Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

2013/14 Ashes Down Under

Read 44250 times
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Re: 2013/14 Ashes Down Under
      Reply #69: Nov 25, 2013 10:04:07 am
      Great start from Australia - dismal start from England.  Probably the best result to set up a cracking series.

Poor sledging from the Aussies though.  It's one thing giving that kind of verbals to the openers but shows a bit of an inferiority complex doing it to a tail-ender when your about to romp home with the win.  All smacks of a lack of class.

Agreed. The Aussie's (in cricket only IMO) don't know how to win gracefully, expect more thuggery and slurs thrown England's way. They're under the burden of underachieving in comparison to their great sides in their past, they're excess intimidation & thuggery (worked) is a means to justify their desperate ends.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #70: Nov 25, 2013 03:18:24 pm
      I tend to look past the behaviour our team showed when we were copping a lot of sh*t from the British media last series. Warner was hammered by the press, Watson, Johnson, Lyon, all copped a hammering. And three of those four won us this match.

Yeah the words were definitely over the top but meh. It's the Ashes. I wouldn't complain if the shoe was on the other foot.

Warner is a tasteless piece of work.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #71: Nov 25, 2013 04:46:54 pm
      Shocking first Test.

Need to sort it out for the second both with bat and ball.

One thing that is certain is that the review system hasn't come into question so far unlike the Ashes over here during the summer.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,583 posts | 6643 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #72: Nov 25, 2013 11:04:53 pm
      Any of the Aussies over there, what's Melbourne playing like?

Adelaide is a bit slower and lower by the sounds of things..
      Perth will be like Brisbane..
      Sydney will spin more ..

England need to bounce back at Adelaide and if they do it could come down to Melbourne, if they lose it could well be 4-1.

Bell will probably bat 3 which will mean pressure for him

Hi mate, don't know what the rest of the country is looking like but the weather here is beautiful at the moment, should be a typical MCG pitch nice and bouncy with some spin the last couple of takes coming into effect.  I always said on the MCG pitch that a score of around 350 is a good one, anything after that is a bonus.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #73: Nov 25, 2013 11:51:32 pm
      England need to man up,if they cant handle a bit if sledging might as well pack up and get an early flight back home.
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #74: Nov 26, 2013 12:55:27 am
      England need to man up,if they cant handle a bit if sledging might as well pack up and get an early flight back home.

This.

Fellas, it's the Ashes. Someone coming out and saying their opposition were weak is hardly anything to boil over. Warner was the scapegoat of the British press and now he has a ton under his name he gets bombarded by bullshit again.

If we lost and said derogatory things about England we'd be laughed at and the same treatment would be thrown our way that we have been saying about England. It's true because that's what happened a few months ago.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #75: Nov 26, 2013 02:02:11 am
      The best sledge of all time still remains the classic that is Rodney Marsh quoting to Ian Botham 'So how's your wife and my kids'? To which Botham replies 'The wife's fine but the kids are retarded!'
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #76: Nov 26, 2013 04:03:09 am
      Warner hit a kid when he was in England (Root) and was rightly lambasted for it. He made a scapegoat out of himself nobody else did - the weak thug.

This doesn't take away how well the Aussie's played in Brisbane mind, they were very good, it's just a shame they lack the class to win graciously that's all.

Clarke was also fined $3000 for his threatening behaviour towards Anderson.

There is a difference between banter/sledging and coarse/aggressive behaviour and that's where the Aussie's crossed the line.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #77: Nov 26, 2013 06:55:45 am
      Again

No issue with sledging, no issue with Warner

I have an issue with threatening to break a no.11s arm

That's not sledging.

I'd say it was wrong whoever did it.

If you think that's right fair enough, says a lot about you.
      There's a line in life in general

"Get ready for a F***ing broken arm"

That's not sledging.

Cricket it tough.. Cricket is a great sport and a real test, but whoever said that whoever they played for I'd think they were wrong.

Have some imagination, don't just be a pr**k
      « Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 07:00:46 am by Paisleydalglish »
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #78: Nov 26, 2013 10:34:04 am
      This.

Fellas, it's the Ashes. Someone coming out and saying their opposition were weak is hardly anything to boil over. Warner was the scapegoat of the British press and now he has a ton under his name he gets bombarded by bullshit again.

If we lost and said derogatory things about England we'd be laughed at and the same treatment would be thrown our way that we have been saying about England. It's true because that's what happened a few months ago.

John, you ever played indoor cricket?, F**k me the sledging me & my mates would get was unreal.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #79: Nov 26, 2013 10:39:51 am
      John, you ever played indoor cricket?, f**k me the sledging me & my mates would get was unreal.

I've played a lot of cricket and been a fan for 25 years..

These guys should know better.

Don't disagree with you often Shabs mate but do completely on this.

Only really the Broken arms sh*t.. Rest of its fair game
      Bpatel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,902 posts | 158 
      Reply #80: Nov 26, 2013 10:53:45 am
      I quite like Clarke, with the last series he came off a gracious loser in interviews and seemed determined to put things right. Suddenly they win one game and he turns into a gobby little cow (no offence cows). Clearly its something their whole team has looked at and focused on quite a bit, everyone's chirping away, determined to win the war of words.

