Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 23rd of May and on this date LFC's match record is P9 W4 D1 L4

Pre Match: Merseyside Derby: Everton v Liverpool, Sat 24th Nov. 12.45

Read 12741 times
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish
      • Started Topic

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Pre Match: Merseyside Derby: Everton v Liverpool, Sat 24th Nov. 12.45
      Nov 20, 2013 11:11:28 am

The week has come upon us for the first Merseyside derby of the year. Win this and we go back to the top of the table, even if it is only for an hour or 2. It still keeps our momoentum going, and keeps the pressure on our rivals.

Going on current form, this could be a very tough test for us, but as everyone knows this is a derby and anything can happen. Everton are in great form at home, winning 4, including against Chelsea, and drawing 2 of their last 6 home games. Our last 5 away games have resulted in 2 wins, 2 draws and 1 loss to Arsenal. In terms of form in the derby, we are unbeaten in 6, going back to 2010 for our last loss. There was 2 draws last year, including away where we were robbed by the linesman, but treated to Suarez's brilliant celebration in front of Moyes. The season before had us winning all 3 games, Stevie's hat-trick at home, and Suarez & Carroll scoring for both the games at Goodison & at Wembley.

We had a good few players involved in internationals over the past few days (most notably Gerrard, Sturridge, Suarez, Sakho with henderson getting game time too but the biggest worries will be Suarez who comes back late and Sturridge with his fitness issues). Sahko grabbed a goal for france, staking his claim for a place to start up front and bust out more of his moves :)

As well documented, Martinez had the chance to manage us but Rodgers got the job. We bet his Wigan team comfortably last year home & away by a couple of goals each time.

Everton are in good form under Martinez and could prove to be a stern test. They are playing some good football this year, certainly better than under Moyes. They play a free-er style of football, like to pass it like ourselves. This could be a game for purists! Lukaku will certainly be a handful for whichever centre-backs start, be it Srktel, Agger, Sahko or all 3. Srktel or Agger did not do too well up against Lukaku at West Brom last year so maybe Sakho will be brought back in again to deal with his physicality, and will be buzzing after qualifying with France mid-week. Everton can still cause a problem at set pieces from Baines who will also be a threat. McCarthy & Barkley like to play football too.

In my opinion, 3 in midfield is key for this one. Stop Barry giving it to McCarthy/Osman to play the ball. Press them and we will cause problems. Barry is still a decent player but lacks that pic of pace so if we attack them & press them with pace we should out perform them. We took an early lead last year, but lost it. Wisdom was having a sinker at RB so switched to 3 at the back to shore it up and came away with a point. I'm not sure whether to go 3 at the back this time or not, because we still need the 3 in midfield. Johnson & Henderson should prove to be a good pairing on the right to match Baines.

Even tho Suarez is only coming back on Thursday, I would still start him. He had his rest at the first 6 games. I would start with pretty much he same team as the Fulham game.

Mignolet
      Johnson           Srktel            Sahko              Enrique
                                      Lucas
                            Henderson     Gerrard
                                    Coutinho
                            Suarez           Sturridge
      « Last Edit: Nov 23, 2013 11:52:03 am by JD »
      nnilswerdna
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,879 posts | 104 
      Re: The 221st Merseyside Derby: Everton v Liverpool, Sat 24th Nov. 12.45
      Reply #1: Nov 20, 2013 11:24:50 am
      Sadly I think this has a score draw written all over it.

But F**k it.  Heart says 0-9 to us. :D
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #2: Nov 20, 2013 11:47:14 am
      If we distrupt their flow of passes they'll be frustrated. We should start to play spoil sport, make them attack more and more and left themselves vulnerable at the back. They are indeed vulnerable at the back, it's just that they play the same brand of football like the scums by having the the ball on the opposition half most of the time that takes the pressure off their defence.

Looks like Sakho is in fine attacking form, I'd try him as a CF if I'm BR.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2013 12:30:52 pm by redkop63 »
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Nov 20, 2013 11:53:24 am
      I hope he doesn't but  I think Brendan may go 3 at the back for this one. I would go with the team that started against Fulham, except Enrique starting in place of Cissokho  If we do I think we will win it.... play 3 at the back and we may have to settle for a draw.

Mignolet

Johnson           Srktel            Agger              Enrique

Lucas

Henderson     Gerrard

Coutinho

Going for 2-0 Suarez and Gerrard.

CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #4: Nov 20, 2013 12:02:53 pm
      I hope he doesn't but  I think Brendan may go 3 at the back for this one. I would go with the team that started against Fulham, except Enrique starting in place of Cissokho  If we do I think we will win it.... play 3 at the back and we may have to settle for a draw.

