Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)

Read 205042 times
      LFC_Stuart_1988
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,089 posts | 45 
      Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)
      Sep 02, 2013 09:21:40 am
      Reds announce Sakho signing

Liverpool Football Club is delighted to announce the signing of French international defender Mamadou Sakho from Paris Saint-Germain.

The 23-year-old put pen to paper on a long-term contract with the Reds at Melwood after successfully passing a medical at the club's training complex.

After completing his move, Sakho told Liverpoolfc.com: "I'm delighted to be here. I'd like to thank everyone for the welcome.

"I came here because the project that is in place at Liverpool interests me. I'm really looking forward to playing my first game."

Sakho is capable of playing in central defence or at left-back and has made 14 appearances for his country since an international debut against England in November 2010.

After progressing through the French giants' youth academy, the defender made his debut for PSG in 2007 and played a total of 201 games for the capital club.

During more than six years in the first team there, he collected three major trophies - the Ligue 1 title, the Coupe de France and the Coupe de la Ligue - and was named the country's young player of the year at the end of 2010-11.

"I'm really looking forward to cracking on with work and I can't wait to get on the pitch," continued Sakho.

"I know the Liverpool fans are fantastic and while I was in France, it was clear for me to see they are amongst the best in England."

Sakho becomes the Reds' seventh signing of the summer transfer window, joining Luis Alberto, Iago Aspas, Aly Cissokho, Tiago Ilori, Simon Mignolet and Kolo Toure in Brendan Rodgers' squad.

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/144053-reds-announce-sakho-signing

'My aim is Champions League football'

Liverpool's new signing Mamadou Sakho has spoken of his desire to play in the Champions League for the Reds – and his determination to help write a new, successful chapter in the club's history.

The centre-back signed a long-term contract with the club on Monday  - and afterwards he sat down for an exclusive interview which LFCTV Online subscribers can watch by clicking play below. If you're not a subscriber, join now from £2.99.

Sakho watched the Reds in Europe from afar growing up in Paris, and their famous triumph of 2005 in Istanbul is an event that will live long in his memory.

"My aim while I am here is to play in the Champions League with Liverpool," he told Liverpoolfc.com. "I remember their teams when they were in the competition when I was younger.

"The Champions League is a tournament that all the great clubs in Europe participate in and that's where we need to get to.

"With the team we have, and the means put at the disposal of the players, the technical support and the whole club and its supporters are in a good position to get there. This is our objective.

"With regards to the history of Liverpool, the thing that struck me most was the victory in the Champions League final when I was very young. I don't remember how old I was but I was very young and I remember this fantastic event, which always impressed me.

"I hope to create a new piece of history with our supporters at Anfield."

Sakho's arrival at Anfield adds to the competition for places at the heart of the Liverpool defence.

And while the 23-year-old already has bags of experience that belie his tender years - he's not fazed by competing with older, more established centre-backs for a place in Brendan Rodgers' side.

"In a large club, having competition is something you expect," said Sakho. "To get the best out of any player, you need to have competition.

"Competition doesn't give me any worries. Competition makes the team grow and makes the club grow because that's the objective and the goal of everyone here.

"I've been at Melwood for a day and it's very good. The training areas are impressive and everything is in place for the players to keep in top condition.

"Everything is adapted for professional sports-people and it really gives a good image of a club like Liverpool."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/144055-my-aim-is-champions-league-football
      « Last Edit: Mar 26, 2019 11:16:21 pm by 7-King Kenny-7 »
      Paisleydalglish
      Re: Mamadou Sakho Player Thread
      Reply #1: Sep 02, 2013 09:30:16 am
      Welcome big man good luck

Quality signing.

Diego??   :sadlook:  :depressed:
      HKIred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 751 posts | 34 
      Reply #2: Sep 02, 2013 09:31:30 am
      Raised by the club’s sometimes sieve-like youth academy since 2002, ‘Kirikou’ has gone on to become one of the PSG’s best recent graduates

I think Kirikou was dropped into magic potion pot when he was youger, just like the fellow gallic Obelix. Big fella, welcome to Liverpool!

