Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

The Eng-er-land thread

Read 11465 times
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 39,687 posts | 6981 
      Re: The Eng-er-land thread
      Reply #23: Oct 19, 2007 03:00:59 pm
      ^^^ Most sense I've read for al ong time.  The problem for England stems from schoolboy level.

Listen to the advice handed down by the parents...

'Get rid of it....'

'Don't mess around with the ball, pass it....'

'Launch it...'

In England we have a problem with encouraging people to keep the ball, use it because when they lose it they get barracked.  It's all about getting rid before someone gets a challenge in.

And that, my friends, is the psychological reason why you and I will never see England lift the World Cup in our lifetimes.
      marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #24: Oct 19, 2007 03:08:54 pm
      i totally agree, id be very surprised if we lifted the WC at any point in the next 20 -30 yrs , and the european cup is a lot harder to win too !

a lot of the smaller nations that were hopeless 10 - 20 yrs ago are now techincally quite good.

watch how croatia can ping it about the park! its great to watch.

now why cant we do it!
      HUYTON RED
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 40,517 posts | 8685 
      Reply #25: Oct 19, 2007 05:05:08 pm
      Not a bad read marc - although I always felt Barnsie was better than Gazza and would have done a lot more for England except for the various injuries he picked up playing for them.

I used to enjoy watching England play not so long ago - the amazing victory over the dutch in 96 and the battering the germans in 01 - but a lot of the time the England managers spend too much time picking players to pander to the national press.

Olliver
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 778 posts | 11 
      Reply #26: Oct 21, 2007 11:02:52 am

English gave in Russian chaos.
      That is the headline of an article of Belarus sport newspaper. So it means Russian disorderly performance provoke English disorder in playing. That phrase reminded me about one of jokes that I heard on TV from Russia humorist about their national team. He said: Russian players invented a new game not football but walking with a ball. Russians play the way, bad way, that cause teams playing with them start playing the same bad way as Russians. Even though those teams play very good in reality.  ;D
       So Russian performance confuse good teams play to play bad. Because Russians play not football but their own game no one knows rules.
       Now seriously.
        On Friday I read a paragraph from same sport  newspaper. You could believe or not. I ‘m very interested in your opinion.
       I quote the author of that paragraph: It’s said before the match Russia vs England Russian fans made a request to a well-known sorceress to help to win. That one assured them that Anglo-Saxons would feel itch on lower half of the body during whole match and it would help Russians to win them (England). So it could be another explanation that England looked so strange.As for me, Russia would never have won England with fair playing. So if England managed to score being under sorcery influence, what will they be able to do without it?
       Is there anything like that version in yr press? I only heard yr England coach is under very huge pressure. May be, the word “press” came from the word “pressure”?
       Do you believe that version? Is really sorcery used in football?
       ;)

marcuk03
      • Forum Jason McAteer

• 139 posts | -2 
      Reply #27: Oct 22, 2007 09:16:11 am
      Not a bad read marc - although I always felt Barnsie was better than Gazza and would have done a lot more for England except for the various injuries he picked up playing for them.

I used to enjoy watching England play not so long ago - the amazing victory over the dutch in 96 and the battering the germans in 01 - but a lot of the time the England managers spend too much time picking players to pander to the national press.

i totally agree huyton, but barnes never really forfilled his massive potential on the world stage.
      a shame really. euro 96 i think was the last time i truly got excited about watching england play, apart from the blip in munich when germany fell to pieces and we scored 5!

& against russia we were embarassing at times.
      sunday league defending!

mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #28: Nov 17, 2007 12:20:03 pm
      So who's watching Israel V's Russia later ?

It's going to be wierd watching the game, supporting Israel.
      Mind you, in saying that, I'm not that bothered if England go through or not.

It might just be the wake up call our FA needs to realise our National team is not motivated enough.
      Too many prima donna's strolling around a pitch, earning 6 figures a week.
      MsGerrard
      Reply #29: Nov 17, 2007 12:34:04 pm

It's going to be weird watching the game, supporting Israel.

