Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 16th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W16 D7 L8

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: Swansea v LFC

Mignolet
      21 (14.7%)
      Sakho
      7 (4.9%)
      Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Wisdom
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      42 (29.4%)
      Henderson
      21 (14.7%)
      Gerrard
      1 (0.7%)
      Lucas
      3 (2.1%)
      Sturridge
      22 (15.4%)
      Coutinho
      15 (10.5%)
      Moses
      10 (7%)
      Aspas
      1 (0.7%)
      Toure
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Voting closed: Sep 20, 2013 10:02:01 pm

Swansea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Analysis

Read 36481 times
      RedLFCBlood
      Re: Swansea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Analysis
      Reply #713: Sep 17, 2013 11:19:35 am
      The saving grace is were still top of the league but we need to start turning up for more than one half of football because as teams get fitter and get a bit of form behind them we'll get found wanting.

Hopefully Coutinho will be ok and the return of Suarez will help the lads gain some momentum and confidence.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #714: Sep 17, 2013 11:20:18 am
      Decent result last night no matter what anyone says. Swansea at home are a good side.
      We could & probably should have been out of sight by half time as usual we were not..

We seem to be playing far too deep in every 2nd half this season it can't be intentional surely??

Nobody in their right mind would not have taken 10 from 12 before the season kicked off so
      the negativity is a little hard to understand & the slagging of Aspas is frankly childish at best.

We have some seriously winnable fixtures coming up starting with Southhampton on saturday.
      We then have Sunderland, Palace, Newcastle & West Brom. We can take all the points from
      these fixture especially with Suarez back.

Another 10 from 12 will certainly do me anyway so chins up fella's
      We are still TOP OF THE LEAGUE...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #715: Sep 17, 2013 11:22:00 am
      Coutinho left Swansea last night with his arm in a sling, BR said he was due to have a ''wee'' scan.
      Agger also injured in a freak accident in the gym. while trying to avoid a runaway dumbell.

read more:
      http://www.dailymail.co.uk/sport/football/article-2422967/Philippe-Coutinho-Daniel-Agger-injured-Liverpool.html
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,664 posts | 883 
      Reply #716: Sep 17, 2013 11:22:22 am
      Aspas getting alot of bashing. Granted he was aweful last night but give him some time to settle. Some people are even saying that he will never be good enough after just THREE games.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #717: Sep 17, 2013 11:23:04 am
      think we should give some credit to Swansea they were much better second half and are a very good team.

I think the Southampton game will be one which we can see how good we are because we should dominate and beat them easily at home.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #718: Sep 17, 2013 11:41:41 am
      think we should give some credit to Swansea they were much better second half and are a very good team.

I think the Southampton game will be one which we can see how good we are because we should dominate and beat them easily at home.

Agree entirely, Swansea are a credible threat when allowed to mount a consolidated attack.
      In the first half we pressured them and they were unable to get the impetus to initiate a full blown, composed attacking movement.
      The second half saw us fall back and defend the majority of the time, which Swansea took every advantage of..
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #719: Sep 17, 2013 12:12:01 pm
      Gutted we never took all 3 points, bonus being still top of the table, slightly concerned how we take a lead & invite pressure, need to assert ourselves much more in the 2nd half of games.

Allez la rouge
      • On Trial

• 2 posts |
      Reply #720: Sep 17, 2013 12:48:00 pm
      We lost the two points because are midfield can't do all the graft for 90mins.Henderson is being asked to do two jobs.He has to cover the wide mid role and tuck in to help in the middle.Swansea knew they had a get out ball on the left all night,any time they switched play they had acres and an overlap.Not because anyone was playing badly,the system means we aren't balanced.we are suppose to be playing

4-2-3-1,but we are playing more like 4-3-2-1 .but the 2(coutinho and moses) never come right  coutinho plays middle and left moses plays left.So theres a massive amount of space on our right.
      Aspi
      • Forum Neil Ruddock

• 156 posts |
      Reply #721: Sep 17, 2013 01:16:38 pm
      Gutted we never took all 3 points, bonus being still top of the table, slightly concerned how we take a lead & invite pressure, need to assert ourselves much more in the 2nd half of games.

