Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W11 D3 L12

What Are You Listening To? The Podcast Edition

Read 26460 times
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      What Are You Listening To? The Podcast Edition
      Sep 27, 2013 09:50:58 am
      I know some of you listen to them, I've seen The Anfield Wrap & Pass & Move mentioned recently, but what are you listening to.  Can you recommend some to others?

I listen to several, my work day allows me to listen to them all day, so I get through a few.

If I could get people to listen to just one, ignoring football related ones, it would have to be The Bugle, hosted by Andy Zaltzman, cricket  mad comedian, wild haired lapsed Jew (no ones telling him he can't have a bacon sarnie) and pun runner extraordinaire and John Oliver, an ex-pat, who some may know from The Daily Show and some may know, but not want to admit it, from The Smurf films.  It's a hugely funny show, that will have you guffawing loudly when out & about, garnering you with strange looks from the general public. For me, any one that comes up with the "F**k You-logy" (F**k eulogy) for when people with less than stellar, one might say notorious fame pass away, is worthy of you taking 40 minutes one week to see if it's your cup of tea.

I listen to several that cover my love of film & television, of course including Star Trek ones, but a second recommendation is a podcast that may only see you getting one every 3-4 months, but the last one came in at just a tad over four hours long. Dan Carlin's Hardcore Hisory, it's a great listen, his coverage of the downfall of Rome & the Mongols were absolutely great listens and I'd say even if you only have a passing interest in the past, go look them up.  He's always clear when he's making guesses because of lack of information from the time.

If I had to recommend a football one, ignoring Liverpool ones, I'd have to go with The Football Ramble, insightful, irrelevant & 'ilarious and definitely one from a fans perspective. 

So, over to you, any recommendations that may force out one or two I already listen to?

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Re: What Are You Listening To? The Podcast Edition
      Reply #1: Sep 27, 2013 03:14:58 pm
      After Anfield Wrap I only get the chance to listen to Kermode and Mayo and the Guardian's on with James Richardson.

Only started with the latter and not sure I I'll persist as I'm not a fan of  Glendinning who is a regular.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #2: Sep 27, 2013 07:58:24 pm
      Just to mention, John Oliver is a Liverpool fan.

Kermode and Mayo is really good I agree. I find it interesting even if I have no intention to go and see the films being reviewed, plus they make a good double act.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #3: Sep 27, 2013 08:06:34 pm
      After Anfield Wrap I only get the chance to listen to Kermode and Mayo and the Guardian's on with James Richardson.

Only started with the latter and not sure I I'll persist as I'm not a fan of  Glendinning who is a regular.

I must agree, Glendenning is an annoying f**k.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #4: Sep 27, 2013 11:17:09 pm
      I must agree, Glendenning is an annoying f**k.

He is but I really like James.

Always thought he deserved a bigger job on TV.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #5: Oct 04, 2013 11:49:19 pm
      This Fridays Anfield wrap has started well.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #6: Oct 04, 2013 11:53:26 pm
      This Fridays Anfield wrap has started well.

Just downloaded that to listen to on the way to wokr tomorrow.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7: Oct 04, 2013 11:58:02 pm
      Just downloaded that to listen to on the way to wokr tomorrow.

Be The Bugle for me, on the way to work.  Great way to start the day and the looks I get on the bus, as I'm laughing my arse off, is worth it.  My favourite podcast, I just can't recommend it enough.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #8: Oct 05, 2013 12:02:57 am
      Be The Bugle for me, on the way to work.  Great way to start the day and the looks I get on the bus, as I'm laughing my arse off, is worth it.  My favourite podcast, I just can't recommend it enough.

I'll check that one out as well.
      Bier
      Reply #9: Dec 19, 2014 05:10:28 pm
      I started listening to a podcast called Serial recently. Anyone else listened to it? It's supposed to be very popular as far as podcasts go. It's basically a nonfiction murder case from 1999, told by a journalist who investigated the case for 15 months. The first season has already finished, and a second season will be made which will cover another case, but I only started listening 2 days ago, am a few episodes in, and it's very good so far. The podcast can be found here: http://serialpodcast.org/ Worth a listen!