It might just be the wake up call our FA needs to realise our National team is not motivated enough.

I know what you mean Tommo and I'm inclined to agree with you, but I will still be hoping for an Israel win and for us to beat Croatia on Wednesday, cos it will mean so much to Stevie G and Crouchie, it looks bad on all the England players if we don't qualify, and it won't be the same if England aren't there next year.
      I know a lot of you on here couldn't give two hoots whether England qualify or not, but I for one will be very disappointed if they don't.
      Mind you I haven't got any time for our Idiotic manager or the hangers on around him.
      The FA is a complete joke.

Like you say Tommo, it might just be the wake up call they need if they don't qualify, what a sorry state of affairs to be in.
      smigger15
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,421 posts | 284 
      • YNWA - JFT96
      Reply #30: Nov 17, 2007 01:09:59 pm

It's going to be wierd watching the game, supporting Israel.

Me !!  As said by others before me, I'm not a big Engerland fan, the only reason I want them to got through is so I can have more days out at the pub when the tournament is actually on !!   But totally agree with everything you've said there Tommo.  Give them a pay cut till they can perform 100%  (Except Stevie and Crouchie of course   ;) ) They perform well enough  :D

COME ON ISRAEL !! 
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #31: Nov 17, 2007 07:58:05 pm
      It's back in Eng-er-lands hands!! Israel 2 Russia 1
      MsGerrard
      Reply #32: Nov 17, 2007 08:12:47 pm
      Well let's hope the England boys can do their stuff on Wednesday, I think I'm right in saying that they only have to draw against Croatia now to qualify.
      Court LFC
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #33: Nov 17, 2007 08:14:46 pm
      It's back in Eng-er-lands hands!! Israel 2 Russia 1

Really?  Aww thats a shame ;)

Maclaren best not F**k it up.  Whether we win our next fixture or not he's still getting sacked!

Get him out I say!
      MsGerrard
      Reply #34: Nov 17, 2007 08:16:51 pm
      Really?  Aww thats a shame ;)

Maclaren best not fu*k it up.  Whether we win our next fixture or not he's still getting sacked!

Get him out I say!

That's not very patriotic Court :o ;)
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #35: Nov 17, 2007 08:23:08 pm
      We're scousers, not English MsG!  ;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #36: Nov 17, 2007 08:28:10 pm

I know Kenny, but we should still support our England team if only for Stevie and Crouchie's sake ;D
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #37: Nov 17, 2007 08:28:43 pm
      This picture rules out how patriotic we are

Yes I did knick this picture from an earlier post!  :D
      MsGerrard
      Reply #38: Nov 17, 2007 08:32:09 pm
      Yeah I agree with you ...........Jamie C was treated like sh*t.
      mrtommo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,890 posts | 168 
      Reply #39: Nov 17, 2007 09:11:32 pm
      Can you believe this :-

Macedonia 2  -  0  Croatia

This now means Engerland, not only can qualify on Wednesday, but can actually win the group if they beat Croatia by 2 goals.

Who's going for Crouchy and 2 - 0 ?
      MsGerrard
      Reply #40: Nov 17, 2007 09:24:34 pm
      Can you believe this :-

Macedonia 2  -  0  Croatia

This now means Engerland, not only can qualify on Wednesday, but can actually win the group if they beat Croatia by 2 goals.

Who's going for Crouchy and 2 - 0 ?

Is that the final score Tommo?

Who'd have believed it!!
      Crouchie is the only decent forward we've got now Owen is injured.

2 from him would be nice on Wednesday. 8)
      Court LFC

• 8,496 posts | 182 
      Reply #41: Nov 18, 2007 01:20:14 am
      Something dodgy going on!

Who would of bet on both teams getting beat tonight.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #42: Nov 18, 2007 02:35:39 am
      Something dodgy going on!

