Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match

Simon Mignolet
      5 (6%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      7 (8.4%)
      Martin Skrtel
      27 (32.5%)
      John Flanagan
      8 (9.6%)
      Steven Gerrard
      18 (21.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      3 (3.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      3 (3.6%)
      Victor Moses
      0 (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      2 (2.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      7 (8.4%)
      Luis Alberto
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Dec 04, 2013 04:02:04 pm

Hull City Tigers 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 38959 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Re: Hull City Tigers 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #644: Dec 01, 2013 10:51:38 pm
      Just finished watching the match and not sure why I put myself through that to be honest but after missing the last couple I wanted to see for myself how we got on.

Our worst performance of the season was what it was and the players and the manager must share the blame for a defeat that should never have happened.

First time Hull have beaten us and they've now scored a quarter of their entire league goals against us.

I think the manager got it wrong today and to be out thought by a manager such as Steve Bruce is a poor position to be in but that is what happened but Brendan was also let down by the players today as Skrtel apart they were f**king tragic. I'd also absolve Flanno of any real 'blame' as he is an inexperienced player playing out of position because the manager decided to loan in sh*te to cover his first choice left back. Also Glen is a million times more a LB than Flanno so I'm mystified why the experienced player isn't played out of position instead of the kid.

But the real problems, strange to say given we lost by three goals, was further up the pitch and the midfield was as much a mess as it has been at times this season. Lucas was non exisitent and offered absolute nothing to the game. Gerrard was sh*te as well and his goal apart offered next to nothing but at least he did show a bit of desire to burst forward once or twice during the game. Hendo was supposed to be the forward of the three but offered nothing as well and ended up playing that strange left sided position when Coutinho came on.

You know you have problems in midfield when Tom Huddlestone is strutting around like some sort of poor man's Alonso and to look that poor in the middle of that park against a Steve Bruce Hull side is very hard to take indeed.

Up front was also sh*te as well. Brendan went back to a three and it was one of those games wher Saurez looked to his left, looked to his right and thought these are sh*te and I have to try and do it all myself today. He may well be right and that Moses and Raheem were sh*te but Luis wasn;t much better and that attitude of trying to do everything didn't come off today and made our front three look as ineffective as I've seen it in quite some time.

Also the side was very unbalanced today with Flanno on the left, Skrtel suddenly moved to left side CB and not one left footed player in the 11 was a very strange move. The back four didn't do anything massively wrong but the balance of it seriously hampered our ability to start attacks from the back. I'm not sure why Brendan chosse to suddenly bring back Kolo and move Skrtel but it's a move I wouldn't have made and I actually don't think Toure had that great a game and gave the ball away quite a few times. With Flanno playing on his wrong side it was a perfect time to use oen of our left sided centre backs but the manager chose to change it for some bizarre reason.

Coutinho showed a bit of what we were missing when he came on but, and what is becoming a theme, his introduction was far too late and I'm not sure what Brendan seen in those first 20 mins after half time to be satisfied enough not to make a chaneg to then.

Alberto had a couple of decent touches and always looked forward with the ball again although he did get caught out which could have leaded to another goal.

All in all a piss poor effort from all involved.

« Last Edit: Dec 01, 2013 11:06:40 pm by srslfc »
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #645: Dec 01, 2013 10:53:22 pm
      Well for the Hull game i wouldn't have played Sterling from the start so that's Aspas getting the nod right there.

As for Alberto, as much as i appreciate Henderson's industry i think our midfield lacks such guile so that's Luis A getting a 1st 11 selection.

I would also drop Lucas or Gerrard for Allen.

Of course its a risk and hindsight is a wonderful thing but the fact that the Boss seems to rotate the defense and not the midfielders is a great worry....we can all see how poorly we have performed in that section of the pitch for most of the season.
      Why would you drop Lucas? Thought he played really well today  :confused-smiley-013:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #646: Dec 01, 2013 10:54:23 pm
      I'm not saying it is "Lucas' fault" that we lose, or that we concede goals. What I am saying is that his inclusion is hardly making us watertight at the back, so it's probably worth asking the question as to whether it's worth even playing an out and out, 100% defensive midfielder. 

It's a very valid point Mick and as much as I'm a fan of Lucas I see the point you're making.

