Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Squad discussion

Read 10818 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Re: Squad discussion
      Reply #69: Sep 30, 2013 10:41:52 pm
      One thing that we do have now in the squad is a lot of flexibility in terms of formations and tactics even if we are a little light in midfield.

3 4 3

3 5 2

4 3 3

4 2 3 1

All well within the reaches of our squad now although the depth might not be as good as we'd like I do see more options than last season. Especially if the likes of Aspas, Alberto and Allen step in when, or if, they are called upon.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #70: Sep 30, 2013 11:19:59 pm
      Wingers, attacking midfielders, whatever you want to call them... players who can play out on the flank and provide a bit of width are usually referred to as wingers. Sterling, Moses etc. They're just more versatile in the modern game and drift inward a lot. You'll rarely ever see anyone hug the touchline nowadays hence why people think wingers are a dying breed, although they not. They've just adapted to the modern game.
      glines
      • Forum Barry Venison

• 158 posts |
      Reply #71: Oct 01, 2013 08:34:34 am
      How's Coady doing on loan? Have high hopes and would love him to play alongside Stevie to continue his education.
      Semple
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,854 posts | 149 
      • Ireland's Finest Scouser. Henderson supporter.
      Reply #72: Oct 01, 2013 08:45:29 am
      Agree with everyone that the midfield is an issue. Glines mentioned Conor Coady. I think his loan will do him the world of good. Unlike some who have come before, I actually believe he has the talent and drive to break in to the first team. Maybe not yet but he certainly has potential. As for an immediate solution, it's very difficult getting a player of high quality in that role. Someone like Eriksen would have been perfect but he has gone to Spurs. I find it difficult to see a ready-made player for that role but that is why we have scouts.

;)
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #73: Oct 01, 2013 03:20:26 pm
      Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville analyze Suarez and Sturridge Partnership

Listen carefully to Carra.

I loved Liverpool in the '90s, was disgusted when Evans lost the job.
      KobeWorst
      • Forum Ron Yeats

• 458 posts | 12 
      Reply #74: Oct 01, 2013 03:47:00 pm
      Jamie Carragher and Gary Neville analyze Suarez and Sturridge Partnership

Listen carefully to Carra.

I loved Liverpool in the '90s, was disgusted when Evans lost the job.

Dam, it cut off just as Carra was having his weekly dig at Neville  ;D
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #75: Oct 01, 2013 04:50:39 pm
      lf we just brought good attacking midfield in summer

We tried.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #76: Oct 01, 2013 05:24:32 pm
      Diame is the poor(ish) man's Yaya

He's strong, quick, and can dribble/run at opponents. Powerful shot. Dynamic. Poor decision-making at times but if we'd been able to snag him for a decent price it would have added a kind of depth to the squad that would offer something apart from a like-for-like replacement for Allen, Hendo, Lucas etc... Our league match away to west ham last year was a cagey affair until he went off with a knock and we cruised past them for the win.

Wassup with all you haters? We don't get a player and suddenly he's garbage anyway?!
      mcarz
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,179 posts | 1355 
      Reply #77: Oct 01, 2013 05:30:31 pm
      Diame is the poor(ish) man's Yaya

He's strong, quick, and can dribble/run at opponents. Powerful shot. Dynamic. Poor decision-making at times but if we'd been able to snag him for a decent price it would have added a kind of depth to the squad that would offer something apart from a like-for-like replacement for Allen, Hendo, Lucas etc... Our league match away to west ham last year was a cagey affair until he went off with a knock and we cruised past them for the win.

Wassup with all you haters? We don't get a player and suddenly he's garbage anyway?!

In terms of haters towards a player are you referring to Diame? If so, then I can vouch for a fair number of people on this forum in saying that they were not very keen on him before we were lightly linked with him and have simply remained consistent in their opinion of him.
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #78: Oct 01, 2013 05:34:30 pm
      Looks like De Bruyne will be available in January. I'd been keen on him, especially on loan with the option to buy.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #79: Oct 16, 2013 06:02:39 pm
      Does anybody know if Johnson and Couthino are available for Saturday?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #80: Oct 16, 2013 06:04:05 pm

I believe Glen is hoping to be back and Cou back for the West Brom game mate.
      hoganov
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,715 posts | 162 
      Reply #81: Oct 16, 2013 06:11:16 pm
      Cheers man.
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #82: Oct 17, 2013 10:03:18 am
      Both now training with the 1st team Coutinho trained yesterday and is having full training from today so fingers crossed he made the bench
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #83: Oct 20, 2013 11:29:54 am
      There's been plenty of talk over the last couple of seasons about how small/weak and young our squad is and our bench usually confirms this but if you look at all the numbers we are still quite bloated with players who will never be good enough.

Believe it or not we now have 43 players on the books who are too old to play for the u18's and when you consider we have several u18's regularly playing with the u21's, when are the older ones ever going to get game time to improve.

I know some of them are out on loan, Robinson, Suso and Adorjan being the only ones who are actually playing regularly and doing alright.  Coady is having a mare at Sheffield Utd with Texeira and Ngoo being brought back early from their loan deals.  Assaidi and Borini are occasional subs.

There has been a fair bit of upheaval at the Academy since Brendan came in with Pep leaving, Rodolfo being promoted and changes to both the u21's and u18's managers.  It's all part of making the Academy more productive in the future and I don't have a problem with that at all but we never seem to be able to get really good loan deals for our players like other Clubs do.

I hope that somebody is working very hard in the background identifying quality Clubs for future loans because if we're relying on the Academy to produce real stars we have to find a better way of preparing them than we have.

Quick Reply