Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 151222 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #1426: Nov 18, 2014 03:40:25 pm

Swab,  I've read and respected your posting on these boards and for most of the time I've agreed with them.but on this occasion mate, your wrong imo,

Why should Stevie have to change his style of captaincy,  it has carried him thru the seasons good and not so good,
      Stevie has never been the most vocal of leaders he had people like Carra to do that for him,
      We fans can only read of the type of things he does off field in regards to encouraging / mentoring the young lads at lfc, nobody sees the things he does on a day to day basis at melwood etc,

I find it ridiculous that some folk in these pages are so disrespectful after all this lad has given this club, and continues to do so,
      He is at the autumn of his career and of course he's not the player of old, but if Brendan thinks he's worthy of playing who are we to argue,  I do think tho that Brendan needs to play him less and ease in  other players that won't rock the boat too much,
      Stevie can still influence a game even tho he's not as mobile these days, but he still has his brain,  He still has that killer pass in him, and if I'm honest there ain't to many that can,

I hope he signs another contract, I hope that contract is for two years,  I hope we come out of this sticky patch and we can all enjoy the remainder of this living legend's career,  I think next season will be his last imo, I think he'll bow out Carra style,  even if he's only playing for a hour or brought on late in a game,

It will be a sad day when it happens but, when he walks off the Anfield pitch that last time there won't be many dry eyes in the house,

Steven Gerrard = LEGEND - forever

YNWA

You should probably read the full conversation/debate between myself and hardcoresoldier mate.
      The post you quoted was a culmination of various posts stretching back about a week.

I know hardcore made a few good points, especially about Gerrard maybe becoming discouraged by the players he see's around him, and knowing that last season was probably the last throw of the dice as far as a league medal is concerned.

My thinking may be a bit harsh, but I see a player on huge money who is not on form (no problems there, as he's always been a bit of a slow starter), and because he is not playing to the level we (or himself for that matter) would like, then it's crucial he brings something to the team.
      It's right that he used to have others do the shouting for him, but when that disappears, and the team appears rudderless on the field, for me he simply has to offer something else especially as he is the club captain.
      He may not be comfortable doing it, but we need a real leader out there, however he goes about it.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #1427: Nov 18, 2014 06:59:48 pm
      did you forget to engage your single brain cell before posting that.FFS.

Do explain.....
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #1428: Nov 18, 2014 07:06:42 pm
      did you forget to engage your single brain cell before posting that.FFS.

Walton mate.

You are in dialogue with the "Stevie lost us the league in one moment" man.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1429: Nov 18, 2014 10:21:08 pm
      I still don't think many people have sussed how difficult it now is for Stevie.Before he had Daniel,Luis and Raheem moving into space he had a choice of 3 passes now he has one and it is to a statue like Mario.
      I really don't think he is enjoying his football and I think that is showing in his performances he is definitely missing Luis.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1430: Nov 18, 2014 10:22:10 pm

how can I explain you only have half a brain cell.Duh
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #1431: Nov 18, 2014 10:49:01 pm
      how can I explain you only have half a brain cell.Duh

As usual - apart from moaning you don't really have anything to contribute.

Back on topic, Sturridge returning in form is now looking more important for Stevie's future than the team's. This season is his last chance to cement himself a position in one of the top three or so players in our history according to most fans - though personally I would say he would just about make my top five.

If things don't work out with Sturridge it's difficult to know where he could fit for a regular starting place.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #1432: Nov 18, 2014 10:52:50 pm
      As usual - apart from moaning you don't really have anything to contribute.

Back on topic, Sturridge returning in form is now looking more important for Stevie's future than the team's. This season is his last chance to cement himself a position in one of the top three or so players in our history according to most fans - though personally I would say he would just about make my top five.

If things don't work out with Sturridge it's difficult to know where he could fit for a regular starting place.

nobhead Sturridge is injured and out for another 3 weeks or more keep up
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #1433: Nov 18, 2014 11:23:55 pm
      nobhead Sturridge is injured and out for another 3 weeks or more keep up

You missed the point.

With Sturridge out of the team it's difficult to see Gerrard returning enough attacking play to justify his starting place. Whenever Sturridge returns - whether that's tonight or in three months time - it still might not be enough to justify playing Gerrard; only time will tell.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1434: Nov 18, 2014 11:34:24 pm
      You missed the point.

With Sturridge out of the team it's difficult to see Gerrard returning enough attacking play to justify his starting place. Whenever Sturridge returns - whether that's tonight or in three months time - it still might not be enough to justify playing Gerrard; only time will tell.

Agree Hollywood.

Time will tell indeed but for now I'd be inclined to go for a three of Lucas,  Can and one other which would possibly be Coutinho for me with Lallana, Sterling and Borini ahead.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #1435: Nov 18, 2014 11:39:37 pm
      ^

I can see Brendan's hand being forced before too long.

