Trending Topics

Next match: West Ham v LFC [Premier League] Sat 27th Apr @ 12:30 pm - Pre Match Topic
      London Stadium

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.

Read 108526 times
      CharlesD
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 742 posts | 68 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #874: Mar 18, 2014 12:23:32 pm
      The enemy of my enemy is......if not my friend, at least an acquaintance who is in the position to do me a favor.  I wouldn't turn down that favor. 
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #875: Mar 18, 2014 01:03:29 pm
      We can continue to debate on who were going to beat and what our rivals may do and may achieve and also all the ifs and buts but I believe  it all boils down to whther the lads have the "winning mentality" to win all the remaining 9-games? Yes, it's only 9-games that separates between glory and faliure.

In Stevie and Suarez I have no doubt both have the winning mentality and BR will have do so some serious brainwashing to turn the rest into winning beasts.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,242 posts | 2818 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #876: Mar 18, 2014 01:46:13 pm
      This could come down to goal difference!!

To be certain of winning it we need to win every game left, thats a huge huge ask. We probably cant afford to lose any and maybe draw no more then 2. Again not easy to do

Our lads should take stock now and say were probably sure of top 4 which is what we hoped for last August. With that achieved (more or less) let tehre be no pressure on us, go out relaxed and enjoy our football. I think with that attitude rather then "were in a title race we must win" we just might get the run of results required.

Our fixtures arent bad especially with our home form. Id be wary of Palace away and west ham. City chelsea spurs newcastle Sunderland all to come. God those 2 games at home v city and Chelsea our crowd baying for a title could make them wilt

We can win it no doubt and if we dont we will surely have achieved our original target and done it by playing breath taking football in the gaffers 2nd season!! Were in a good place people and it might get even better
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #877: Mar 18, 2014 02:39:55 pm
      Our lads should take stock now and say were probably sure of top 4 which is what we hoped for last August. With that achieved (more or less) let tehre be no pressure on us, go out relaxed and enjoy our football.

I think that's what they've been doing Brian the last few games.  There's been no panic when we've been level or behind, they've just carried on knowing that the goals will come and the points will follow.

You could see on Sunday just how relaxed they were, right from the off they oozed confidence and belief that we were going to win.  Yes it is going to be a tough ask to win every game and there's no guarantee we'll win it even if we do as there's still 3 other teams who need to drop points for that to happen but I can't see us suddenly panicking just because it might actually happen  ;D
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #878: Mar 18, 2014 03:39:20 pm
      Champions of England
      Tra la la la la
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #879: Mar 18, 2014 05:57:35 pm
      I want utd to win.  At the end of the day I'm quite sure that most Utd fans will be pissed off if they beat City and Liverpool went on to win the league and that was a contributing factor.  They really can't play to lose and with Moyes under so much pressure a win may be more damaging for his relationship with his own fans.  He is in a very awkward position in that game I would think!   :D
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #880: Mar 19, 2014 02:51:29 am
      Quote from CharlesD
      The enemy of my enemy is......if not my friend, at least an acquaintance who is in the position to do me a favor.  I wouldn't turn down that favour.

I would, when they're neither an acquaintance nor a friend. They are the enemy of our fans and this club, and I have no time for them.

Quote from bigvYNWA
      Said I'd never cheer for them. Big difference between "cheering" and wanting them to benefit our position.

There is no difference. If you would admittedly "never cheer for them" for obvious reasons, what are you challenging me for?

Hell, I'll hope for them cos they're just mid-table trash at this point. Just another Aston Villa as far as I'm concerned.

Yes they are mid-table thrash, but in relation to this club anyway, they'll never be another Aston Villa.

Quote from Reslivo
      You want City to beat the Mancs, even though that would put our position to win silverware in peril?

This year, I was warned not to want Everton and Spurs to beat the mancs, in case 4th spot was threatened. Well they did, and it wasn't. We have all but secured the top 4 spot we wanted at the start of the year, and regardless of the result next week, we'll still be well in the title race.

The result next week affects our title chase the same as when Chelsea beat them. It's much easier to ask Arsenal, Fulham, Villa, West Brom, West Ham, Southampton, Sunderland, Everton, and Palace for favours against City. Take your pick.

