Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

Rodolfo Borrell & Frank McParland Sacked?

Read 20835 times
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Re: Rodolfo Borrell & Frank McParland Sacked?
      Reply #207: Nov 27, 2013 10:07:52 pm

Disagreement on how to progress from Academy to 1st team.  Brendan wants them 1st team ready by age 20/21, wants them out on loan from age 18 to get better experience, Rodolfo didn't

I know eff all about developing players so obviously this means nothing but to me, Brendan's way sounds pretty good to me.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #208: Nov 27, 2013 10:21:42 pm
      I know eff all about developing players so obviously this means nothing but to me, Brendan's way sounds pretty good to me.

It makes sense.
      Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #209: Nov 28, 2013 02:04:53 am
      How come Benitez did what Rodgers did and we didn't call him a control freak? He sacked Heighway when they won the FA Youth Cup. And don't give me bullshit that we all knew the players weren't good enough.

But what Benitez did doesn't matter in regards to Rodgers, so I won't digress further.

The Rodgers way is the right way. Let's remember ourselves that Rodgers has worked his way from being a youth coach. He is a student of the game from his early 20s, and he has his very own ideas and justifications. I think that's legitimate enough. So cut with the bullshit folks, your arguments are piss poor and they seem like a pathetic, small minded, and petty excuse to slate the boss for anything he does. Call yourselves supporters? You're an absolute F***ing disgrace.
      Red5man

• 9,616 posts | 76 
      Reply #210: Nov 28, 2013 02:20:38 am
      I'm too convinced by that at the minute anyways.

Now admittedly I know nothing of the Swansea guy - see not even his name - so couldn't tell you if he done anything of note. Brief skimming of their first team - how many are academy players? Davies, Taylor, Allen?

Replacing a guy who came from Barca and did bring through players that could play for the first team & replacing him with a guy from Swansea with very little track record so far. Not too encouraging is it. I'm usually a fan of Rodgers & what he does, but this screams of 'jobs for the boys' so far.

Borrell wasn't going to be here much longer.

And McFarland was a sneaky f**ker.

Least that's what I've heard. ;)
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #211: Nov 28, 2013 06:55:34 am
      The Rodgers way is the right way. Let's remember ourselves that Rodgers has worked his way from being a youth coach. He is a student of the game from his early 20s, and he has his very own ideas and justifications. I think that's legitimate enough. So cut with the bullshit folks, your arguments are piss poor and they seem like a pathetic, small minded, and petty excuse to slate the boss for anything he does. Call yourselves supporters? You're an absolute F***ing disgrace.

Good morning, forum friend. Who has pissed on your cornflakes today?  :roll:

Anyway...

Somebody else made the perfectly valid point that we often get excited about the latest crop of kids coming through but hardly any of them actually fulfil their promise.
      However, if we don't get at least 2 first team players out of those that are now 17+ within the next two seasons, I'd say something is very wrong. We have some brilliant and mature youngsters.
      Perhaps Brendan is right? Less of the cotton wool treatment, get them out for some first team experience then chuck them in at the deep end, sink or swim?
      It will be hard on the players but ultimately it's the good of the club that matters and the current system has only provided a few fleeting 1st team appearances of late, despite all the promise.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #212: Nov 28, 2013 10:58:31 am
      How come Benitez did what Rodgers did and we didn't call him a control freak?...

... But what Benitez did doesn't matter in regards to Rodgers...

... The Rodgers way is the right way.

I'm only guessing here but maybe some (not all) are viewing it differently because they believe that the youth system was overhauled brilliantly by Benitez and was bearing fruit with technically gifted young players and... being firm in that belief, they see no reason to change it.

What do you reckon SoaG; "overhauled brilliantly" or needing changed?  :confused-smiley-013:

your arguments are piss poor and they seem like a pathetic, small minded, and petty excuse to slate the boss for anything he does. Call yourselves supporters? You're an absolute F***ing disgrace.
      Listen; I know they don't share your views/opinion on what's brilliant or the right way (maybe they do, I don't want to put words into your mouth) but that's a bit over the top mate... you'd need to take some time away to chill if that's what this place is doing to you.  :-\
      Madscouser
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,814 posts | 67 
      Reply #213: Nov 28, 2013 11:42:22 am
      When it comes to player dev, I don't think its one size fits all, and whilst there are no doubts ways to NOT do it, there are a number of ways it can be done

I hate to admit it, but the best class of kids in one time in the last 20 years is the Utd class of Giggs, Beckham, Neville's etc. But at the same time, that is a probable once in a multi-generation crop of players. No club can expect that again.

