Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: Swansea v LFC

Mignolet
      21 (14.7%)
      Sakho
      7 (4.9%)
      Enrique
      0 (0%)
      Wisdom
      0 (0%)
      Skrtel
      42 (29.4%)
      Henderson
      21 (14.7%)
      Gerrard
      1 (0.7%)
      Lucas
      3 (2.1%)
      Sturridge
      22 (15.4%)
      Coutinho
      15 (10.5%)
      Moses
      10 (7%)
      Aspas
      1 (0.7%)
      Toure
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 140

Voting closed: Sep 20, 2013 10:02:01 pm

Swansea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Analysis

Read 36685 times
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Re: Swansea 2-2 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Analysis
      Reply #667: Sep 16, 2013 11:13:25 pm
      These second half's are killing me!!!!

Positives tonight was the result as for me it's certainly a point gained on the full 90 minutes, even through my red tinted glasses Swansea probably deserved to take the spoils. I thought after going behind so early we showed great character, and were worthy leaders going into the break.

Onwards and upwards reds, there were big negatives out there for me (mainly in the second half). But at the end of the day we're still top of the league, and lets hope BR and his team iron out these problems as we've put ourselves in a excellent starting position.

Southampton on Saturday managed to sort my ticket out so lets keep the red machine rolling, and be that twelfth man to help the lads on to greatness.

YNWA
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #668: Sep 16, 2013 11:14:11 pm
      Ring piece? MUG? Shouldn't you be in bed little man? Lucas came with pedigree this blokes no spring chicken he won't be given time he will be a last resort because he simply ain't good enough now go bye bye sausage !
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #669: Sep 16, 2013 11:14:27 pm
      Not when we play with 9 men parked on the edge of our own box it won't

We can play 3-5-2 really well, but I fear for our defence in that formation. We get so panicky at times.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #670: Sep 16, 2013 11:16:27 pm
      Quote from: AZPatriot on Today at 11:07:37 PM22 pages after we defeat the scum, and it took 2 weeks to accomplish that..22 pages here a couple hours after a road draw.

Amazing what comes out of the woodwork when things end up less than perfect.

Out of the woodwork ? you cheeky b***ard.
      We all have our own opinions on the teams performances, good or bad, you don't have the right to slag anyone off just because they have a different opinion to you.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #671: Sep 16, 2013 11:18:50 pm
      I think it is becoming more obvious by the game that we need a top class midfield player. Apart from that I thought our defence struggled to adapt to the introduction of Sakho and Wisdom. We just never looked solid at the back. I certainly don't think Brendan helped with his subs, but I look on it as a point won rather than two points dropped.

I am not sure if Brendan's system asks too much of some of the players and they just can't keep it up for 90 minutes, but the way we let teams dominate us in the second half needs fixing and quickly otherwise we may not be top for long. 
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,343 posts | 1529 
      Reply #672: Sep 16, 2013 11:19:36 pm
      We can play 3-5-2 really well, but I fear for our defence in that formation. We get so panicky at times.

I fully agree with you INERT, but only for the first half  ;D
      SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #673: Sep 16, 2013 11:20:33 pm
      I think it is becoming more obvious by the game that we need a top class midfield player. Apart from that I thought our defence struggled to adapt to the introduction of Sakho and Wisdom. We just never looked solid at the back. I certainly don't think Brendan helped with his subs, but I look on it as a point won rather than two points dropped.

I am not sure if Brendan's system asks too much of some of the players and they just can't keep it up for 90 minutes, but the way we let teams dominate us in the second half needs fixing and quickly otherwise we may not be top for long. 

Very much agree with this ^^
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #674: Sep 16, 2013 11:20:37 pm
      Anyways on the bright side, Jamie got another dig in at Neville tonight! Banter is unreal on MNF.

Jamie Carragher Says "No One Wants To Grow Up & Be A Gary Neville" To Gary Neville
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #675: Sep 16, 2013 11:20:55 pm
      A game we would probably have lost last season.

We didn't and are still top of the league and will be this time next week after we beat Southampton at home.

I'll enjoy it instead of going over a great game of football in minute detail and slaughtering a new player for a poor performance.

