Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool 0-1 Southampton; In game and Post Match disappointment

Read 29896 times
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Re: Liverpool vs Southampton, Live Game Thread
      Reply #529: Sep 21, 2013 09:26:55 pm
      Agree Bigears.
      Again, not overreacting but feel Sterling would be best served having gone out on loan.
      Has to learn his trade away from the pressure cooker.
      bigears
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #530: Sep 21, 2013 09:34:43 pm
      Agree Bigears.
      Again, not overreacting but feel Sterling would be best served having gone out on loan.
      Has to learn his trade away from the pressure cooker.
      I think that Ibe is a better prospect than him and a better attitude as well .
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #531: Sep 21, 2013 09:40:32 pm
      I think that Ibe is a better prospect than him and a better attitude as well .

Agree i think he is better BUT a 17/18 year old really shouldn't be an option FOR US at this point.
      Sure BR is very aware of this but equally well wants to show that he embraces the youth and our academy but feel both would be better served as a bonus rather than a viable option.
      Again, don't want to appear to over react....just that i have time on my hands to post when normally i don't.
      Gongfarmer
      • Forum Phil Babb

• 173 posts | 19 
      Reply #532: Sep 21, 2013 10:00:51 pm
      Not over reacting here either but as the wife is watching Through the keyhole with the thoroughly unfunny Keith Lemon I thought i would add my bit...

The manager has made some astute signings so far Sturridge, Mignolet and Coutinio. He has also purchased some stinkers, but the difference for me is that the is prepared to move them on quickly, rather than letting pride get in the way. Remember how he spoke about Jonjo in that bloody program, like he was our savior. No emotion , he is gone now.

I do think we have the right manager but he may have underestimated our midfield strength at this point. This cant be rectified until Jan.

Either way we are in a better place than two years ago...
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #533: Sep 21, 2013 10:03:07 pm
      Agree i think he is better BUT a 17/18 year old really shouldn't be an option FOR US at this point.
      Sure BR is very aware of this but equally well wants to show that he embraces the youth and our academy but feel both would be better served as a bonus rather than a viable option.
      Again, don't want to appear to over react....just that i have time on my hands to post when normally i don't.

Points made, but given our lack of strength in depth, Sterling is all we've really got. He is young and on cheap wages.

Too many people quick to criticise him. Since when has an 18 year old been the finished article? Most 18 year olds couldn't get a sniff of first team football.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #534: Sep 21, 2013 10:06:52 pm
      Points made, but given our lack of strength in depth, Sterling is all we've really got. He is young and on cheap wages.

Too many people quick to criticise him. Since when has an 18 year old been the finished article? Most 18 year olds couldn't get a sniff of first team football.

That's exactly my point.
      I am not overtly criticizing Sterling it's just that he has far too much expectation upon him when he really needs to learn his trade.
      Not many 18 year olds are ready to contribute and are able to handle the pressure.
      I just don't want to see a player with some potential being burnt out or more accurately having too much pressure and focus when they clearly don't have enough experience.
      He shouldn't be a viable option but more a bonus in a game already won.
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,129 posts | 127 
      Reply #535: Sep 21, 2013 10:21:52 pm

Just a question, but do you honestly think he will all of a sudden will obtain 'vision' or awareness of whats going on around him?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,751 posts | 6722 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #536: Sep 21, 2013 10:48:05 pm
      The way Southampton played, chasing, harrassing, pressuring us and just getting up in our faces for the FULL 90 minutes is the way we have to play every game if we seriously want to consider ourselves as Title contenders or even just Top 4 aspirants. Was embarrassing watching them do that to us.

F**k, I still can't believe that result. Have had 3.5 hours sleep before work, staying up to watch that crap.
      vulcan_red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,580 posts | 212 
      Reply #537: Sep 21, 2013 10:55:35 pm
      I think we need Toure, Sakho, Coutinho, Lucas, Suarez playing. These guys seem to want to win. That is what we lack. We need players who want it. I hope Kelly is in that group.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #538: Sep 21, 2013 11:09:39 pm
      Just seen the goal on MOTD.

