Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Hodgson admits to playing unfit Sturridge.

Read 5119 times
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Hodgson admits to playing unfit Sturridge.
      Dec 03, 2013 07:29:34 am
      I tested Daniel Sturridge's resolve by playing him unfit, admits Roy Hodgson
      Roy Hodgson has admitted that he tested Daniel Sturridge's commitment to England by picking him against Germany last month even though the striker was not completely fit.

The Liverpool striker played 90 minutes for England in the 1-0 defeat at Wembley but has since been ruled out of action for two months with an ankle ligament problem. Hodgson said that the subsequent injury was different to the dead leg that was plaguing the player in the lead-in to the internationals against Chile and Germany.

In the summer, Sturridge had been forced to pull out of England's trip to Brazil for a friendly in June and had missed the August friendly against Scotland, as well as the two September World Cup qualifiers. He was back in the team for the final qualifying victories over Montenegro and Ukraine but faced with losing him again for the Germany game, Hodgson said that he tested the player's "resolve".

Hodgson said: "The good thing for me about that was that he did get out there. Dan has pulled out of a few matches with us for injury reasons. He has been unlucky with injuries. The first game he [started, against Ireland in May] he got injured.
      "It was important for me to test his resolve a little bit. I might have been guilty of putting that resolve to the test, but I don't apologise for it. And I am delighted he did get out there, even though he maybe didn't feel 100 per cent, because that means in future I will know I can trust him as an England player and he is not going to be playing when he feels like it, he is going to be playing when he's fit to play."

In his press conference before the match, Sturridge himself conceded that he was suffering from a "lingering" thigh injury but would do his best nonetheless.

Hodgson flies to Salvador in Brazil today ahead of the World Cup draw on Friday for next summer's tournament, but he said it was the prospect of playing games in the north of the country, in tropical conditions, that concerned him more than the opposition. England will be seeded in the second tier, meaning they will face one of the highest-ranked nations in the world.

Potentially the most challenging venue is the Amazonia Arena in Manaus, where June temperatures are in excess of 30C, higher than more southerly cities. Hodgson said: "The venues we play in do worry me more than the opponents. Playing Argentina is a problem any time because they are a good team but I think there's definitely going to be climatic conditions which will be problematic for teams, not least of all the northern European sides.

"Manaus will be a difficult venue for everyone including Argentinians, Chileans and Colombians but for northern European players it will be a little bit harder. You have a better chance if you get one of the venues where the climate is kinder. I'm not an expert on the venue... but I'm just mouthing what everybody who has been following it has been saying. Manaus is the place ideally to avoid and Porto Alegre is the place to get."

At the end of the season, England will play a send-off game at Wembley, then two friendlies in the United States, one against the US – providing they are not drawn in the same World Cup group again – in New York or Chicago, and another against a South American side in Miami. Hodgson said he was giving great consideration to making sure the players did not burn out during the build-up.

"I don't know the details of the [Jonathan] Trott situation but it doesn't surprise me that players get stress-related problems. Representing your country... is not an easy situation. We will do our very best to avoid it."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/i-tested-daniel-sturridges-resolve-by-playing-him-unfit-admits-roy-hodgson-8978787.html

Speechless, I hope we sue the FA for loss of earnings when it comes to the end of the season.

Not even a vital game, a stupid friendly.

The utter incompetence of the man and organisation is limitless.
      Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Re: Hodgson admits to playing unfit Sturridge.
      Reply #1: Dec 03, 2013 07:36:52 am
      I tested Daniel Sturridge's resolve by playing him unfit, admits Roy Hodgson
      Roy Hodgson has admitted that he tested Daniel Sturridge's commitment to England by picking him against Germany last month even though the striker was not completely fit.

The Liverpool striker played 90 minutes for England in the 1-0 defeat at Wembley but has since been ruled out of action for two months with an ankle ligament problem. Hodgson said that the subsequent injury was different to the dead leg that was plaguing the player in the lead-in to the internationals against Chile and Germany.

In the summer, Sturridge had been forced to pull out of England's trip to Brazil for a friendly in June and had missed the August friendly against Scotland, as well as the two September World Cup qualifiers. He was back in the team for the final qualifying victories over Montenegro and Ukraine but faced with losing him again for the Germany game, Hodgson said that he tested the player's "resolve".

Hodgson said: "The good thing for me about that was that he did get out there. Dan has pulled out of a few matches with us for injury reasons. He has been unlucky with injuries. The first game he [started, against Ireland in May] he got injured.
      "It was important for me to test his resolve a little bit. I might have been guilty of putting that resolve to the test, but I don't apologise for it. And I am delighted he did get out there, even though he maybe didn't feel 100 per cent, because that means in future I will know I can trust him as an England player and he is not going to be playing when he feels like it, he is going to be playing when he's fit to play."

In his press conference before the match, Sturridge himself conceded that he was suffering from a "lingering" thigh injury but would do his best nonetheless.