SEANOBYRNE78
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 723 posts |
      Reply #676: Sep 16, 2013 11:22:17 pm
      Top of the league YNWA
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #677: Sep 16, 2013 11:27:02 pm
      Anyways on the bright side, Jamie got another dig in at Neville tonight! Banter is unreal on MNF.

Jamie Carragher Says "No One Wants To Grow Up & Be A Gary Neville" To Gary Neville

It was top drawer once again from both of them, "who would wanna grow up to be Gary Neville" he asked! Loved it, they are both excellent. And FairPlay to Neville because I thought he would be awful when he got the job but he is comfortably the best pundit on the box.
      AZPatriot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,944 posts | 1759 
      Reply #678: Sep 16, 2013 11:27:46 pm
      Out of the woodwork ? you cheeky b***ard.
      We all have our own opinions on the teams performances, good or bad, you don't have the right to slag anyone off just because they have a different opinion to you.

Oh i was just referring to those that only post when things don't go right, a lot of them have gone almost a month now without posting but were in within minutes after an away draw.

Sorry Gerns just don't have any respect for people like that, that's just my opinion...and I am entitled to it...:)
      « Last Edit: Sep 16, 2013 11:42:23 pm by AZPatriot »
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #679: Sep 16, 2013 11:29:20 pm
      Oh i was just referring to those that only post when things don't go right, a lot of them have gone almost a month now without posting but were in with minutes after an away draw.

Sorry Gerns that is just my opinion...and I am entitled to it...:)

Not so much an opinion as a well-observed and oft recorded phenomena.  ;)
      PaulKG
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 597 posts | 20 
      Reply #680: Sep 17, 2013 12:00:32 am
      Just got in so had a bit of time to think about it. Always have the feeling that when youve been winning a game and turns out as a draw that it will always feel like a defeat. But everyone knew Swansea away isnt the easiest of games, wouldnt say I would have taken a draw pre-game but certainly not overly dissapointed with the result, but think our performance (particularly 2nd half) was lacklustre.  Wisdom had an absolute shocker, proves that we dont have much quality at RB (although good young depth). Sakho had a shocker 1st half but definitely picked his game up. Think when Aspas + Sterling, although its difficult to judge substitutes, were very poor when they came on. Skrtel had a blinder and was MOTM for me, and judging by the poll the majority of people agree, Moses was also class! Really think if we had Suarez in that team we would have won quite comfortably.

But hey, before the season if we were offered 10 points from opening 4 games which left us unbeaten and top of the league, all of us would have bit Ivanovic's arm off for that, pick up our game against Southampton and we SHOULD easily take the 3 points. Onwards and upwards reds!
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #681: Sep 17, 2013 12:05:03 am
      Story of our season so far really, great in the first half but sh*t in the second. I don't think it's complacency, just a lack of urgency to kill a game off which is very disappointing as a fan. When we take a lead we tend to sit back and hold on, not get another and kill the game. It's like Jamie said, very unlike Brendan's philosophy, we sit very deep once we take a lead. Also I think we lack creativity without Coutinho. When he went off we looked flat and I didn't really see a spark. The only player that can create something is Gerrard with his range of passing.

The way the game panned out, I was content with the draw because Swansea edged it towards the end of the game. But coming into the game, a draw would have been disappointing, so mixed emotions really. More happy because at least we didn't lose, showed a lot of character to dig deep when they were knocking on the door late in the game, we saw it out and gained a point. Not too bad a result.

Mignolet - made some solid saves, good punches and aerial ability as well tonight. Maybe could've done better with the goals, got a hand to each goal, probably a bit harsh though.

Wisdom - still too inexperienced for me, can't wait for Kelly to return. Just found wanting at times and doesn't offer much going forward either.

Skrtel - my MOTM, handled the aerial presence of Bony and Michu very well. Unlucky with the first goal and poor positioning by Sakho left Skrtel in the sh*t for the second with two players to deal with. Other than that, another solid performance. Great goal saving tackle on Bony too.

