Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Mamadou Sakho (Liverpool > Crystal Palace)

Read 206531 times
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Mamadou Sakho Player Thread
      Reply #414: Apr 08, 2014 12:35:34 pm
      I am still unconvinced by Sakho. Good passer but needs to improve on his defending a fair bit for me. Maybe I am expecting to much, but I think he needs to improve (which I think he will) next season.  On another day his poor header after Carroll hit the bar could have been fatal. Speaking of which, WTF was Johnson marking Carroll for ? Surely we should have had Skrtel or Sakho (presumably our best headers) marking him? 

To be fair to him he hasn't played much at all recently and was thrown in against a team that was always going to make our centre halfs work a lot under pressure. Thought he did fairly well considering, barring that error you mentioned.

Got to agree with those that say this guy is the real deal. Think he's going to convince a few more of the fence sitters as time goes on.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #415: Apr 08, 2014 01:53:50 pm
      Sakho and Ilori in 2 years time. Beasts.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #416: Apr 09, 2014 12:01:06 am
      I am still unconvinced by Sakho. Good passer but needs to improve on his defending a fair bit for me. Maybe I am expecting to much, but I think he needs to improve (which I think he will) next season.  On another day his poor header after Carroll hit the bar could have been fatal. Speaking of which, WTF was Johnson marking Carroll for ? Surely we should have had Skrtel or Sakho (presumably our best headers) marking him? 

Johnson has been marking some very good aerial players on corner pieces this year. Not sure why. Lukaku abused him for Everton's goal late on.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #417: Apr 09, 2014 12:40:35 pm
      When I see that Sakho is starting the match in the team- it makes me much more relaxed about the strength of our defense and any cock ups will be minimal.

I may be deluded but that's what he instils in me and he has the potential to be one of the top three defenders in the league.

Totally love his style of passing, he controls it quick, looks around and decides (in a short space of time). He's accurate and doesn't hold on to the ball too long, ideal for us.

With time he will be the leader who organises all those around him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #418: Apr 09, 2014 03:11:40 pm
      No concerns about Sakho at all he will be our number 1 CB next year without a doubt, an aggressive front foot defender just what we need.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #419: Apr 09, 2014 03:27:31 pm
      I rate him and have since I first saw him. Going to be a monster.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #420: Apr 09, 2014 05:18:33 pm
      I rate him and have since I first saw him. Going to be a monster.

Would you play him instead of Agger for the rest of this season?
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #421: Apr 09, 2014 07:28:49 pm

Is Agger going to be fit for any more of the season?
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #422: Apr 09, 2014 07:44:30 pm
      Is Agger going to be fit for any more of the season?

Agger is supposedly fit to face Citeh... if selected.

http://nesn.com/2014/04/healthy-daniel-agger-fights-for-starting-spot-in-liverpool-manchester-city/
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #423: Apr 09, 2014 11:16:24 pm

Yup I would play him before Agger and I have been a massive fan of Agger but just feel he is not the  same player from a couple of years ago. Gets outmuscled too easily and has list a yard of pace.

mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #424: Apr 09, 2014 11:30:18 pm
      Gets outmuscled too easily and has list a yard of pace.

That's the most accurate assessment of him that I've seen. That loss of pace was evident when Campbell outran him running across the box before scoring to make it 2-1 to Cardiff.

About Sakho though, he makes me very assured when playing and loves a solid, hard challenge like Skrtel which makes me think that if one of them gets caught out of position at any time then the other would back him up and the outcome would be the same regardless, if that makes sense?

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #425: Apr 10, 2014 02:07:40 am
      Skrtel and Sakho are our best pair for me.

I love the lad. Big, strong, fairly pacey and can defend in the air and on the ground. Agger has that hit and miss about him (i love the guy don't get me wrong).

Certainly a good thing to have all three fit and fighting for a spot. All quality players and you need that in a team at the top.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #426: Apr 11, 2014 06:13:29 pm

Yes mate I would, no question about it. I would guess that if he plays against City on Sunday (which I think he should) then he will pick up Kompany from set-pieces. I think Sakho adds a lot in terms of strength and resilience to our back four.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #427: Apr 11, 2014 07:01:50 pm
      Yes mate I would, no question about it. I would guess that if he plays against City on Sunday (which I think he should) then he will pick up Kompany from set-pieces. I think Sakho adds a lot in terms of strength and resilience to our back four.