Another one I recently started listening to is Radiolab. I'm not sure how to describe it, but their site says it well: "Radiolab is a show about curiosity. Where sound illuminates ideas, and the boundaries blur between science, philosophy, and human experience." Each episode has a different subject, and it's very interesting. It can be found here: http://www.radiolab.org/

Before these I never really listened to podcasts, but they've certainly piqued my interest for the medium.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #10: Dec 20, 2014 09:47:06 am
      I started listening to a podcast called Serial recently. Anyone else listened to it? It's supposed to be very popular as far as podcasts go. It's basically a nonfiction murder case from 1999, told by a journalist who investigated the case for 15 months. The first season has already finished, and a second season will be made which will cover another case, but I only started listening 2 days ago, am a few episodes in, and it's very good so far. The podcast can be found here: http://serialpodcast.org/ Worth a listen!

Another one I recently started listening to is Radiolab. I'm not sure how to describe it, but their site says it well: "Radiolab is a show about curiosity. Where sound illuminates ideas, and the boundaries blur between science, philosophy, and human experience." Each episode has a different subject, and it's very interesting. It can be found here: http://www.radiolab.org/

Before these I never really listened to podcasts, but they've certainly piqued my interest for the medium.

I wish I could start listening to more, but I listen to 45+ hours a week as it is.  I used to listen to a lot of radio back in the day, but both 5live and Talk Radio, which became TalkSport, have become a pale shadow of what they were, with the latter becoming nothing but depressing red top radio.  I still download a few 5live shows as podcasts, Danny Baker's show for  one, but TalkSport just isn't worth it.  I'm kind of surpised, as a country, the UK has never managed to run a succesful, decent commercial talk station.

Dan Carlin's two podcasts are certainly worth looking up, Hardcore history especially.

As always, I must big up The Bugle podcast, it always has genuine laugh out moments and the year ender had me belly laughing again. Worth listening just to find out which country wins dick of the year.
      Bier
      Reply #11: Dec 23, 2014 08:40:28 pm
      I wish I could start listening to more, but I listen to 45+ hours a week as it is.  I used to listen to a lot of radio back in the day, but both 5live and Talk Radio, which became TalkSport, have become a pale shadow of what they were, with the latter becoming nothing but depressing red top radio.  I still download a few 5live shows as podcasts, Danny Baker's show for  one, but TalkSport just isn't worth it.  I'm kind of surpised, as a country, the UK has never managed to run a succesful, decent commercial talk station.

Dan Carlin's two podcasts are certainly worth looking up, Hardcore history especially.

As always, I must big up The Bugle podcast, it always has genuine laugh out moments and the year ender had me belly laughing again. Worth listening just to find out which country wins dick of the year.

Man, 45+ hours!? That's alot! Surprised you haven't been listening to Serial this year then, there's been so much hype around that podcast, most listened to podcast out there, seen as a gamechanger for podcasts. It's the first podcast I really got into, I loved it, but now I'm done with the first season and there's nothing similar out there to fill the void. Serial is so well produced, been more than a year in development, and it's basically one murder case spread over 12 episodes, very narratively driven. It completely absorbed me in the way previously only a good tv series could, made me want to binge all episodes. I guess at least there's going to be another season next year, and I imagine it will inspire many new similar podcasts due to it's popularity, hopefully.

I'm aware of many of the other popular podcasts, like those you mentioned. I've been actively looking for new podcasts to listen to, but nothing else has really gripped me yet.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #12: Dec 23, 2014 08:56:02 pm
      Man, 45+ hours!? That's alot! Surprised you haven't been listening to Serial this year then, there's been so much hype around that podcast, most listened to podcast out there, seen as a gamechanger for podcasts. It's the first podcast I really got into, I loved it, but now I'm done with the first season and there's nothing similar out there to fill the void. Serial is so well produced, been more than a year in development, and it's basically one murder case spread over 12 episodes, very narratively driven. It completely absorbed me in the way previously only a good tv series could, made me want to binge all episodes. I guess at least there's going to be another season next year, and I imagine it will inspire many new similar podcasts due to it's popularity, hopefully.

