Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: Swansea v LFC

Mignolet
      21 (14.7%)
      Sakho
      7 (4.9%)
      Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Wisdom
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      42 (29.4%)
      Henderson
      21 (14.7%)
      Gerrard
      1 (0.7%)
      Lucas
      3 (2.1%)
      Sturridge
      22 (15.4%)
      Coutinho
      15 (10.5%)
      Moses
      10 (7%)
      Aspas
      1 (0.7%)
      Toure
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Voting closed: Sep 20, 2013 10:02:01 pm

Swansea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Analysis

Read 36301 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Swansea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Analysis
      Reply #690: Sep 17, 2013 06:28:17 am
      I disagree completely Sakho was good, he just mmissed two tackles in the game and the frence commentator said it wouldn't be serious in the french league. skrtel was great too and calm. I agree that our  defense was not as good as usual but the 2 CBs were great IMO, Sakho just needs to learn that he must stay on his feet as long as he can.

He missed tackles and allowed players to run past him. Admittedly he improved in the second half , but to say our defence looked solid is a silly statement mate. What a French commentator says about errors not being serious in the French league has no bearing on anything, as he is now playing in the prem and mistakes get punished.

Don't misunderstand me, it was his first game and I have no doubt Sakho will improve, but anyone that thinks our defence looked solid yesterday must have been watching another game.

BTW I voted Skrtel m.o.t.m. so I do agree he did well.....sadly he had to!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,822 posts | 4920 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #691: Sep 17, 2013 07:23:27 am
      Thought both our debutants played well, Sakho is and will be a f***in beast once he settles and acclimatises to the EPL,
      Moses did well too and you can't ask for much more than bagging a goal on your debut, again I see him being a very useful player for us, just hope we can eventually buy him,

Incidentally I'm holding my hand up here and taking a bite of humble pie , I said in the general transfer thread that I didn't think Moses would fit, how wrong I was, he isn't just another teams cast off.

Well played to both new boys,

YNWA
      LFCexiled
      Reply #692: Sep 17, 2013 07:46:00 am
      After that second half I'm happy to settle for the draw but we need a new second half mentality/plan B.  Spending the majority of the second half defending is a recipe for disaster and will end up with us chasing wins,  not good.

Apart from that our second halves are stressing me out to F**k!
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,529 posts | 6887 
      Reply #693: Sep 17, 2013 08:01:00 am
      Incidentally I'm holding my hand up here and taking a bite of humble pie , I said in the general transfer thread that I didn't think Moses would fit, how wrong I was, he isn't just another teams cast off.

We've had two years of Stewart Downing pretending to be an attacking winger so we are coming from very low expectations.

Someone who can run and cross the ball into the box was always going to look better than Stewie.
      Muzzman1969
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 919 posts | 41 
      Reply #694: Sep 17, 2013 08:02:23 am
      I am a bit disappointed with the result, having got in front, but if you had offered me 10 points and top before the season, I would have taken it.  In past years we have often started slowly and come to life in the second half, but we seem to be the other way round at the moment.  I don't think that on the whole we have played particularly well apart from odd patches so far this season, so to be in the position we are in is a great start.

Our fading at around the 60 minute mark is a bit of a concern - fitness or playing to instructions?

I personally thought that Sakho was a bit dodgy on the night, but it does take defenders more time to settle to the pace of the EPL, and he did show some very composed touches - but needs to stay on his feet a bit more.

Nice goal from Moses and that will do him a world of good, but would like to see him more involved, as I didn't think he did much else.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #695: Sep 17, 2013 08:11:39 am
      While I'm not happy with the point purely because we had the lead, the reality is we where outplayed for a massive amount of the game and we are lucky to get anything from last night. 

The game changed when Phil got taken out....  So I'll happily take it.

The main aim this season was to improve on last year.

Stoke, Villa, United, Swansea - all games we would of previously lost or drawn.

It took us 9 games to get 10 points in 12-13.

After 4 matches last season, we where sitting in SEVENTEENTH on 2 points.....  Think about that.
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2013 08:19:42 am by nnilswerdna »
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #696: Sep 17, 2013 08:40:28 am
      They are a decent team and once they got up a head of steam we were hanging on a bit. Hang on we did though, and it ain't a bad point.

