Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Man City clear out

Read 5313 times
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Re: Man City clear out
      Reply #23: May 19, 2014 10:12:27 pm
      Does Gael Clichy not qualify as home-grown or am I way off here?

Sorry mate, I had already written about the 7 home grown players before I realised that I missed Clichy out of the Champions League squad.

Somehow yes Clichy does qualify as home grown.
      Given this perceived 'clear out' however does it worry anyone else that Citeh (or more accurately the sheiks) are simply going to say up yours uefa and make silly money bids for Lallana Shaw Wiltshire Ramsey Henderson and Sterling?

Clichy qualifies as he came through the academy at Arsenal.

Believe me when I say this, if City tried anything like that then there will be even further punishments being handed out to City by UEFA (transfer embargo for a few windows and being kicked out of Europe to name a few possible punishments). Everybody knows the egos that exist in the UEFA organisation, they won't want to be taken the piss of. Also, I really don't think Wilshire, Ramsey, Henderson and Sterling will be available to any club this summer. Henderson and Sterling will be loving the game time they're getting as well as how well their seasons went as individuals and Arsenal seem to be building their team around Ramsey at the moment.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #24: May 19, 2014 10:23:42 pm
      Sorry mate, I had already written about the 7 home grown players before I realised that I missed Clichy out of the Champions League squad.

No worries mate, I wasn't sure myself, thought I'd heard about it before.
      therealjr
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,116 posts | 147 
      Reply #25: May 19, 2014 11:20:20 pm
      Believe me when I say this, if City tried anything like that then there will be even further punishments being handed out to City by UEFA (transfer embargo for a few windows and being kicked out of Europe to name a few possible punishments). Everybody knows the egos that exist in the UEFA organisation, they won't want to be taken the piss of. Also, I really don't think Wilshire, Ramsey, Henderson and Sterling will be available to any club this summer. Henderson and Sterling will be loving the game time they're getting as well as how well their seasons went as individuals and Arsenal seem to be building their team around Ramsey at the moment.

My worry is as yet the FFP hasn't been tested in a court (law sporting or otherwise). Given that FIFA and UEFA are making noises about the Qatar World Cup you wonder if the sheiks are spoiling for a fight. Other than that I struggle to see how Citeh are going to field a team in the CL given the injury issues they have had this year.

crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #26: May 21, 2014 07:45:38 am
      If Nastasic is available I'd snap him up. Before his injury he looked superb. Hasn't been given a chance since (or is he still injured?)

And Milner.
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #27: May 21, 2014 07:51:36 am
      I suspect Garcia will do really well at his next club, assuming he's given a run in the team.

Just thinking out loud really, he probably wouldn't fit into our particular setup any more than Citeh's so I'm not saying we should go for him.
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #28: May 21, 2014 09:30:41 am
      Milner. Always plays well as an impact sub for them, am sure he would fit in to our setup also.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #29: May 21, 2014 11:44:12 am
      Zabaleta, even though I don't like how much he ran his mouth in the run in about how City were still in it....but it turns out he was right...and he was a big part of why they won it in my opinion.

He'd be an instant upgrade for us.
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #30: May 21, 2014 12:17:52 pm
      If we are letting Dagger go, Nastasic would be a credible replacement provided his injury mystery is resolved. If City go for Managala and Shawcross, he is really not going to get a lot of games

Being a ball-playing defender, I think it'll be a like-for-like replacement
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #31: May 21, 2014 12:21:54 pm
      No I don't want any of City's overpaid crocked rejects. And neither does our manager! So this thread is pointless.

Most press out there were reporting that we failed in a late bid to take Richards on loan in January so I wouldn't be quite so sure about that. Just because another club doesn't want a player it doesn't mean they can't contribute here.

Sturridge was a Chelsea 'reject' and look how he has turned out.

Rodwell and Milner are interesting. Neither player gets me excited but Milner is better than the criticism he gets (he certainly turned the game for them when he came on at Anfield) and I suspect he could have a decent future as a versatile centre-mid as he approaches his 30s. He strikes me as not being quite skilful enough to hold down a wide position but he has a terrific workrate and fitness. I wouldn't be displeased if we went after him.

As for Rodwell. Can't say I have seen enough of the lad to give an informed opinion. Unfortunately Lucas seems to have really lost a step so we need to upgrade in that position but I would hope that we could do better than Rodwell.

I always liked Richards but again, haven't seen him play in I don't know how long. If he could get fit and stay fit then maybe, he is only 25 after all.

Besides if you can pick up a so called 'reject' from one of our rivals on the cheap (at least in terms of a fee) it may leave a chunk of cash to spend outright on another target. There is supposed to be a decent transfer kitty for Brendan this summer but I still think we need to be clever in the market. I'd love to see us gamble on a player like Ravel Morrison who (if his head is ever right) would be a £20-30 million prospect but in the current market would command a much cheaper fee. Spurs picked up Van De Vaart a few seasons back when no one else in Europe seemed interested. I think we need to be on the look out for similar deals alongside going after a couple of blue chip players like Lallana. If that includes a 'reject' from City then so be it. 
      « Last Edit: May 21, 2014 12:43:05 pm by Scottbot »
      adammac
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,762 posts | 239 
      • Heart As Big As Liverpool
      Reply #32: May 21, 2014 05:14:59 pm
      Milner would be an interesting player to have, we are a side who doesn't have a big bench and having a player who can play a lot of different positions very effectively would be a major asset plus I always been a fan of him since his Newcastle days. Even though he may want to leave to get more playing time somewhere else I can't see Citeh letting him go with a big price tag or keeping him in wake of the FFP ruling
      Magillionare
      • Official LFC Reds Sig Maker. Lives on Sesame Street.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,918 posts | 2381 
      • Hold on a minute, John Wayne hasn't arrived yet.
      Reply #33: May 21, 2014 07:10:03 pm
      Jovetic

Quick Reply