Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

"We Need To Talk About Gerrard."

Read 151336 times
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Re: "We Need To Talk About Gerrard."
      Reply #828: Jul 20, 2014 11:15:00 am
      Sorry guys, I know Woy isn't a tactical genius and Stevies performances shouldn't be judged on those two games alone but if something showed up, it was his age. His legs have gone. BR just does an incredible job to hide it. I'm wondering how he'll do against some of the big European teams out there. IMO we need a Mascherano type player here.

Stevie was exposed in a two man midfield at the WC, not at all helped by the dinosaur 1970's tactics employed by Hodgson (how this guy is being trusted to bring through this talented crop of young attacking players is beyond me). Play him in a three with others who can run all day and he is and can still be a very effective player. He is also a nightmare for other teams to defend at times because of e damage he can do when he picks the ball up between the centre-halves. You can't really pick him up there, not without everybody pressing which teams are loathe to do with the likes of Sterling and Sturridge always a threat.

I think we will get another excellent season out of Stevie, I really do.
      Hollywood Balls
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,802 posts | 469 
      • PhD, School of Hard Knocks, University of Life.
      Reply #829: Jul 20, 2014 11:23:33 am
      Agree with this - Stevie is definitely heading on his way out but with two willing and hard pressing runners ahead of him we could extend his career by a couple of years - just as Pirlo has been cleverly used.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #830: Jul 20, 2014 11:25:58 am
      Sorry guys, I know Woy isn't a tactical genius and Stevies performances shouldn't be judged on those two games alone but if something showed up, it was his age. His legs have gone. BR just does an incredible job to hide it. I'm wondering how he'll do against some of the big European teams out there. IMO we need a Mascherano type player here.

is this instead of the locked topic on Stevie. His legs have not gone one bit I saw him race back quite a few times last season and he wasn't blowing at all.
      If Brendan thinks he is vital to the team (and he is) then that's good enough for me. Just look at the stats last season it was a wonderful year and Stevie played a huge part in that.Can't wait to see him again just hope he packs in the England job
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #831: Jul 20, 2014 11:29:53 am
      It's normally around October time that we get the "Gerrard should be used as an impact sub" threads, before the season even starts is a bit of a departure. Then, around January everyone is normally converted to the "f*ck me I might have been wrong, Gerrard is actually quite good" side of the argument (save for those who never admit to being wrong about anything obviously).
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #832: Jul 20, 2014 11:36:24 am
      It's normally around October time that we get the "Gerrard should be used as an impact sub" threads, before the season even starts is a bit of a departure. Then, around January everyone is normally converted to the "f*ck me I might have been wrong, Gerrard is actually quite good" side of the argument (save for those who never admit to being wrong about anything obviously).

:lmao:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #833: Jul 20, 2014 11:41:12 am
      I'd throw a big chunk of the Suarez money at Paul Pogba and see of Juve are willing to sell, he would be the mainstay of our midfield for the next 10 years. Not the same player as Gerrard but if we're talking about players who could step in and make a big impact for many years he is for me head and shoulders above the rest. I'd actually throw 50 (even 60) mill on the table to make it happen.

Depends which Stevie we're wanting to replace mate. 

Pogba is more of a No.8 box to box type isn't he?  Whereas Stevie is playing more of a No.6 now.  I know I'm talking old money positions but it's how I relate to players positions, something to bear in mind when we're looking at a replacement.

Henderson does the No.8 perfectly but without the goals Stevie got, I'm sure that will be the next "phase" of his development.  Can is more of a Yaya type, sits deep but brings the ball out to start an attack whereas Stevie passes the ball to start an attack.

Personally I don't think there is a player out there who will replicate the variety or the longevity that Stevie has shown during his illustrious career.  Players just aren't coached like that now.  At our own Academy all the midfielders do both as well as the No.10 role, they interchange throughout the games.  Makes it very difficult for the opposition to pick them up.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #834: Jul 20, 2014 12:18:08 pm
      I don't see the need to talk about Stevie. The man is a Legend and he will know more than anyone else when he is ready to hang up the boots.
      Red8
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 342 posts | 38 
      Reply #835: Jul 20, 2014 12:21:45 pm
      I don't see the need to talk about Stevie. The man is a Legend and he will know more than anyone else when he is ready to hang up the boots.