Agree on the second half comments, although with Moses not fully match fit, Sturridge still not match fit and Coutinho going off injured we lost our out balls as the second half went on which invited the pressure on.  I think once everyone is fully up to match fitness and with Luis back etc we will end up with players like Hendo etc able to come off the bench and keep providing the out balls and energy at points in the game where others are flagging. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #722: Sep 17, 2013 01:18:23 pm
      After sleeping on it heres my thoughts today

1) Williams should be done for that tackle. He was going around all evening trying to be a hard man culminating in that tackle on Coutinho

2) Whether Aspas had played half a game 3 games or 300 games for us that appearance last night is amongst the worst ever seen in a red shirt and it worries me taht some fans see it as being a great fan to defend it

3) Top of the league we may be albeit after only 4 games but we have done the same thing in those 4 games, slept 2nd half. The boss can say it was tactical at Villa and we can say it was teh plan v utd but dont try and tell me our plan for 38 games is to go in at half time leading then do fook all in the 2nd half

4) Midfield. Henderson worked hard with no real end product the other 2 were practically anomynous

5) No focal point. 2nd half we had no player to give the ball to and hold up. Sturridge roams around too much

6) We have a top top keeper

7) Cant see the issue with Sakho. Debut in a new league/country/language. Yes he can improve on aspects of his game, like all players, but the bigger picture looks to be a very good player

4 and 5 can be ironed out but if we dont sort out 3 we will miss a big big opportunity to regain a top 4 spot
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,917 posts | 957 
      Reply #723: Sep 17, 2013 03:18:14 pm

One thing that worries me is the lack of energy between our midfield duo of Gerrard and Lucas.  Too often last night they were split or bypassed very easily by Swansea's midfielders.  They seem to run out of gas in the 2nd half of most games....

After sleeping on it heres my thoughts today

1) Williams should be done for that tackle. He was going around all evening trying to be a hard man culminating in that tackle on Coutinho

2) Whether Aspas had played half a game 3 games or 300 games for us that appearance last night is amongst the worst ever seen in a red shirt and it worries me taht some fans see it as being a great fan to defend it

3) Top of the league we may be albeit after only 4 games but we have done the same thing in those 4 games, slept 2nd half. The boss can say it was tactical at Villa and we can say it was teh plan v utd but dont try and tell me our plan for 38 games is to go in at half time leading then do fook all in the 2nd half

4) Midfield. Henderson worked hard with no real end product the other 2 were practically anomynous

5) No focal point. 2nd half we had no player to give the ball to and hold up. Sturridge roams around too much

6) We have a top top keeper

7) Cant see the issue with Sakho. Debut in a new league/country/language. Yes he can improve on aspects of his game, like all players, but the bigger picture looks to be a very good player

4 and 5 can be ironed out but if we dont sort out 3 we will miss a big big opportunity to regain a top 4 spot

A very good post mate, and spot on.  A few things I would add to it:

-  Moses looks a very good player and an astute acquisition, even if it is only a season long loan. 
      -  Coutinho is the link between our midfield and attack, and he provides that bit of creativity and composure in the middle that players like Hendo/Aspas simply can't match
      -  We are top of the table with our best and most talented player still yet to feature this season.  Suarez will add another dimension to our attack, and he will give us another fast, direct, and creative outlet that will help to keep teams from being able to put us under loads of pressure as we have seen in the 2nd half of all of the games this season.

Honorable mention for young Jonjo.  I loved the lad when he was here, and I felt bad for him after his 2 horrendous mistakes last night.  However, he regained his composure and got a very important assist for his team to grab a point.  I do hope his career takes off from here.  Will always remember him fondly for his telling off of Fergie :)
      brilad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,967 posts | 99 
      Reply #724: Sep 17, 2013 03:21:36 pm
      Why? You could have picked any LFc fan from the crowd and they would have put in a better shift, I've seen enough of him to see he's not good enough to play for Liverpool not nice but true and if you've anything to say to the contrary your obviously delusional!
      not delusional at all just think your talking utter bollocks,he came on the pitch for twenty minutes playing out of position for a team who were well under the cosh for the entire second half especially when coutinho went off and we descended into a shambles,so to attack one player when the entire team(bar hendo who worked his bollocks off skrytl who was excellent and Mingnolet very good.)in the second half were poor is talking utter sh*te.
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #725: Sep 17, 2013 04:25:18 pm
      Could only follow the game on twitter last night as in the USA with work.