Hodgson flies to Salvador in Brazil today ahead of the World Cup draw on Friday for next summer's tournament, but he said it was the prospect of playing games in the north of the country, in tropical conditions, that concerned him more than the opposition. England will be seeded in the second tier, meaning they will face one of the highest-ranked nations in the world.

Potentially the most challenging venue is the Amazonia Arena in Manaus, where June temperatures are in excess of 30C, higher than more southerly cities. Hodgson said: "The venues we play in do worry me more than the opponents. Playing Argentina is a problem any time because they are a good team but I think there's definitely going to be climatic conditions which will be problematic for teams, not least of all the northern European sides.

"Manaus will be a difficult venue for everyone including Argentinians, Chileans and Colombians but for northern European players it will be a little bit harder. You have a better chance if you get one of the venues where the climate is kinder. I'm not an expert on the venue... but I'm just mouthing what everybody who has been following it has been saying. Manaus is the place ideally to avoid and Porto Alegre is the place to get."

At the end of the season, England will play a send-off game at Wembley, then two friendlies in the United States, one against the US – providing they are not drawn in the same World Cup group again – in New York or Chicago, and another against a South American side in Miami. Hodgson said he was giving great consideration to making sure the players did not burn out during the build-up.

"I don't know the details of the [Jonathan] Trott situation but it doesn't surprise me that players get stress-related problems. Representing your country... is not an easy situation. We will do our very best to avoid it."

http://www.independent.co.uk/sport/football/international/i-tested-daniel-sturridges-resolve-by-playing-him-unfit-admits-roy-hodgson-8978787.html

Speechless, I hope we sue the FA for loss of earnings when it comes to the end of the season.

Not even a vital game, a stupid friendly.

The utter incompetence of the man and organisation is limitless.
      Hodgson the basta*d is still getting back at us for giving him the boot.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #2: Dec 03, 2013 07:41:30 am
      One of the most ridiculous things I've ever seen admitted by a manager.

Hopefully we seek compensation from the F.A. for this admission. Hodgson simply further highlighting what an incompetent fool he is. If he believes that's how you test someone's resolve then I have no words to describe how stupid he is.
      what-a-hit-son
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 16,500 posts | 4839 
      • t: @MrPrice1979 i: @klmprice101518
      Reply #3: Dec 03, 2013 07:43:47 am
      And its bang out of order on Studge. The Owl faced tw*t basically put him in an awkward position there.

Can England be in the same group as Uruguay in Friday's draw? How I'd F***ing love to see Luis score a goal that put them out of the competition. Talk about getting one back on The FA. Priceless.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #4: Dec 03, 2013 07:56:00 am
      His idiocy Knows no bounds. Embarrassing as a national manager.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Dec 03, 2013 08:00:59 am
      Hodgson still suffers from foot in mouth disease shocker.

www.savetheowls.com

Endangered species Roy Hodgson last night showed last night he is still suffering from foot in mouth disease, the current Engurland and former Liverpool Owl continued his long line of gaffes by inisiting he played an unfit Daniel Sturridge to test his resolve. The senile Dementia Owl face c**t has a long and severe history of foot in mouth disease and this statement follows such classics as 'If Sir Alex makes a bid for Torres, I will on be too pleased to suck him off as he's my best fwiend'.

Liverpool fans are now pissing themselves laughing at the daft c**t as he could have left the English FA in a precarious position given Daniel Sturridge's injury

Much preferred my report, do you think I could have a career in journalism ?
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #6: Dec 03, 2013 08:13:44 am
      Hodgson still suffers from foot in mouth disease shocker.

www.savetheowls.com

Endangered species Roy Hodgson last night showed last night he is still suffering from foot in mouth disease, the current Engurland and former Liverpool Owl continued his long line of gaffes by inisiting he played an unfit Daniel Sturridge to test his resolve. The senile Dementia Owl face C**t has a long and severe history of foot in mouth disease and this statement follows such classics as 'If Sir Alex makes a bid for Torres, I will on be too pleased to suck him off as he's my best fwiend'.

Liverpool fans are now pissing themselves laughing at the daft c**t as he could have left the English FA in a precarious position given Daniel Sturridge's injury

Much preferred my report, do you think I could have a career in journalism ?

Like it I would subscribe  ;)
      Redangel
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,339 posts | 1011 
      Reply #7: Dec 03, 2013 08:45:02 am
      Unbelievable! Why he was ever appointed I will never understand.
      This was an unimportant friendly, beggars belief that he would risk a player who was injured. He also put Danny in an impossible situation.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,257 posts | 4933 
      Reply #8: Dec 03, 2013 08:49:01 am
      The man is a buffoon and it would be funny if he wasn;t so serious.

