Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 153452 times
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #161: Oct 01, 2013 01:13:44 pm
      Do you know the definition of irony? It appears not.

;D
      Brilliant Babbel
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 510 posts | 10 
      Reply #162: Oct 01, 2013 01:58:30 pm
      Okay, different tack then - if you weren't trying to be a dick; what did you hope to achieve by your sniping?  :confused-smiley-013:
      If you don't like what I say, don't reply. Not my fault you've got a insecurity complex when it comes tot discussing fickle fans.

As for you Stu..you clearly have no idea about situation irony. Look it up.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #163: Oct 01, 2013 02:11:18 pm
      If you don't like what I say, don't reply.
      Oh the "irony"... so, you never answered: what did you hope to achieve by your sniping; harmony?  :confused-smiley-013:
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2013 02:20:38 pm by bad boy bubby »
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #164: Oct 01, 2013 02:45:00 pm
      Anyway back on topic, Stevie is one of my all time favourite players and his pass to Sturridge was brilliant but I also noticed a lot of misplaced passes and sloppy play.
      it's no use buryign yor head in the sand and thinking is still the great player he once was. Of course he will still show moments of magic, I'm sure if you had kenny on th epitch you'd still see the occasional flash of brilliance but the central midfield area is an issue and it does need addressing, there is no way around that. Ideally we need to find some way of coping through to january and then break the fecking bank in getting a top top class midfielder in.
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #165: Oct 01, 2013 06:38:49 pm
      This shouldn't be a thread.  It should be in the knee jerk reaction topic.  Gerrard is still one of our best in midfield and a couple of off games won't change that. Don't forget he just about single handedly carried England through their qualifiers just a few weeks ago. Without him things would have been way worse for England.  I doubt he has got a lot worse in 3 weeks.  I tthinkif Gerrard finishes the season strong we'll have him for atleast another season.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,716 posts | 162 
      Reply #166: Oct 01, 2013 08:29:05 pm
      I must admit I have been critical of Gerrard this season but since we have changed the formation with 3 at the back he looks much more comfortable. Against Sunderland he spent much more time further up the pitch.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,975 posts | 5035 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #167: Oct 01, 2013 08:35:54 pm
      F**k ENGLAND !
      Who gives a F**k about them ?

Anyhoo, has anyone considered that Gerrard might just be going thru a bad spell, we all know he hasn't the stamina he once had but every player occasionally experiences a lull in form,

for years he's carried us thru hell and back mostly off his own back, in all the years I can't remember him being below par as much as now, maybe it's because we all know his career is starting to wind down and we still expect a Gerrard in his 20's, I'm sure he made mistakes when in his pomp but weren't so evident, now when he fucks up we are to quick to critisize because we don't expect it from him,

I'm hoping it is just a lull he's going thru, and come later I the season when WE WILL need him near his best when it matters most,

I'd hate to think this is the beginning of the end for Ste, he deserves to bow out at the top not fade away and end his career warming the bench, it's why Carra went when he did, only Stevie knows what he is capable of, what his body can & cannot do, and perhaps more important how he recovers.

YNWA

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #168: Oct 01, 2013 08:39:09 pm
      Don't forget he just about single handedly carried England through their qualifiers just a few weeks ago.

In Ukraine he was invisible, as was every other England player that night. Would hardly spout on about his performance against Moldova as well. 11 blind folded donkeys could have beat that team.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #169: Oct 01, 2013 10:33:00 pm
      The fact that this thread has 6 pages to our best every player and captain is truly embarrasing.

The fact that we apparently now can't discuss or debate the form of a player just because of who he is is embarrasing as far as I'm concerned.

Just because I, or anyone else, feels that the blend in the midfield two wasn't working and that Lucas alone wasn't entirely at fault doesn't mean I think any less of Gerrard.

Listen for what it's worth Gerrard has been the best player I've even seen play for the club, only vaguely remember Kenny, and he has carried the club on his shoulders for some time now. He has had many moments and seasons which should have seen him up for footballer of the year both in England and in Europe.

He was and is a fantastic footballer but that does not mean that if I think his role in the side needs looking at I'm not going to discuss it because it's Gerrard and some people might think I've suddenly forgot what he has done for us and how much the club means to him.

Steven Gerrard is one of the greatest players ever to pull on a red shirt.

That is not up for debate or what is being discussed or debated in this thread.
      « Last Edit: Oct 01, 2013 11:00:22 pm by srslfc »
      zanwalk
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 142 posts |
      Reply #170: Oct 01, 2013 10:56:22 pm
      The fact that we apparently now can't discuss or debate the form of a player just because of who he is is embarrasing as far as I'm concerned.

Just because I, or anyone else, feels that the blend in the midfield two wasn't working and that Lucas alone wasn't entirely at fault doesn't mean I think any less of Gerrard.