I agree with your line-up. I'd also be doing everything i could to try and get Origi here in January - surely we could throw some money in the direction of the French - if it reignites Gerrard for the second half of the season it would be worth it.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1436: Nov 18, 2014 11:45:54 pm
      if it reignites Gerrard for the second half of the season it would be worth it.

Possibly.

I think Gerrard hasn't played well this season but I also think he is suffering from missing out last season and the lack of Suarez and Sturridge ahead of him to pick out.

Having said that I don't think that is a good enough reason to keep selecting him in the side and if his form continues he shuld be droppped like anyone else. And as I've said before you can add a few others to that as well which includes Henderson, Johnson, Balotelli etc.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1437: Nov 18, 2014 11:56:32 pm
      I think we have tried playing most of our attacking mid's in different permutations around our striker(s) with little reward, I would put Gerrard up there with Balotelli (or who ever) and try to get some genuine link up play in and around the box.

The lack of pace may prove a problem unless Sterling and Lallana/Coutinho are willing to run past Balotelli into the box rather than expecting Balotelli to make the runs.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #1438: Nov 19, 2014 12:19:32 am
      I think we have tried playing most of our attacking mid's in different permutations around our striker(s) with little reward, I would put Gerrard up there with Balotelli (or who ever) and try to get some genuine link up play in and around the box.

The lack of pace may prove a problem unless Sterling and Lallana/Coutinho are willing to run past Balotelli into the box rather than expecting Balotelli to make the runs.

Put Gerrard up top and put Allen at DM. I think Allen could do a job there. Didn't he play there at the beginning of the season and put in some very good performances or am I imagining that?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1439: Nov 19, 2014 12:25:54 am
      Lucas

Can   Coutinho

Gerrard

Sterling  Balotelli

The problem I have with this is it doesn't get Lallana in the side and he has been our most impressive player in recent weeks in my opinion.

But if you want to squeeze Gerrard into the team in a role other then DM then this is how I'd go.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #1440: Nov 19, 2014 12:26:49 am
      Lucas

Can   Coutinho

Gerrard

Sterling  Balotelli

The problem I have with this is it doesn't get Lallanain the side and he has been our most impressive player in recent weeks in my opinion.

But if you want to squeeze Gerrard inot the team in a role other then DM then this is how I'd go.

Put Can at DM and let Lallana fill the spots he's in.

Sorted.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #1441: Nov 19, 2014 12:28:18 am
      Put Can at DM and let Lallana fill the spots he's in.

Sorted.

I'm not sure Lallana and Coutinho would give you enough solidity ahead of Can FL. It would be one or the other for me.

s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #1442: Nov 19, 2014 12:39:44 am
      I'm not sure Lallana and Coutinho would give you enough solidity ahead of Can FL. It would be one or the other for me.

I agree mate. In fact I think that has been a problem with most of our summer buys in that they are too similar in their limitations to what we already had.

Lovren/Sakho

Coutinho/Lallana

Balotelli/Lambert

Markovic/Sterling

Can is probably the only player that brings something genuinely different to the squad than what we had.

PurpleMonkey
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,000 posts | 1991 
      Reply #1443: Nov 19, 2014 12:50:28 am
      Can is probably the only player that brings something genuinely different to the squad than what we had.

I would add Moreno into that frame.

Moreno for his attacking prowess on the left, something we didn't have last season. Cissokho and Flanno offered very little threat in attack.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #1444: Nov 19, 2014 12:52:51 am
      I agree mate. In fact I think that has been a problem with most of our summer buys in that they are too similar in their limitations to what we already had.

Lovren/Sakho

Coutinho/Lallana

Balotelli/Lambert

Markovic/Sterling

Agree completely mate and was going to make a post about something very similar.

I'd have gone with

Sakho/Lovren
      Suso/Lallana
      Ibe/Markovic
      Flanno/Manquillo

The reason I'd have gone with these lads is that they were in fact the 'depth' we already have. Agger was in front of Sakho, Coutinho in front of Suso, Sterling for Ibe and Johnson for Flanno. Even when we compare what we brought in against our supposed 2nd string it doesn't compare well at the moment and that is damning.

Right now, if all fit I'd be happy to see Flanno, Ibe and Sakho all starting out of our 2nd string and some could make a case for Suso but I'd stick with Lallana for now although do believe Suso has has absolutely no chances given to him.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #1445: Nov 19, 2014 12:53:54 am
      Put Gerrard up top and put Allen at DM. I think Allen could do a job there. Didn't he play there at the beginning of the season and put in some very good performances or am I imagining that?