If you are being realistic, you are probably looking at 3 squad players every two seasons, and a "star" player every 5

Lets not forget, outside of the Carrra / Owen / Gerrard Youth cup winning team, we havent had a world class player come through the acadamy

Now, dont get me wrong - we have had some good players come through, and players who have played at Prem league level, and made us some £££

Back to the topic - should they have gone ? Dont know the circumstances, so its speculation. Based on performance of players coming through, probably not

As an aside though ... if you looked across all of football, which acadamy has produced the most players in England in the last two decades ? Probably Crewe...
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #214: Nov 28, 2013 06:19:25 pm
      Been seeing reports of some youth players going on on loan, has to be related to all this?
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,586 posts | 7140 
      Reply #215: Nov 28, 2013 08:24:24 pm
      we and other clubs have been trying to "produce" players now for almost 20 years or so. Gerrard wasn't produced neither was Owen or Carragher.
      I have had my doubts about this for sometime..Maybe you can "produce" players who can play in the bottom half of the premier league or the Championship but to win the league you definitely need players with the guts and courage of Luis.If Brendan believes these youth players are big time pampered charlies then that's something we definitely agree on.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #216: Nov 28, 2013 08:43:40 pm
      Liverpool youth changes are a fix for something that wasn't broken
      By Sachin Nakrani   
      Brendan Rodgers is taking a risk as Frank McParland and Rodolfo Borrell leave the club with the academy in good shape

Come 2.41pm last Saturday, it is possible Frank McParland and Rodolfo Borrell both felt a great sense of pride near the end of a bruising week for the pair. The Merseyside derby had just finished at Goodison Park, a frantic and fantastic 3-3 draw in which Jon Flanagan, a Liverpool youth product, excelled in an unfamiliar left-back role. It was a standout display and for McParland and Borrell, could not have been better timed coming only two days after they had been sacked as the club's respective academy director and academy technical director. Here, they were able to justifiably say, was proof of their good work.

It is now a week since the pair were dismissed and still no official explanation has been given for exactly why Liverpool's hierarchy decided to oust two respected and popular members of staff beyond a statement from Ian Ayre, the managing director, in which he spoke vaguely about the academy "moving in a new direction aligned to the overall aspirations of Liverpool Football Club". The void of information had led to rumours of a rift but those close to Anfield's inner-workings insist the departures are simply a case of Brendan Rodgers wanting his own men to have more influence over the youth structure.

As manager, Rodgers should look to organise Liverpool in a way that makes his ability to bring success to the club as easy and as likely as possible, and given his previous role as Chelsea's youth team manager, for which he received much praise, he obviously knows a thing or two about football at that level. With that mind, McParland and Borrell can reflect that the writing was probably on the wall when Rodgers brought in Alex Inglethorpe as the Under-21s manager in November 2012 and Neil Critchley as the Under-18s manager nine months later. Both are expected to be given greater authority as part of a restructuring of roles and responsibilities at Liverpool's academy, a state-of-the-art, sprawling complex located in Kirkby.

How that process transpires and bears fruit could ultimately be Rodgers' most significant legacy as Liverpool manager – he may not win any trophies or secure a return to the Champions League while in charge of the club, but should his changes at academy level prove successful then, long after he has left, Anfield regulars may witness one high-level homegrown product after another performing in red. Concern lies in the decision to get rid of McParland and Borrell at a time when Liverpool's youth setup appeared to be functioning better than had been the case for close to 20 years, when Jamie Carragher, Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard were making the transition from prospects to superstars.

McParland, Borrell and former technical director Pep Segura themselves arrived at Liverpool's academy in 2009 as part of a major overhaul, instigated by the manager Rafael Benítez who, despite the club's success in the Youth Cup finals of 2006 and 2007, did not believe the youth setup was delivering the required results, seen by the fact that since Gerrard's first-team debut in November 1998, no other homegrown player had shown the necessary talent and temperament to establish themselves at that level.

With the former winger Steve Heighway nudged somewhat bitterly towards retirement in 2007 after nine years as academy director, and 17 of his fellow coaches also released, in came McParland, who had been chief scout under Benítez, and Segura and Borrell, both of whom had experience of working at Barcelona's much-lauded La Masia. "The programme introduced in 2009 is the Spanish way of playing," said McParland in an interview with the Guardian in September last year, "which is about pressing hard, keeping the ball and being very comfortable in possession. All the coaches work to that plan."