A shambles from beginning to end that was.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #539: Sep 21, 2013 11:11:00 pm
      As I have not seen the full match yet I will not commenton the result,what I did see was a blatant penalty that we should of got when Sturridge was tripped in the penalty area.Now there could be a reason why the Ref never saw the incident but where the F**k was his linesman.The fact that all 3 officials missed it is not on,I smell a rat. :f_steam:
      DanMann

• 5,755 posts | 883 
      Reply #540: Sep 21, 2013 11:19:41 pm
      I just knew that after Brendan came out and stated that we would fight for our place at the top!!..

..that we'd not be there after this weekend. :(

That's just typical us.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #541: Sep 22, 2013 12:38:08 am
      I am so frustrated with the way we have played today. No heart, no passion , no creativity , no flair .... no F***ing idea.

Thankfully Suarez is back now and he will hopefully supply an abundance of the above.... someone needs to.

I think most of us were worried that without Coutinho we would struggle to find the creativity, I just never expected the players to be totally devoid of any.

Yes we should have had a penalty and maybe Moses could have scored if he had kept a cool head, but over the 90 minutes we got what we deserved.... nothing.

I think Henderson does a great job working hard , but the truth is he hasn't any incisiveness or creativity..... but then that could be said about most of our players today.

Vital points lost, makes the next few games even more important (if that's possible) hopefully we can find a solution soon as otherwise we have already seen the highpoint of our season. 

Very very disappointed.     
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #542: Sep 22, 2013 12:49:01 am
      Well lads, I did warn yous all prior to the game that some of you were seemingly being overly confident, brushing Southampton off as average. They did exactly what I warned- pressed us intelligently and constantly, took control of the midfield battle for large parts and used their aerial advantage to great effect.

Reality check. Swansea (a) and this game were always going to be tough tests, to only come away with one point is frustrating however. That's not to say we deserved anything today, we were lacklustre. A couple of good efforts from Gerrard from free kicks and penalty appeal turned down aside, we didn't create nearly enough. Southampton sensed we were without our two most creative footballers (Suarez and Coutinho) and thus decided to take the game to us in large parts, which was a wise move on their behalf. Pochettino seems to know how to play against all the big teams, by no means do I expect ourselves to be the only top side beaten by Saints this season.

That's not to excuse our own performances though, which was pitiful. Lack of effort and quality on show. I said before the game that Southampton play very narrow, without a natural winger, so we needed to counter that by playing with width. Unfortunately we did not do that. I know we were without Johnson and Cissokho, but Sterling would have been perfect today to supplement Moses on the other wing. And to play four centre-backs, well for me that showed too much respect to Saints. We should have played to our strengths seeing as it was at Anfield against a weaker team. Put them on the backfoot. Instead we handed them the initiative, and I doubt anyone was surprised we conceded from a set piece.

Aspas worryingly w*nk again, got to hope he's still finding his feet, but even if he is it was just abysmal from him. Incredibly weak physically; he can get away with that in Spain but not in this country, where you come up against many stronger players. Don't think anyone else was horrific, although the only players worthy of any credit whatsoever for their performances were Mignolet, Toure, Sakho and Moses in my opinion. All four of whom happen to be new signings. Not sure if that's a good or bad sign, will take it as a good one for the time being, in the hope that players who have been here a while buck their ideas up.

Still, looking to be positive, we have eight more points at this stage than we did last season. We'd had a tougher start last season and played better football despite the lack of results, whereas this time around it's generally been good results mixed in with some dire football (and the odd bit of good). Funny game, football. No doubt I'd take the latter every time though. We also have two very winnable games coming up. I said that Swansea and Southampton would be equally tough, but I expect Sunderland in their current state to be a game we absolutely must win, and then of course we should always be beating Crystal Palace at Anfield. No excuse in the next two games. Particularly with the other bit of good news...

