Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 30th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P26 W15 D5 L6

Our midfield three

Read 4507 times
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Re: Our midfield three
      Reply #23: Nov 04, 2013 02:56:22 pm
      Thats good enough for me.
      Munch101
      • Forum Roger Hunt

• 496 posts | 80 
      Reply #24: Nov 06, 2013 06:02:20 pm
      It just doesn't have any uuumph to it. Yes Gerrard is god (although as the months go by it seems he is finding it harder and harder to carry a game) and Lucas is good at what he does and Hendo is a good talent, it just doesn't excite me.

What we need is a brute in DM (wanyama would have been that type of player)
      We need a youngster that can pull the strings like gerrard does so they can learn off the man himself and replace him. (maybe that's what Will Hughes could do if he comes)
      But finally we just need more exciting players, Henderson works his little socks off for us every game but he just isn't one to grab the head lines or do anything match winning for us....
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #25: Nov 14, 2013 08:12:33 pm
      Amazed that out all of the midfield threads the way in which Rodgers has the midfield playing hasn't been a topic for in-depth discussion.

The midfield we have could do with strengthening defensively if not only for the competition. For me though, when our midfield is asked to play offensively and our tactics don't show too much respect to the opposition it is no coincidence that it looks rather decent.

Its all about getting the best out of what you've got. On paper, without knowing what we know now, would anybody have swapped the midfield that United started with last season to the one which we started with this season? And don't forget that the Mancs absolutely pissed it last year.

Everybody seems to be hoping and praying away for some mega bucks spend on one of the many mentioned multi talented and combative midfielders in January and that's great for now I'm just hoping that what we've got is used to it's maximum strengths.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #26: Nov 14, 2013 08:15:51 pm
      I agree lad, i just wrote this in the Gerrard thread and think it has relivance to this debate.

Midfield is where you win and lose games of football, without control in there then it all falls down

Ive been wondering lately where the decision to move Stevie to a more holding midfield role has come from, because for me its not getting the best out of him.

Is it his decision? The managers? A joint idea?

I heard Jason McAteer saying he spoke to Stevie and he was suggesting that Stevie had said that the manager had asked him to play a more withdrawn role in midfield and for him to hold.. Which suggests its more the managers thinking.. But solely the manager? Or is Stevie thinking that he can play more minutes and manage himself through games back there?
      Stevie has been wonderful for us, we as this current generation of reds are privileged to have watched his career like the ones before us were lucky to watch Kenny and the ones before that to watch Cally, but time catches up with them all at some point and Stevie is 33 now and had plenty of injuries early on for his body to probably be feeling that.
      I get the feeling watching him at points in games currently that he visibly manages himself through them and takes 10 minutes out of the action here and there which isnt helping us have control of the midfield. I personally feel that we would be better seeing him throw everything into games for 60 and then if he is blown out take him off and bring a Allen on to gain control in there.
      I also think he would be better off playing higher up still and throwing everything into that 60 in the final third because he is still one of the best finishers at the club and has a great eye for a pass, also his presence takes defenders away from the others up there.

Gerrard has always been full on in the way he plays, its what he has moulded his game on, its whats defined him.. Early in his career it led t redcards, as his career moved on it led to Istanbul and Cardiff, that will to do things and make them happen, that 100% all or nothing approach.. That need to take the game by the scruff of the neck and drive directly at the opposition.. Rafa saw that in him and wanted to use him in roles where he could do that without having to worry too much about what happened behind him and where he could have a great impact on the game, either wide right or behind Torres he was lethal.. Technically he is sound, his dead balls have if anything improved over the years, he has been tha good he can play anywhere and be the best in that role.. But now at this stage i feel he is limiting himself or the manager is by having him play deep and try to get through 90 minutes all the time, he doesnt quite have the energy now that when his instincts take him forward particulaly late on in game sto get back and that leaves Lucas exposed.

I love Stevie and i feel he could be still more effective further forward, to play his natural game that has led him to be in the top 2 0r 3 Liverpool players of all time, and if now we only get to see that player for 30 or 60 minutes in a game then so be it, id rather see that to try to extend his career than limit him and stiffle us to extend it.

Gerrard at his peak in bursts? Yeah id love that.. He can still take games away from the opposition in 60 minutes then go off and sit in the bath and let the lads see the game out.
      I feel it would help us grab the control in the middle of the park again.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #27: Nov 14, 2013 09:00:26 pm
      Whats worrying is that our midfield three are actually three key players of ours.

Not knocking Hendo or Lucas. Their commitment is good, but you have to question whether they are actually good enough at this level, or whether the influence of Suarez and Sturridge are pinning teams back into their own half in fear of these two beastly forwards.

Against Fulham they looked world class, but then that's Fulham isn't it? They are a team who are plummeting at an alarming rate under Martin Jol. I still think Lucas and Hendo are better than your average midfielders, but are they good enough at the very top level? I don't know. Against teams like Fulham they'll look world class, but when we get dominated against the more capable teams (Chelsea, Spurs, City etc), we'll be going on this endless rant about how our midfield is not good enough.

Such short memories, and I'm guilty for that too.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #28: Nov 14, 2013 09:09:53 pm
      Amazed that out all of the midfield threads the way in which Rodgers has the midfield playing hasn't been a topic for in-depth discussion.

The midfield we have could do with strengthening defensively if not only for the competition. For me though, when our midfield is asked to play offensively and our tactics don't show too much respect to the opposition it is no coincidence that it looks rather decent.

Its all about getting the best out of what you've got. On paper, without knowing what we know now, would anybody have swapped the midfield that United started with last season to the one which we started with this season? And don't forget that the Mancs absolutely pissed it last year.

