Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

View from the Opposition - WBA fan

Read 6955 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Re: View from the Opposition - WBA fan
      Reply #23: Oct 24, 2013 03:38:28 pm
      Only 2-1 Stuey, I say 4-1 It's going to be a good day  ;D

They will sit deep Gareth but we have the answer, the SaS set up should worry the hell out of them, even so I don't think they'll be a pushover.
      4-1 will do for me tho' mate and I admire your optimism.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #24: Oct 24, 2013 04:09:43 pm
      1. What are your expectations for Liverpool this season?
      I think a top five position would be realistic, it would be fantastic to get into the top four, which at the moment is a real possibility.

2. What are your expectations for WBA this season?
      I think they will finish just above mid table - prediction of 8/9th place. A good year to consolidate again a build upon with Steve Clarke.

3. You appointed Brendan Rogers last summer, what have you made of his tenure so far?
      Very excited about him as the manager. The opinion on this site that he has 'changed his ideology' is utterly unbelievable - yet this Liverpool forum is largely negative towards Rodgers (this does not account for Liverpool fans in general). He has not changed his ideology, we still play the pass and play - there has not been one performance where there is a fully confident performance for the whole 90 minutes, but certain halfs of game and many phases, it has still been about possession based football. The way some folk on here go on about it is as if he has turned into Sam Allardyce. There's an heir of more caution thrown in, but those who complained that his tactics were too rigid last year are now criticising him for adapting to certain aspects. Of course, Rodgers is still clearing up the mess of previous and it will take a long time before the club is fully up and running with his ideology. Importantly, he has implemented possession based football and the exact same tactics for the first team right down to the youth squads. This can only be great news for future development playing this manner. Give him time and the club will deliver I can assure you of that. The table doesn't lie and we are deserving of our position at the moment - a world away from the disasters of previous seasons, it is mind boggling how fans don't take into context how bad we were for a few years yet there is still so much negativity despite only being two points off the top in late October. Unbelievable.

4. Steve Clarke, formally a Liverpool coach was also appointed last summer. What have you made of his tenure at WBA?
      He has been brilliant - didn't think he would make it as a manager personally, but delighted to see him working so well at WBA. With more shrewd signings they can push on and become a real staple in the Premier League and along with Southampton and Swansea, can show what clubs can do coming up from the Championship. I wouldn't be surprised to see WBA competing in the Europa League soon.

5. What were your views on your summer recruitment?
      Very solid if unspectacular, but given the disasters of previous years, it was good. I like the look of Aspas and his pace, movement and dribbling are good but with Suarez and Sturridge, he is understandably not going to get much playing time any time soon, plus he looks very lightweight for the league. Hopefully he can adapt and, just like Giroud with Arsenal, become a different player this time next year. Mignolet was a great piece of business, he has saved us in games this season that Reina didn't do last year (as much as I love the guy, it's clear that his time was up). Sakho was a great piece of business - he looks like a great defender in the making and Rodgers seems to have solved the central defensive issues. Moses, as a loan deal, I don't expect him to do too much - he's got great pace and dribbling, but his play making skills are poor. We won't see the full effect of Liverpool's tactics under Rodgers until we get more playmakers - ala Arsenal who are spoilt for choice. At the moment, we only really have Coutinho. Cissokho - haven't seen too much of him, but fingers crossed he can give Enrique a run for his money. That pretty much needs to happen because the full backs are a liability to Rodgers tactics at the moment - it's important they play high up the field and support attacks, but our full backs aren't good enough at the moment (Johnson, although adept at going forward, is incredibly inconsistent).

6. What did you make of Albion's summer recruitment? The additions of Anelka, Anichebe, Sessegnon, Vydra, Lugano, Sinclair, Amalfitano etc.
      Don't know too much of their signings this year but I thought they were in trouble at the start of the season. However, all that seems to have changed and the results seem to be going their way.

7. We're early in the season, but what are Liverpool's strengths and weaknesses?
      We can dominate games, but chances can come few and far between at times - again, this is a problem of not having enough playmakers. Only Coutinho seems to be able to consistently cause defences problems with his defence splitting passes. My opinion would be to play Joe Allen and give him his chance further up the field - he only played in his preferred position at the start of last season and impressed but played deeper and he is useless. Henderson, although a rock in midfield at the moment and pressing wise is fantastic, will not offer defence splitting chances. Allen seems like one of a few legitimate choices as a playmaker himself. Strengths would be the SAS partnership - if they are given free flow on the counter attack, the pair of them will do damage, but they will suffer from lack of receiving the ball if Liverpool play like they did against Newcastle.

8. What side is Brendan Rogers most likely to choose ahead of Saturday's encounter.
      Not many changes from last week at Newcastle, but Lucas should return from last week (his wife gave birth). Not sure with Enrique, but should return if fit.