Quote from SM
      If City won and beat us to the title by 1 point...I find that very strange.

If City win, they have 9 games remaining. If they then win the title by 1 point, they will have done it by 9 months work against every club, not 90 minutes.

I find it bizarre that the message to the mancs from here next week basically is; it doesn't matter that we've wanted City to win every derby you've played since the year dot, it doesn't matter that you've oppressed us for 20 years, it doesn't matter when you sing about Heysel and Hillsborough next week and every week, that's ok you will still be supported in your derby.

My message to them is simple; No Surrender. The red faces round mancland will turn purple if City are in the mood. That should be a sight to behold. We'll worry about the title race implications later, if necessary.

Quote from RedWilly
      can people stop quoting so my ignore feature can work!

That's why ignore lists are useless.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #881: Mar 19, 2014 05:21:46 am
      I understand the sentiment lfcatw, but really?  I would much rather see City drop points.  Look at it this way.  Remove the names of the clubs from the equation.  Think of it as (At present #4 v #7) table position.  If 7 beats 4 it aids our quest for a title we haven't held in 24 years.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,247 posts | 4931 
      Reply #882: Mar 19, 2014 09:05:01 am
      I find it bizarre that the message to the mancs from here next week basically is; it doesn't matter that we've wanted City to win every derby you've played since the year dot, it doesn't matter that you've oppressed us for 20 years, it doesn't matter when you sing about Heysel and Hillsborough next week and every week, that's ok you will still be supported in your derby.

I'm not sure I've read one post on here saying anyone would be supporting them.

A big difference in hoping City get beat by them than sitting in your house chearing them on to win.

They are cu*ts of the highest order but next week I'm looking for them to defy the odds and beat City as that result massively benefits us in our goal to win the league and when it all boils down that is the only thing that really concerns me.

Our club and the success we may achieve.

redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #883: Mar 19, 2014 09:25:36 am
      I have no sentiments over other clubs and there is only ONE, yes ONE club that I love till the day I die and that's Liverpool Football Club. I don't care who got beaten as long as it aids our quest to glory.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #884: Mar 19, 2014 09:31:55 am

The fuckers will implode entirely without any external influence whatever.
      Damage limitation is being employed such as the obligatory words of Schmeikel protecting his position on the payroll.
      Why the F**k would anyone associated with LFC ''support'' that c**t of a club??
      We are more than equipped to acquit ourselves satisfactorily and need no help off City or that c**t of a club.
      Your blasphemy has reached levels never witnessed previously, you should take your PC and hose it down thoroughly.

That's why ignore lists are useless.

On the contrary they are very effective in removing a real pain in the F***ing arse, an irrelevance such as yourself is quite bearable, if not amusing - sometimes.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #885: Mar 19, 2014 02:07:15 pm
      For over 20 years I've wanted whoever is playing the mancs to win in the hope it stopped them from getting another title and claiming our perch.  Now I want our perch back and if that means I want them to win against city then so be fu**ing it.  If they were still in with a shout of the title then no fu**ing way would I want them to win but they're not, so I do.

All's fair in love and war, allegiances can and will be broken.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #886: Mar 19, 2014 02:37:52 pm
      So here we are.
      Genuinely challenging for the title.
      Can't be hidden now really, can it?

We're on a PPG average of 2.6 for 2014.
      If we maintain that 85/86 points is achievable.

Anyway, as has been the mantra for this season, win the next game.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #887: Mar 19, 2014 03:00:05 pm
      For over 20 years I've wanted whoever is playing the mancs to win in the hope it stopped them from getting another title and claiming our perch.  Now I want our perch back and if that means I want them to win against city then so be fu**ing it.  If they were still in with a shout of the title then no fu**ing way would I want them to win but they're not, so I do.

It's that simple Debs and they, if they have any intelligence, will take that as a massive insult. Your main rival wanting you to win is about the biggest slap in the face there can be. A testament to how far they have fallen.

reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #888: Mar 19, 2014 03:24:47 pm
      It's that simple Debs and they, if they have any intelligence, will take that as a massive insult. Your main rival wanting you to win is about the biggest slap in the face there can be. A testament to how far they have fallen.