Listen for what it's worth Gerrard has been the best player I've even seen play for the club, only vaguely remember Kenny, and he has carried the club on his shoulders for some time now. He has had many moments and seasons which should have seen him up for footballer of the year both in England and in Europe.

He was and is a fantastic footballer but that does not mean that if I think his role in the side needs looking at I'm not going to discuss it because it's Gerrard and some poeple might think I've suddenly forgot what he has done for us and how much the club means to him.

Steven Gerrard is one of the greatest players ever to pull on a red shirt.

That is not up for debate or what is being discussed or debated in this thread.

Spot on! Every player grows old and becomes less effective, just because he is SG shouldn't mean we can't discuss him.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #171: Oct 01, 2013 10:57:35 pm
      i'm pretty sure it was abouit this time last season that we had virtually an identical thread containing pretty  much all the same points and then Stevie went on to have a pretty decent season with some important goals and more assists than he had managed since the 08-09 season when he laying them on a plate for Torres week in week out. He'll be fine, i'm not even sure his performances warrant the thread to be honest.

There seems to be an assumption that because we have looked dodgy and been getting overun during the 2nd half of several of our games so far this season that it is all down to Gerrard and/or Lucas and that's lazy for me. There's more to it than that and it's too easy to point the finger at these two players.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #172: Oct 01, 2013 10:59:32 pm
      i'm pretty sure it was abouit this time last season that we had virtually an identical thread containing pretty  much all the same points and then Stevie went on to have a pretty decent season

Not sure who started the thread Scott but I did think the same last season but for me Stevie went on to be in my top three players of the season for us.

Just hw I've seen it so far and like I've said quite a bit I have no problem being proven wrong again here.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #173: Oct 02, 2013 12:04:01 am
      I can't wait for him to call time on his England career.
      Worst thing Roy could have done, for Liverpool, is make Stevie captain.
      Great honour for Stevie, but harder to then make the call to prolong his club career.
      Canuck33
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 345 posts | 19 
      Reply #174: Oct 02, 2013 01:58:03 am
      I can't wait for him to call time on his England career.
      Worst thing Roy could have done, for Liverpool, is make Stevie captain.
      Great honour for Stevie, but harder to then make the call to prolong his club career.

He deserves to lead out the lads in Brasil. That'll be his swan song. If it is detrimental to LFCs interest, we'll just have to suck it up. Unfortunate, but that's what it is.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #175: Oct 02, 2013 02:41:40 am
      Not sure who started the thread Scott but I did think the same last season but for me Stevie went on to be in my top three players of the season for us.

Just hw I've seen it so far and like I've said quite a bit I have no problem being proven wrong again here.

That was probably myself. Thought he was a disaster, not too dissimilar to his performances against Swansea and Southampton, for the first couple of months last season. From around November time I seem to recall the really picked up his performances again and like yourself he ended up as one of my top 3 players of the season. No doubt however that it's always a concern to see him perform in this unusual manner because you fear that it could become the norm.
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #176: Oct 02, 2013 05:33:55 pm
      That was probably myself. Thought he was a disaster, not too dissimilar to his performances against Swansea and Southampton, for the first couple of months last season. From around November time I seem to recall the really picked up his performances again and like yourself he ended up as one of my top 3 players of the season. No doubt however that it's always a concern to see him perform in this unusual manner because you fear that it could become the norm.

He created 2 goals at Sunderland. I thought he was quality personally.

Still the first name on the team sheet for me.

Legend.
      andymac7565
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,088 posts | 23 
      Reply #177: Oct 02, 2013 08:58:58 pm
      Well said London

The rest must be watching some other team.
      How the F**k can fans of the club think Gerrard is not good enough any more??!!

Total nonsense he's still the 1st name on the sheet so long as he's fit
      This is real football not FIFA 13 or whatever f***in number it's up to now

We have no one to fill his boots simple as that. Every other football fan in the
      country thinks the man is awesome yet on this LFC forum liverpool 'fans' c**t him off!!

You couldn't f***in make it up.

No one is perfect and Stevie isn't & wasn't 10 years ago. But he was better than
      anyone else we had then & he's still better than anyone else we have now.
      Every manager he's ever played under has only wished they had another 10 in the team like him.
      Certainly if we'd had another 3 or 4 like him at any one time we'd have been champions in his time.

Get off his back you planks it's not smart slagging your best player on a forum. It doesn't make
      other's think you must be more knowledgeable about our club it just makes you look & sound strange.

Go to Anfield & slag Gerrard to the fella sat next to you see how you get on!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,506 posts | 4850 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #178: Oct 03, 2013 07:40:19 am
      calm down dear, it's only a football forum  :D

And every forum needs a cock head. Thanks for filling the role.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #179: Oct 03, 2013 04:23:22 pm
      Well said London

The rest must be watching some other team.