Those changes may not yet have delivered another bona fide star, but there can be little doubt they are having an effect given six academy players made their first-team debuts last season; with the impressive winger Jordon Ibe following in the footsteps of Suso, Andre Wisdom, Adam Morgan, Jerome Sinclair and Conor Coady. They themselves followed Martin Kelly, Jack Robinson, Flanagan and Raheem Sterling, who arrived at Kirkby from Queens Park Rangers aged 14 and under the guidance of McParland and his staff has developed into a full England international.

That Rogers has been willing to give so many academy players a chance at first-team level indicates he was happy with how the process was working in Kirkby (although some would suggest he had little choice given the paucity of talent in Liverpool's first-team squad on his arrival at Anfield in June 2012), with McParland certainly under the impression that the manager was content with the work being done behind the scenes.

"We have an established style in regards to how we play and fortunately it's not far away from what Brendan wants to do with the first team," said McParland last September. "I've had five or six meetings with him and he's always been positive about the players here. He is happy with our results and I am sure he will only want to influence that further."

Influence it he has but not in a manner McParland, who like Gerrard was raised in Huyton and has supported Liverpool since he was a child, would have envisaged 13 months ago. Then, he saw himself very much as a part of the club's long-term future. Now, alongside Borrell, he is a figure of the past.

Those of a critical nature could point to Sterling's general lack of progress in the past 12 months, alongside the fact that Robinson, Suso, Wisdom and Coady have all been sent on loan by Rodgers as proof that this current crop are falling short of the standard required at Premier League level.

Yet Flanagan's performance in last weekend's derby, Suso's consistently impressive displays for La Liga side Almería and last month's appearance by 16-year-old Harry Wilson for Wales in a World Cup qualifier against Belgium – making the Liverpool U18s midfielder his country's youngest player – would suggest Liverpool's academy are producing top-level talent and all they really need is time. That seems particularly the case with Sterling, who is undoubtedly a gifted player and, aged 18, is sure to get better and more consistent.

Rodgers wants change at youth level. That is his prerogative and during an era when Liverpool are struggling to compete for the very best talent at home and abroad due to their relative lack of financial might and total absence of Champions League football, it is appropriate that the manager takes a keen interest in the club's ability to produce its own stars.

Yet Rodgers is trying to fix something that was far from broken. It is a gamble, perhaps the riskiest move he will make during his Anfield reign. Seven days on from McParland and Borrell's departure, supporters, players and staff are still waiting to see exactly how he plans to shape a fundamental part of Liverpool's future, with some speculating he will appoint Tony Pennock, who has just left his role as head of youth at Swansea, Rodgers' former club. Whatever he does next, it is sure to form a significant part of his legacy as Liverpool manager.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/28/liverpool-youth-setup-brendan-rodgers
      Scally21
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 71 
      Reply #217: Dec 10, 2013 03:25:56 pm
      Frank's back in work anyway. Bit of a come down but he's been appointed DoF at Brentford. Good luck to the bloke.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #218: Dec 10, 2013 03:34:03 pm
      Liverpool youth changes are a fix for something that wasn't broken
      By Sachin Nakrani   
      Brendan Rodgers is taking a risk as Frank McParland and Rodolfo Borrell leave the club with the academy in good shape

Come 2.41pm last Saturday, it is possible Frank McParland and Rodolfo Borrell both felt a great sense of pride near the end of a bruising week for the pair. The Merseyside derby had just finished at Goodison Park, a frantic and fantastic 3-3 draw in which Jon Flanagan, a Liverpool youth product, excelled in an unfamiliar left-back role. It was a standout display and for McParland and Borrell, could not have been better timed coming only two days after they had been sacked as the club's respective academy director and academy technical director. Here, they were able to justifiably say, was proof of their good work.

It is now a week since the pair were dismissed and still no official explanation has been given for exactly why Liverpool's hierarchy decided to oust two respected and popular members of staff beyond a statement from Ian Ayre, the managing director, in which he spoke vaguely about the academy "moving in a new direction aligned to the overall aspirations of Liverpool Football Club". The void of information had led to rumours of a rift but those close to Anfield's inner-workings insist the departures are simply a case of Brendan Rodgers wanting his own men to have more influence over the youth structure.

