Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Brighton [Premier League] Sun 31st Mar @ 2:00 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of March and on this date LFC's match record is P24 W11 D6 L7

LFC Reds Poll

Q. LFC Man of the Match

Simon Mignolet
      5 (6%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Kolo Toure
      7 (8.4%)
      Martin Skrtel
      27 (32.5%)
      John Flanagan
      8 (9.6%)
      Steven Gerrard
      18 (21.7%)
      Lucas Leiva
      3 (3.6%)
      Luis Suarez
      3 (3.6%)
      Victor Moses
      0 (0%)
      Raheem Sterling
      2 (2.4%)
      Jordan Henderson
      2 (2.4%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      7 (8.4%)
      Luis Alberto
      1 (1.2%)

Total Members Voted: 82

Voting closed: Dec 04, 2013 04:02:04 pm

Hull City Tigers 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate

Read 38589 times
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Re: Hull City Tigers 3-1 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Debate
      Reply #575: Dec 01, 2013 06:33:13 pm
      More than the result it was the performance that crushed me. Hull started the game as if they expected to be beaten, but they stuck to their plan. We played like it was just a matter of time before we won , got lost in possession football with no creativity or end result and lost the plot.

Too many players not willing to take responsibility to make something happen.

I am not sure what Brendan says to the team at half time, but he either needs to delegate the job or get some new material as it just ain't  working. Almost every second half performance this season has been much worse than the first half.... even when we have played crap in the first half!

The whole team including Brendan and the coaches need to look at that performance and ensure that it never happens again.

I am not sure who I would drop for the next match.... there where so many candidates.

Son Of A Gun
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,187 posts | 1269 
      Reply #576: Dec 01, 2013 06:35:04 pm
      Hopefully some serious issues that were highlighted today are addressed in January.

FSG cannot rely on loaning players - Moses proving he is far from good enough. Mourinho may be sceptical letting a player go to a rival, but he probably knew how crap Moses was.

I was optmistic about him, didn't know much about him but he played for Chelsea and the Chelsea fans seemed quite favourable to him. His attitude stinks, he can't pass and his technical ability is poor. Should be nowhere near a side that plays such football under Rodgers. It's clear why Cissokho and Moses were brought on loan instead of being bought. Utter travesties and I cannot wait until such dead wood goes back to their clubs.

The squad is very thin when just one of our key players are injured. It's been like this for a couple of years now, but now it's time to step up and buy real quality. I think Rodger's has got the right idea about who he wants to come in, and he knows as well as the fans do that many players are far from good enough. Basically stated that a couple of weeks ago, but his comments now are even more relevant after today's performance.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #577: Dec 01, 2013 06:45:43 pm
      I'm going to watch the game later before posting too much on here but losing at Hull is a sh*te  result no matter what way anyone chooses to look at it.

The line up surprised me but I thought it would be good enough to win the game although I'm no fan of changing the back four, especially the two CB, as much as Brendan does. No sense behind bringing Toure in for this unless he was going with a back three.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #578: Dec 01, 2013 06:54:06 pm
      I'm going to watch the game later before posting too much on here but losing at Hull is a sh*te  result no matter what way anyone chooses to look at it.

The line up surprised me but I thought it would be good enough to win the game although I'm no fan of changing the back four, especially the two CB, as much as Brendan does. No sense behind bringing Toure in for this unless he was going with a back three.

I know you haven't watched the game mate, but the two CB's were our best players. Slow and too predictable in their passing, but you don't really expect creativity from your CB's. Its the other 8 that needed to show a bit of that.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,963 posts | 3944 
      Reply #579: Dec 01, 2013 06:55:11 pm
      The shortcomings were as glaringly obvious today as they ever were, something tells me that the sale of Suarez has been anticipated and the acquisition of promising, affordable additions to the squad will be a result of the transaction.
      Square 1 beckons.
      tomx
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,244 posts | 229 
      Reply #580: Dec 01, 2013 06:58:00 pm
      To all out players:

If a man..who's playing in front of a public, is being well paid, and he doesn't dedicate himself to the job, I'd be hard on him. If I could I would put him in jail! Out the road of society. Because he's a menace'
      David Wright
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 5,233 posts | 752 
      Reply #581: Dec 01, 2013 06:58:21 pm
      Watched the game in the local today, truly awful display, too much back passing, Moses obviously at fault for the first goal. Great free kick from Stevie gave us a glimmer of hope, but no urgency up front. I think Coutinho should have been on a lot earlier, but seemingly not fit to play a full 90 minutes. The side are going to struggle without Sturridge, Suarez cannot do everything on his own. Even more worrying if we start to slip down the table and out of contention for a champion's league place, Suarez may well try and jump ship in January and who could blame him with the lack of quality players around him.
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,111 posts | 896 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #582: Dec 01, 2013 07:16:45 pm
      It depends upon how Norwich play, doesn't it? Liverpool's problem, contrary to popular belief, isn't beating smaller teams, it's beating teams that are compact and put a lot of players behind the ball. Any team that plays open football is always vulnerable to our counter attacks but we look clueless, and have for many years now, on how to go about breaking teams down. It's long been our failing.
      And the reason for that is we play a short passing game with no pace, little penetration and little support, look at Chelsea today struggled to out pass Southampton so went long and won the game
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #583: Dec 01, 2013 07:21:03 pm
      we end up 6 these season, we haved really played well anygames l see these year so far, we least short top midfield other forward, and top winger and rightback, to even think back top 4, only hope we have is other top teams not great these year so far
      lreland
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,360 posts | 116 
      Reply #584: Dec 01, 2013 07:23:37 pm
      please brenden buy good midfielder who has pace and score goals, then maybe we think about top 4
      thanks2shanks
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 286 posts | 28 
      Reply #585: Dec 01, 2013 07:41:20 pm
      And the reason for that is we play a short passing game with no pace, little penetration and little support, look at Chelsea today struggled to out pass Southampton so went long and won the game
      Our approach today was an odd mix of long and short, with neither working and possession thrown away much too often. There was virtually no combination play up top, just individual efforts that came to nothing. At present there's another team on Merseyside whose passing game is superior to ours...
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #586: Dec 01, 2013 07:46:17 pm
      When you play a "holding/defensive" midfielder who contributes nothing offensively yet you still concede three goals a game, you are up against it. Throw in your most advanced midfielder who is bordering on useless, two wide midfielders who don't do a tap and it's going to be a long day.

I think we need to talk about Gerrard, and how sh*te we would be if we didn't have him. We had five midfield today, and the four other than him were dogsh!t.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #587: Dec 01, 2013 07:47:30 pm

Short passing isn't to blame, little penetration is. The two don't go hand in hand, mate. This isn't a problem limited to Rodger's current tenure, Rafa's teams where renowed for it and it's a problem we've suffered from throughout the Premiership years. Without Coutinho we have no one capable of making a killer pass to carve open defenses and none of our midfield make runs in to the area or can dribble the ball. There was an incident today when people where saying Suarez should have passed rather than shot but the only player that had bothered to make a run was Sterling and he had a defender between him and goal. The midfield needs to be making runs behind defenders, dragging them out of position, getting in to the box for goal scoring opportunities, not running around like headless chickens because hard work without the talent to accompany it is worth a paper bag.

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,111 posts | 4876 
      Reply #588: Dec 01, 2013 07:56:19 pm
      When you play a "holding/defensive" midfielder who contributes nothing offensively yet you still concede three goals a game, you are up against it. Throw in your most advanced midfielder who is bordering on useless, two wide midfielders who don't do a tap and it's going to be a long day.

I think we need to talk about Gerrard, and how sh*te we would be if we didn't have him. We had five midfield today, and the four other than him were dogsh!t.

Was Gerrard that good today Mick?
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #589: Dec 01, 2013 08:03:25 pm
      Disturbing result. The lack of responsibility and depth in the squad was plain for all to say. Shockingly upset by some of the performances and I feel angry that our replacement for Sturridge is Victor f**king Moses. We are in a battle for the top 4 with Tottenham, Man Utd and Everton for the top 4, worryingly one of those are champions and you expect them to be good enough for top 4. I simply cannot see us getting top 4 without some major reinforcements to the first team in January.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #590: Dec 01, 2013 08:10:38 pm
      Was Gerrard that good today Mick?

No Si he was very average. Unfortunately on that basis alone, he was the best of our midfielders by a squillion miles.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #591: Dec 01, 2013 08:11:31 pm
      Terrible display today, probably the worst I've seen the team play in along time, if it wasn't for how bloody awfull Hull are then that could have been a truly embarassing scoreline against us. Having said that Hull were amazingly lucky with all 3 goals but at the other end we hardly created anything, the only creative force for most of the game was again Suarez and he had one of his off days. FSG have got to start spending some money because our squad is dangerously cr@p.

I would bedelighted if I never ever saw henderson, Sterling and Moses pull on the red shirt again, all 3 had lacklustre ineffective games, much like they always have.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #592: Dec 01, 2013 08:13:52 pm
      A lot of poor performances today and its true that the manager must take a lot of the blame, just like he takes the praise after any good performance.

Although the two CBs weren't that bad I for the life of me cannot see what Sakho has done to get dropped. He can head the ball and is left footed, right? We went with two right footed CBs because of Hull's threat in the air. I don't get that.