Sakho - poor debut unfortunately, just couldn't settle in to the pace of the game. Looked slower than I thought he'd be too. But it's only one game, not a worry at all for me, tough game to come in to and I think he'll come good. He's good on the deck though, made some quality sliding challenges.

Enrique - didn't really do a lot wrong, but he didn't offer a lot going forward either. Quiet game.

Gerrard - good first half, poor second half. Unlike the skipper, was chasing their midfield for most parts of the second half when we should have built and seen out our 2-1 lead. Just couldn't control the midfield like he normally does.

Lucas - similar to Gerrard, didn't impose himself on the game enough. We were leading at half time, they should have come out and bossed the midfield but he was chasing most parts of the second half.

Henderson - plenty of running as usual and always looking to make something happen. But we were on the back foot so he had to get back and help for most parts.

Coutinho - Always looks a threat for me, lively in the first half with some neat touches and turns, always looking for the ball too. Hope he isn't injured for long, Williams is a c**t as well may I add.

Moses - decent debut, took his goal well and some good link up play with Danny and Coutinho. Looked lively on the left cutting in, maybe just needs to pick his head up a bit more when picking out his options around him. All in all, an encouraging debut.

Sturridge - Looked quality again, always alive and causing problems for their defence. He says he's unfit, can't wait 'til he's match fit then I tell ya! Another good goal, shows his awareness and his poacher like finishing ability, impressive.

Toure - Preferred him at RB over Wisdom, I think his experience was needed when Swansea had just scored and felt more comfortable knowing Toure was on the pitch. Did a job, got us a point by helping defend.

Sterling - Didn't really do much, think he was bought on just to counter attack as Swansea were looking for the winner.

Aspas - Didn't offer much when he came on, I still think his positioning is poor and for a striker, he's never in the box. Early days though, still finding his feet. If he doesn't play up front when he plays, then you have to question Brendan really for signing a striker and playing him on the wings/no.10 role.

To conclude, it's not the end of the world, maybe we needed a knock back down to earth because we were never going to win every game. But I'm happy because:

1) We're top of the league!
      2) We didn't lose
      3) We showed character to hold on to a point, maybe last season we would've have buckled and conceded again.
      4) We scored more than one goal, albeit one was gifted, the other was taken very well by Moses.

Next week is massive, I don't care if it's early but it's a must win game. I'm pretty old fashioned, I believe we need to win every home then pick up points where we can away from home. That's why today isn't a bad result, a good point at a tough away stadium in a toughly fought contest. But home games are must win, every single home game regardless of the opposition. Southampton at home is a must win, absolutely no excuses whatsoever.

We're still top of the league though Reds, P4 W3 D1 L0, still cause for optimism in my eyes, well on the way to achieving our targets this season. And to think we still haven't really played a full game greatly, and have one of the best players in the world to return. Looking good!!
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #682: Sep 17, 2013 12:14:44 am
      In the second half we where as poor as I've ever seen Liverpool play but two things stand out after the last four matches and they're both something Brendan Rodgers needs to fix before our next game or we're going to get wholloped. First is the defence. It was a complete shambles today. Both Sakho and Wisdom where shocking. I know one is young and the other isn't used to the English game but BR made a selection mistake not pairing Toure up with Skrtel today.

The second is something we've now seen in all four games this season. A game of two halves. It's fine to cling on to a lead if you win because people don't care and generally forget over time but we cannot be playing the second half of matches and squandering possession so easily. 30% possession in the second half was troubling and lead to the constant attacks by Swansea. I do not know what planet Mignolet is practising on but as good a keeper as he is, he's no Pepe Reina when it comes to kicking the ball out of goal and almost every single time it went straight to one of their men. What happened to the possession football philosophy of Rodgers? If we give Utd 70% possession in the League Cup we can kiss that goodbye.

