Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match

Simon Mignolet
      5 (6%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      7 (8.4%)
      Martin Skrtel
      27 (32.5%)
      John Flanagan
      8 (9.6%)
      Steven Gerrard
      18 (21.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      3 (3.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      3 (3.6%)
      Victor Moses
      0 (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      2 (2.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      7 (8.4%)
      Luis Alberto
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Dec 04, 2013 04:02:04 pm

Hull City Tigers 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 39215 times
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Re: Hull City Tigers 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #598: Dec 01, 2013 08:35:17 pm
      So sends the team out then basically says we lost because the players are not good enough is how I read that. Too many mistakes, defence letting him down shipping goals left, right and centre.

Well question for you Brendan, why is Cissokho, Sakho and Ilori not in the team?

Laying blame on individual mistakes is great, and saying we lack quality is obvious but when the players you buy aren't getting in the team what exactly is going on in training for them to merit the starts?

Been said since he came in, but what does Colin Pascoe do? Defence has been awful since he came in, the hilarity of using the number of goals we conceded as a defence last year when we all saw what a mess we were at every set-piece and still are. Spending money clearly wasn't the only answer to this problem, get a bloody coach in.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #599: Dec 01, 2013 08:37:13 pm
      Ideally, I want to be able to play a balanced back-five, but we haven't been able to do that.

Not happy about that. For me the only real reason to play five at the back is when you are letting 3 goals a game in.... oh :(

We need a lot stronger midfield before we can even contemplate going 5 at the back again.

what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #600: Dec 01, 2013 08:39:15 pm
      Not happy about that. For me the only real reason to play five at the back is when you are letting 3 goals a game in.... oh :(

We need a lot stronger midfield before we can even contemplate going 5 at the back again.

Think he's talking about the back four and Mig mate.

Anyway, at least somebody gave a sh*t:

HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #601: Dec 01, 2013 08:39:41 pm
      Our play this season has really deteriorated, apart from the wins against the canon fodder, we have been lucky to sneak most of the other wins whilst being outplayed. BR seems to be in 2.minds as to what style of football he wants to play and this uncertainty is obvious on the pitch.
      I fear other teams will now have worked us out so it's only going to get harder.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #602: Dec 01, 2013 08:40:49 pm

Anyway, at least somebody gave a sh*t:

Yep, I thought he played well and deserves to stay in the side.

Mick's idea of Toure/Sakho should be tried, it'll work in my opinion.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,334 posts | 6386 
      Reply #603: Dec 01, 2013 08:42:32 pm
      Just finished watching the match (recorded). Wish I hadn't, that was an awful display. Boss got it wrong, players got it really wrong. No use pointing out individual performances, as they were all crap to me.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #604: Dec 01, 2013 08:42:32 pm
      Yep, I thought he played well and deserves to stay in the side.

Mick's idea of Toure/Sakho should be tried, it'll work in my opinion.

I think it'll work too, but it would be incredibly harsh on Skrtel who was the one player who deserves his money today in my view. 
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #605: Dec 01, 2013 08:46:32 pm

I bloody hope so :D

Our play this season has really deteriorated, apart from the wins against the canon fodder, we have been lucky to sneak most of the other wins whilst being outplayed. BR seems to be in 2.minds as to what style of football he wants to play and this uncertainty is obvious on the pitch.
      I fear other teams will now have worked us out so it's only going to get harder.

I think over the past few weeks we have reverted to playing more of the pass it around aimlessly at the back, as we did early last season. Maybe it is because Sturridge is absent but it didn't work before, and it doesn't seem to be working now.

Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #606: Dec 01, 2013 08:46:51 pm
      I think it'll work too, but it would be incredibly harsh on Skrtel who was the one player who deserves his money today in my view. 

Absolutely.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #607: Dec 01, 2013 08:58:24 pm
      sh*te !!
      That was painful to watch...
      2 x shots on goal from both teams in the whole of the first half !!.. one was a run at our defence and yer man tried his luck.. and its in the back of the net via a deflection..and all we did was score from a free kick.
      We play some lovely football , IN OUR OWN HALF !!, once we step over the half way line we are bloody awful....
      With two of our biggest rivals dropping points by our half time whistle why the F**k that didn't motivate our players in to going on to win the match is beyond me i'm afraid.
      We have NO ONE in midfield who can take the game by the scruff of the neck anymore IMO.. where as Arsenal do !! thats the difference.. :(
      felt sorry for Suarez today..and its looking like i'm gonna be feeling sorry for him for a while because he's all we have right now that can turn this mess around..and fast !!
      I need a drink !!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #608: Dec 01, 2013 08:58:53 pm

I know what you're saying mate, Skrtel didn't play badly either and said in the match thread that our CB's both played pretty well. I just think the balance would be much better and think Sakho will develop into being the best of the bunch. Playing him alongside an experienced head like Toure will bring him on in leaps and bounds.