Say what you want about the midfield but, unfortunately, its the best we've got. Its a damning indictment of our lack of nouse during transfer windows that Henderson, who Rodgers tried to shift in the Summer, is keeping out a player who Rodgers rushed to splash £15 million big ones on when he first arrived.

You then look at LB and see Jon Flanagan acting as the obligatory square peg in the round hole when we actually went out and got Cissokho as cover should Enrique face anytime on the side lines, like so.

Sturridge gets injured and its Luis up top on his own - something that we all agreed looked pretty sh*te last week in the Derby. This whilst the signing he got in as back up, Iago Aspas, remains seated whilst both Victor Moses and Raheem Sterling get starts. None of the three have shown much promise so far this season but you think he'd maybe even try and give the player who he bought for this type of situation and the most natural replacement at least a pop today.

Squad depth is bare and I'm not jumping on any bandwagon here, just like I haven't during this purple patch that has seen us get up to and stick at the top of the table but my gut feeling is, and has been, that we'll be out of the CL places come 2014 and even further away from it come the end of the season.

Some players looked clueless, unsure what to do and low on confidence today. I find that strange for a side that was 2nd placed going into today's game.

Hull were average but gained confidence because we looked that disorganised - as soon as they went ahead they got better and we managed to get worse.

Beat Norwich and then beat West Ham and it won't look too bad. If you'd asked me at the start of the season if I'd take being in this position with regards to any Champions League aspirations then I'd have three hands.

Better organisation, better in-game management, better selections and some astute transfer dealings in January required or we'll be lucky to be playing Europa League football next season.

It will get harder. Sides are working out how to get at us and its now down to the manager to work out how to counter them when they do because it will get more and more common.

solodee
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,027 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #593: Dec 01, 2013 08:18:03 pm
      When you looks at the table we are not that off the mark. So it's really not that bad. We will return with a vengeance on Wednesday.

Brendan will shape-up. Just because players whine about needing more game time doesn't mean you put them in the team. They have to earn their spot.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #594: Dec 01, 2013 08:18:29 pm
      A lot of poor performances today and its true that the manager must take a lot of the blame, just like he takes the praise after any good performance.

Although the two CBs weren't that bad I for the life of me cannot see what Sakho has done to get dropped. He can head the ball and is left footed, right? We went with two right footed CBs because of Hull's threat in the air. I don't get that.

Say what you want about the midfield but, unfortunately, its the best we've got. Its a damning indictment of our lack of nouse during transfer windows that Henderson, who Rodgers tried to shift in the Summer, is keeping out a player who Rodgers rushed to splash £15 million big ones on when he first arrived.

You then look at LB and see Jon Flanagan acting as the obligatory square peg in the round hole when we actually went out and got Cissokho as cover should Enrique face anytime on the side lines, like so.

Sturridge gets injured and its Luis up top on his own - something that we all agreed looked pretty sh*te last week in the Derby. This whilst the signing he got in as back up, Iago Aspas, remains seated whilst both Victor Moses and Raheem Sterling get starts. None of the three have shown much promise so far this season but you think he'd maybe even try and give the player who he bought for this type of situation and the most natural replacement at least a pop today.

Squad depth is bare and I'm not jumping on any bandwagon here, just like I haven't during this purple patch that has seen us get up to and stick at the top of the table but my gut feeling is, and has been, that we'll be out of the CL places come 2014 and even further away from it come the end of the season.

Some players looked clueless, unsure what to do and low on confidence today. I find that strange for a side that was 2nd placed going into today's game.

Hull were average but gained confidence because we looked that disorganised - as soon as they went ahead they got better and we managed to get worse.

Beat Norwich and then beat West Ham and it won't look too bad. If you'd asked me at the start of the season if I'd take being in this position with regards to any Champions League aspirations then I'd have three hands.

Better organisation, better in-game management, better selections and some astute transfer dealings in January required or we'll be lucky to be playing Europa League football next season.

It will get harder. Sides are working out how to get at us and its now down to the manager to work out how to counter them when they do because it will get more and more common.

^^ Quality post WAHS, well said.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,466 posts | 4816 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #595: Dec 01, 2013 08:20:13 pm
      Rodgers: We made too many mistakes
      Brendan Rodgers delivered a frank assessment of his side's 3-1 defeat to Hull at the KC Stadium - and pinpointed the mistakes which led to a disappointing loss.

Jake Livermore's deflected effort handed the home team the lead on Sunday; however, Steven Gerrard pegged the Tigers back with a clinical free-kick.

On 71 minutes, David Meyler rifled low beyond Simon Mignolet to restore Hull's advantage, before Martin Skrtel's own-goal consigned the Reds to defeat.

"It was very disappointing," Rodgers told reporters in his post-match press conference. "I thought this was an opportunity for us to begin the week well.