Observations:

Sakho will need to do much better or he's going to be a waste of money. My guess is he will, but at the moment Kolo Toure is much the better option.

Sturridge is turning into an absolutely top class goalscorer before our very eyes.

Lucas's lack of any pace whatsoever and our lack of a viable alternative to either him or Gerrard is costing us at the moment.

Aspas isn't going to be good enough. Funnily enough I said as much a few weeks back and got slaughtered for it, now it's seemingly Ok.

Moses will be a good player for us.

We desperately need Suarez back.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #697: Sep 17, 2013 09:03:49 am
      After that second half I'm happy to settle for the draw but we need a new second half mentality/plan B.  Spending the majority of the second half defending is a recipe for disaster and will end up with us chasing wins,  not good.

Apart from that our second halves are stressing me out to F**k!

You and me mate!
      Watching that second half last night and the longer it went on convinced me that there had been instruction at half time to fall back and defend what we had.
      By the by that F***ing animal should have seen red for a full blown karate kick to the chest of Coutinho, the F***ing ball was 10 yards past the tackle, our man wasn't the same player after the assault.
      « Last Edit: Sep 17, 2013 09:12:46 am by stuey »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #698: Sep 17, 2013 09:07:37 am
      They are a decent team and once they got up a head of steam we were hanging on a bit. Hang on we did though, and it ain't a bad point.

Observations:

Sakho will need to do much better or he's going to be a waste of money. My guess is he will, but at the moment Kolo Toure is much the better option.

Sturridge is turning into an absolutely top class goalscorer before our very eyes.

Lucas's lack of any pace whatsoever and our lack of a viable alternative to either him or Gerrard is costing us at the moment.

Aspas isn't going to be good enough. Funnily enough I said as much a few weeks back and got slaughtered for it, now it's seemingly Ok.

Moses will be a good player for us.

We desperately need Suarez back.

Spot on Mick. The most shocking for me has been Sturridge, I never really had a lot of faith in him ..... proving me wrong every game now :D  The way he anticipated and finished for his goal shows he is a true preditor, I just hope the welcome return of Suarez doesn't interrupt his run of goals. 
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #699: Sep 17, 2013 09:16:15 am
      It was always going to be tough. Swansea aren't a bad team and they are good at home. Happy enough with the point.

However, I am majorly fu**ed off with Ashley Williams. He was a major tw*t last night for having a go at Gerrard and Hendo, then fly kicking little Coutinho. Hope Phillipe is okay but him going off changed the game in my opinion and I am surprised not more has been made of Williams blatant kicking.
      Chico Banderas
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,072 posts | 150 
      Reply #700: Sep 17, 2013 09:53:32 am
      It was always going to be tough. Swansea aren't a bad team and they are good at home. Happy enough with the point.

However, I am majorly fu**ed off with Ashley Williams. He was a major tw*t last night for having a go at Gerrard and Hendo, then fly kicking little Coutinho. Hope Phillipe is okay but him going off changed the game in my opinion and I am surprised not more has been made of Williams blatant kicking.

I hate that **** so much its unreal... He wanted it with so many of our players last night (Still respect his attitude for his own team tho).. I was just chuckling to myself saying "Luis would tear you another lad, just you wait"..
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #701: Sep 17, 2013 09:55:19 am
      Cracking game of footy up until Coutinho went off...both teams knocking about really well and end to end stuff..we always looked dangerous going forward and we attacked in numbers..but soon as our samba man went off we sat 20 yds back and allowed them to come on to us from all angles...
      My only beef are these suicidal square balls we play across the backline even when there's 2 or 3 attckers breathing down our necks..and how we can have a throw in down by their corner flag and play all the way back to Mignolet is beyond me.. :f_steam:
      We lost any shape we had second half and ran around like headless chickens hoofing it up field in hope.
      Make no bones Swansea played well and could've sneaked it in the end but for Mignolet pulling off a couple of ace saves..

But hey..its all good and we are sat Top of the League with a home game up next..

Skirtel was awesome..some block tackle that was on the goal line first half.

Cracking finish by Moses..

Any news on Coutinho ?

