Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

Keep developing and lacking the win

Read 1119 times
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Keep developing and lacking the win
      Dec 12, 2016 04:05:24 am
      First off, this is not intended to be a rant post after the WH game.  this thread is on the idea that the perpetual strategy of building maybe never get us to the promised goal

Im a long time LFC fan and yes the last few years have been tough. actually many many years have been tough but i wanted to talk about a theory that has been playing in my thoughts

building and developing to win rarely works

what i mean is this: for instance we look at liverpool for the past few years.  a rollercosster of managers that step in with the promise of taking us to that elusive premier league title.  we spend heavily in many transfer windows and over the years have had some pretty stellar players in our ranks.   but one common issue is that we are always a couple buys too short of something special.

this is the crux of the problem i see.  like our current squad. we are pretty entertaining and good moving forward but we lack the completeness to consistently win.  we are a few key players short. and i think most of all of you will agree we have soft spots

we tend to have good players. good players have ambitions and when they give us a few years and not see us any closer to winning, they leave.  eg suarez.  they leave because they do not feel they can win trophies. so the best players tend to look at us as a stepping stone.  real madrid, barca have a squad of world class players that for most part is content because they are challenging for everything.  why leave unless something like lack of play time or mega chinese bucks sways them. 

but with us, i feel our time with our fantastic players like coutinho and to a lesser extent mane is finite unless we can really start challenging. if we do not make it to top 4 and champions league, my guess is we will lose coutinho.  hopefully we can bag the league cup or FA cup as well

if we miss out and start losing the upper end of our talent pool, and our current transfer strategy is to buy up and comers,  we have lost that 'destination' club feeling and we are more of a stepping stone club with a glorious past. 

we have a pretty good squad, klopp has done well and i for one would like us to splash the cash heavy and go for it. sometimes buying one expensive player is better than gambling on a few up and comers.  plus an established top drawer player helps bring excitement to the club and fans.  for every mane or coutinho, we have many failed transfers.  imo we shouldve splashed to get a A list keeper. keepers can play a huge amount of games and is that anchor of a good team, well worth the investment.  then build and shore up our defensive lineup

obviously im just a little fan hoping our team will win but it really has been many years and the constant problems keep popping up.  instead of stop gap measures,  invest and fix. do it fast so we dont lose the top end of our talent pool.
      « Last Edit: Dec 12, 2016 11:17:25 am by JD »
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Re: keep developing and lacking the win
      Reply #1: Dec 12, 2016 06:38:45 am
      What you post, is basically the same for every club in the world outside of the mega rich ones who can afford to keep top players on top wages. The rest will simply leave for the Barca, Real, Juve...etc of this world.
      Sadly we have in the Premier League era, never been the kind of club to splash heavily or in fact gamble heavily on one or two players in a single transfer window.
      We get more joy at the moment cheering a free transfer like Matip, than we would spending 30m on Bailly. For every gem we lose, we inevitably unearth another one, but never do they get to play together.

All or in fact most of us have been calling for a strong spine in this team, one which we could build around and add some promising players to. At the end of the transfer window, we had strengthened in GK (which we needed), CB (which we needed) and out wide (which we needed). The puzzle looked to be coming together, but as we can see, its not always that simple...i feel sorry for Karius, coz he has basically sealed his fate and his head is now on the chopping block...and now due to the problems of Karius, our defence is under scrutiny and then our forward line is under scrutiny coz they not creating enough or putting chances away.

Its a slippery slope as fans, we need to remind ourselves that when things go well, to enjoy it and when we hit a bit of a rough patch, that we can turn the corner without being overly negative towards the team.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #2: Dec 12, 2016 06:43:23 am
      We need to be first class right down the middle,here we go again (Bill Shankly)went out and bought big Rowdy,St John and went through 3 goalies before settling on Tommy .After they had settled in he brought in Willie Stevenson  for Tommy Leishman

,then there was twinkle toes Peter Thompson  and we were near complete as the heart of the side were nearly all local lads.So I am in favour of 3 strong players right down the middle irrespective of what they cost so please Jürgen go all out and get them and bring that league  home to Anfield were it has been missing for far too long.
      « Last Edit: Dec 12, 2016 08:40:02 am by Billy1 »
      friedeggden
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 987 posts | 258 
      Reply #3: Dec 12, 2016 10:47:37 am
      I was thinking yesterday that we are lacking a player that can create something from nothing.

This is probably the strongest team we've had in a long time except at this moment we're lacking a truly world class player such as Suarez, Torres and Gerrard.

It's a shame that we haven't been able to have both at the same time.

Coutinho is probably the only player in the team that I would consider close to being a world class player and even he can be inconsistent.

We are lacking a clinical finisher and a top quality midfielder.
      Robby The Z
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,034 posts | 2690 
      Reply #4: Dec 12, 2016 03:44:34 pm
      I was thinking yesterday that we are lacking a player that can create something from nothing.

This is probably the strongest team we've had in a long time except at this moment we're lacking a truly world class player such as Suarez, Torres and Gerrard.

It's a shame that we haven't been able to have both at the same time.

Coutinho is probably the only player in the team that I would consider close to being a world class player and even he can be inconsistent.

We are lacking a clinical finisher and a top quality midfielder.

People talk understandably about defending and goalkeeping, and Klopp in his presser today mentioned he would be more likely to buy an attacking player in January because of the inexperience of his current options on the bench (a reference to Sturridge's fitness, Coutinho's injury and Mane's upcoming international duty).

But I think that all-encompassing midfield player is still a need for us. I'm not saying Can, Gini, Hendo and Lallana aren't good and valuable players for us. They all would still have a role to play, but if you look at almost every Premier League title team, you will find  a player who stands out in midfield for the breadth of his quality, in attack, in possession, in defending. I know Steven Gerrard's don't come around every day, but a player of that magnitude, mentality and skill set is the difference between our being very good to being the best. I have no idea who it is, mind.

Quick Reply