Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Would you rather: A Liverpool team w/Luis Suarez, or 60m+ of new players?

Read 10446 times
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Would you rather: A Liverpool team w/Luis Suarez, or 60m+ of new players?
      Dec 04, 2013 02:32:48 pm
      This is a scenario that undoubtedly most of us have gone over and over again in our heads. Unfortunately, unlike most top teams who can afford to keep their best players while adding quality to the squad, our situation with Suarez (and his stated intent to leave, plus his consistency in the past 1.5-2 seasons) mean he's very likely going to move on at the end of the season for big money. Most of us have probably already come to terms with that, and have already begun the justifying chorus of 'screw him, he disrespected our club/was more trouble than he was worth'. Fine. BUT:

My question to all of you is, were Luis happy to stay but FSG was only prepared to spend marginally in the event he did, would you keep the league's most lethal striker at Anfield, or would you start the bidding to turn him into 60-70million and re-invest in the squad? Spurs' sea change of squad chemistry from last year to this is what has me confounded on this one.

My first new topic here - be kind!

Redone
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Re: Would you rather: A Liverpool team w/Luis Suarez, or 60m+ of new players?
      Reply #1: Dec 04, 2013 02:46:08 pm
      first :p
      but seriously tho. Keep Luis, just look at spur...
      xBooniex
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,278 posts | 28 
      Reply #2: Dec 04, 2013 02:46:25 pm
      I would never sell a happy Suarez. His attitude this season has been incredible.
      That said I still expect him to go in the summer regardless of where we finish.
      The summer window was a complete mess and has gave me the mindset of just enjoying him while he is here.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #3: Dec 04, 2013 03:01:21 pm
      I don't believe in selling your best players, as apart from sending a bad message to the rest of the players, the likelihood is that some of the players you buy won't work out.

We know what we have with Luis, why gamble on other players when we have one of the best in the world.

As we all know he will probably go anyway in the summer, but I would fight tooth and nail to keep him.   
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,654 posts | 6949 
      Reply #4: Dec 04, 2013 03:02:31 pm
      This is a scenario that undoubtedly most of us have gone over and over again in our heads.

I'll try and ignore the fact that Luis Suarez is quite clearly going to be heading to pastures new at some stage in the next 6 months.

So....

Liverpool are a long way from having a great squad.

Therefore £60M spent on 3 or 4 great players in some key positions is more important at the moment than having a single £60M rated player who can

a) get injured (see Sturridge)
      b) get a long ban (see Suarez).

The kind of teams who buy £60M players are teams who already have great squads. 
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #5: Dec 04, 2013 03:08:52 pm
      My answer is :-

"Sell him" if we can get 60mil or more but with guarantee that we will get 3 real world class players in.

"Don't sell him" if we continue to buy dross with all that money.

As it is now, I'm more towarda not selling Suarez as the players we have got in so far have been a dissapointment and softies and looks pretty average. So I'm not confident with BR and the committee decisions on the players to buy.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #6: Dec 04, 2013 04:13:18 pm
      Hmm, I think I'd like to sell him, so our wonderful owners can have some more cash. I mean poor John only has one yacht now. Linda must be soooooooo embarrassed... life must be a complete bi*ch for the poor girl.

Alternatively, here's a great idea. Luis stays, because Fenway start investing  the 60m AND a lot more that US the fans have given them over the past 3 years.

I think the clowns who decided to play Championship manager with the imagined Luis money have been well and truly shut up by the Spurs-Bale fiasco. I mean its great to spend 60m on 3 extra players, instead of one. IF the rules change to allow to have 14 men on the pitch.

If I want to improve my car, I try not to start by smashing it with a sledge hammer. I dunno, I just find it helps.

And so its the same with football clubs/"soccer brands".

racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #7: Dec 04, 2013 04:18:10 pm
      Sell him.

We need the money to actually have a squad.
      I'll miss the b***ard but, as JD has said,
      we are an injury or suspension away from our season grinding to a halt.

He'll be gone soon anyway, so it's a mute point.
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,455 posts | 4585 
      Reply #8: Dec 04, 2013 04:18:32 pm
      Depends who spending the £60 million.

I would rather have a collective than an individual.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #9: Dec 04, 2013 04:20:42 pm
      Sell him.

And selling our only world class player doesn't just finish our season. It'll finish us as a top level club.

As things stand, I see our matches as a type of "glorified friendly arrangement" ie no silverware, but potentially entertaining, and possibly indicative of the future.

If our superstar went, I'd say "this isn't Liverpool Football Club, its a dead shell".
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #10: Dec 04, 2013 04:33:22 pm
      And selling our only world class player doesn't just finish our season. It'll finish us as a top level club.

As things stand, I see our matches as a type of "glorified friendly arrangement" ie no silverware, but potentially entertaining, and possibly indicative of the future.