I'm aware of many of the other popular podcasts, like those you mentioned. I've been actively looking for new podcasts to listen to, but nothing else has really gripped me yet.

I listened to the first one of those today on the back of your recommendation mate, downloaded the next couple.

I listened to one earlier in the year which was a similar format, a seasonal story read by actors called "we're alive" and it really enjoyed that and had been looking for something similar since so thanks
      Bier
      Reply #13: Dec 23, 2014 09:09:16 pm
      I listened to the first one of those today on the back of your recommendation mate, downloaded the next couple.

I listened to one earlier in the year which was a similar format, a seasonal story read by actors called "we're alive" and it really enjoyed that and had been looking for something similar since so thanks

I actually ran into We're Alive yesterday, haven't tried it yet but I certainly will soon now. Problem thus far I've had with acted out stories in podcasts is that the acting hasn't been that good or believable. Serial being real I guess it didn't have that issue. Another popular one of those acted out fiction stories is Welcome to Night Vale. I've read it's very Stephen King and Twin Peaks like, but have yet to try it but will soon. Enjoy Serial mate! Let me know when you're done if you liked it.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #14: Dec 23, 2014 10:25:41 pm
      I actually ran into We're Alive yesterday, haven't tried it yet but I certainly will soon now. Problem thus far I've had with acted out stories in podcasts is that the acting hasn't been that good or believable. Serial being real I guess it didn't have that issue. Another popular one of those acted out fiction stories is Welcome to Night Vale. I've read it's very Stephen King and Twin Peaks like, but have yet to try it but will soon. Enjoy Serial mate! Let me know when you're done if you liked it.

Will do mate, I really liked the first one today.

Ive just subscribed to Welcome to night vale just now too so I'll get round to that at some point.

I've not heard any other acted out series but I did enjoy we're alive, 90% of the actors were good, a couple who were not quite believable but overall good mate
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #15: Dec 24, 2014 12:56:21 am
      Man, 45+ hours!? That's alot!

Work 6 days a week, largely on my own, plus travelling to and from work, podcasts have just replaced radio for me.  Mainly comedy and sport, though I do listen to a fair few Star Trek and assorted sci-fi ones.  Used to listen to a dozen or so audio dramas, but they all ended and I never replaced them. 
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #16: Jan 12, 2015 07:57:24 am

Alright mate

I finished Serial Friday, really enjoyed it. You said you had finished it through yeah? What did you think?

Wanted to double check you had before I spoke about it
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #17: Mar 10, 2015 10:40:17 pm
      Just downloaded the latest Bugle podcast on Rodders recomendation so I'll see how that goes.

Anfield Wrap, The Rider, Kermode and Mayo are my regulars and I've also started the Better Caul Saul Insider which gives some interesting insight into the show.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #18: Jul 03, 2015 05:30:44 pm
      Always listen to kermode and mayo's film review, desert island discs (the bradley wiggins one was awesome) and also Serial (about the imprisionment in the U.S. Of a man that may or may not have killed his girlfriend)
      Podcasts are a genius addition to my life.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #19: Jul 03, 2015 05:33:13 pm
      Always listen to kermode and mayo's film review

Love it.

Mark's Entourage rant last week was glorious.
      « Last Edit: Jul 03, 2015 11:24:48 pm by srslfc »
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #20: Jul 03, 2015 08:19:48 pm
      Love it.

Mark's entourage rant last week was glorious.

Agree! It was fantastic and sums up how I felt about the TV series
      Such utter dross.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #21: Jul 03, 2015 08:41:13 pm
      Love it.

Mark's entourage rant last week was glorious.

Wasn't it just! Sublime radio!

Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,046 posts | 2741 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #22: Jul 03, 2015 08:43:22 pm
      I'm in a Bob Marley mood this week mixed with some late 90s early 00s trance and house. And in the car it's the Eagles

Quick Reply