Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool 0-1 Southampton; In game and Post Match disappointment

Read 29897 times
      el batez
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,795 posts | 189 
      • everyones friend.enemies none.
      Re: Liverpool vs Southampton, Live Game Thread
      Reply #552: Sep 22, 2013 05:59:31 am
      One Word....DIRE!
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 351 posts | 21 
      Reply #553: Sep 22, 2013 09:07:35 am
      I wish we would just go out and F***ing demolish a team once, play with some intent and incision and dominate. We are so far from that its not even but funny but Suarez is back so there is some hope.

Really wanted to see Coutinho, Sturridge, and Luis play together but of course that b***ard from swansea had to put him out of contention for a month. Sturridge is selfish and cant pass but hey he can score if hes given a chance and with luis drawing defenders like moths to a flame he will get plenty of chances. Tired of this walk with the ball for 5-6 touches and get pressed and somehow lose it before getting into a good position. Where the F**k is our pressing?! I thought we were supposed to play possession football yet we get dominated.
      RobieSlick
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,758 posts | 259 
      Reply #554: Sep 22, 2013 10:37:25 am
      We're going to need to take a fairly radical look at things as they stand I think. Mignolet has been a huge plus, Sturridge obviously plays but apart from that there are no guarantees.

Starting at right back, all those people who slag off Glen Johnson every week must surely be able to see now that we are a much worse team when he isn't in it? If they can't, they are either blind or so caught up in dislike for the player that they are out of touch with reality. The question is though, who do we play there for now? Me, I'd leave Kolo there, he did well today. If not and if we haven't loaned him out, John Flanaghan.

Centre halves? For me this is a no brainer. Currently our best two central defenders are Skrtel and Sakho. They are our best two, so pick em.

Left back? Enrique was as bad today as any Liverpool player I've ever seen and is apparently injured in any case. In that case until we have a viable option I'd pick Lloris. Apparently he's left footed and worth 7 million quid as well being like sh!t off a shiny shovel. Lets shove him in on Wednesday.

Central midfield? For me we have to pick either Lucas or Gerrard not both. Neither have the legs anymore, and as such it's an absolute no brainer. Gerrard plays and Lucas goes back to the bench. We cannot carry a carthorse in central midfield any longer. With Gerrard should be Henderson. Yes he's a bit of a lightweight on occasions, but he is a Duracell merchant which is what we need. When he's fit, Joe Allen should play there.

Number 10? Lets go with Luis Alberto. If he's good enough (and he hasn't got to be that good to be better than Aspas was today) then he's old enough.

Up top we pick our three best strikers. Sturridge, Suarez and Moses.

Job done. 

Do you have BR's ear? If so give him a call and let him know your team. It is certainly better than what we have done *whole* of this season.

Yes, we won 1st three games that thru skin of nose. We were sh*t in all the games we have played but lucky to win and a draw.

Gerrard needs to move up not left behind because that is a talent wasted. Rafa Benitez got the best of out of Gerrard. Also, look after Gerrard and perhaps sub him after 65/70 minutes as he is not getting any younger. I would *always* have Gerrard in my team.

BR seriously needs to think about the team selection. Aspas has to come after Alberto.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #555: Sep 22, 2013 10:54:08 am
      4 CB's at home against Southampton? No playmaker in midfield to link defence and attack? No width upfront to create space for our CF? No heart, fight or determination to get a result which keeps us top of the table?
      This was extremely poor by LFC. I blame the players for their attitude/performance, and blame the coach for the poor tactics (or lack thereof).

As said previously, our squad is just a Coutinho/Sturridge injury away from midtable...well its come around much earlier than anticipated. Our only hope for a successful few months is to keep Suarez, Sturridge and Coutinho fit until the Jan transfer window.

With the right tactics and attitude we could still be in the top 6 by January, since this loss now means we will probably be outstide top 4 by the end of the weekend :(
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #556: Sep 22, 2013 11:18:17 am
      Please get real. We managed to get ahead v stoke, villa, and utd. Recovered from a goal down against Swansea, went ahead then gave them every oportunity to draw level, perhaps even score 3 more. We now lose to Southampton at Anfield, starting with one striker, and 4 centre backs. And people are saying we are looking good, but unlucky.

FFS we have looked good for 30 mins of 3 matches. The rest of the time we have been woefull,  totally dominated and pretty ewll over run.
      Win 3 of our next 4 ? we haven't created a decent goal for ourselves yet. Sturridge v utd was about the best, the others have been almost gifted.

I thought we might do a lot better this season, and thought the first three results would have given us a bit of confidence to go on and improve as we went along, lucky as they were. We have got gradually worse with each game, and the more Brendan tries to repair things, the worse it seems to get. And I assume Suarez is going to lift us to a level we've not reached yet this season sigle handed is he. I don't think so. Any one who puts this performance down to the loss of coutinho alone is derranged. We are once again looking like a mid table side, and the next 4 games will support that. Get used to the idea that unless Brendan makes some major tactical changes, we will achieve nothing more than last season. In 55 years I cant remember being more dissheartened with the way we are playing. So rigid a game plan, such negative tactics, rigidly sticking to orders to keep passing it around your own box. Don't we have any personalities on the field to say, hey this aint working, lets change it.