As manager, Rodgers should look to organise Liverpool in a way that makes his ability to bring success to the club as easy and as likely as possible, and given his previous role as Chelsea's youth team manager, for which he received much praise, he obviously knows a thing or two about football at that level. With that mind, McParland and Borrell can reflect that the writing was probably on the wall when Rodgers brought in Alex Inglethorpe as the Under-21s manager in November 2012 and Neil Critchley as the Under-18s manager nine months later. Both are expected to be given greater authority as part of a restructuring of roles and responsibilities at Liverpool's academy, a state-of-the-art, sprawling complex located in Kirkby.

How that process transpires and bears fruit could ultimately be Rodgers' most significant legacy as Liverpool manager – he may not win any trophies or secure a return to the Champions League while in charge of the club, but should his changes at academy level prove successful then, long after he has left, Anfield regulars may witness one high-level homegrown product after another performing in red. Concern lies in the decision to get rid of McParland and Borrell at a time when Liverpool's youth setup appeared to be functioning better than had been the case for close to 20 years, when Jamie Carragher, Michael Owen and Steven Gerrard were making the transition from prospects to superstars.

McParland, Borrell and former technical director Pep Segura themselves arrived at Liverpool's academy in 2009 as part of a major overhaul, instigated by the manager Rafael Benítez who, despite the club's success in the Youth Cup finals of 2006 and 2007, did not believe the youth setup was delivering the required results, seen by the fact that since Gerrard's first-team debut in November 1998, no other homegrown player had shown the necessary talent and temperament to establish themselves at that level.

With the former winger Steve Heighway nudged somewhat bitterly towards retirement in 2007 after nine years as academy director, and 17 of his fellow coaches also released, in came McParland, who had been chief scout under Benítez, and Segura and Borrell, both of whom had experience of working at Barcelona's much-lauded La Masia. "The programme introduced in 2009 is the Spanish way of playing," said McParland in an interview with the Guardian in September last year, "which is about pressing hard, keeping the ball and being very comfortable in possession. All the coaches work to that plan."

Those changes may not yet have delivered another bona fide star, but there can be little doubt they are having an effect given six academy players made their first-team debuts last season; with the impressive winger Jordon Ibe following in the footsteps of Suso, Andre Wisdom, Adam Morgan, Jerome Sinclair and Conor Coady. They themselves followed Martin Kelly, Jack Robinson, Flanagan and Raheem Sterling, who arrived at Kirkby from Queens Park Rangers aged 14 and under the guidance of McParland and his staff has developed into a full England international.

That Rogers has been willing to give so many academy players a chance at first-team level indicates he was happy with how the process was working in Kirkby (although some would suggest he had little choice given the paucity of talent in Liverpool's first-team squad on his arrival at Anfield in June 2012), with McParland certainly under the impression that the manager was content with the work being done behind the scenes.

"We have an established style in regards to how we play and fortunately it's not far away from what Brendan wants to do with the first team," said McParland last September. "I've had five or six meetings with him and he's always been positive about the players here. He is happy with our results and I am sure he will only want to influence that further."

Influence it he has but not in a manner McParland, who like Gerrard was raised in Huyton and has supported Liverpool since he was a child, would have envisaged 13 months ago. Then, he saw himself very much as a part of the club's long-term future. Now, alongside Borrell, he is a figure of the past.

Those of a critical nature could point to Sterling's general lack of progress in the past 12 months, alongside the fact that Robinson, Suso, Wisdom and Coady have all been sent on loan by Rodgers as proof that this current crop are falling short of the standard required at Premier League level.

Yet Flanagan's performance in last weekend's derby, Suso's consistently impressive displays for La Liga side Almería and last month's appearance by 16-year-old Harry Wilson for Wales in a World Cup qualifier against Belgium – making the Liverpool U18s midfielder his country's youngest player – would suggest Liverpool's academy are producing top-level talent and all they really need is time. That seems particularly the case with Sterling, who is undoubtedly a gifted player and, aged 18, is sure to get better and more consistent.

Rodgers wants change at youth level. That is his prerogative and during an era when Liverpool are struggling to compete for the very best talent at home and abroad due to their relative lack of financial might and total absence of Champions League football, it is appropriate that the manager takes a keen interest in the club's ability to produce its own stars.

Yet Rodgers is trying to fix something that was far from broken. It is a gamble, perhaps the riskiest move he will make during his Anfield reign. Seven days on from McParland and Borrell's departure, supporters, players and staff are still waiting to see exactly how he plans to shape a fundamental part of Liverpool's future, with some speculating he will appoint Tony Pennock, who has just left his role as head of youth at Swansea, Rodgers' former club. Whatever he does next, it is sure to form a significant part of his legacy as Liverpool manager.

http://www.theguardian.com/football/blog/2013/nov/28/liverpool-youth-setup-brendan-rodgers

Can only agree with the headline mate, heard all the guff about disagreements with Brendan and suchlike but I don't think the manager was firing the bullets there.
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #219: Dec 10, 2013 04:55:59 pm
      If it aint broke .....