Suarez is back! We may not particularly like the guy anymore but I think we can all appreciate his talent. He is our best player and will help take the burden off of Sturridge. Suarez alone occupies at least two opposition defenders, which should also benefit the likes of Moses, Henderson and Gerrard offensively. With him back in the ranks, we're much more potent all of a sudden and, rather than look to grind out 1-0 wins as we have so far, should be looking to bag a few goals against Sunderland and Palace. Ideally we'll start to play better too.

Still can be seen as a good start to the season lads, chins up. Win at least three of our next four prior to a tough run of fixtures and I'll be a happy fella.
      sore monad
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,020 posts | 528 
      Reply #543: Sep 22, 2013 12:57:40 am
      I don't agree with those blaming a lack of quality in the squad. We have a pretty good squad, certainly good enough to beat southampton at home.
      BR talked after the swansea game about players not being brave enough in possession, and i thought that was true enough. But what kind of message are u sending players about bravery when u are picking 4centre backs against southampton?

Bizzarely, he is quoted in the guardian as saying that the back 4 was all that was available. Dont really understand that with wisdom, kelly and enrique sittin on the bench.
      Enrique has been one of our best players this season so far - he must be a bit baffled to be on the bench while agger, who has been poor in every game is getting picked.

I wouldnt mind too much if he was saying that he was experimenting, and wanted to give sakho some game time etc, but it didnt work out today. But he is complaining about the squad, saying "we have what we have" etc.
      F**k that. He has been backed pretty well in the transfer market, and he picked the team.
      Take responsibility for it and stop blaming your squad.
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #544: Sep 22, 2013 01:19:00 am
      Still can be seen as a good start to the season lads, chins up. Win at least three of our next four prior to a tough run of fixtures and I'll be a happy fella.

Please get real. We managed to get ahead v stoke, villa, and utd. Recovered from a goal down against Swansea, went ahead then gave them every oportunity to draw level, perhaps even score 3 more. We now lose to Southampton at Anfield, starting with one striker, and 4 centre backs. And people are saying we are looking good, but unlucky.
      FFS we have looked good for 30 mins of 3 matches. The rest of the time we have been woefull,  totally dominated and pretty ewll over run.
      Win 3 of our next 4 ? we haven't created a decent goal for ourselves yet. Sturridge v utd was about the best, the others have been almost gifted.
      I thought we might do a lot better this season, and thought the first three results would have given us a bit of confidence to go on and improve as we went along, lucky as they were.
       We have got gradually worse with each game, and the more Brendan tries to repair things, the worse it seems to get.
      And I assume Suarez is going to lift us to a level we've not reached yet this season sigle handed is he. I don't think so. 
       Any one who puts this performance down to the loss of coutinho alone is derranged. We are once again looking like a mid table side, and the next 4 games will support that.
      Get used to the idea that unless Brendan makes some major tactical changes, we will achieve nothing more han last season.
      In 55 years I cant remember being more dissheartened with the way we are playing. So rigid a game plan, such negative tactics, rigidly sticking to orders to keep passing it around your own box. Don't we have any personalities on the field to say, hey this aint working, lets change it.
       Every manager in the prem will be telling their players to press press press, they cant cope with the pressure, and they dont have an out ball because they've only got one player totally isolated up front, and a mid field that will drop back in front of the back 4.  We are sitting ducks, home or away.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #545: Sep 22, 2013 01:24:45 am
      I can forgive losing at home to a weaker team if I see that the players have given everything. Today was just so bad im still very angry about it. Iv said it a few times now that Gerrard needs to be replaced. I just dont see him being an Alonso type player. Dont know why it is. I mean he has all the attributes. Lucas gives the team nothing anymore. Midfield is a huge problem for us. With all the money spent over the summer and we are now struggling. Couthino is now a massive player for us but are we that sh*te that we are relying on a 21 year old to make us competitive. A real shambles today.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #546: Sep 22, 2013 01:32:41 am
      l agree we team that go beat man utd on wednesday , then lose sunderland away next sunday, that be problem for us down years, we have good team, not good enough for cleague again,
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #547: Sep 22, 2013 01:36:09 am
      that area we got change next summer attacking midfield and defence midfield as well, luis go other forward and top winger
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #548: Sep 22, 2013 01:41:59 am
      We're simply void of ideas at the final third, we missed Coutinho badly as what everyone said here. Been saying it for a long while what we did and what happened at the final third is all random. We passed the ball at the halfway mark as if it was like a pinball game and once the ball reaches the final third what happened after that is all random and it's pretty embarassing.