"Hull came in on the back of losing at home and we arrived into the game with confidence and belief. But we made too many mistakes, with and without the ball, and overall it was very disappointing."

He added: "I just thought we lacked quality. With the ball we just didn't create enough and we didn't keep the ball long enough in order to move them about.

"I always felt that we were in control of the game, but we needed to show a wee bit more quality and penetrate that wee bit more.

"But we didn't play well enough. The players are committed enough and they have been giving everything - but today, our quality [was lacking] and there were just too many individual mistakes.

"There were two deflected goals - we were unfortunate with that. We gave the ball away in a bad area [for the first goal] and it was a deflected goal, which puts you on the back foot straight away. We equalised with a great free-kick that got us back into it.

"But then we didn't defend well enough when the ball came into the box. We were too slow and not aggressive enough in our defending. The third one is an own-goal. So it wasn't very good from that aspect.

"McGregor never really had to make too many saves and we're a team that has created a lot of chances this season."

Rodgers brought Kolo Toure back into the side to partner Skrtel at the heart of defence, electing to keep Daniel Agger and Mamadou Sakho in reserve.

"As a team, defensively, it's been difficult for us because we've had to change a lot," explained Rodgers. "The only stability we've had has been our goalkeeper.

"We've had a lot of changes to make defensively this season after injuries and people out. So that hasn't helped us.

"Toure has good experience and we were playing against more physical opponents, [against which] he does well. Sometimes we have struggled in that department. Ideally, I want to be able to play a balanced back-five, but we haven't been able to do that.

"In our last two games we've conceded six goals. So we need to be much, much better than that and that's something we need to return to on Wednesday night."

Daniel Sturridge sustained an ankle sprain in the build-up to the weekend's action and so the prolific England international was missing from the Reds' starting XI.

Likewise, Philippe Coutinho had suffered a high ankle sprain, which meant the Brazilian playmaker was unable to train at Melwood throughout the week.

While Coutinho was introduced in the 66th minute to replace Victor Moses, Rodgers admitted that the pair were missed as the Reds slipped to their first ever defeat against Hull.

"If you take those two out, they're obviously two very good players, who have been very efficient for us this season," said the manager. "But this little period now will test us.

"We've got players who will come in and it will be a great opportunity for them to come in and stake their place in the team. Hopefully we get back to winning games on Wednesday.

"When we went into the Fulham game, we had targets in terms of points, starting with Fulham. And if we get two victories in our next two home games, that will put us on course for the bigger picture, which is two points a game."

Steve Bruce's side went into the game in 13th place in the Barclays Premier League table, having made a solid start to the current campaign.

Reporters questioned Rodgers afterwards as to whether he was surprised by the quality of their play.

The manager responded: "No, out of the promoted teams, Hull have done the best this season.

"Before the game they were on 14 points, which tells you that if they keep that level going, they will be around mid-table.

"Steve changed things at half-time, but we still couldn't find a cutting edge and then we didn't defend well enough as a team.

"We just need to reflect on this. We haven't had too many days of late like this here. Now we have a massive game on Wednesday and we must focus and look to get our points in that game."

http://www.liverpoolfc.com/news/latest-news/150231-rodgers-we-made-too-many-mistakes
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #596: Dec 01, 2013 08:24:06 pm
      I only listened to the game on the radio so i can't comment on specific incidents but....taking an overview of the radio comments it sounds like we did'nt turn up today.  All teams have one-off bad results, lets just hope we don't have anymore like this before Hull return in early Jan, basically we cant afford anymore, that one appalling result was all we can afford if we want to be in the top 4 in Jan.  Our position then might influence players currently at the club and those thinking of signing. Whats the game plan now that Sturridge is out (for 2 Months?). Whats happened to our defence - 6 goals conceded in just over 7 days. 

I think our frailties might be exposed now.  With SAS going away good style, we had a better chance of keeping the play in our opponents final third.  If Sturridge is injured and we can't get someone alongside Luis to present the same threat, our midfield is going to be under pressure, which brings us back to our defensive woes.   
      federer
      • Needs a Klopp hug
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,932 posts | 645 
      Reply #597: Dec 01, 2013 08:24:31 pm
      Brendan will shape-up. Just because players whine about needing more game time doesn't mean you put them in the team. They have to earn their spot.

Oh, they have to "earn their spot" do they?  what did Gerrard, Lucas, Henderson etc do last weekend to earn their spot against Hull?  absolutely nothing.  What did they do today to earn their spot against Norwich?  nothing.  But you can bet the farm they'll be in the lineup Wednesday. 

Basically, some players have to earn their spot.  Others are sacred cows who can play like sh*te and still be guaranteed to start.

Quick Reply