Every manager in the prem will be telling their players to press press press, they cant cope with the pressure, and they dont have an out ball because they've only got one player totally isolated up front, and a mid field that will drop back in front of the back 4.  We are sitting ducks, home or away.
      Gonna sift through that post in sections if you don't mind.

Not sure what the first paragraph is about. I for one haven't said we've been 'unlucky', Southampton were the better team and I even mentioned that it was silly to go in to the game playing four centre backs.

Again, where have I said we haven't been woeful this season? I said in my post this season we have played some dire football. As for our not scoring a single well created goal- what about the excellently crafted one at Villa Park? Or Sturridge finishing superbly following some decent passing against Stoke? Easy to forget stuff like that when you have a vendetta, of course.

Yep, we do seem to have played worse with each passing game. I think you're being a bit daft if you think that it's totally a tactical problem however. Last season when we had Coutinho, Suarez and Sturridge playing together we played some wonderful football, and took many a team apart. Take out one of those and things get harder, but we can still just about grind out results (as shown without Suarez in the first three games). Take out another (Coutinho second half at Swansea and missing today) and it's very difficult for us. Said after the transfer window that we lacked depth up top, so would be reliant on those three more than any other top side are on their three best attacking players, and I stick to that assessment. I do think perhaps the money spent on Aspas and Alberto could have been saved and put on one quality player, while Suso could have stayed because it seems Alberto is playing the same role that Suso did here last season. Suarez' return will undoubtedly increase our performance level though. Daft to think otherwise. Hopefully Rodgers dumps this idea of four centre backs pronto and puts Enrique back at left-back, and we gotta hope Johnson returns soon. Agree we shouldn't pass the ball around so much in our own area; it cost us yesterday. Problem is, we sold our plan B (Carroll) and don't have many players up top who can hold on to the ball if it's thumped up to them. Kind of a catch 22 situation.

Most managers may be telling their team to 'press, press, press' against us, but there's a difference between saying and doing. The likes of Swansea and Southampton are very much pressing teams, who are designed to do that for 90 minutes of a football match as it's part of their game. Other teams don't have the ability to do that, so we shouldn't be worried that all of a sudden every single side presses us compulsively.

Still think it's a positive start. 10/15 points without Suarez is very good, regardless of how they were won. We just need to be lucky and hope there are no more injuries to him or Sturridge, because those two and Coutinho are incredibly key to our attacking play. I'm confident that we beat Sunderland next week and Crystal Palace at home is one we absolutely must win. 16 points from 21 would mark an excellent in terms of results.

For me, last season in the first few months we were playing well but not taking points. So far this season we've generally played poorly but got points. It's about finding the right formula now. We showed in the last three months of 2012/13 that we can play well and win games, so there's no reason to think we're going to suddenly be in a scrap for 8th. Have confidence that Rodgers will turn it around. Many top sides have an early season blip in performances (Man City have looked average, as have Man Utd for the most part), you've just got ensure you get results if you are suffering from it.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,255 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #557: Sep 22, 2013 12:36:47 pm
      Not arsed getting into the nitty gritty. All Ill say is 4 centre backs on the pitch and still we couldn't defend that goal
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Reply #558: Sep 22, 2013 12:49:32 pm
      Just watched the highlights on MotD

It was a catalogue of errors.

1. Toure pressurised into playing the ball back to Skrtel who was very tight on the touchline
      2. Skrtel left the ball run and it ran out of play, he really should have hoofed it away, anything, just deal with it
      3. Under pressure again Toure shins the ball away for a corner
      4. Agger totally loses the flight of the ball and his man
      5. Gerrard, thought he could have done better, he was on the line but seemed to react a second too late

All in all, very careless
      Tadders
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,787 posts | 573 
      Reply #559: Sep 22, 2013 12:50:03 pm
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #560: Sep 22, 2013 12:55:50 pm
      Over the top article

Fact is, those were senior world class experienced defenders out there (all 5 of them), and for the most part, all of them were poor to one degree or another.

4 centre backs should not have that much of a negative affect, as said, all the defenders are experienced enough to cope for 90 minutes - they didn't.

I'm more concerned with our seemingly zero imagination in the final third now Coutinho is out
      « Last Edit: Sep 22, 2013 01:10:38 pm by Rush »
      IrishRed_IO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,483 posts | 343 
      • Formerly InertObject
      Reply #561: Sep 22, 2013 01:11:13 pm
      Hoping that Suarez coming back will fill the void left by Coutinhos absence. He will create his own chances!
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #562: Sep 22, 2013 01:19:38 pm
      Over the top article

Fact is, those were senior world class experienced defenders out there (all 5 of them), and for the most part, all of them were poor to one degree or another.