9. And finally, score predictions.
      As a fan, biased prediction would be 1-0 to Liverpool. But West Brom are an incredibly organised team and I fear it will be a real struggle to break them down - not enough creativity in midfield at the moment. Might go on the prediction of a 1-1 draw.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #25: Oct 25, 2013 12:37:26 am

My answers are in the quoted box below:

Hi,

We run a weekly View From the Opposition on our forum (westbrom.com) and I was hoping you would be kind enough to complete the questions beneath. The replies shall be created into an article which will be posted in this topic later on in the week.

Apologies to the forum administrators if this breaks any forum rules.

- To stay in the top 6 at least, push for 4th and remain within 10 points of the eventual title winners by the end of the season.

- WBA continue to impress with their signings, set up on and off the pitch and their performances under Clarke.
      I fully expect top 10 at the least and at most 8th.

3. You appointed Brendan Rogers last summer, what have you made of his tenure so far?

- I personally back the fella and believe given time he will certainly develop us into a better club, team and more importantly deliver a better league position in coming years. I feel one of the problems is lack of money, doing too much too quickly, being a tad too rigid with strategy and being held back by fear of dropping certain star names.

4. Steve Clarke, formally a Liverpool coach was also appointed last summer. What have you made of his tenure at WBA?

- excellent! Can see a big future for Clarke if he stays at WBA for a while, learns his trade and gains a bigger reputation which all top managers need before they in the running for the top top jobs.

- In some areas we did great....in others we missed out and are still lacking. The limited options in the attacking midfield department are a worry but when compared to previous windows i have to say i am certainly more content than i have been.

6. What did you make of Albion's summer recruitment? The additions of Anelka, Anichebe, Sessegnon, Vydra, Lugano, Sinclair, Amalfitano etc.

- Well much like as with us, some have been instant successes and some may need more time or may prove to be duds.
      Clarke has a good eye and his persistence in going for Sessegnon has to be admired. Has been proved right so far.

7. We're early in the season, but what are Liverpool's strengths and weaknesses?

- too rigid, too slow in the middle, over reliance on a few players, no real mental strength to comback when things are against them, a lack of focus in the second half of games and the inability to kill games off or to take chances and ride our luck.

8. What side is Brendan Rogers most likely to choose ahead of Saturday's encounter.

- to be honest don't expect many changes from the last few games.
      Personally want a return to 4-4-2 and can't wait for Coutinho to return from injury and for Joe Allen to be given a run out.

- Tough one. Gonna be a difficult game. Before the Newcastle game i would have said 2-0 but since that result i hope for a 1-0 but fear another draw against teams, with all due respect, that we need to be beating to stay in the mix of my own expectations.

Thank you.

- Thanks for reaching out and asking our opinions!

AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #26: Oct 25, 2013 02:19:34 pm
      Hi,

We run a weekly View From the Opposition on our forum (westbrom.com) and I was hoping you would be kind enough to complete the questions beneath. The replies shall be created into an article which will be posted in this topic later on in the week.

Apologies to the forum administrators if this breaks any forum rules.

As I club I would always expect we are challenging for the title/Champs Lge. But the reality of this team/ownership is that we will end up between 4th and 7th. Probably 5th. But could sneak 4th bearing in mind the objective is to ignore all cup competitions.

Should be a midtable team. Maybe as high as 8th or 9th. But most likely 9th to 12th or so.
      I hope they do well, as I have visited the Hawthorns a bit as a kid when I was in the area and the Reds werent playing.

The guy hasn't done that badly, bearing in mind the weaknesses of the squad. But the truth is, most of us were shocked that he'd been chosen when Rafa/Kenny and others were available. We feel he was signed for his compliance, low demands, low wages etc and that he hadnt proven himself to the level formerly demanded of LFC. There was always an unwritten principle that we'd back "our manager". However, many of us feel (me included) that he was our owners manager, not ours.

4. Steve Clarke, formally a Liverpool coach was also appointed last summer. What have you made of his tenure at WBA? I think he's done terrific given the circumstances. He's very under-rated, and I see him as actually more evolved than Rodgers at this stage. Ofcourse he has less resources at his disposal.

Sakho is ok and could really become good. Ilori is just a youngster. Luis Alberto and Aspas never impressed me and reek of the bargain basement attitude of our owners. Does not speak well for the future ambitions of the American board.

I don't know enough about them to validly comment. I think the blend and balance and tactics will be more important. Thought Lukaku was fantastic last yr and wonder if you will miss him.

Wonderful front 2. Midfield lacks depth and Lucas-Gerrard will struggle over congested fixture schedules.
      Defence has good players. Rookie manager, poor support staff. Lack of depth. Coutinho may become a real gem.

Similar to last week. Maybe some defensive changes. Lucas will return.

2-1 or 3-1 to us. I'll say 3-1.

Thank you.
      Thankyou too. Nice to see a Baggie here!
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #27: Oct 26, 2013 07:12:33 pm
      Only 2-1 Stuey, I say 4-1 It's going to be a good day  ;D
      I rest my case  :kop5cf8koxp6:
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #28: Oct 26, 2013 07:15:08 pm

:D

It was a very good day mate.... nice prediction.

Quick Reply