He F***ing hates us.
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #9: Dec 03, 2013 09:20:43 am
       What a fuc*in useless clown
        So he knew he was not fit and played him, not for 5/10/20/45 mins but for the whole game
        The FA should take action, with his comments he is admitting he did not play the best 11 available at the moment ( apart from LFC should ASK for answers on this sh*T)

And

If he was not fit, did LFC knew this, if yes, why did they let him join the england squad?
         If he was not fit,  why did Daniel  accepted to play ( does that make him a good professional?)
         If he was not fit, and  roy admitted it, and played him for that long ..does this make him a good manager?

LFC should ask these questions and more to themselves -to the player ,to Hodgson and to the FA for answers

this is unprofessionalism IMHO

YNWA
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #10: Dec 03, 2013 09:51:45 am
      What a w@nker.
      LFCexiled
      Reply #11: Dec 03, 2013 09:52:15 am
      Well, he couldn't of gotten any lower in my estimation of him as a man so he stays where he is, rock F***ing bottom.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #12: Dec 03, 2013 10:02:22 am
      Well if either Roy or Brendan needed to test him they've got their answer and between them have conspired to put him out of the game during a very important period of fixtures.

Yes I do blame Brendan as much as the owl.  His comments after the derby regarding Danny not pushing himself in training after playing in said pointless friendly has pushed Danny to injure himself whilst training.

All in all great work from the pair of them  :mad:
      MIRO
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 12,989 posts | 3124 
      • Trust The Universe
      Reply #13: Dec 03, 2013 12:40:20 pm
      Well if either Roy or Brendan needed to test him they've got their answer and between them have conspired to put him out of the game during a very important period of fixtures.

Yes I do blame Brendan as much as the owl.  His comments after the derby regarding Danny not pushing himself in training after playing in said pointless friendly has pushed Danny to injure himself whilst training.

All in all great work from the pair of them  :mad:

Agree Debs.

Sturridge wants to be out there next summer and didnt want to say no to the Owl. Undue pressure.
      Brendan should have known better.
      Hes read Ferguson's book about the envelopes.

Forgot the bit about F***ing off the FA when he wanted to.
      ORCHARD RED
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #14: Dec 03, 2013 12:59:21 pm
      I've never called a former Reds manager names before, but Roy you are officially a grade 1 w**ker!
      Hope you lose all 3 group games.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #15: Dec 03, 2013 01:34:44 pm
      "It was important for me to test his resolve a little bit. I might have been guilty of putting that resolve to the test, but I don't apologise for it."
      Sounds like a wee man with a God complex.

Well at least he didn't visit flood, famine or pestilence, on us, just to test our faith. No, wait...  >:D
      Arab Scouse
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,201 posts | 836 
      Reply #16: Dec 03, 2013 02:04:49 pm
      What a d*ck
      carragerrard
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,584 posts | 94 
      Reply #17: Dec 03, 2013 04:01:46 pm
      This controversial ,shameful,irresponsable, f*ckin staement by the england owl boss himself PISSED me more than the loss to hull

This is a man who many(outsideLFC) call an honest,genuine and gentleman,

has it crossed anyone mind tha roy's intentions were not in the england team, the FA or the player's best, but to get at the club that sacked him after 6 months???

a*shole

tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,246 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #18: Dec 03, 2013 07:21:57 pm
      If owl face wants to play, players who are not fit in a friendly it's time Brendan grew a pair of balls like a certain team not 30 miles away, who would not put up with owl face playing any of there's in the same situation
      Fowler#23
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 872 posts | 37 
      Reply #19: Dec 03, 2013 07:29:00 pm
      I can't believe what I read today, it was a friendly and he goes and does this what an absolute b311 end. Sooner we adopt the old Fergie tactics for international friendlies the better if this is how our players are going to be treated!

Can't put into words how much I detest the bloke, average coach at best who must pinch himself every time he wakes up at the jobs he's got and had. Come to think of it he reminds me very much of the gaffer at my work in that respect.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #20: Dec 03, 2013 07:59:06 pm
      And I am delighted he did get out there, even though he maybe didn't feel 100 per cent, because that means in future I will know I can trust him as an England player and he is not going to be playing when he feels like it, he is going to be playing when he's fit to play."

Wonder if this applies to Rooney when he next has a knock and doesn't play for England.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #21: Dec 03, 2013 08:29:58 pm
      More of a COCK than an Owl !!!
      How the FA have any faith in him whatsoever that he's gonna bring that trophy back from Brazil next year has to be the biggest joke since Gazza started whinging at Italia 90...
      Why couldn't he wait till the arranged friendly against Denmark in March to asses his squad?.. and no doubt the couple of other friendlies that will crop up before they jet out with their suntan lotions..
      UNF***INBELIEVABLE !! >:(
      Three Lions on the shirt? What a F**kin joke !!
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #22: Dec 03, 2013 08:34:12 pm
      Whatever about playing when not fit in competitive match, this was just a friendly against a 2nd string Germany. If I was Daniel I'd be pretty pissed off with Hodgson and his 'mind-games-for-5-year-olds' antics.

Quick Reply