Lucas was sh*t today, as was Gerrard and Hendo, but I'm with you in that I think we only need to have one of the two playing as they both do the exact same things in this side at the minute and if Brendan can't see it then we definitely have a problem.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,595 posts | 3839 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #647: Dec 01, 2013 10:56:07 pm
      Best defenders on the bench.
      Ideal game to start Alberto.

All wrong today.

So, of all the players brought in this summer. Only Mignolet seems to hold a spot.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #648: Dec 01, 2013 10:58:12 pm
      Am I the only person on here who thought Lucas done his job?
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #649: Dec 01, 2013 11:01:42 pm

I think you might be Gareth mate.

He was bloody tragic.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #650: Dec 01, 2013 11:03:48 pm
      I think the manager got it wrong today and to be out thought by a manager such as Steve Bruce is a porr position to be in but that is what happened but Brendan was also let down by the players today as Skrtel apart they were f**king tragic.

Interesting you say that, after watching MotD and seeing the goals again Skrtel was as much at fault for them as anyone.

Own goal, shouldn't have been heading that ball.

The first, deflected off his back heel, why turn your back to a shot?

The second goal I think he got confused which side he was playing and ended up challenging for the header with Toure in Toure's space, that ended up with them both out of the game for the block.

So to single him out to avoid criticism is interesting Si.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #651: Dec 01, 2013 11:04:09 pm

No your not. some people just cant leave the lad alone. He was not the worst player by any means. Getting torn apart by Hull takes some explaining .
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #652: Dec 01, 2013 11:05:55 pm

Nope, I didn't see him do much great, but didn't see him have a hand in any of our problems either. Seems a strange one this.

Again first goal, he goes to close the man down after Moses completely fucks up, gets it passed around him with a 1-2 so you could lay blame there.

2nd goal, he is the one that gets the challenge in on the edge of the box, the next phase of play someone should be picking up the other Hull player who slots it in.

3rd goal, he's the only midfielder in sight! There's no left back in sight either and he is trying to cover for both positions and gets nearest to the player, so strange but gotta lay the blame somewhere I suppose.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #653: Dec 01, 2013 11:10:35 pm
      Interesting you say that, after watching MotD and seeing the goals again Skrtel was as much at fault for them as anyone.

Own goal, shouldn't have been heading that ball.

I think that was an instinctive reaction to try and head the ball away from the target.

The first, deflected off his back heel, why turn your back to a shot?

Possibly should have faced the ball but if we are to criticise every player for doing this there won't be many left to choose from.

The second goal I think he got confused which side he was playing and ended up challenging for the header with Toure in Toure's space, that ended up with them both out of the game for the block.

Possibly but then if he's suddenly asked to play left side when for the vast majority of his time here, including all of this season where he has been one of our best defenders, he has played right side then maybe it's a mistake that is as much the managers as his?

waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #654: Dec 01, 2013 11:12:53 pm
      just watched MOTD and it didn't get any better. Moses complained he needed games to get his form right ,cant see him playing again anytime soon.What has happened to Sterling he is a year older a bit stronger but a shadow of what we saw last season.
      gareth g
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 15,469 posts | 366 
      Reply #655: Dec 01, 2013 11:13:28 pm
      I think you might be Gareth mate.

He was bloody tragic.
      Do you really think so? I thought he done really well in a sh*t perforamance today.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #656: Dec 01, 2013 11:14:49 pm

I rate Lucas very highly and on his day he is such a great player for us but those days have not been that often this season and i think a kick up the back side for entire midfield is whats required rather than constantly changing the defense.

How the boss keeps praising Stevie is beyond me.
      One of the top 5 players top ever pull on the Red shirt but he has been coasting for quite a while now.

yes the stats show he has been great but the performances and ability to drag others up to his supposed standards ave been lacking.

We need a change.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #657: Dec 01, 2013 11:15:04 pm
      I think that was an instinctive reaction to try and head the ball away from the target.

Possibly should have faced the ball but if we are to criticise every player for doing this there won't be many left to choose from.

Possibly but then if he's suddenly asked to play left side when for the vast majority of his time here, including all of this season where he has been one of our best defenders, he has played right side then maybe it's a mistake that is as much the managers as his?

I agree the blame on the third lies with Brendan too, the change was wrong in putting him on that side, in fact it was plain weird to be honest. Toure was the incoming player why move a settled one?

