Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.

Read 108565 times
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #667: Feb 23, 2014 08:23:53 pm
      Win at Southampton next and we go 3rd and if the arse lose at Stoke we go 2nd  ;D
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,197 posts | 1641 
      Re: May as well be first...I think we're going to seriously challenge for the title.
      Reply #668: Feb 23, 2014 08:31:46 pm
      Every victory these days makes me believe more and more. Our team spirit is the best in the league, time to stop looking over our shoulder and remember we're Liverpool Football Club and start spooking these no mask ahead of us by closing in on them.

Nothing scarier than the Reds on the march, only team that has stopped us during title challenges during the prem era is the mancs and that's because they had the perfect mentality. We need to replicate that now, I really think we can do it this year.
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #669: Feb 23, 2014 08:45:05 pm
      11 Games to go and 4 points from the top spot... Yes, we are defiantly in with a shout especially as we have to play 2 of the top 3 at Anfield with a few games in-between them to remove any pressure.

We have Utd in a few weeks, then Spurs, City & Chelsea. Personally I think if we win every other game and take 6 of 12 from these we could win the league! That would put us on 83 Points and in with a bloody good shout...

I keep thinking, give it another week and see where we are, then give it a month and we will see and my head tells me to say, wait until there is only 2 games left and we can talk. But the reality is that we are in with a shot..!
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #670: Feb 23, 2014 09:01:30 pm
      11 Games to go and 4 points from the top spot... Yes, we are defiantly in with a shout especially as we have to play 2 of the top 3 at Anfield with a few games in-between them to remove any pressure.

We have Utd in a few weeks, then Spurs, City & Chelsea. Personally I think if we win every other game and take 6 of 12 from these we could win the league! That would put us on 83 Points and in with a bloody good shout...

I keep thinking, give it another week and see where we are, then give it a month and we will see and my head tells me to say, wait until there is only 2 games left and we can talk. But the reality is that we are in with a shot..!

We've been saying that all season mate, "the next run of fixtures will tell us where we are" etc etc but we're still there. 

The belief is there from the players, for every bad result we've had we've come back and battered our next opponent (chavs & city excluded), that's how I remember the Liverpool of old.  It seems Brendan has instilled a "we will win every game" mentality.  The players are actually looking like they'd run through brick walls, they're showing pride in the shirt, they want to win for the fans and are distraught when they don't.

We've still got some issues but it hasn't really effected our seasons target of qualifying for the CL so far and for once other results have helped us not hindered us.

I hear people say we can't win the title with our defense and they're probably right but f**k it we're going to have a damn good go at it so who knows. 

I'm loving it mate  ;D
      Passportboy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,608 posts | 109 
      • Yippeeeee
      Reply #671: Feb 23, 2014 09:10:47 pm
      We've been saying that all season mate, "the next run of fixtures will tell us where we are" etc etc but we're still there. 

The belief is there from the players, for every bad result we've had we've come back and battered our next opponent (chavs & city excluded), that's how I remember the Liverpool of old.  It seems Brendan has instilled a "we will win every game" mentality.  The players are actually looking like they'd run through brick walls, they're showing pride in the shirt, they want to win for the fans and are distraught when they don't.

We've still got some issues but it hasn't really effected our seasons target of qualifying for the CL so far and for once other results have helped us not hindered us.

I hear people say we can't win the title with our defense and they're probably right but f**k it we're going to have a damn good go at it so who knows. 

I'm loving it mate  ;D

Totally agree with this - the players have a lot of belief that we can do well... If we beat City and the Chavs with them taking points off each other then we have a great chance. I still believe that this could be one of those seasons where we find ourselves with 3 games left in the top 4 with 1 point or so in it...

Makes me happy for next season as we have some unreal kids coming through and some on loan that would get into most prem teams IMO...
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #672: Feb 23, 2014 09:35:18 pm
      Makes me happy for next season as we have some unreal kids coming through and some on loan that would get into most prem teams IMO...

We have and they would.  Yeah really excited about next season too, back in Europe hopefully CL, another pre season for Brendan to work with the youngsters and challenging for every trophy available.

LondonRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,000 posts | 46 
      Reply #673: Feb 23, 2014 09:51:16 pm
      good to be in the mix and not too near the top, takes pressure off.

LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Reply #674: Feb 23, 2014 09:56:28 pm
      The goal is 2 points per game. We have now surpassed that. Since xmas we have all said, we will see how things stand in another few games and so on. Those games have passed and we are still there. 11 games left. Im afraid to let myself dream. It was easier when we were looking down the table hoping for the best every week. Now its looking at those above us and worth noting, not that bloody far above us.

The obvious key matches will be this lot, with the current top 4 probably dropping silly points equally across the other fixtures. That said we dont look in too shabby a position.

Chelsea v Spurs
      Spurs V Arsenal
      Utd V Liverpool
      Chelsea V Arsenal
      Utd V City
      Arsenal V City
      Liverpool V Spurs
      Everton V Arsenal
      Liverpool V City
      Liverpool V Chelsea
      Everton V City

**Liverpool V Newcastle - To lift the trophy? Dare we dream? Surely not, but what if, just maybe we cou.... Surely not... But someone has to
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,254 posts | 2820 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #675: Feb 23, 2014 10:22:30 pm
      I have a feeling in the pit of my stomach that were somehow going to pull this off, from no expectation at the start of the season to this

But then I tell myself that eventually our defence will give away 1 goal too many that Sturridge or Luis wont have the answer to at the other end. If we can sort out the back 4 we will win it but will we sort it in 11 games? And to sort it do we have to take something away from our outstanding attacking game?
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #676: Feb 23, 2014 10:25:25 pm
      Just done the remaining 11 fixtures in the prediction league, the only one I've put us to drop points in is the West Ham away game. 