Oh and cheers Jonjo... you Muppet !! ;D

Redangel

• 8,084 posts | 966 
      Reply #702: Sep 17, 2013 09:58:28 am

I'm with you on this. I thought he should have been off for the challenge on Coutinho. Even the commentators said it was cynical. He is a nasty piece of work and I am so glad we didn't sign him when it was rumoured we were in for him last season.
      As you say, weren't the same once Phillipe went off, so let's keep everything crossed that he's OK.
      Delighted we are still top, but still in shock over that 2nd half display.     :o
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #703: Sep 17, 2013 10:15:48 am
      I'll take the point. Beforehand, I wanted the win, obviously!, but thought we could win it too, given the form we are in. When we went 2-1 up at HT, the seeds were set there for the win. For some reason this year, our 2nd half performances have been terrible in an attacking sense. Granted we are containing teams but why are we doing that when Brendan (or Jamie, I can't remember right now) clearly stated last night that he wants us to defend using the ball. Inviting teams on to us is a very dangerous tactic. Is it our fitness is not good enough to keep up pressure for longer than 60 mins?

Few standout individual performances, Mignolet & Srktel were good. Sturridge got the goal & Moses ran well.

What does Aspas do? Jesus Christ I haven't seen a positive piece of play from him in a while now.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #704: Sep 17, 2013 10:24:17 am

Said the same earlier Paul, F***ing ABH all day. Retrospective action was never more justified for a cynical, deliberate foul on Coutinho.
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,342 posts | 3368 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #705: Sep 17, 2013 10:30:27 am
      have to say I'm really concerned about Stevie and Lucas playing together, the team gets too stretched as the game goes on and they simply don't have the legs anymore so we tend to get over run, add to that the amount of space opposing wide players get. having said all that 10 points out of 12 is pretty good. Concerned about the injuries, Couthinho would be a huge lost even taking into account the return of you know who, Sakho did okay but dived in once or twice, expect Toure to play on saturday.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #706: Sep 17, 2013 10:38:41 am
      Bull sh*t? He's crap face it! Take your Liverpool tinted glasses off and see it for what it is he's not got it the end.

Well this post fills me with confidence...

Aspas was sh*te today but to write him off is completely moronic.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #707: Sep 17, 2013 10:44:27 am

Bruised shoulder they think.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #708: Sep 17, 2013 10:52:31 am
      Like many fans, I cannot understand why we are content to sit back in the second half and defend.
      were we defending; running around like headless chickens more like.  Top of the table, move on, next game is crucial, stay at the top.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #709: Sep 17, 2013 10:53:04 am
      I just can't understand how we can be so ying and yang in each match. We dominate play in the 1st half then cling on for dear life in the 2nd half. Either it's instructions from Brendan, mentality with the players or some kind of fitness or physcological issue with the team. I really can't figure it out but it needs to be fixed and fast, otherwise these narrow wins and draws will soon turn into crushing defeats.
      I agree that Aspas seems out of his depth but think he may come good, I think its just a case of aclimatising a bit more to the pace of the premiership, he has skills and pace.
      Moses wil prove to be a fantatic signing, talk about hitting the ground running.
      i thought it was a huge gable starting with Sakho, I don't quite understand the thinking with that and I think it cost us the game. Havign said that I thought he had an ok game and will be a very good player for us.

All in all I still see plenty of positives but we need to sort out this second half malaise and fast!
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #710: Sep 17, 2013 10:53:53 am
      were we defending; running around like headless chickens more like.  Top of the table, move on, next game is crucial, stay at the top.
      its every game though, we go into panic mode in the second half, lose all composure and structure, it's a worry.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,969 posts | 3945 
      Reply #711: Sep 17, 2013 11:09:30 am

Hope so, the way he came off last night it looked dislocated, even thought he had broken his collar bone.
      Always reminds me of a bantam does Philippe, full of spirit, eager for the fight but as fragile as bone china.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,021 posts | 2742 
      Reply #712: Sep 17, 2013 11:12:06 am
      Think the importance of Coutinho really showed after he went off. He was the only one floating around to link up with Sturridge. After he went off, Danny was totally isolated and we just tried to hoof it up in behind them.

If there was ever a half to show how important Suarez is that was it. We desperately need someone else to link up the play and combine with Sturridge.

Quick Reply