Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Liverpool 0-1 Southampton; In game and Post Match disappointment

Read 29898 times
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: Liverpool vs Southampton, Live Game Thread
      Reply #575: Sep 23, 2013 10:17:26 am
      Let's face it lads.

We bottled it big time on Saturday.  Back to our old ways, it was there for the taking and we blew it.

This isn't a pessimistic post (or at least it isn't intended to be)

Sunderland at the weekend is going to be tough, players from their side will be looking to prove a point...
      Maybe they hated Di Canio
      Maybe they want to perform for the fans...

It won't be easy.

How many times in recent years have we gone to a struggling team and been beaten?

A win over the Mancs on Wednesday can change all this doom and gloom.

10 points from 5 games = 2 points a game.

I would of taken that 1 month ago.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6945 
      Re: Liverpool 0-1 Southampton; In game and Post Match disappointment
      Reply #576: Sep 23, 2013 10:59:20 am
      10 points from 5 games = 2 points a game.

I would of taken that 1 month ago.

I said the same myself over the weekend.

But having already picked up 9 points I expected more than 1 point out of 6 against Swansea and Southampton.

Henderson aside, I've been a little disappointed with the energy of our midfield this season.  Swansea and Southampton between them must have had around 30 shots against us.  Both sides have bossed us in the middle of the field.

Let's be fair.  We scraped home both the 1-0's against Man Utd and Stoke - both could easily have been draws.  And we were lucky to hold on for 2-2 at Swansea.  We do not look capable of dealing with pressing opponents.
      bmcg
      • On Trial

• 3 posts |
      Reply #577: Sep 23, 2013 12:32:46 pm
      Next two league games are huge. Win them both and we will be flying again. Lose one and HOLY sh*t the world may end! 
      « Last Edit: Sep 23, 2013 12:45:24 pm by redkenny »
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #578: Sep 23, 2013 01:08:13 pm
      I said the same myself over the weekend.

But having already picked up 9 points I expected more than 1 point out of 6 against Swansea and Southampton.

Henderson aside, I've been a little disappointed with the energy of our midfield this season.  Swansea and Southampton between them must have had around 30 shots against us.  Both sides have bossed us in the middle of the field.

Let's be fair.  We scraped home both the 1-0's against Man Utd and Stoke - both could easily have been draws.  And we were lucky to hold on for 2-2 at Swansea.  We do not look capable of dealing with pressing opponents.

Spot on that.

Totally dishonest performance on Saturday. Southampton deserved the points. Afraid to say that I don't think we've improved from the start of the season, yet steadily declined.

One or two key players get injured and the quality really drops.
      solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,035 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #579: Sep 23, 2013 01:21:36 pm
      Seriously, I'm beginning to think Aspas and Luis Arberto don't really cut it yet. We need stronger players that can get at defenders.

Shelvey should have been sent out on loan; Much like Suso.

But we will bounce back.
      Oldred
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,230 posts | 87 
      Reply #580: Sep 23, 2013 01:31:48 pm
      Haven't seen a performance like that for some time.  We were just going through the motions whereas Southampton were up for it battled hard and deserved the result.

Maybe the return of the beast will stir up the lethargy and get us playing to the quality we did at the end of last season.

I await Wednesday with interest.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #581: Sep 23, 2013 02:26:32 pm
      Haven't seen the game yet as I was away for the weekend but from the sounds of it, we were dire. I heard the team selection and I did think it was sh*t too. Losing games at home like this just shows we still don't have that cutting edge, after such a great start we F**k everything up in 2 games.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #582: Sep 23, 2013 03:27:37 pm
      I took a couple days to post in here, but these are my thoughts on the game:

-  We desperately missed Coutinho, but we are bringing Suarez back into the fold at just the right time.  We lack creativity through the middle without one of these two. 

-  Johnson's absence throws off our balance, and Enrique's omission killed our ability to possess the ball.  Our width is provided by attack minded, overlapping fullbacks.  Without having proper outlets on the flanks, it allowed Southampton to put us under intense pressure and our only outlet was to hit it long to the likes of Sturridge/Moses

-  We have become more of a counter attacking team than a "death by football" team.  I would like to see us get back to possessing the ball more effectively moving forward, especially as Toure/Agger give us a core of ball playing CB's who we can build attacks through. 

-  We are still on 10 points from 5 games without our best player.  No need to hit the panic button yet.  If/when we can get our injury problems cleared up and put our best team on the field (Mig; Johno, Toure, Agger, Enrique; Lucas, Gerrard, Coutinho; Studge, Suarez, Moses), I think we really can beat anyone and will win most of the games we should be winning (like at home to Southampton)
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #583: Sep 23, 2013 07:39:41 pm
      Managed to get a ticket sat next to my Brother(season ticket holder for 25 years) in the main stand..Boss seat !!
      Had a couple o tins on the way up Arkles lane in the sunshine to get the buzz on board..
      Sang you'll never walk alone..
      Had my ear drums busted by the Southampton fans all through the game...in fact they we're singing "Were's the famous atmosphere?" at one point (how embarrasing  :mad:)..and lets face it...there wasn't any..
      Good chin wag with some fellow reds around us at half time.
      Straight in to The Arkles afterwards and sank about 6 pints with a load o lads , jumped a joe baxi about 8 o'clock and it was at that point I realised I'd actually sat through 93 minutes of possibly the worst game I have ever witnessed at Anfield..
      The banter in The Arkles was worth more in entertainment than the price of the ticket I paid...and we had to endure the Chelsea game on the big screen..
      Oh and I took this as Gerrard lined up his free kick...

Wednesday can't come any sooner !!! :f_steam:
      little-Luis:)

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #584: Sep 23, 2013 09:21:20 pm
      We were so bad I don't even want to get into it. Is it even worth scrutinizing performances when we were so poor?

Serious kick up the hole needed, all round from manager, coaches & players.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #585: Sep 23, 2013 11:24:05 pm
      Seriously, I'm beginning to think Aspas and Luis Arberto don't really cut it yet.

I think Aspas criticism can be at least understoos but what the hell has Alberto done to deserve this?

Strange.

Quick Reply