I'm going with imagining it, Joe Allen, much like optical illusions, can play tricks with your eyes.  ;D
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,330 posts | 6384 
      Reply #1446: Nov 19, 2014 01:07:53 am
      I'm going with imagining it, Joe Allen, much like optical illusions, can play tricks with your eyes.  ;D

http://www.thisisanfield.com/2014/11/joe-allen-offers-liverpool-defensive-midfield-option-wales-display/

Joe Allen Shows Why He Can be Liverpool’s Solution in Defensive Midfield

LIVERPOOL, ENGLAND - Sunday, April 27, 2014: Liverpool's Joe Allen in action against Chelsea during the Premiership match at Anfield. (Pic by David Rawcliffe/Propaganda)

Wales’ valiant 0-0 away draw at Belgium’s King Baudouin Stadium highlighted plenty of positives for the home nation, and Joe Allen’s exceptional defensive midfield showing should benefit Liverpool.

Starting in 4-2-3-1 formation alongside Crystal Palace midfielder Joe Ledley, Allen assumed the deeper role and aided central defenders Ashley Williams and James Chester in keeping a clean sheet against a truly high-quality international side.

In a game where the battle between Gareth Bale and Eden Hazard was set to dominate headlines, Allen’s contribution to a stoic defensive display stood out, and Reds boss Brendan Rodgers should be encouraged.

The defensive midfield role, currently filled by Steven Gerrard, could be Allen’s future at the club.

Gerrard received plentiful acclaim on his transition from roving No. 8 to an authoritative Pirlo-type under Rodgers last season, but that success seemingly wasn’t to last, and the 34-year-old has struggled so far in 2014/15.

With Liverpool’s most effective system based on a 4-4-2 midfield diamond formation, the defensive midfield role is integral.

As a regista, Gerrard must drop between the centre-backs when Liverpool attack, in order to cover for any breaks from the opposition, and contribute in breaking up any resulting play and shield the back four, as well as creating from deep, either in tandem with his supporting midfielders or with accurate long balls.

However, Gerrard often now struggles to keep up with the opposition—Oscar completely bypassing him ad nauseum in the recent league defeat highlights this—and his famed raking long balls tend to frustrate the build-up play associated with Rodgers’ system.

Allen against Belgium showed a potential replacement for Gerrard, either this season or the next—the determined Gerrard may cling on and find his form again, however implausible.

A popular myth surrounding Allen in Liverpool’s midfield is that the diminutive option lacks physicality.
      An enthralling running battle between Allen and Belgium’s Marouane Fellaini on Sunday night should go some way to disprove this.

Much was made of Fellaini’s elbow on the midfielder, but Allen gave as good as he got with some tough tackling.

This isn’t an anomaly either. In pre-season Philippe Coutinho claimed: “I work with Joe (Allen) sometimes to see how he uses his body to protect the ball. He’s amazing at it.”

When the going gets tough in defensive midfield, Allen far from shirks his duties.

As mentioned, an important facet of the modern defensive midfielder’s game is in the positioning between the centre-backs when the side are in an attacking phase.

Often this is as the deepest outfield player in the side.

Williams and Chester didn’t push on as such, with Wales manager Chris Coleman’s game-plan arguably to contain Belgium and earn a vital point.

Allen’s disciplined work in filling the space between the pair when full-backs Neil Taylor and Chris Gunter inevitably advanced, however, was crucial to stymie the Red Devils’ counter attack.

In this role, and in order for Wales to carve out any chances—typically through Bale—Allen needed to provide incisive passes from deep.

The 24-year-old played long and short, in the air and on the ground, with surprising success; a disciplined and intelligent midfielder, this quality could see Allen offer a vital component within Rodgers’ midfield diamond.

As Gerrard wanes, Allen arrives as a contender for the defensive midfield role at Anfield.

Within Coleman’s side on Sunday night, Allen fulfilled his duties adroitly.

Furthermore, Allen has already excelled in this role for the Reds, in his early days at the club following his ÂŁ15 million move from Swansea City in 2012, before dropping off with injury.

This season the Welshman has operated as a shuttling midfielder, covering space, closing down opponents and recycling possession. However, this Wales display shows his true potential elsewhere.

With Gerrard undoubtedly on his way out for Liverpool, and struggling particularly in this deep-lying role after several sides have targeted his diminishing energy, the captain should assume a more bit-part role in the near future—this would leave a key role open.

Joe Allen could be the player to fill that void for Brendan Rodgers in the Premier League.
      Dadorious
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #1447: Nov 19, 2014 01:23:53 am
      With the 60k knocked of Johnson's contract put it into the Stevie bucket and get him signed up now.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      Reply #1448: Nov 19, 2014 02:09:18 am

I'm interested in this idea of Lallana and Coutinho ahead of Can; as I recall, Lallana had some crazy statistic about being the best player in the league last season for winning back the ball in the opponents third.

Quick Reply