So to  fix?   

Who ...why... what...when etc etc etc
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #221: Mar 13, 2014 09:44:00 am
      City appoint former Barcelona and Liverpool coach Borrell as Global Technical Director
      Manchester City have appointed former Barcelona and Liverpool coach Rodolfo Borrell as the club’s new Global Technical Director.

Borrell, 43, left his role as head of academy coaching at Anfield in November as part of a shake-up which also saw academy director Frank McParland depart.

He was appointed at Liverpool by Rafa Benitez in 2009 after being credited with helping to develop young talents such as Lionel Messi and Cesc Fabregas while at Barcelona. During his four-year spell at Anfield Borrell oversaw the development of Raheem Sterling Jon Flanagan and Suso, who have all made significant first team contributions.

He will link up with former Barca colleagues Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain at the Etihad Stadium and will help develop City’s coaching ideals throughout their various franchises across the world.

From the fail
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #222: Mar 13, 2014 10:45:18 am
      City appoint former Barcelona and Liverpool coach Borrell as Global Technical Director
      Manchester City have appointed former Barcelona and Liverpool coach Rodolfo Borrell as the club’s new Global Technical Director.

Borrell, 43, left his role as head of academy coaching at Anfield in November as part of a shake-up which also saw academy director Frank McParland depart.

He was appointed at Liverpool by Rafa Benitez in 2009 after being credited with helping to develop young talents such as Lionel Messi and Cesc Fabregas while at Barcelona. During his four-year spell at Anfield Borrell oversaw the development of Raheem Sterling Jon Flanagan and Suso, who have all made significant first team contributions.

He will link up with former Barca colleagues Ferran Soriano and Txiki Begiristain at the Etihad Stadium and will help develop City’s coaching ideals throughout their various franchises across the world.

From the fail

Still no plausible explanation for them leaving Anfield.
      KateMKD_Red
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,184 posts | 527 
      • At the end of the storm, there’s a golden sky.
      Reply #223: Mar 13, 2014 11:12:13 am
      Still no plausible explanation for them leaving Anfield.

Not yet Stuey, will wait till someone writes a book :)
      There were rumors at the time that he was caught while negotiating with shity, so maybe there was some truth in it following this, although he is a great coach, I'm sure many clubs would have wanted him.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #224: Mar 13, 2014 11:32:04 am
      Not yet Stuey, will wait till someone writes a book :)
      There were rumors at the time that he was caught while negotiating with shity, so maybe there was some truth in it following this, although he is a great coach, I'm sure many clubs would have wanted him.

The silence was deafening when they went and while there may have been some disagreement about long term objectives and methods etc, their presence at the club may not have been conducive to somebodies plans for LFC.
      The rumours about them negotiating with other clubs was just that, rumour and a convenient distraction.

Dannylfc

• 5,010 posts | 174 
      • Always in our shadow.
      Reply #225: Mar 13, 2014 01:01:47 pm
      There are some rumours going around that they were caught having talks with Man City.

Seems like these possibly may have been more than rumors then. If in fact they were negotiating with City while under contract with LFC, which I'd assume is classed as gross misconduct.

Always the possibility that it's just sheer coincidence that City have snapped Borrell up of course.

Guess we'll never know.
      TheRedMosquito
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 12,201 posts | 633 
      • Elmore James got nothin' on this baby!
      Reply #226: Mar 13, 2014 02:36:35 pm
      Well that sucks. I mean, great for City because Borrell is outstanding, but sucks he's involved with a competitor. Would still like to get the lowdown on why he and McParland were sacked.
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #227: Mar 13, 2014 02:44:37 pm
      The rumours about them negotiating with other clubs was just that, rumour and a convenient distraction.

Or truth that didn't fit your view point?
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #228: Mar 13, 2014 03:15:09 pm
      Seems there is some mileage in the rumours he was talking to city and that's why they were sacked.

I'd guess his "gardening leave" is now up and that's why city made the announcement they did yesterday.

It's a shame, but F**k them if they were going behind the clubs back.
      manwithnoname
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 991 posts | 31 
      Reply #229: Mar 13, 2014 03:43:06 pm

So my lack of surprise was entirely correct, and that's why they were sacked.

Quick Reply