Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

World Cup 2014 Brasil Qualifiers

Read 27234 times
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Re: World Cup 2014 Brasil Qualifiers
      Reply #184: Nov 20, 2013 05:09:11 pm
      Germany favouites for me to win it. Spain wont be dethroned easily though. Brazil cant be dismissed on home soil and Argentina will be suited to that to

Dark horse if you can call them that these days, Belgium 

Germany
      Brazil
      Spain
      Argentina

Dont think it will be outside those, BUT id watch out for

Colombia, Chile (if they dont choke)
      Uruguay (if they are lucky on the draw)

Really dont think Belgium has a chance to win, maybe get far but just dont see them going all the way

7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #185: Nov 20, 2013 07:54:40 pm
      I wouldn't class Argentina as a potential winner to be honest, they have a formidable attack and it's probably the best attack in the world with Messi and Aguero both in it. However, they are lacking in defence massively IMO. There are a lot of quality attacks out there too like Suarez and Cavani of Uruguay, Falcao and Martinez of Colombia, Brazils, Spain and Belgium etc all full of cracking forwards but they also have a more secure defence, maybe not so much Uruguay or Colombia but they do have a better squad balance IMO.

I reckon out of Spain, Belgium, Brazil or Germany.

Stumbling to sign 30 Million rated Attacking Mids.
      Completely miss the quality one going on a free.

Would have been the perfect signing.

It's a massive surprise IMO, you'd think that with FSG's intent on cutting wages etc and looking for new marketing deals all the time they would have taken advantage of the Honda situation. Could have signed him with no transfer fee and seeing as he is a star player for Japan it could have really helped boost our profile over that side of the world which would of course in turn lead to more money.
      Bier
      Reply #186: Nov 20, 2013 08:40:32 pm
      I wouldn't class Argentina as a potential winner to be honest, they have a formidable attack and it's probably the best attack in the world with Messi and Aguero both in it. However, they are lacking in defence massively IMO. There are a lot of quality attacks out there too like Suarez and Cavani of Uruguay, Falcao and Martinez of Colombia, Brazils, Spain and Belgium etc all full of cracking forwards but they also have a more secure defence, maybe not so much Uruguay or Colombia but they do have a better squad balance IMO.

I reckon out of Spain, Belgium, Brazil or Germany.

Argentina has looked impressive during qualification though, topped the South American group which included Colombia and Uruguay.

Don't think their defense is all that bad either if they'd play Ansaldi, Campagnaro, Garay and Zabaleta. Or maybe Fernandez or Otamendi instead of Campagnaro. But all those players are starters at good teams. Then put Mascherano in front of them as a DM, and they're quite solid defensively. I think that defense would be far better than the one my country had when we reached the final back in 2010.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2013 08:46:20 pm by Bier »
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #187: Nov 20, 2013 08:50:26 pm
      Argentina has looked impressive during qualification though, topped the South American group which included Colombia and Uruguay.

But kept only 5 clean sheets in the process and only narrowly topping the group. They were far from impressive, they scraped a fair few wins.
      Bier
      Reply #188: Nov 20, 2013 08:57:16 pm
      But kept only 5 clean sheets in the process and only narrowly topping the group. They were far from impressive, they scraped a fair few wins.

Yeah, but we already knew it was a tough group didn't we? Uruguay even ended in 5th place. Colombia won against Belgium this week, Chile against England last week. Some of those South American teams are no pushovers, I'd say it's more competitive there than it has been in some time.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #189: Nov 21, 2013 03:13:11 pm

In 1986, Mardona single handedly won the WC for them. Messi has a much better team behind him than Diego had, and that alone is frightening
      Belgium is highly untested to be considered among title candidates IMO. Any team in the top 5 SA qualified teams could beat them.
      Germany-Spain are the big candidates from Europe. Belgium a class below.

The French have a fantastic team, but they just dont seem to work as an unit. If they achieve that before the WC they could cause some big trouble
      Red5man
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #190: Nov 23, 2013 12:37:46 am
      Think it's shocking people are considering Belgium one of the favorites.

Coming from a Belgian :(
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      Reply #191: Nov 23, 2013 12:49:38 am
      Think it's shocking people are considering Belgium one of the favorites.

Coming from a Belgian :(

Anything can happen in football. Who'd have thought Greece would win the Euro's in '04.

Belgium have a very good team and are strong all over the pitch. They also have Mignolet ;)
      linneman
      • Forum Legend - Benitez
      • Started Topic

• 1,426 posts | 16 
      Reply #192: Nov 23, 2013 06:32:33 am
      Anything can happen in football. Who'd have thought Greece would win the Euro's in '04.

Belgium have a very good team and are strong all over the pitch. They also have Mignolet ;)

Agreed. Wouldn't consider Belgium a favorite ( being Belgian as well). It were only friendlies and some of our key players were unavailable or not fit, but I think it has brought some people back to reality.

On the other hand: in a knockout stage anything can happen...
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,604 posts | 165 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #193: Nov 23, 2013 07:01:24 am
      No disrespect meant to fellow Belgium reds. I just can't picture that Begium taking the world cup.

I think the odds will be good to take some bet. Never knows.

Still, if you ask me, NO. No european team ever win in south america soil, yet.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,495 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #194: Nov 23, 2013 10:45:02 am
      Still waiting for Diego to start off a boss Brasil 2014 thread with logos and colourful pictures (including Brazilian, female football fans) on it.

In your own time la.
      lestage
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #195: Nov 26, 2013 06:54:13 am
      Germany
      Brazil
      Spain
      Argentina

Dont think it will be outside those, BUT id watch out for

Colombia, Chile (if they dont choke)
      Uruguay (if they are lucky on the draw)

These countries, and I love Germany. But he still needs to be strengthened in the World Cup level.

Really dont think Belgium has a chance to win, maybe get far but just dont see them going all the way
      « Last Edit: Nov 26, 2013 09:25:51 am by JD »
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #196: Nov 26, 2013 12:54:20 pm
      Still waiting for Diego to start off a boss Brasil 2014 thread with logos and colourful pictures (including Brazilian, female football fans) on it.

In your own time la.
      Me and my mates are renting a Motor Home, and going. Gonna spend the whole month there...and maybe watch a couple of matches

RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #197: Dec 06, 2013 09:57:40 pm
      World Cup 2014 Draw Thread is here, http://www.lfcreds.com/reds/index.php/topic,45546.0.html

This thread is now non-sticky.
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #198: Dec 07, 2013 08:17:29 pm

Says it all really. And he's ours.

Quick Reply