4 centre backs should not have that much of a negative affect, as said, all the defenders are experienced enough to cope for 90 minutes - they didn't.

I'm more concerned with our seemingly zero imagination in the final third now Coutinho is out

Try to see if there is anything 'interesting' that comes out of Liverpool-Kop.com but quite frankly the standard of articles wouldn't make the school newspaper. That article is laughable in its over analyses for the sake of being overly analytical.
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #563: Sep 22, 2013 01:20:32 pm
      Hodgson-esque setup.
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #564: Sep 22, 2013 02:04:43 pm
      Thinking about it

Toure - Defender
      Sakho - Defender
      Agger - Defender
      Skrtel - Defender
      Lucas - Defensive Midfielder
      Gerrard - Defensive Midfielder
      Enrique - Defender

Not including Enrique who came on as a sub, and including Mignolet, that's 7 out of 11 players who are either defensively minded or are asked to play defensively

Add Aspas who is struggling all over the place, and it shouldn't be a surprise we looked toothless.

At home.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #565: Sep 22, 2013 02:05:47 pm
      I would much rather we used players in their right position than shift everyone round, just to mend and make do.  We had players on the bench not fully fit so they shouldn't be there.

If our 1st choice player isn't available then the 2nd/3rd choice should be brought in, if that means some youngsters get their debut then so be it.  We had Ilori, Kelly, Alberto and Raheem who all played magnificently for the u21's last week, so give them a chance.  I'd much rather be starting with them and have the element of surprise than bring them on expecting them to make an impact and change the game.  That's expecting far too much of inexperienced players.

There's also Dunn, Rossiter, Lussey, DTS, McLaughlin and a few others who would relish the chance to play.  Let the shackles off, never mind letting loose the Cracken, let loose the Prodigies  ;D

Brendan prides himself on developing our young players, yet when the opportunity arose for them to get their chance he chose to rearrange the back 4, reducing our attacking threat and also failed to add some creativity in the midfield when it was already non existent without Phil.  He played safe and it backfired  ???
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #566: Sep 22, 2013 04:34:12 pm
      Didn't know that was our first competitive loss since March 16 at Southampton, ironically enough.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #567: Sep 22, 2013 05:59:56 pm
      We've been dumped out of the top 4. We lost one game and we are out? Damn
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,515 posts | 1507 
      Reply #568: Sep 22, 2013 06:06:19 pm
      I know, pissed me off that. Ok, so we lose one game, F**k me, 5th!?
      YNWAScouser
      • Forum Youth Player

• 13 posts |
      Reply #569: Sep 22, 2013 07:17:19 pm

Yes this is a terrible outcome, but this is what happens when we play the swans and we allow them to score 2 goals to bring the match to an even outcome. Thankfully Jonjo gifted us two goals, otherwise we would more than likely be further down than 5th.

I still think that Liverpool has a solid team, although Aspas for me just isn't cutting it and we also really need to look at attacking midfielders in the next window. The other thing that I didn't care for was the 4 CB's and especially where Toure and Sakho were being played they looked uncomfortable. I agree I was worried that Coutinho being out would hurt us but I didn't realize this badly, Sturridge is still top class and I think Moses brings something different but Sturridge and Coutinho had an awesome connection and it will be interesting to see if we can overcome his loss, and luckily Suarez is coming back. I agree there were some terrible calls but that is every game and hopefully we can comeback after this. To be honest Man U isn't looking great and neither is Everton, a lot of the big boys are struggling except Arsenal and Man City either way we need to step it up.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #570: Sep 22, 2013 07:17:30 pm
      please god we dont lose sunderland next sunday their really sh*t
      GERNS
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,342 posts | 1526 
      Reply #571: Sep 22, 2013 09:24:36 pm
      So, no new injuries from the weekend then!
      Well if Brendan starts with the same line up and tactics, either against the mancs or Sunderland, he needs shafting.
      The last time I witnessed lethargy anywhere close to that on Saturday, was when Woy was coaching route one, and nobody seemed  interested. Hope the players are not losing belief in the boss. That could be terminal.
      Dancho
      • Forum David Johnson

• 231 posts |
      Reply #572: Sep 22, 2013 09:27:24 pm
      Brendan prides himself on developing our young players, yet when the opportunity arose for them to get their chance he chose to rearrange the back 4, reducing our attacking threat and also failed to add some creativity in the midfield when it was already non existent without Phil.  He played safe and it backfired  ???

My thoughts exactly, how are the youngsters expected to earn their place when we change formation just not to play them. Brendan should take most of the blame for this fail.
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #573: Sep 22, 2013 11:42:32 pm
      that was worse see us play in very longtime, play like that again even against weaker teams we be lucky fhish in top 10
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #574: Sep 23, 2013 12:24:05 am
      Rodgers got that wrong but a few players should hang their heads in shame.

What happened to win, lose or draw, a MotM match poll went up?

Quick Reply