Mignolet

Johnson           Srktel            Agger              Enrique

Lucas

Henderson     Gerrard

Coutinho

Going for 2-0 Suarez and Gerrard.

Not sure about Agger against Lukaku. Would possibly swap him for the more physical Sakho.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #5: Nov 20, 2013 12:06:59 pm
      -----------------------------Mignolet-----------------------------

Johnson-----------Agger-----------------Skrtel-----------Enrique

---------------Henderson-----Gerrard-------Allen----------------

--------------------Suarez-----------Coutinho----------------------

----------------------------Sturridge----------------------------

4-3-2-1. Lots of midfield energy and movement.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #6: Nov 20, 2013 12:07:57 pm
      Did Martinez actually get offered the job? He was certainly discussed, and FSG met with him, but that doesn't equate to a solid offer.
      zz19a
      • The Mighty REDS 19
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,605 posts | 166 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #7: Nov 20, 2013 12:19:44 pm
      International week finally over, yu, hu.    :aaliverpool2xt1:

Lets get back to business and have a fun time by beating the bitters.  :action-smiley-060: :scarf: :aaliverpoolwz0:

Its time to end their good form, eh?  ;D

I think we have an early game as well.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2013 12:47:58 pm by zz19a »
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #8: Nov 20, 2013 12:30:16 pm
      Did Martinez actually get offered the job? He was certainly discussed, and FSG met with him, but that doesn't equate to a solid offer.

He learned self promotion off Dave Whelan.

Being spoken to doesn't equate to being offered a job.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #9: Nov 20, 2013 12:32:21 pm
      Looking forward to this game as I'll be able to watch for a change.  Gone for a 2-3 Reds win as I don't think we'll stop them scoring, just hope that our players are up for it after the internationals and the amount of traveling for some.

Those who need to be on top form are the ones effected most by the midweek fixtures. 

Sakho will be needed to keep Lukaku out of the game, had a fantastic game last night helping France to qualify for Brazil hopefully he's still buzzing from that and not knackered after the adrenalin rush. 

Lucas will be on a high after being recalled to the Brazil side and although his game wasn't as important as Sakho's or Luis's he's still traveled to the States.

Stevie and Danny both played injured last night hopefully neither are feeling any ill effects.  Danny's confidence will be a bit flat as he's not scored now for a few games, Stevie no doubt will be his usual all hero, action man self as it's the derby.

Luis, what can you say.  He'll be up for this absolutely no doubt about it, regardless of air miles he'll start and run riot.

Let's hope Brendan gets his tactics/formation right and we kick this shower of s**t back down the table where they belong.  We go top again if we win this so let's see some enthusiasm, determination, passion, great football and plenty of Red goals.

Come on you Reds  :kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpool2xt1: :scarf:
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Nov 20, 2013 12:34:58 pm

According to his wife he did.

Talking of Mrs Martinez she's expecting their 1st child, due in a couple of weeks, hope everything goes well for you Beth.
      Brian78
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 19,356 posts | 2877 
      • A Liverbird upon my chest
      Reply #11: Nov 20, 2013 01:16:18 pm
      While Id love us to be perfect for 90 minutes on Saturday I dont care how we play once we mangle this lot. I want our boys hoping int o 70/30 in favour of the Everton man tackles and coming out with the ball. I want to see any Everton man who dares takea touch of teh ball chased down into corners he cant get out of

I want to see Howard pressured constantly every back pass, every cross and take shots at him from everywhere. He doesnt do pressure hes a bottler

I want Gerrard to mill McCarthy 1st minute of the game to lay the marker down.

Get into them redmen
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,654 posts | 3888 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #12: Nov 20, 2013 02:12:46 pm
      Wouldn't mind going 3 at the back just to get Sakho into the team.
      He'll be buzzing for this after the France game.

Sturridge constantly fighting injury seems to be catching up on him,
      I'd drop him for this.

Mignolt

Skrtel      Sakho      Agger

Johnson                Lucas                Cissokho

Henderson           Gerrard

Coutinho

Suarez/Sakho :D
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,728 posts | 3945 
      Reply #13: Nov 20, 2013 02:52:47 pm
      Wouldn't mind going 3 at the back just to get Sakho into the team.
      He'll be buzzing for this after the France game.

Sturridge constantly fighting injury seems to be catching up on him,
      I'd drop him for this.

Mignolt

Skrtel      Sakho      Agger

Johnson                Lucas                Cissokho

Henderson           Gerrard

Coutinho

Suarez/Sakho :D

Ha ha I love it!!

Get that big Frenchman upfront to cause a bit a of havoc.