Happy to be top of the table still but there's distinct frailties in our play that need fixing before we play another league game.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #683: Sep 17, 2013 12:49:43 am
      My two cents on the game? Bang average. In the context of the match we did well to leave Swansea with one point. Unlike Villa and Manchester United, we weren't in any way composed or well positioned for that second half and in reality we were lucky not to concede two in those 45 minutes. The first half we more or less matched them and deserved to go in at 2-1. Contrary to what possession football says, you can control the game on a defensive front. We did that against Villa and United. We didn't do that against Swansea tonight which was disappointing and we've got to impose ourselves much better against Southampton on Saturday. At the end of the day though, taking a point away from the Liberty is no disaster at all and we did well to get back to 1-1 so quickly and very well to lead the game at half time. This indicates a mentality that is overall pretty strong. We're still unbeaten since mid March and it at times it was looking like that run would come to a halt tonight. But it didn't. We posted a point to our tally, 10 points from 12, and reclaimed top spot, STILL refusing to entertain the company of a loss. That's a testament to the battling qualities of our team that has been instilled within the squad in this calendar year.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #684: Sep 17, 2013 01:05:14 am
      It's all about results at the end of the day. We all want to see nice football, but we prefer to see good results.  Top of the league tonight so happy with that.

The tactic of going a goal ahead and then defending far too deeply obviously needs to drastically improve. When we get a goal up there needs to be a solid a tactical plan to counter attack incisively. To do that takes courage because the instinct of a team lacking self belief is to sit back and hold what you have. Top teams are more dangerous when they're ahead because they exploit the space and have the confidence to increase their lead. At present we behave like we're shocked to get ahead and end up camping out in our own half.

But four games in we're top of the table and  that's the start we wanted. Aspas has been the biggest disappointment for me. Not alone is he incredibly weak and lacking pace, but his technique doesn't seem great for a Spaniard.  He needs to be told to try harder and be braver because after he came on tonight we were essentially down to ten men he was so poor. 
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #685: Sep 17, 2013 01:15:33 am
      Same old! Second half just fell apart, especially after Coutinho left. The connection between midfield and attack was gone. I think the substitution wasn't the best. Should've put Aspas wide and Henderson in the hole. Or even better, bring on Sterling right away and move Moses to the right. Doesn't look like Aspas is gonna cut it. Sorry!
      alex1995
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,186 posts | 165 
      Reply #686: Sep 17, 2013 04:55:02 am

I disagree completely Sakho was good, he just mmissed two tackles in the game and the frence commentator said it wouldn't be serious in the french league. skrtel was great too and calm. I agree that our  defense was not as good as usual but the 2 CBs were great IMO, Sakho just needs to learn that he must stay on his feet as long as he can.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #687: Sep 17, 2013 05:03:39 am
      Can't believe some of the discussion in here, you'd have thought there we're 11 Aspas's on the pitch in Red the way some of you old women are going on.

He played 20 minutes and is coming in for the brunt of the criticism.  ??? Things certainly changed when Coutinho came off but by that time we couldn't get Sturridge or Moses back into the game because for the 4th game in a row we'd pretty much decided to shut up shop. We should have carried on and bossed that but as I said Coutinho's departure did disrupt that and Aspas granted, isn't Coutinho. We need to go at teams more in the second half and kill them off before trying to close out a game, had we have done this tonight I reckon we'd have quite easily taken all three points.

Content with the draw though, still unbeaten and top of the league  :kop5cf8koxp6:

3 pts against Southampton is a must now (for me).

p.s. Nice goal from Studge and I just loved the way Moses parted that defense for his goal  ;) ;D (been dying to say that)
      Vicks86
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,635 posts | 273 
      Reply #688: Sep 17, 2013 05:17:48 am
      The second half was a prime reason why we should have gone after an attacking mid who could dovetail with Coutinho. Once our little samba man was off, there was literally no link between the midfield and the forward line, something BR himself said and thats quite embarrassing. Not sure why we resisted on Eriksen, Ben Arfa or other rumors.

Can we address this with a 18-yr old Will Hughes? I dont know. But seems like we already know where we must improve and what to target in the January window. Hopefully, we maintain this gut and determination, and don't run out of steam.
      BKLFC
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 822 posts |
      Reply #689: Sep 17, 2013 06:21:58 am
      On the balance of the match a draw was a fair result. Should have lost this game had it not been for my motm Jonjo. Excruciating pain watching that 2nd half :(

Quick Reply