exactly
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #836: Jul 20, 2014 12:32:04 pm
      It will be important to play him at the right times and rest him at the right times. And contrary to what most will think the right time to rest him might be against a Chelsea or Arsenal and we might need him against a Hull or a Newcastle. I think Brendan will get it right on that front though. We will want Stevie fresh come around March
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #837: Jul 20, 2014 12:43:01 pm
      The recent friendlies show how much we need the anchor that is Steven Gerrard, that's worth talking about.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #838: Jul 20, 2014 12:48:05 pm
      It will be important to play him at the right times and rest him at the right times. And contrary to what most will think the right time to rest him might be against a Chelsea or Arsenal and we might need him against a Hull or a Newcastle. I think Brendan will get it right on that front though. We will want Stevie fresh come around March

Correct Brian, resting our man might be a complete waste of time though if he is appearing with the national lampoons footy team and they kick seven kinds of sh*te arrovim. 
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2827 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #839: Jul 20, 2014 12:55:07 pm
      Correct Brian, resting our man might be a complete waste of time though if he is appearing with the national lampoons footy team and they kick seven kinds of sh*te arrovim. 

Surely hes thinking about binning them off.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #840: Jul 20, 2014 01:00:30 pm
      Surely hes thinking about binning them off.

Thought that last season mate and that wouldn't have been before time, there's not many Huyton lads I've known with that much national pride, met quite a few with no national pride tho'.
      woodsie2b
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 135 posts | 11 
      Reply #841: Jul 20, 2014 04:25:06 pm
      I'd love to see Stevie slip back into a central defence roll, with his passing, calming influence and knowledge he could become easily one of the best centre half's in the league.
      TBH some of the positions he takes up at the moment seem to be too deep, in fact even deeper than a centre half!
      The amount of goals we conceded last season certainly doesn't warrant Stevie being labelled a great defensive midfielder likewise pretty much all our defence was awful last season!
      Logical move for Stevie IMO
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,236 posts | 8573 
      Reply #842: Jul 20, 2014 06:14:30 pm
      Thought that last season mate and that wouldn't have been before time, there's not many Huyton lads I've known with that much national pride, met quite a few with no national pride tho'.

Honestly though Stuey what is there in this country to have any pride in?

After everything that has happened to do with Hillsborough over the last 24/25 years, I'm virtually done with having any pride in my tw*t of country.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #843: Jul 20, 2014 07:20:22 pm

After everything that has happened to do with Hillsborough over the last 24/25 years, I'm virtually done with having any pride in my tw*t of country.

When they want something like getting the young lads going off somewhere and fighting for F**k knows what they give it all that about queen and country bollocks, like they do now - and what happens when the lads come home? Made F***ing redundant from the armed services.
      They divide the country and turn people against each to hold onto power.
      They are full of sh*t mate and patriotism is purely and simply taking the F***ing piss.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #844: Jul 20, 2014 08:23:31 pm

Ditto from another Huyton lad.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #845: Jul 20, 2014 08:25:04 pm
      We had to talk about Gerrard last season but he soon silenced doubters with his performances and the amount of goals (granted a lot of penalties but still) and assists that he was getting.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #846: Jul 20, 2014 10:37:51 pm
      It's nice talking about Gerrard, he doesn't even play in his old role so it's free for the staff at the club to buy a Barkley, Pogba or maybe an Emre Can, Lallana, Allen or Henderson, we already have a few players here who will step up.
      Gerrard was amazing in his old style of brilliant marauding attack and defensive blocks slide tackles (he still does that), he still has it in his legs to do both when needs be, I will say he shouldn't be overused this season.
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,779 posts | 6741 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #847: Jul 21, 2014 08:47:15 am
      I'd love to see Stevie slip back into a central defence roll, with his passing, calming influence and knowledge he could become easily one of the best centre half's in the league.
      TBH some of the positions he takes up at the moment seem to be too deep, in fact even deeper than a centre half!
      The amount of goals we conceded last season certainly doesn't warrant Stevie being labelled a great defensive midfielder likewise pretty much all our defence was awful last season!
      Logical move for Stevie IMO

Did you have to use Stevie and slip in the same sentence?  :f_wah: :f_wah: :f_wah:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly
      • Started Topic

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #848: Jul 21, 2014 02:50:26 pm
      We had to talk about Gerrard last season but he soon silenced doubters with his performances and the amount of goals (granted a lot of penalties but still) and assists that he was getting.

He did indeed. ;D

I think anyone judging Gerrard playing in a two man midfield in a Hodgson side needs to have a rethink.

I expect him to be immense this season just sitting dictating the game and letting all those young lads ahead of him get on with it.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #849: Jul 21, 2014 03:08:21 pm
      couldn't we rename this thread "we need to talk about Gerrard because he is f***in amazing"
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #850: Jul 21, 2014 03:10:35 pm

Quick Reply