On Skrtel, I'll say he didn't play badly, he also has that aura of not quite good enough though, it's sometimes hard to pinpoint but even that own-goal fits in that category. Some players things like that seem to happen to, call it bad luck or whatever, whenever I watch him I think there's a mistake never too far away.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #609: Dec 01, 2013 09:03:45 pm
      Skrtel is one of those players who never inspires any confidence that he is not going to drop a clanger  and maybe that is the problem which can be picked up the players around him.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #610: Dec 01, 2013 09:07:31 pm
      Still not sure why Alberto has not been given a proper run out, he seems like somebody who can who has football brain, unlike most of our midfielders.
      On another note, Allen plays his first game last week after a long lay off and gets dropped immediately, where as Henderson who has done jack all season..............
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #611: Dec 01, 2013 09:07:39 pm
      F*** brendan the joke. hes a championship manager at best. bring back WOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #612: Dec 01, 2013 09:10:54 pm
      I saw Rafa produce teams that battered teams like ~Juventus,Real Madrid and Barcelona and get us to two CL finals.I saw Kenny deliver us title after title.And now I see Brendan producing a side so inept that we go to Hull and get battered,

Kin'ell Walt! Ridiculous comparison, Rafa had many days like today against inferior opposition in the league. Rafa also had the added bonus of acquiring us when we qualified for the CL hence being able to attract the Xavi Alonso's of the world.

F*** brendan the joke. hes a championship manager at best. bring back WOY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

T'ra then.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #613: Dec 01, 2013 09:14:18 pm
      Rafa also had the added bonus of acquiring us when we qualified for the CL hence being able to attract the Xavi Alonso's of the world.

It's not that simple, mate. Benitez had also won two Spanish La Liga titles and a Uefa cup to entice Xabi Alonso. Quality players want to win things, and will be attracted by managers with a proven record of winning big trophies.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #614: Dec 01, 2013 09:16:29 pm
      Still not sure why Alberto has not been given a proper run out, he seems like somebody who can who has football brain, unlike most of our midfielders.
      On another note, Allen plays his first game last week after a long lay off and gets dropped immediately, where as Henderson who has done jack all season..............

Doesn't make sense does it. While I thought Allen was sh*te, but that kind of behaviour from the manager does nothing for confidence does it? As for Henderson, I've given up even trying to understand what he does to get in the side, seems running is enough.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      Reply #615: Dec 01, 2013 09:19:19 pm
      It's not that simple, mate. Benitez had also won two Spanish La Liga titles and a Uefa cup to entice Xabi Alonso. Quality players want to win things, and will be attracted by managers with a proven record of winning big trophies.

I know its 'not that simple' hence why I said it was an 'added bonus'. And lets not get me wrong here, I'm a massive Rafa supporter who has got a very sore ball bag as there is a bollock on either side of this Rodgers fence that I'm still sitting on..

Not that's what I call f**king balance.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #616: Dec 01, 2013 09:23:57 pm
      I think Allen the miss aside was not as bad as made out last week, no coincidence we were winning 2-1 when he went off.
      It's all the more baffling considering the way Swansea played under BR and just look at us this season, makes you really wonder.
      Barnes10
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,631 posts | 88 
      Reply #617: Dec 01, 2013 09:24:10 pm
      I know its 'not that simple' hence why I said it was an 'added bonus'. And lets not me wrong here, I'm a massive Rafa supporter who has got a very sore ball bag as there is a bollock on either side of this Rodgers fence that I'm still sitting on..

Not that's what I call f**king balance.

TBH I'm not a Rafa obsessive; I'm just a fan of world class managers. And I don't think Rodgers is a world class manager and is unlikely ever to be if he doesn't make the grade at Anfield. He should have moved to an Aston Villa or Everton to prove himself before he ever got to a club like Liverpool.

But he's here now, and he has to meet the expectations of a giant club or else walk the plank.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #618: Dec 01, 2013 09:24:47 pm
      On the CBs, reckoned they did OK, but don't think they escape scott free. Toure's distribution wasn't great and Skyrtel had a hand in two goals, unluckily maybe - but throughout the game I didn't think Toure and Skyrtel complemented each other particularly well. We gave away three scrappy goals, they can't be happy.
      At FB, thought Flanno had a poor game, and Jonno not much better. The dropping of Agger suggests maybe BR thought we'd have to cope with an ariel bombing, but in the end the goals were shots. In hindsight, Agger's ability on the ball might have given us something extra bringing it out of defense which I thought we didn't do that well today.
      These days the midfield gets a bashing whenever we don't win, its the done thing these days - but the fact that we had > 60% possession suggests we were not overrun today - we had enough of the ball - we just did shag all with it ALL over the pitch - front,back, middle, sides. And a poor Hull side bundled in 3 poxy goals, and I still can't quite believe it.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #619: Dec 01, 2013 09:29:21 pm
      When you play a "holding/defensive" midfielder who contributes nothing offensively yet you still concede three goals a game, you are up against it. Throw in your most advanced midfielder who is bordering on useless, two wide midfielders who don't do a tap and it's going to be a long day.

I think we need to talk about Gerrard, and how sh*te we would be if we didn't have him. We had five midfield today, and the four other than him were dogsh!t.

Poor post. We are conceding off long balls and set plays, we are not being cut to shreds. Not every loss is Lucas' fault.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #620: Dec 01, 2013 09:30:10 pm
       Before Brendan came we had finsihed comfortably outside the Champions League spots for three seasons running, under three different managers. The squad had demonstrated fairly clearly that they were some way below being the best in the Premiership, let alone competitive in Europe. Given that, it seems a bit daft to me to have a go at the current manager when he has us currently in with a chance of having our best season in the league for the last five. Not saying we weren't sh!te today because we were, but unexplainable horrific performances have characterised our play under Rafa, the King and Hodgson. It's hardly something new.

Quick Reply