Everybody seems to be hoping and praying away for some mega bucks spend on one of the many mentioned multi talented and combative midfielders in January and that's great for now I'm just hoping that what we've got is used to it's maximum strengths.

You're right, it is about getting the most out of your midfield players. That also depends on what formation is used as well though. If we're going 352 against a team that has a strong midfield, we are actually pinning our own team back and thus enabling the opposition to outnumber us in these areas. The game against Arsenal was a prime example where our formation seemed more 532 which left us rather light in the middle part of the field. Our best wingers are actually Jose Enrique and Glen Johnson. Yes, I know you'll say they're not wingers, they're fullbacks, but for me they are as if not more effective than the wide players we currently have at the club. I liked the formation against Fulham. I think it'd work against any team in this league. It enables us to pack out the midfield and supposing GJ and JE are playing, will also allow that width in attack.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #29: Nov 14, 2013 09:16:34 pm
      I agree lad, i just wrote this in the Gerrard thread and think it has relivance to this debate.

You went over to the player threads to talk midfield and sh*t? I just hovered the mouse over the Kop board and clicked with my eyes closed.

Knew I'd end up in one of the fuckers.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #30: Nov 14, 2013 09:42:53 pm
      You're right, it is about getting the most out of your midfield players. That also depends on what formation is used as well though.

Basically what I meant mate. 3-5-2 or 5-2-1-2, or whatever it f**king was, was something that would easily topple the more inferior teams but struggle against teams that pressed us high and stifled the supply to the flanks and more importantly the strikers.

Playing four at the back and going for the throats of sides from the off gets the best out of our midfield in my opinion and not affording sides the three central defenders and two holding midfielders that Newcastle were probably delighted to still see for a period after they lost a man and Arsenal and Southampton looked comfortable containing by pressing up high and getting in the face of.

5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #31: Dec 12, 2013 12:30:04 pm
      http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/2108?cc=5739

Excellent article about the state of our midfield three and how far we've fallen in that respect in the last five years.
      bazspeedman
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 15,822 posts | 2455 
      Reply #32: Dec 12, 2013 12:58:58 pm
      http://espnfc.com/blog/_/name/liverpool/id/2108?cc=5739

Excellent article about the state of our midfield three and how far we've fallen in that respect in the last five years.

It's obvious without even reading that article how much our midfield has regressed since the "Greatest midfield in the world" years. It also emphasises how important depth in midfield is. It's by far the most important area to have depth in quality. On the flip side we arguably have a better attacking trio of Suarez/Sturridge/Coutinho vs Torres/Kuyt/Benayoun and more depth in defence now. We have a few ingredients necessary for a top midfield except for a vital one. One/Two top drawer central midfielders that can lead and inspire the team. In 2007 we had four of them now only Stevie is left and he's past his prime. BR knows we need this and i'm sure it's frustrating for him that his attempts to attract such caliber of player is hampered by factors like money available/no CL/wage structure. But if Rodgers can somehow unearth one or two top midfielders in January we just might see those glory days again.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #33: Dec 16, 2013 09:06:01 am
      Yesterday was as good as we've looked in midfield all season long, maybe even the best we've been under Brendan.

A perfect belnd of three players each doing their own roles well but presing as a unit and we made Spurs look sh*te.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #34: Dec 16, 2013 09:19:14 am
      So much energy and dynamism from our three in the midfield and all the talk of how we might get out muscled Pfft.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #35: Dec 16, 2013 09:21:59 am
      So much energy and dynamism from our three in the midfield and all the talk of how we might get out muscled Pfft.
      I must admit I was one of those who thought we would get outmuscled, i still can't believe how much we bullied them in the middle of the park...outstanding performance!!
      ajayi82
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,964 posts | 66 
      • #REDorDEAD
      Reply #36: Dec 16, 2013 01:00:44 pm
      it was so fast and fluid, hate to say but has Gerrard been the one slowing down the team certainly when  him and lucas play together we are lackluster in the middle. so when the skipper is fit them two should not play together. Henderson and Allen were amazing closing down and picking up the ball and moving it about quickly against a powerfull midfield. long may it continue
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #37: Dec 16, 2013 01:12:59 pm
      it was so fast and fluid, hate to say but has Gerrard been the one slowing down the team certainly when  him and lucas play together we are lackluster in the middle. so when the skipper is fit them two should not play together. Henderson and Allen were amazing closing down and picking up the ball and moving it about quickly against a powerfull midfield. long may it continue
      To be fair, people have been saying this on here about Gerrard and Lucas playing together for a while now. I think the manager should have recognised this by now. First choice Liverpool midfield should be Gerrard, Allen, Henderson and Cou. Lucas can be back-up for Gerrard.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #38: Dec 16, 2013 01:40:05 pm
      the fact we scored 5 and could have been more and that Spurs did not get one shot on target means the midfield 3 both created chances for the team and put up a great defensive wall in front of the back 4.A  perfect display from all 3 young men.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #39: Dec 16, 2013 01:42:50 pm
      To be fair, people have been saying this on here about Gerrard and Lucas playing together for a while now. I think the manager should have recognised this by now. First choice Liverpool midfield should be Gerrard, Allen, Henderson and Cou. Lucas can be back-up for Gerrard.

Personally, I wouldn't break up the Lucas-Allen partnership except for games against teams we are/should roll over.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1030 
      Reply #40: Dec 16, 2013 01:51:22 pm
      Personally, I wouldn't break up the Lucas-Allen partnership except for games against teams we are/should roll over.
      May i ask who you would sacrifice for Lucas?
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #41: Dec 16, 2013 02:07:51 pm
      May i ask who you would sacrifice for Lucas?

Depending on the opposition, Gerrard, Henderson or Sterling, at present.

Quick Reply