Sakho = Deadly
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #14: Nov 20, 2013 03:12:25 pm
      I have a slightly bad feeling about this game, think it could be a loss. Everton are very strong this season, so are we but derby's are always weird and home advantage makes a big difference.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #15: Nov 20, 2013 03:31:43 pm
      I have a slightly bad feeling about this game, think it could be a loss. Everton are very strong this season, so are we but derby's are always weird and home advantage makes a big difference.

You need to lighten the F**k up lad. If us travelling fans went there with a pessimistic attitude, the players would sense it.

Go to goodison, sing our heart's out and support the redmen every step of the way.

The blue sh*te will taste their first home loss on Saturday!
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #16: Nov 20, 2013 03:32:09 pm

Let's hope Brendan gets his tactics/formation right and we kick this shower of s**t back down the table where they belong. 

Come on you Reds  :kop5cf8koxp6: :aaliverpool2xt1: :scarf:

You've said it Debs
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #17: Nov 20, 2013 06:59:53 pm
      Easy for me:

Mig; Johnson, Skrtel, Sakho, Enrique; Lucas, Gerrard, Henderson, Coutinho, Sturridge, Suarez
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #18: Nov 20, 2013 07:10:56 pm
      First off, great opening post!!

There are a number of questions that BR faces going into this one, primarily around personnel:

1.  Do you change a winning side to include Sakho who just played a blinder for France?  Also, Agger doesn't typically deal well with big, physical CF's like Lukaku so this change could be very likely. 
      2.  If Sakho is brought into the side, I think it would be smart to pair him with Toure who is a better leader and reader of the game than Skrtel.
      3.  Given Studge's injury issues as of late, would it be prudent to give him a bit of a rest in this game (and possibly the next one) to try to get him fully fit and put his niggles behind him? 
      4.  When Suarez returns on Thursday, he will have traveled something like 17,000 miles in the last week and a half for international duty.  He will be jet lagged and most likely won't be at his best.  However, I don't think BR will have any choice but to play him....

Personally, I'd play - Migs; Johno, Toure, Sakho, Enrique; Gerrard, Lucas, Hendo; Coutinho, Suarez, Studge

Think we will have enough to edge them in this game and take the 3 points to go back top.  I also think that Arsenal will have their hands full with Southampton and may well drop points.  It would be great for us to be top of the table this time next week :)
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #19: Nov 20, 2013 07:44:26 pm
      I'd definitely go Skrtle and Sakho to cancel out Lukaku. Sktrle is playing well, no reason to drop him now. Sakho has the aggression needed for a Derby. If we keep Lukaku quiet, I'd fancy our chances.
      It will be a close game, I can see one goal being enough to win it. S@S and Coutinho should swing it our way.
      « Last Edit: Nov 20, 2013 07:50:22 pm by ORCHARD RED »
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #20: Nov 20, 2013 07:53:24 pm
      First off, great opening post!!

There are a number of questions that BR faces going into this one, primarily around personnel:

1.  Do you change a winning side to include Sakho who just played a blinder for France?  Also, Agger doesn't typically deal well with big, physical CF's like Lukaku so this change could be very likely. 
      2.  If Sakho is brought into the side, I think it would be smart to pair him with Toure who is a better leader and reader of the game than Skrtel.
      3.  Given Studge's injury issues as of late, would it be prudent to give him a bit of a rest in this game (and possibly the next one) to try to get him fully fit and put his niggles behind him? 
      4.  When Suarez returns on Thursday, he will have traveled something like 17,000 miles in the last week and a half for international duty.  He will be jet lagged and most likely won't be at his best.  However, I don't think BR will have any choice but to play him....

Personally, I'd play - Migs; Johno, Toure, Sakho, Enrique; Gerrard, Lucas, Hendo; Coutinho, Suarez, Studge

Think we will have enough to edge them in this game and take the 3 points to go back top.  I also think that Arsenal will have their hands full with Southampton and may well drop points.  It would be great for us to be top of the table this time next week :)

Thought about Toure-Sakho myself for Toure's leadership and French speaking.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #21: Nov 20, 2013 08:55:34 pm
      We're going to win 2-0, the omens are there . I opened a packet of cadburys chocolate shorties and 2 of the biscuits were facing chocolate side together twice it happened in one pack . what are the odds . ;D
      harrydunn08

• 5,927 posts | 968 
      Reply #22: Nov 20, 2013 09:09:26 pm
      Thought about Toure-Sakho myself for Toure's leadership and French speaking.

I think that Toure & Sakho /// Agger & Skrtel should be kept together as CB pairs as often as possible.  Martin and Danny already have a good understanding with one another, and Sakho and Toure have the French connection.  Both pairs also seem to compliment each other nicely with the different skill sets each player brings to the table.   

Quick Reply