Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Your man of the match.

Mignolet
      1 (0.8%)
      Skrtel
      2 (1.6%)
      Sakho
      14 (11.3%)
      Touré
      2 (1.6%)
      Sterling
      0 (0%)
      Henderson
      31 (25%)
      Gerrard
      0 (0%)
      Jose Enrique
      2 (1.6%)
      Suárez
      46 (37.1%)
      Moses
      1 (0.8%)
      Sturridge
      24 (19.4%)
      Agger (Sub)
      0 (0%)
      Luis Alberto (Sub)
      0 (0%)
      Iago Aspas (Sub)
      1 (0.8%)

Total Members Voted: 123

Liverpool 3:1 Crystal Palace: In game and post match glee.

Read 20588 times
      Rush
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,519 posts | 1508 
      • "If you are second, you are nothing."
      Re: Liverpool 3:1 Crystal Palace: In game and post match glee.
      Reply #230: Oct 06, 2013 10:32:48 am
      Great first half, wish we'd sort out our second half blues though

Suarez MotM for me
      Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,975 posts | 3058 
      Reply #231: Oct 06, 2013 10:35:03 am
      Looked a mixed bag to me - the aggressive, full of intent start that we've been crying out for especially against the lower sides. Even then though we looked vulnerable and uncertain at the back.

Clearly we've not got the midfield balance right yet but I'm surprised to see Henderson bearing the brunt of the blame from a few. I actually thought he was the standout in the middle. Stevie obsessed a bit with the Hollywood passes after last weeks success.

Defence looks uncomfortable under pressure to me still - and I don't think that's solely down to whomever plays DM.

All that said we're not making and missing chances like we have for the last 2.5 seasons - we carry a real air of threat at times.

Great start - long way to go though so need to keep focused and picking up the wins.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #232: Oct 06, 2013 10:38:35 am
      Only 8 pages on a game we won and top of the league

Can imagine a lot lot more if (God forbid) we lost

well done Reds, flat 2nd half , but as long as the game is sorted on the 1st. no problem for me

YNWA
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #233: Oct 06, 2013 11:05:24 am

Only 8 pages on a game we won and top of the league
       Can imagine a lot lot more if (God forbid) we lost
       well done Reds, flat 2nd half , but as long as the game is sorted on the 1st. no problem for me

YNWA

Having this all F***ing day.
      The wums, doubters and mischief-makers have no ammunition at this moment in time, in spite of some minor off field distraction LFC are strongly placed in the league while our bitter rivals x 2 are floundering, happy days and positive comment prevails - quality if not quantity.
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,298 posts | 765 
      Reply #234: Oct 06, 2013 11:13:16 am
      10 points ahead of our meagre tally at this stage last season, did not manage to see the game, seems as if Sturridge & Suarez striking up a great partnership upfront, does not sound as if Lucas was missed in midfield for this game.
      AlexLFC95
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,393 posts | 56 
      Reply #235: Oct 06, 2013 11:18:38 am
      I was at the game and Hendo is my MOTM he was immense.

Still very worried by our second half performances. Better teams will use that to their advantage and pick us apart.

Overall though we have the three points and are top of the league.

F***ing A.
      TonioLerouge
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,170 posts | 59 
      Reply #236: Oct 06, 2013 11:19:11 am
      Enrique....love his touch and skill but man he's slower than a garbage truck ;D

Enrique, love his pace, but his skill and touch is like that of a garbage truck! :D

He turns like an oil liner, he has very limited crosses, (...)

I actually think his crosses at times are amazingly accurate

Etc...

IMO Enrique can show both an impressive pace and impressive skill in both dribbles and distribution on a good day but is likely to lack one, or the other, or all in a bad one. For me these comments mostly show his main problem : he's not a very consistent player (and in this particular game he was regularly unable to beat his man in attack plus he made one or two embarrassing defensive errors).
      But the fact people can say the exact contrary about his main qualities show it's not a question of lacking something in particular for his role, more probably one of fitness or motivation in some occasions. Something Brendan should try to fix (and hopefully can) before considering Enrique has too limited qualities like some fans think (when he already showed he has every one we may want in occasions).
      Perhaps Enrique just needs some competition to keep his motivation, perhaps a different training program, perhaps it's a confidence issue and the manager needs to find the good words to help him become more consistent, don't know, but he's certainly not a player I'd write out even when Cissokho will be available (who may very well by the way have the same kind of problem).
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,010 posts | 3953 
      Reply #237: Oct 06, 2013 11:22:50 am
      10 points ahead of our meagre tally at this stage last season, did not manage to see the game, seems as if Sturridge & Suarez striking up a great partnership upfront, does not sound as if Lucas was missed in midfield for this game.

It's all good mate, as you point out tho' the midfield conundrum is becoming a very familiar issue. It does have the capability if not confronted, to derail our momentum.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #238: Oct 06, 2013 12:15:33 pm
      Another good win and we're back on top of the league.  Can't argue with the results or the position we find ourselves in, it's all good  ;D

Went for Sakho as my motm, yes Danny and Luis are playing really well together and both are scoring goals but for me we've needed someone like Momo for a while now so I'm enjoying watching him play.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #239: Oct 06, 2013 12:43:56 pm
      Top of the league.
      HeighwayToHeaven
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,468 posts | 242 
      • Don't buy The Sun
      Reply #240: Oct 06, 2013 12:46:10 pm
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #241: Oct 06, 2013 12:51:23 pm

;D ;D                                       :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #242: Oct 06, 2013 01:22:19 pm
      I'm delighted, but when you look at the league table we haven't really beat a lot (the top placed side we have played are Southampton) and we look very shaky at the back. However you can only beat the teams in from of you, so I will shut the F**k up.

