '... imo... with ozil and if everyone of their starting XI is 100%, they would be solid. Ozil is actually my fav player on the germany squad... I rate him very highly... but they are in a ton of competitions.. I dont believe they have the depth to be successful in everything.  for example, say giroud gets injured... their striker quality dips greatly. 

Chelsea:  Jose is a smart manager and I like the business he has done this transfer window.  However, his striker issues are still there. Not much required to say regarding chelsea as I think they are solid.. and with Jose back (he is a tactical genius imo)... they are very versatile and can truly play many different styles of football.  One thing I do want to point out is that Arsenal really wanted Ba on a loan but that loan deal got canned.  It could be because they couldnt find another striker but also because he doesnt want to reinforce a top 4 competitor? but moses came to us.  Although some would still argue if we can sustain a top 4 push.. i truly think the relationship between BR and Jose made the deal happen.

Spurs:  They were busy from the first day of the window to the last day.  Truly impressive players they brought in.  I personally dont like spurs too much... more than manutd and everton of course... but i must give a small props to how they dragged the sale of Bale to real madrid... absolutely hilarious how they kept the Bernabeu waiting... erecting then dismantling the stage haha... perez's blood pressure must have sky rocketed too....  I bet behind closed doors levy was like... Perez ole chap.. np Bale is yours.. go print those shirts... build the stage..... then of course they kept real waiting :D    As for the team... It is like an overhaul.  lets hope they need lots of time to gel.  I have no doubt they will be solid tho...

and now us

Liverpool:  I think we did get alot stronger... and we added quality depth.  I also think we can have one of the most feared attacking sides in the prem league.  If sturridge can stay fit.. and with suarez back.. we have enough firepower / movement / creativity to fear most sides.  I personally rate aspas.. I dont think he was 'overwhelmed' in the manutd game.. I thought he could have played better yes but the guy is a work horse and his fluidity will make him do well with us.  alberto I still need to see him more before i can make a better analysis.  however from what i see... I think he is a skilled player but his movement off the ball could improve.  Our defense with sakho and ilago now is more solid.. there is finally quality depth.  I hope one day I wont be on my knees praying to our football gods everytime an opponent has a set piece in our final third.

lastly, I think our midfield while good is where we could improve more in the next transfer window. Gerrard is a living legend and I think he still has many good years left in him... but as time continues... his 'good' will be more of a niche role.  BR moving him back a bit gives him the opportunity to 'catch a breath' and time to think.  I am a huge Henderson fan... said to my mates the first time I saw him play with us that he will become one of my favourite liverpool players.  He had an uphill battle justifying his transfer fee and more importantly he was bought in that ill-fated transfer window.. he is the sole survivor I believe.   I think with mentoring and time, his potential will unlock, his work rate is top class... and we need work horses if we are to play the BR style.  Allen to me needs to have a longer healthy spell before if we can say he is good for us or a flop.  I feel for the lad... seems like a good kid.... but he needs to be more physical.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #362: Sep 03, 2013 10:09:20 am
      Spurs were by far the most impressive in the transfer window who managed to secure deals very quickly. They were unlucky to lose out Willian to Chelsea but securing the services of Paulinho, Soldado, Eriksen, and Lamela was a real statement of intent. These are four marquee signings. Bale will be a massive loss for Tottenham, but given these players are yet to gel, I don't think they'll be crying for him back for much longer.

Arsenal have already a decent squad. The Ozil signing surprised me because it's not what I expected them to be after. I would've expected them to sign someone in the mould of Yaya Toure. Someone who can boss that midfield and take control of the game. Arsenal are definitely stronger this season though. Ramsey and Giroud have improved immensely so are therefore like new signings.

Liverpool have improved in some decent areas. Although I think Agger and Skrtel are decent enough centre backs, as proved against the mancs. They were still being unchallenged and were leaking goals against smaller opposition though. I think we're looking lively in attack, which is good, and we still have Suarez to return. I actually think we needed a Xabi Alonso type player more than anything this summer. When we take the lead, we always become pushed back into our own half. We need that midfield strength to overcome that and continue to press forward despite being in the lead. This is obviously improved by a decent holding midfielder who can dictate the pace of the play and slow it down when necessary. I think Gerrard has recaptured his passion for the game, as he's come to the realisation that his days as a footballer are numbered given he's 33. Lucas however needs some healthy competition. I think we could've done with someone in that position. For me, Coutinho is looking rather wasted out wide, so Moses was a decent option to allow him to play in the no.10 role. After seeing the marquee signings Spurs made, and that one incredible signing Arsenal made, I am still a little annoyed we didn't buy anyone of a much higher standard in that attacking position. Losing Willian was by far the biggest blow of this transfer window. Hopefully we'll sign someone in the January transfer window as we've only spent around £24m net (which in my opinion isn't enough).
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #363: Sep 03, 2013 10:25:48 am
      Very, very happy with our work in defence. Got LB cover and sorted out the CB position with Toure and Sakho. Ilori is an interesting one - he'll struggle for game time now that Skrtel is staying, maybe a loan?

I'll admit I'm slightly underwhelmed by our signings further up the pitch bar Moses. He'll do really well for us, I just hope Chelsea are willing to sell next summer if he does deliver like I expect. Still think we lack a CM, especially cover for Lucas. When Hendo plays we only have one CM (Allen) which isn't good enough.

Striker wise I would have liked to keep Borini when it became clear that no replacement was coming in.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #364: Sep 03, 2013 11:56:01 am
      i thin we've had a very good transfer period and the team is much stronger now. I agree that I would have liked to see an explosive CM signed but i think our midfield is just about strong enough unless we have lots of injuries all at once. in attack we now have some real firepower, enough to match most teams and in defence we are considerably stronger. In conclusion I think we have a real chance for 3rs/4th place this season, especially becuase I can't see Manure competing, they are nothign like the team of last year, they were very ordinary against us, even when we allowed them to attack.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #365: Sep 03, 2013 12:02:18 pm
      PSG have terminated Momo Sissoko's contract. Bring him back!!! ;D
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,265 posts | 2826 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #366: Sep 03, 2013 01:00:44 pm

Even for the song alone!

we got the best midfield in the world
      we got momo Sissoko
      Jordan Hendo
      Gerrard,lucas and
      coutinho ooo...
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #367: Sep 03, 2013 01:34:10 pm

I swear I thought he signed for Reading!

Quick Reply