It's no different to wanting the bitters to beat city in the penultimate game and regardless of what old baconface got people believing, Everton are historically our main rivals.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,005 posts | 3953 
      Reply #889: Mar 19, 2014 03:51:04 pm

Is correct Debs, to be honest though the gap between the sh*te and Citeh is massive, they've got more chance of winning the Champions league.
      edit: I mean the sh*te have got more chance of winning the CL than beating Citeh of course.
      « Last Edit: Mar 19, 2014 06:07:10 pm by stuey »
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,121 posts | 450 
      Reply #890: Mar 19, 2014 04:20:17 pm
      For me at the moment we are 3rd favourites.  Chelsea, Man City close second and then us with Arsenal very close 4th.  This weekend fixtures are massive and can change the order.  Utd to get a result and Arsenal to get a result.  IF Arsenal win I think they go above us, but then we get neck to neck with Chelsea with them still being in the champions league. 

bigvYNWA
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,795 posts | 994 
      Reply #891: Mar 19, 2014 05:07:31 pm

Is right Debs.

I think it's the ultimate insult we can direct towards the mancs, in some way, that we want them to take points from City. Lord knows it's been the complete opposite for the last twenty years really.

Think about it: Manure's age-old rival is hoping they can take points from their city-rival, because out of the three - Manure are the most irrelevant in all of it. How much must that boil the blood of any Manc out there?

I F***ing love it. Grab some points from the citizens manure, will only help us you sad irrelevant fuckers 8)
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #892: Mar 19, 2014 08:33:27 pm
      Is right Debs.

I think it's the ultimate insult we can direct towards the mancs, in some way, that we want them to take points from City. Lord knows it's been the complete opposite for the last twenty years really.

Think about it: Manure's age-old rival is hoping they can take points from their city-rival, because out of the three - Manure are the most irrelevant in all of it. How much must that boil the blood of any Manc out there?

I f**king love it. Grab some points from the citizens manure, will only help us you sad irrelevant fuckers 8)

I am actually glad they are picking themselves up off the floor tonight, only gives them some confidence before the City game. They can't catch us anyway so who cares.
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #893: Mar 20, 2014 06:21:22 am
      Quote from JC16
      I understand the sentiment lfcatw, but really?  I would much rather see City drop points.  Look at it this way.  Remove the names of the clubs from the equation. 

I can't. The quest for the results we need resumes for me at their next game, which may well come at Arsenal. They won't win all their remaining 9 games.

Quote from bigvYNWA

Think about it: Manure's age-old rival is hoping they can take points from their city-rival. How much must that boil the blood of any Manc out there?

Tbh I don't think they'll give a sh*t, in the same way as we couldn't when the roles were reversed. They just want to win their derby, and get their bragging rights. The league table will look after itself. 

Quote from reddebs
      It's no different to wanting the bitters to beat city in the penultimate game and regardless of what old baconface got people believing, Everton are historically our main rivals.

It's a lot different. They are merely the neighbours. The last time they were anything approaching rivals was about the time of the derby we won in April 87.

I'm not trying to change people's opinions. My lifelong hatred of that shower which goes back to the very first game I saw us play, means I can't put the rivalry aside next week. The sooner it's played the better, and we can go back to fighting the title race.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #894: Mar 20, 2014 06:42:17 am
      No one in this world hates UTD more than me, but you can be damned sure I want them to beat City!
      I can't believe any Liverpool fan would put their hatred of UTD before the best interests of Liverpool football club!
      sebby
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 628 posts | 60 
      Reply #895: Mar 20, 2014 07:31:28 pm
      It's a no brainer,i want utd to beat city,just think of the pain it will cause all them utd fans,knowing they helped us win the title,but it is just one game,if we are top of the pile after 38 games we will be worthy winners and back where we belong,and as i have said early on in this thread,we will be very close come may ,whether utd beat city or not,city still have to play us at home,can't wait :)
      redtiler
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,127 posts | 127 
      Reply #896: Mar 20, 2014 08:36:41 pm
      I know everyone can get excited by the postition we are in now, but we've still got nine games to go people.
      9 hard games, but I think if we are commited to that paticular game we play, we can win every game. And thats the way we've got to approach it.
      If everyone around us loses points, great, but its us we've got to worry about.
      Cmon Reds

Quick Reply