Also agree if we criticise that we wont have many left mate, just that you single him out to avoid criticism. Being honest with you on first watch I thought neither deserved much blame, but on watching the goals again, perhaps Skrtel should shoulder at least some of it considering he was involved in all 3 :)

Don't know mate, just feel so flat and disappointed after that. To say it feels as far away as ever wouldn't be far wrong.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #658: Dec 01, 2013 11:16:00 pm
      Do you really think so? I thought he done really well in a sh*t perforamance today.

I do mate.

I'm a big supporter of Lucas but he offered nothing today but he was ably assisted by Gerrard and Hendo in the offering damn all stakes.

Midfield was a pile of sh*te yet again.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #659: Dec 01, 2013 11:19:19 pm
      I do mate.

I'm a big supporter of Lucas but he offered nothing today but he was ably assisted by Gerrard and Hendo in the offering damn all stakes.

Midfield was a pile of sh*te yet again.
      I don't really know how to describe the midfield today, they didn't create much the didn't stop much either.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #660: Dec 01, 2013 11:19:42 pm
      After not being bothered about MOTM poll I went for Flanno simply because he didn;t do too much wrong and I think it's a bit unfair to keep asking a lads to play on his wrong side when you have a full international who actually can play equally as well there as in his normal position in the team. He also wasn't helped by the strange decision to play Skrtel on his wrong side as well for the first time I can remember.

Also just seen 23% went for Gerrard.

A goal really can mask a mutitude of sins.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #661: Dec 01, 2013 11:20:38 pm
      I don't really know how to describe the midfield today, they didn't create much the didn't stop much either.

Non existent is the phrase your looking for Walton.

When Huddlestone and Livermore look that good you know your own midfield is severly lacking.
      waltonl4
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 37,585 posts | 7139 
      Reply #662: Dec 01, 2013 11:24:01 pm
      Non existent is the phrase your looking for Walton.

When Huddlestone and Livermore look that good you know your own midfield is severly lacking.
      that's the very scary thing we let them dominate us, a team up from the championship. Our last away win was against manager-less Sunderland tough few weeks coming up.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #663: Dec 01, 2013 11:26:20 pm
      After not being bothered about MOTM poll I went for Flanno simply because he didn;t do too much wrong and I think it's a bit unfair to keep asking a lads to play on his wrong side when you have a full international who actually can play equally as well there as in his normal position in the team. He also wasn't helped by the strange decision to play Skrtel on his wrong side as well for the first time I can remember.

Also just seen 23% went for Gerrard.

A goal really can mask a mutitude of sins.

In the match thread when it went in all you could hear was "we need to talk about Gerrard".

Well yes we still do, I agree he was poor, think he was the most creative and needed pushing forward but poor again.

Where you single out Lucas as being dire, where was Gerrard on any of their goals? Nowhere to be seen.

Where was Gerrard going forward in open play? Nowhere to be seen in their half!

He only went forward after we went 2-1 down, granted they scored again after that but it was bloody Huddlestone trotting up from his own half who finished it, who was tracking him?

Don't worry though, Brendan sees a future for Stevie as a CB....
      Joey B
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 1,664 posts | 46 
      Reply #664: Dec 01, 2013 11:30:50 pm
      Q: Why is it often said that we have the best supporters in the world?
      A:Its obvious "they" don't come on this forum after a loss..
      I despair. :f_wah:
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,145 posts | 4897 
      Reply #665: Dec 01, 2013 11:32:35 pm
      In the match thread when it went in all you could hear was "we need to talk about Gerrard".

I seen that while I was at work Luke and made me chuckle.

Even more so when I watched the game as if people think that performance from Gerrard means we don't have to talk about his role and we don't have a problem in midfield then they really must have watched a different game than I did.

The only credit I'll give him, apart from the goal, was that he did try and burst forward a few times to get on the end of a couple of passes.

Where you single out Lucas as being dire, where was Gerrard on any of their goals? Nowhere to be seen.

I have singled Lucas out as I thought he was terrible but you're right in that Gerrard was, yet again, chasing shadows when they were attacking our goal.

Both of them were piss poor and this was against the likes of Huddlestone and Livermore.

Bring on Yaya, Fernadinho, Ramires, Sandro and the like eh!
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #666: Dec 01, 2013 11:35:41 pm
      Bring on Yaya, Fernadinho, Ramires, Sandro and the like eh!

I honestly really worry what the score is going to be against City.

Hopefully we pull a performance like the West Brom game out and we give them a real game, but I wont lie at the moment I think we'll get bloody hammered.

Quick Reply