Here's a slightly different take on our current situation :-

We have been poor second half in every game so far... but managed to remain undefeated
      Before the season started most people said we would struggle without Suarez ... currently top of the league
      This time last season we had 5 points - currently 10.
      Against the same teams, I think a previous poster said we managed just 2 points (I may have got last statements the wrong way round)

Interestingly saw a bit of ESPN post game coverage, with Shaka Hislop and Stewart Robson giving anaysis...
      A poll they did asking if liverpool were title contenders was 51:49 % saying we were
      (pundits disagreed)
      But when asked if Arsenal were... pundits said yes (on the back of "5 successive wins" - 2 of which were in CL)
      Now, Arsenal are doing OK - but dont think they are playing massively better than us...

Anyway - we are still top of the league, got the monkey of our back of the game after winning the Mgr of the month award, and have 5 days now to prep for a nice 3pm Home game on Saturday. Win that, and we are 3 points closer to our goals for the season - and it is the last game of the Suarez ban

So - all in all - in a far better position than most could have expected right now
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #726: Sep 17, 2013 05:55:18 pm
      Firstly, fantastic game last night. Though I'd have enjoyed it a hell of a lot more if I were a neutral.

Thought we played well first half, looked very sharp. Controlled the tempo of the game until the end of the half. Obviously we only really created one or two great chances (Sturridge header comes to mind) and had Jonjo partly to thank for both of our goals- taking nothing away from the excellent anticipation of Sturridge or driving run and super finish by Moses.

Second half was poor from our point of view however. Coutinho going off affected us a lot, we never threatened on the counter once he was withdrawn. Mignolet had little option with regards to distribution because they pressed us very well and our outlets were Aspas and a half-fit Sturridge.

You can never be too happy with a draw when you led the game but in the context of things- no Johnson or Suarez, Coutinho missing much of the second period and a tough away game at a side who won a cup last season and finished 9th despite barely trying in the league after their cup win- we've got to take it. Especially as they penned us in for much of the second half, so to come out of it having remained unbeaten and going to the top of the league is very positive, especially having played poorly for 45 minutes ourselves.

I'm not worried by the trend of good first half, bad second half yet. Yes it's happened in our last three games and for the first time last night it cost us a couple of points, but think back to the last three or four seasons where we'd lose games like this and you've got to be happy we're still getting points. I also think it may be partly down to fitness. Lucas is getting fitter with every passing game, Gerrard took a while to get going last season so naturally those two are going to drop off a bit. Then there is Sturridge who hasn't been close to 100% fit on one occasion this season, yet continues to score goals. It's at the stage now that, whenever he is on the ball, you expect something to come of it. Much like with Suarez. That can only bode well for the future.

Wisdom was poor on the ball but his defensive work was sound as usual. In home games especially we should stick someone more attacking there until Johnson is back from injury, I'd honestly be tempted to play McLaughlin at home to Crystal Palace. Toure should perhaps start there against Southampton on Saturday, as they don't play with much width, instead opting for three natural centre forwards in their team. Skrtel was excellent, Man of the Match for me. Incredible tackle by him on Bony first-half. Sakho shaky at times but it was his debut, he doesn't speak the language yet, so I'm giving him a few months before even thinking of criticising him. He had some good defensive moments too. Moses very impressive until he ran out of steam, which again- going back to the fitness issue- is to be expected given his lack of football this season. Aspas woeful once he came on; it's early days and again, I don't want to judge him for the same reasons as Sakho gets my time. But I reckon Aspas is the type of player who will do well when we are at home, or dominating teams (see first hour against Stoke on the opening day) but in games like last night's he just fails to have much of an impact.

Anyway; 10 points from four games, two of which could be put in the 'tough' and 'very tough' categories. All that without Suarez, and the fitness issues documented above which should sort themselves out over time. The football may not be pretty yet but I'm sure that will come with some more winnable games upcoming.