I wouldn't have broken up a settled back four during this run in but once Agger's injury happened to let Sakho in then I'd keep him in the side as well Mick.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #428: Apr 11, 2014 08:06:54 pm

He played Sakho against Citeh last time....and Kompany scored. Personally I would probably go with the experience of Agger, but his lack of pace is a real worry. Most of our clean sheets have been with Agger playing so it will be a difficult decision for Brendan, but as long as we don't go 3 at the back I am reasonably happy either way.

I am still NOT 100% convinced about Sakho mate, but I have never been 100% convinced about Agger defensively either.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #429: Apr 11, 2014 08:51:30 pm
      I'm not going to lie - the lad still scares me on the ball and given time to think.

Still think there's a player in there but I can't say I've total confidence in him.

Personally I'd stick with D'agger - but I'm getting old and suspicious about change!
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #430: Apr 11, 2014 08:56:32 pm
      I'm not going to lie - the lad still scares me on the ball and given time to think.

Still think there's a player in there but I can't say I've total confidence in him.

Personally I'd stick with D'agger - but I'm getting old and suspicious about change!

I think with his ungainly style people automatically assume he is clumsy and a disaster about to happen when in fact you just need to see his stats always finds his man and were not talking about 5 yard side way passes here. He offers us a great outlet in getting the ball quickly and accurately to Gerrard or another midfielder in the fast paced breakout football we have all seen this season.

TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #431: Apr 11, 2014 08:57:40 pm
      He played Sakho against Citeh last time....and Kompany scored.

This is true. But it's also true that Agger loses his mark a lot more than Sakho. Loads of times last year, this year vs Southampton, etc.

Tough call because Agger and Skrtel have played well together recently and in an ideal situation, Agger doesn't pick up a knock last week, we stick with those two and we don't even have a discussion. Kind of a nice problem though to go into a match with 3 in-form CBs.

I honestly think this is such a myth with Sakho. He looks tremendously awkward, almost goofy, but his passing accuracy -- in both our end and in the final third -- is outstanding. Better than Agger's, technically.
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #432: Apr 11, 2014 09:44:25 pm
      I think with his ungainly style people automatically assume he is clumsy and a disaster about to happen when in fact you just need to see his stats always finds his man and were not talking about 5 yard side way passes here. He offers us a great outlet in getting the ball quickly and accurately to Gerrard or another midfielder in the fast paced breakout football we have all seen this season.

I honestly think this is such a myth with Sakho. He looks tremendously awkward, almost goofy, but his passing accuracy -- in both our end and in the final third -- is outstanding. Better than Agger's, technically.

I'm not a great one for stats guys but l hope you're right - I like the kid - but right now I trust my eyes and instinct.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #433: Apr 11, 2014 10:33:16 pm
      To be fair there is an argument he's as good on the ball as Agger.

One of his strengths.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #434: Apr 11, 2014 11:42:44 pm
                   Appearaces    Duals Won    Pass Accuracy    Av Pass Dist.     Tot defence errors

Sakho             14           59%.             92%.                 21m                   2
      Agger.             18           61%              88%.                 20m                   3
      Skrtel             31            60%              91%                  20m                  3

Figures from Squawka , I know a bit debatable but if anything suggests we have 3 fantastic CB's.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #435: Apr 14, 2014 12:20:30 pm
      I genuinely think he plays great balls forward. Always looking to get it to feet and isn't afraid to try which is perfect for the type of football liverpool play.

He looks a little all over the place when put under pressure but I think that's just the way his body / coordination is. Just looks odd sometimes.

His physique and power really impresses me. Great addition to squad and held his own during the city game.
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,203 posts | 838 
      Reply #436: Apr 14, 2014 12:23:58 pm
      To be fair there is an argument he's as good on the ball as Agger.

One of his strengths.

He is a lot better on the ball than Agger, he just looks all gangly that's why people think he isn't as good. Yesterday he showed his composure and showed that he knows how to pass the ball and bring it out from the defense. I'm only worried about his decision making sometimes, goes into tackles when he shouldn't, but was generally solid yesterday

Quick Reply