I can't wait till we shut them up. 3-1 it's going to be.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #81: Nov 26, 2013 11:13:09 am
      I've played a lot of cricket and been a fan for 25 years..

These guys should know better.

Don't disagree with you often Shabs mate but do completely on this.

Only really the Broken arms sh*t.. Rest of its fair game

It's part of the game mate which we rarely see, I'm sure after the series it will be forgotten by the players but not the press.

Lets not forget Body line :D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #82: Nov 26, 2013 11:30:18 am
      It's part of the game mate which we rarely see, I'm sure after the series it will be forgotten by the players but not the press.

Lets not forget Body line :D

Sledging is part of the game yeah but there is a line and for me Clarke crossed it.
      There is a site you can go to with stump mikes extracts on.. Most is funny, not much is threatening actual harm.

I have no issue with sledging but the Clarke stuff went over the line for me.

You can't compare body line to modern cricket, things have been put in place to stop those type of things happening.

There isn't much you can compare in modern life to 50plus years ago.

If we want to go back in time and not have evolution we may as well go back and live in caves.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #83: Nov 26, 2013 12:07:05 pm
      Embarrassing that from Clarke on Jimmy Anderson. Talk about a cheap shot and Dave Warner should concentrate on himself, a player who has got out in poor and weak ways throughout his stop, start, hit and miss career.

Away from the daft antics of the Aussies they are all over us at the minute. Need to win the next one with conditions more in our favour. On the fast and bouncy wickets we have been found wanting.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 20,955 posts | 3334 
      Reply #84: Nov 26, 2013 12:58:40 pm
      What about Jimmy Anderson saying he finds it hard to have a bevvy with the Aussies once the series is over?

Anyway, I don't think Clarke genuinely meant Jimmy was gonna get his arm broke, just that Johnson was bowling so quick and was looking to rough our best bowler up. The best way for Jimmy (and the entire England team for that matter) to answer them is to do things like this

Anderson v Johnson: top sledging

The Aussies are famous for their sledging, it's up to us to shut them up. Give Tremlett the ball, tell him to bowl the fastest bouncer he can at Johnson and tell the mouthy Aussie c**t to expect a broken nose. Then see how F***ing mouthy he gets.

I enjoy a good bit of sledging.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #85: Nov 26, 2013 01:37:50 pm
      Nothing wrong with it as long as it doesn't go too far, but the broken arm thing WAS too far.

Here's how to sledge a tail ender ;)

Freddie Flintoff sledging Tino Best - Mind The Windows
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #86: Nov 26, 2013 05:48:29 pm
      The Breaking arm comment was a bit over the top but I think like DLS said he meant it in regards to Johnsons bowling and not Clarkey clobbering him with a piece of willow.

Apart from that it's a mans game sledging happens, if you don't like it go play some bingo or something.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #87: Nov 26, 2013 07:10:23 pm
      The Breaking arm comment was a bit over the top but I think like DLS said he meant it in regards to Johnsons bowling and not Clarkey clobbering him with a piece of willow.

Apart from that it's a mans game sledging happens, if you don't like it go play some bingo or something.

Yeah he definitely meant it with the bowling.. Doesn't make it right for me though..

I love sledging, I love tough cricket.. But there is a line.

Can't wait for the rest of the series
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #88: Nov 26, 2013 10:40:21 pm
      Find  it difficult for England to come back into the series, think the bowlers can hold  their own, with Anderson, Broad and Swann but with a fragile batting line up, prone to collapses. I fear that the side may struggle in the rest of the series
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #89: Nov 27, 2013 04:33:15 am
      John, you ever played indoor cricket?, F**k me the sledging me & my mates would get was unreal.

I did for a year. That is some intense sh*t. The high fives, the screaming, and the fielders right under your nose telling you all sorts of sh*t.

I got told one day my face was going to be ripped off after I slapped a shot right in to someone's face.

Let's be honest. If this comment was in park cricket no one would give a sh*t.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,420 posts | 4581 
      Reply #90: Nov 27, 2013 10:57:50 am
      I did for a year. That is some intense sh*t. The high fives, the screaming, and the fielders right under your nose telling you all sorts of sh*t.

I got told one day my face was going to be ripped off after I slapped a shot right in to someone's face.

Let's be honest. If this comment was in park cricket no one would give a sh*t.

I remember the Australian indoor team was on tour in the UK & we were participating in the tournament with the likes of Emburey,Gatting,Lamb,Defreitas & the Aussies had a demon bowler who not only sported a moustache like Merv Hughes but F***ing looked like him & bowled just like him, thought it was his twin.

The banter & sledging was unreal but we thrived on it & the Aussie team was out this world with indoor cricket, learned plenty from them especially the strong mentality.

Paisleydalglish
      Reply #91: Nov 27, 2013 11:06:35 am
      I remember the Australian indoor team was on tour in the UK & we were participating in the tournament with the likes of Emburey,Gatting,Lamb,Defreitas & the Aussies had a demon bowler who not only sported a moustache like Merv Hughes but f**king looked like him & bowled just like him, thought it was his twin.

The banter & sledging was unreal but we thrived on it & the Aussie team was out this world with indoor cricket, learned plenty from them especially the strong mentality.

Think you have me wrong on this view point Shabs.

Anyway I hope for a great series, and for the tough cricket to continue

Quick Reply