That's 31 points, would that be enough?  ;D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #677: Feb 23, 2014 10:36:19 pm
      Just done the remaining 11 fixtures in the prediction league, the only one I've put us to drop points in is the West Ham away game. 

;D

I did the same Debs... And added them up.. Sad buggers me and you
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #678: Feb 23, 2014 10:45:28 pm
      ;D

I did the same Debs... And added them up.. Sad buggers me and you

Haha.  I just looked at are we home then we'll score 4/5/6 then who we're playing and how many we'd concede, then did the same for the aways.

I'd never back us to lose, not ever  ;D
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #679: Feb 23, 2014 10:47:04 pm
      Haha.  I just looked at are we home then we'll score 4/5/6 then who we're playing and how many we'd concede, then did the same for the aways.

I'd never back us to lose, not ever  ;D

Me either as a rule but I tried to do it as serious as I could do..

I didn't get as many as you  :roll:
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #680: Feb 23, 2014 10:51:03 pm

Would see us on 89 points.
      Don't do it debs, I'll have to sedate myself.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #681: Feb 23, 2014 11:01:03 pm
      Me either as a rule but I tried to do it as serious as I could do..

I didn't get as many as you  :roll:

I've not had a prefect score yet but I've had quite a few right with how many we'll score.  I just keep forgetting we have a s**t defense so I'm on -31 gd  :D

Would see us on 89 points.
      Don't do it debs, I'll have to sedate myself.

:lmao:  No staying power mate.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #682: Feb 23, 2014 11:04:18 pm

Premature exaltation.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #683: Feb 23, 2014 11:12:08 pm
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • 2009 LFC quiz champion (now to be known as "Kate")
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #684: Feb 24, 2014 12:26:11 am
      11 games to go, four points adrift from the top - can you say we've challenged for the title now?

Whatever the answer to that question is, the truth is it's F***ing brilliant to even be in the discussion this late into a season. It's been a long time since it happened. And it hasn't happened often enough for the last quarter of a century.

At home, we'll beat anyone - I'm confident enough in saying that. Away, we're a little shaky (though, City have only taken 2 more points on the road than us and Chelsea only 3 more...both who could have actually taken as many, or fewer, than us had officials not fu**ed us over at Maine Road and Stamford Bridge)

So I think we're certainly challenging and come May, we'll be comfortably top.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #685: Feb 24, 2014 12:54:17 am
      11 games to go.

In comparison, our last 11 games last year saw a return of this;

Wigan 0-4 Liverpool
      Liverpool 3-2 Tottenham
      Southampton 3-1 Liverpool
      Villa 1-2 Liverpool
      Liverpool 0-0 West Ham
      Reading 0-0 Liverpool
      Liverpool 2-2 Chelsea
      Newcastle 0-6 Liverpool
      Liverpool 0-0 Everton
      Fulham 1-3 Liverpool
      Liverpool 1-0 QPR

Would 22 points from our final 11 games be enough this year? It'd give us 78 points.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #686: Feb 24, 2014 01:55:24 am
      11 games to go.

In comparison, our last 11 games last year saw a return of this;

Wigan 0-4 Liverpool
      Liverpool 3-2 Tottenham
      Southampton 3-1 Liverpool
      Villa 1-2 Liverpool
      Liverpool 0-0 West Ham
      Reading 0-0 Liverpool
      Liverpool 2-2 Chelsea
      Newcastle 0-6 Liverpool
      Liverpool 0-0 Everton
      Fulham 1-3 Liverpool
      Liverpool 1-0 QPR

Would 22 points from our final 11 games be enough this year? It'd give us 78 points.

I don't think anything short of 33 points from 11 games will guarantee us Champion's League next year. We may have six points between us and Spurs but it wouldn't take much for us to find ourselves suddenly outside the top four, especially with our dodgy defence. We make as many mistakes against Spurs, Chelsea and City as we did against Swansea today and they will punish us. We just have to concentrate on winning every game between now and the end of the season.
      dunlop liddell shankly
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,012 posts | 3352 
      Reply #687: Feb 24, 2014 02:05:28 am
      I don't think anything short of 33 points from 11 games will guarantee us Champion's League next year. We may have six points between us and Spurs but it wouldn't take much for us to find ourselves suddenly outside the top four, especially with our dodgy defence. We make as many mistakes against Spurs, Chelsea and City as we did against Swansea today and they will punish us. We just have to concentrate on winning every game between now and the end of the season.

It's more like 7 points ahead of Spurs because of our far superior goal difference.

Lose to Chelsea and City, we'll still be above Spurs. Tottenham will have to beat us if they want to finish above us and given that it's at Anfield, I'm confident we'll tw*t them. Same way I am with City and Chelsea.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,329 posts | 6382 
      Reply #688: Feb 24, 2014 02:06:38 am
      I don't think anything short of 33 points from 11 games will guarantee us Champion's League next year.
      I don't even know what this is supposed to mean. If we get 33 points we will be lifting the league trophy.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #689: Feb 24, 2014 04:32:52 am

33 points wins the league, never mind 4th.

Quick Reply