And thumbs up that your stint in Anfield is succesful.
      « Last Edit: Sep 02, 2013 09:37:02 am by HKIred »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #3: Sep 02, 2013 09:35:15 am
      Really rate this lad, think he might have a nervy start to his career whilst he adjusts to the premier league but think he'll grow into one of the best defenders around once he gets a season or two under his belt.

Welcome to the club Sakho.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #4: Sep 02, 2013 09:36:07 am

Welcome to the club Mr Sakho, we've been expecting you.
      lfc_ynwa
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,109 posts | 233 
      • In Kenny we trust. YNWA. Tits!!
      Reply #5: Sep 02, 2013 09:39:54 am
      Welcome!
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #6: Sep 02, 2013 09:40:43 am
       Welcome to Anfield,we know that you will settle in quick because a lot of us scousers can speak French,we can say Gerrard Houllier.Just ask Phil Thompson.
      LFCBosnia
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 353 posts | 12 
      Reply #7: Sep 02, 2013 09:46:31 am
      So delighted with Sakho signing for us.  Looks a strong personality and a quality player.

:welcome: and all the best at LFC !

:kop5cf8koxp6: :scarf: YNWA!  :scarf: :kop5cf8koxp6:
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #8: Sep 02, 2013 09:56:10 am
      Welcome to the club looks like a stong and confident CB who will prob slot in as a LB while we have Cissoko out injured. prob his 1st game will be the cup game against UTD.

has anyone watched him play 90 min and if so what are his stenghts, weaknesses etc
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #9: Sep 02, 2013 09:57:54 am
      Welcome to the Reds big fella - be part of the evolution. PSG's loss is definitely our gain here.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #10: Sep 02, 2013 09:59:00 am
      Welcome to the Reds big fella - be part of the evolution. PSG's loss is definitely our gain here.

Is right mate.
      HKIred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 751 posts | 34 
      Reply #11: Sep 02, 2013 10:20:53 am
      PSG : Sakho embête Ibrahimovic pendant l'interview --

Photo bomping Ibra's interview. Glad to see, he has funny side as well.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,596 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #12: Sep 02, 2013 10:39:43 am
      Welcome to Anfield. Where legend are made!

YNWA
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,965 posts | 3047 
      Reply #13: Sep 02, 2013 10:43:46 am
      Welcome to Liverpool big man - now you're going to know what the big time means!

biki
      • Never negative about anything. Apart from LFC, Klopp, etc etc.
      • Forum John Barnes

• 419 posts | 47 
      Reply #14: Sep 02, 2013 11:16:53 am
      Anyone know how much he has cost?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,019 posts | 2741 
      Reply #15: Sep 02, 2013 11:18:30 am
      Great signing.

Can really see him doing well here.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #16: Sep 02, 2013 11:30:11 am
      Mamadou Sakho eh!

Welcome!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #17: Sep 02, 2013 12:00:21 pm
      Happy with this signing.
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,601 posts | 855 
      Reply #18: Sep 02, 2013 12:15:08 pm
      Welcome to the club, Sakho.

Any vids of the first interview?
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #19: Sep 02, 2013 12:28:09 pm
      Welcome Mamadou, your face scares the bejeezus outta me and hopefully Im not alone there. Your gonna murder the league!
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #20: Sep 02, 2013 12:40:23 pm
      Brilliant! Now I won't have to spend part of our transfer budget on him in Fifa14!
      fletch_rox
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,189 posts | 12 
      • JFT96
      Reply #21: Sep 02, 2013 12:40:50 pm
      But seriously, welcome to Mamadou and hopefully he'll be a great player for us
      skolRED
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,132 posts | 256 
      Reply #22: Sep 02, 2013 12:41:39 pm
      Welcome Sakho!

Quick Reply