Johnson & Coutinho coming back will be good, also looking forward to seeing Cissoko...

Aspas is sh*te
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #243: Oct 06, 2013 01:39:55 pm
      I'm delighted, but when you look at the league table we haven't really beat a lot (the top placed side we have played are Southampton) and we look very shaky at the back. However you can only beat the teams in from of you, so I will shut the f**k up.

Johnson & Coutinho coming back will be good, also looking forward to seeing Cissoko...

Aspas is sh*te

We beat the Mancs, last years run away winners and all round cu*ts
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,270 posts | 2829 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #244: Oct 06, 2013 02:07:22 pm
      But tadders every year for the last number of years were told or we talk about Liverpools failures to beat the "weaker sides" costs us. Lets be thankful that we are beating them. We did drop 5 silly points but that will happen every side over a season.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #245: Oct 06, 2013 02:36:31 pm
      3-1 win, can't complain about the three points, and we're back on top of the table. Can't remember the last time we opened a season 5-1-1. I don't think we played particularly well either, but I think a large part of this is being without three of our starters in Coutinho, Johnson and Lucas. And on a related note to Johnson, Sterling at RWB is not a good thing. He was leaving so much space for Toure to cover that I'm surprised Palace didn't try to take more advantage of it.

I was watching this on a very choppy stream, I thought Henderson played well. But playing Henderson/Gerrard did leave a gap in front of the CBs, so by no means should we drop Lucas, and let that be a lesson for everyone who says so.

We definitely dropped off in the second half again, but when you walk in with a 3-0 scoreline, that's probably a natural instinct. We could have had a fourth in the half too, but Sturridge hit the post. I'm not really concerned in this instance. 1-0 and dropping off is always a bigger concern.

Set piece marking again though. Damn is that frustrating.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #246: Oct 06, 2013 03:35:06 pm
      Top of the league so nothing to moan about.
      Henderson got my Motm vote for his effort second half while the rest of the team took some time off. He had a very poor first half together with Sterling, but i think he deserves praise for his workrate playing in a different role.

As long as we have a fit Suarez and Sturridge...we can stay up there for a little while yet!
      Tadders

• 6,788 posts | 574 
      Reply #247: Oct 06, 2013 04:04:42 pm
      But tadders every year for the last number of years were told or we talk about Liverpools failures to beat the "weaker sides" costs us. Lets be thankful that we are beating them. We did drop 5 silly points but that will happen every side over a season.
      yeah your right...
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #248: Oct 06, 2013 04:26:06 pm
      I was so delighted yesterday. I'm very lucky to get to Anfield the best of times so imagine my delight in being able to bag a ticket for the game. Imagine my delight even more when I found out that it was a ticket in the Kop! When I was lining up at the turnstile outside I knew this was a VERY big deal so there was some nerves about. I was so so honoured being there. I was able to graduate from uni earlier this year and while I was pleased for myself then, it doesn't compare at all to the immense pride I felt standing in the Kop yesterday. When you read and hear of the stories, folklore and history of that famous stand and indeed for the whole of Anfield itself, it does make you feel very humble and grateful.

As for the game - delighted they came back with a very comfortable victory! The first half was fantastic. Should have been 6 at least! I guess a case of complacency kind of set in during that second half but overall from my perspective I was well satisfied with the whole afternoon. For me I thought Sakho was absolutely outstanding! He was my MOTM for sure and Skrtel, who I've been a big critic of, was brilliant as well.

Just a slight observation about the pace of the game. A lot of it was slow, steady and measured as has our play been the last couple of games. Do you think this is a tactic for the moment seeing as we've got quite a lot of injuries about and that the business of 'over exerting' and out pacing ourselves would only heighten the prospect of more injuries?
      Lio Varadkar
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 785 posts | 66 
      Reply #249: Oct 06, 2013 04:30:49 pm
      If this Crystal Palace side finish with 15 or more points and/or 19 or more scored goals I'll wear their ugly away strip with Holloway and his successor at the back - at my planned Summer 2014 wedding.
      Paul_LFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 256 posts | 10 
      Reply #250: Oct 06, 2013 08:12:41 pm
      Great result, comfortable 3 points really and it's great to be going into the international break top of the league. Definitely need to address our sh*t 2nd half performances though, shouldn't be any room for complacency in this league, even if the result was wrapped up. We could've used that 2nd half to experiment another system or give the subs a chance, but we were dire instead and chose to sit back. But other than that, a great weekend. MOTM was Luis, always causing havoc and hope he keeps scoring for many games to come.
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #251: Oct 07, 2013 12:27:20 am
      Seriously who's given Aspas MOTM, I think this was the argument a month or so back against putting all players up who'd played any part in the game!

:mad:
      Nox
      • Forum Kevin Keegan

• 351 posts | 21 
      Reply #252: Oct 07, 2013 12:55:44 am
      Seriously who's given Aspas MOTM, I think this was the argument a month or so back against putting all players up who'd played any part in the game!

:mad:

Aspas needs to be given a boot up the arse not MOTM picks.

Quick Reply