Top of the league :)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #727: Sep 17, 2013 06:09:06 pm
      If you split the league into 4 quarters of quality,  would Swansea fit into the teams 5th-10th? Is a point away a poor result?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #728: Sep 17, 2013 06:19:03 pm
      If you split the league into 4 quarters of quality,  would Swansea fit into the teams 5th-10th? Is a point away a poor result?

Personally a point away to Swansea is a good result although that doesn't take the fact that I'm still disappointed by the result yesterday.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #729: Sep 17, 2013 06:24:55 pm

Are the quarters inclusive? In that case, the quarter you refer to would be 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th. That makes six positions, but there aren't 24 teams in the league. Far better to split the league up into teams which could potentially win the title, before dividing that derivative by the number of teams which could realistically be in contention for going down. By my reckoning, that would be 3/10 or .33333 if we look at it in a decimal sense. It only seems fair at this point to include teams who cannot win it, but cannot get relegated either. By my reckoning, there's five of those or even more curiously, 1/4 of the total number in the league.

Where does all that leave us? F*ck knows.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #730: Sep 17, 2013 06:36:52 pm
      Are the quarters inclusive? In that case, the quarter you refer to would be 5th, 6th, 7th, 8th, 9th and 10th. That makes six positions, but there aren't 24 teams in the league. Far better to split the league up into teams which could potentially win the title, before dividing that derivative by the number of teams which could realistically be in contention for going down. By my reckoning, that would be 3/10 or .33333 if we look at it in a decimal sense. It only seems fair at this point to include teams who cannot win it, but cannot get relegated either. By my reckoning, there's five of those or even more curiously, 1/4 of the total number in the league.

Where does all that leave us? F*ck knows.
      there is probably 1-6. 7-10. 11-15. 16-20. I would say Swansea are between 7-10 and us, 1-6. I just wonder if yesterday was a good or bad result for us? or maybe acceptable?
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #731: Sep 17, 2013 06:41:53 pm
      there is probably 1-6. 7-10. 11-15. 16-20. I would say Swansea are between 7-10 and us, 1-6. I just wonder if yesterday was a good or bad result for us? or maybe acceptable?

Interesting that your "quarters" still aren't exact quarters though. I think given that, my answer as to whether or not it was a good or bad result for us is that it depends which way you look at it. If Swansea are in the 7-10 fifth, and we are in the 1-6 three tenths, I think it has to go down as a point gained (particularly as largely that's what it was). Before I could make a definitive judgement though, I'd need to know how you're dividing up the other ten teams. Are we going 11-15, then 16-20, or is it the 11-20 section or something else?
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,059 posts | 2745 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #732: Sep 17, 2013 06:55:18 pm
      A point was pleasing to a lot of people before the game.

At 2 1 were comfortable and on course for a valuable 3 points

At full time were happy to have hung on for a point

And that's why its not a pleasing point for me. We stopped playing almost holding out for the draw. Had we kept playing and created a few chances then you might say good point.

I really cant figure out the drop off in our level from 1st half to 2nd
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #733: Sep 17, 2013 06:56:03 pm
      If we lose the title or fail to qualify for the CL by one point we will look back on this game as one we could and should have won. If however we win the league or qualify for the CL by one point we will look back on this game as a point won.

I can't say I am not disappointed we dropped two points after being in front, but at the moment it looks like a point won..... because we could have easily lost all 3 points.

I think we have played on our luck a little so far this season with our second half performances, we really need to sort the problem out. I just wonder if the players and especially Gerrard and Lucas are being asked to do too much running in this system, and can't keep it up for 90 minutes. Hopefully once Suarez is back he will help to solve whatever the problem is.   
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #734: Sep 17, 2013 06:56:30 pm
      as it took us back to the top of the league it was a very good point
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #735: Sep 17, 2013 07:02:20 pm
      We just got to forget about the game and make sure we beat Southampton.  Southampton aren't as good as Swansea and it will be a home game. After that Suarez will give the team a lift when he returns. We are still unbeaten.  Only other unbeaten team being Everton.

Quick Reply