Who would of bet on both teams getting beat tonight.

I reckon Roman Abramovich done a fixed odds....  ;D
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #43: Nov 18, 2007 03:50:01 pm

I'm an adopted scouser from far away shores and certainly agree with Ms Gerrard, if it's not for Gerard and  Crouch i wouldn't even bother to know how England faired. Regardless of the result against Croatia, Maclaren still have to go. If Russia had not clipped the goal post towrads the end of the match, Steve McDoughnut may have been booted out earlier. I still can't forget the match against Russia, if Steve McDoughnut had selected Carragher, we wouldn't have conceded 2 goals, those damn schoolboy mistakes. Read "uefa.com" article on him. I'm lost for words. He said something like  :-

1.  "It will be difficult but I'm convinced we will get the result we need and we will qualify".

- This guy is confused, first he says "difficult" next he says "we will qualify", so does he honestly  believe we will or will not qualify??? His statement sounds too confident to me but it will come back and haunt him , (recall what Beckenbauer said about England underperform all these years - overconfident). If we ever qualify, he will only lead us to disaster. Better get rid of him soon, as not qualifying may just be a blessing in disguise before he leads us to a bigger disaster by not qualifying for the World Cup.  He should talk less and do more, if i were him i'd just make it short and sweet something  like "we know exactly what we need to do now to qualify" and stop mincing with words and got me confused.

2. "I have said several times in the last few weeks, the campaighn was not over until it was over"
      -   It was game over for him if Russia's shot had gone in and not hit the outside of Israel's left post. This guy has got no shame. He should be humble enough to say "we thought it was over for us but Israel gave us another lifeline and i can't thank them enough and make sure that we dont slip-up again" and start buying each of the Israeli players a bottle of vintage wine, not forgetting the coach, out of his pocket.

3.  " ........ we really want the fans to generate a reallly big Wembley atmosphere ...." Bloody h*ll he doesn't need the crowd to motivate the players, we have 11 superstars (most on 60k pd. pay bracket per week) on the field and damn he's the England manager, he and the players needs to know how to motivate themselves and not pass the buck to the fans. If determination and  urgency of our play is there, the support will  naturally be there as well, he doesn't have to ask for it. Don't use that as an excuse if he doesn't achieve the desired results against Croatia. Someone will have to tell him that by winning on opposition ground is where it is truly shows how good a manager he is, he doesn't have to depend on the crowd for motivation. Someone remind  him of Rome 1977/78.

I would imply Stevie's battle cry for the game against Croatia as someting like, to helll with the manager, we will need to redeem ourselves and show what we can do to the fans and we got no motivation from the manager.

Simply said, the reputation of the players is simply too big for him to handle, he just doesn't know how to handle them. I may be slated for what i'm going to say next, that is, by having Big Phil (at least he's passionate with his job to the entend that he has gone overboard at times, that's good, if players don't pergorm, they'll most probably get a slap on the face) may be more effective many times over. England is riding on a "golden era" of world football with the players that they have and the English FA must not let one incompetent manager to spoil all that.

Enough said.
      redkenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 24,912 posts | 1058 
      • 97 - Always Remembered
      Reply #44: Nov 21, 2007 03:43:27 pm
      Anyone tuning in to watch the game tonight then? Crouch up front on his own and Gerrard getting forward from midfield? Could be Liverpool putting England through.... ;)
      MsGerrard
      Reply #45: Nov 21, 2007 05:08:51 pm
      Anyone tuning in to watch the game tonight then? Crouch up front on his own and Gerrard getting forward from midfield? Could be Liverpool putting England through.... ;)

I'll be watching and cheering England on tonight, feel sorry for Crouchie up front on his own though, we do need to win/draw this game, not being very positive only having one up front is it?
      Still think England will do it though, will look good for Liverpool if Stevie and Crouchie do the business.

COME ON ENG-ER-LAND

Quick Reply