Total nonsense he's still the 1st name on the sheet so long as he's fit
      This is real football not FIFA 13 or whatever f***in number it's up to now

We have no one to fill his boots simple as that. Every other football fan in the
      country thinks the man is awesome yet on this LFC forum liverpool 'fans' c**t him off!!

You couldn't f***in make it up.

No one is perfect and Stevie isn't & wasn't 10 years ago. But he was better than
      anyone else we had then & he's still better than anyone else we have now.
      Every manager he's ever played under has only wished they had another 10 in the team like him.
      Certainly if we'd had another 3 or 4 like him at any one time we'd have been champions in his time.

Get off his back you planks it's not smart slagging your best player on a forum. It doesn't make
      other's think you must be more knowledgeable about our club it just makes you look & sound strange.

Go to Anfield & slag Gerrard to the fella sat next to you see how you get on!!

Well said Andy......put it like this, we'll miss him when he's gone, some people just don't appreciate what he does for the team.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,662 posts | 3896 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #180: Oct 03, 2013 04:37:07 pm

I don't think anyone has actually said that.
      Mostly it's been a case of having someone share the load or do the leg work.
      It's also been suggested that we might want to rest him on occasion.

Having said that, seeing as we only have one game a week up until Christmas it may already be an obsolete argument.
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Reply #181: Oct 03, 2013 04:46:46 pm
      I think Gerrard is an easy target.

In the role he's in now you'll always see him, just walking around the middle of the park, and especially at the edge of the box.  To the untrained it will appear lazy, like he doesn't put in the effort....  Yet he'll get the ball and place it perfectly to the top 2 or wing men.  Which is where his genius is.

He isn't the match winner anymore just like Giggs doesn't fly down the wing nowadays.  His game has changed to more of a player maker.

Inch perfect passes are more what he's about.

When we win - it's this "positioning and awareness" that is creditted.

When we lose - this is the stick used to beat him for "Just not caring enough".

I think a bid from Bayern last year should show us all that he is still a world class player... 

A match winner still, but not how we all remember him by and not what we're use to.
      The Dark Knight
      • Forum Jari Litmanen

• 45 posts | 11 
      Reply #182: Oct 03, 2013 06:39:45 pm
      I made the mistake last season of writing Gerrard off. Let's face it, he hadn't done great when he returned from injury in 2011/12. Had a good Euros that summer, but his first two or three months of 2012/13 were abject (like many players in our team to be fair, but his standards are obviously higher). He seemed to have little left to offer, and I told my Dad we should rest/drop him (he disagreed). Of course, Rodgers being new and wanting the captain to be in favour of him kept on playing him, and from about December until the end of the season I thought Stevie was very good, probably our second or third best player. His short passing improved and he was still pulling off some ridiculously good vintage Gerrard raking passes. Rolled back the years to score two worldies against Man City and Norwich. Apart from one penner, was clinical from 12 yards including a late winner against Tottenham in that thriller.

What I'm trying to say is, I'm not going to write him off anymore. Not the same mistake as last season. At least not now. It took him a while to get going last season (partly down to his hectic summer at the Euros I guess) but when he did he played very well, certainly around an 8/10 standard as opposed to the 6/10 we're seeing now. I don't think the problem is Gerrard or Lucas individually, they are just so immobile nowadays that we lose control in the middle of the park as fitter opponents press them high. Gerrard can still counter that with one of his phenomenal passes, ie the one we saw to Sturridge in the lead up to goal two at Sunderland. But IF we are so intent on having him and Lucas in the middle we generally need Henderson or someone energetic there too, to cover for their lack of mobility. We did that last season from about February onwards, and gained some excellent results in the process.

There's no doubt we need a central midfielder to not only offer competition to Gerrard and Lucas, but also to sometimes play with them. Someone like Schneiderlin would be perfect in my opinion, athough Southampton are no longer a selling club it seems.

My advice with Gerrard would be enjoy watching him in his last two or three years, because you'll miss him when he hangs up his boots.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #183: Oct 03, 2013 06:39:59 pm
      The problem we have is that previously Gerrard used to rampage up and down the pitch and cover up for the fact that his partner never scored nor scored a goal to be scored, and was utterly paceless. Now, Gerrard is no longer able to rampage up and down the pitch and do the work of two men, and our midfield pairing looks like it lacks punch. It does, but Gerrard is better at being a holding or sitting midfielder than anybody else we have (by absolutely miles). It therefore follows as sure as eggs is eggs that we are going to need to find a midfielder who can do what Gerrard did, even to some extent.

They used to call them box to box midfielders, and the fact that Man Utd have Tom Cleverley would seem to indicate there aren't many of them around in this country. That's what we need though, then we'll have a midfield again.

Quick Reply