We simply attacked without a purpose and hoped for the best and this is totally unacceptable. Positioning and movement of players inside the box is none and in total disarray and totally ineffective. When a Moses or Sterling got the ball and it's a sure bet that we ain't going to score because we had bodies at the wrong positions strolling away instead of attacking the front post or down the middle. Defenders just need to keep us quiet at the far post and no determination to run around the box or to the near post to receive a pass.

One very glaring point is players don't read the game well like what our great players of the all conquring years do. We did not do too many extraordinary things abck then but we did the simple and effective things. And it could boils down to 3 reasons  :-

1.  Our players simply do not have the vision or too lazy to move into scoring positions in the box and hoped that a Moses or Sterling will score all by themselves.
      2.  We're working on a very rigid system where players are not supposed to move out of their respective play zone
      3.  A clear lacked of tactical approach by the coaches inside the box to create openings.

I hate to say this, but a quick comparison of Arsenal's tactics and us is like a Bugatti and and old locomotive chugging away.  Took us ages to get out of our own half and by the time we did so the opposition already re-organise their defense. While Arsenal players positioned themselves well and moved swiftly into the opposition box to create the openings and passes were accurately executed and we are the opposite, it's either a yard short or overhit. Could it be lacked of match practice or understanding between players or the quality of the players we have. Is our players any inferior than Arsenal? I don't think so, I strongly believe it's the rigid tactics we're working on.

How I missed the good old days where we did the simple things, read the movement of your colleagues well, move into position to receive a pass to create that opening inside the box and shoot at sight and we were scoring for fun. And there were no superstarts in those teams of yesteryears.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #549: Sep 22, 2013 03:32:16 am
       After watching the match it saddens me to see a Liverpool team so devoid of ideas,we had no formation whatsoever.To me our goalie saved us from a real hiding.Hope Brendan can get the lads playing for each other and as a teamAlso I would like to see our REDS move when they pass the ball,not just stand still.
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #550: Sep 22, 2013 04:22:17 am
      Second best again to Southampton.

I think their manager has got a number on Rodgers, they pressed us like we're suppose to press them. Leaving Mignolet to knock it long to our forward players and inevitably lose out on aerial challenges and most 50/50's.

That was a truly appalling performance. Coutinho out disrupts our play but on top of that Rodgers disrupts our style even more by shoehorning Sakho in at left back. Is this a case of justifying the Frenchman but not having the balls to drop Agger? I think so. I cannot see any reason why Enrique started on the bench - mind you his performance when he came on was awful but by that time we were already disjointed and devoid of ideas and fluidity. When a player like Coutinho is out, you shouldn't compound the problem by taking away a full back who will provide width and will attack more so than a CB will playing in that position. Sahko didn't look comfortable there at all.

Midfield, well, my reservations about them are unfortunately unfolding before my eyes, we needed to buy a powerhouse of some sort in the summer and now this position has been overlooked we don't have depth of quality there and look very poor. Gerrard, Henderson and Lucas were all gnash, especially the captain. We'll struggle if Rodgers doesn't address this and he really hasn't got the squad depth to turn such a flat midfield into a strong one.
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #551: Sep 22, 2013 05:06:44 am
      UUGGHH!!!  I dont know. I dont know.  Its a repeat of the same sh*t that has plagued us the last 3 seasons.  Good wins against good teams, poor losses against poor teams.  I didn't see any passion or spirit today. We could of really made a statement today and put ourselves at top

Quick Reply