If our superstar went, I'd say "this isn't Liverpool Football Club, its a dead shell".

Players that have left Liverpool.

2010/11 - Torres and Mascherano.
      2009/10 - Alonso and Arbeloa.
      2004/05 - Michael Owen.
      2002/02 - Anelka.
      2001/02 - Robbie Fowler.
      1999/00 - Steve McManaman.

Even back to
      1977/78 - Kevin Keegan.

No player stays at the club forever.
      Our biggest mistake, in recent years, is the quality of the player we replace them with,
      not the fact that we let them go.

If we could get some more Sturridge/Coutinho class players in then YES I would cash in
      on Suarez. It's better than when we let McManaman go to Madrid on a free.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #11: Dec 04, 2013 04:41:16 pm
      Players that have left Liverpool.

2010/11 - Torres and Mascherano.
      2009/10 - Alonso and Arbeloa.
      2004/05 - Michael Owen.
      2002/02 - Anelka.
      2001/02 - Robbie Fowler.
      1999/00 - Steve McManaman.

Even back to
      1977/78 - Kevin Keegan.

No player stays at the club forever.
      Our biggest mistake, in recent years, is the quality of the player we replace them with,
      not the fact that we let them go.

If we could get some more Sturridge/Coutinho class players in then YES I would cash in
      on Suarez. It's better than when we let McManaman go to Madrid on a free.

Our success was always built around keeping top players not selling them. When do Madrid ever say "ahhh lets sell our galacticos and get 7 or 8 players for 10m in"?
      Losing Masch, Xabi and Arbeloa etc demonstrates how damaging the barrow boy mentality of Championship Manager is.

Look at the Rafa era, look at the Bob and Joe Fagan eras.
      No-one cried over Anelka. But the sale of Luis would say we are simply another midtable team.
      You think we'd sign Ronaldo to replace Luis? This isn't 1977 when we could attract a Kenny.

We would become a city based club. Our national and international fan base, more and more, would say "these Yanks are spitting in our faces, why catch a plane to see Iago Aspas and co languish in midtable".
      It would be ANOTHER catastrophe for the football side. And a fat wad of cash for the Yanksters.
      AmericanPlant
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,248 posts | 170 
      Reply #12: Dec 04, 2013 04:42:46 pm
      This is a scenario that undoubtedly most of us have gone over and over again in our heads. Unfortunately, unlike most top teams who can afford to keep their best players while adding quality to the squad, our situation with Suarez (and his stated intent to leave, plus his consistency in the past 1.5-2 seasons) mean he's very likely going to move on at the end of the season for big money. Most of us have probably already come to terms with that, and have already begun the justifying chorus of 'screw him, he disrespected our club/was more trouble than he was worth'. Fine. BUT:

My question to all of you is, were Luis happy to stay but FSG was only prepared to spend marginally in the event he did, would you keep the league's most lethal striker at Anfield, or would you start the bidding to turn him into 60-70million and re-invest in the squad? Spurs' sea change of squad chemistry from last year to this is what has me confounded on this one.

My first new topic here - be kind!

But the point is, we can OVERWHELMINGLY afford to invest to a high level AND keep Luis. Unfortunately we have some greedy buggers running the club.
      Check out our accounts.

I'm off out. Maybe someone would like to explain?
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,386 posts | 2823 
      Reply #13: Dec 04, 2013 04:51:24 pm
      Depends who we buy really - at the moment it seems if Brendan spends it we'll just end up with 60-70m worth of talent on the bench.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #14: Dec 04, 2013 05:04:48 pm
      Spending ,or spunking 60 mil guarantee,s fck all as we have found out ,at least when i watch Luis i know i am going to see a genuine world class footballer , at the moment i wouldn,t trust BR  with 60p let alone 60 million.
      harrydunn08
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,922 posts | 964 
      Reply #15: Dec 04, 2013 05:06:21 pm
      Sell him.

Pretty much nail on the head.  The only thing I could think would benefit us is if we could get Madrid (let's face it, he's almost nailed on to be there in the next 6-12 months) to give us one or more of Di Maria, Khedeira, Modric, Morata, Rodriguez as part of the deal so that we don't get raked over the coals by teams who know we have a sack full of money to spend!!
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Reply #16: Dec 04, 2013 05:13:47 pm
      Shouldn't the question be 'if we get new owners who are willing to make £60m available to the manager'..........
      BostonScouse
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • Started Topic
      • 715 posts | 106 
      Reply #17: Dec 04, 2013 05:30:07 pm
      Shouldn't the question be 'if we get new owners who are willing to make £60m available to the manager'..........

I'm posturing a question that has to do with the immediate future of the club, not speculation and moaning about the owners.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #18: Dec 04, 2013 05:43:38 pm
      Here's a wild thought, how about keep Suarez and add £60m worth of quality players ;)
      king kenny
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,122 posts | 450 
      Reply #19: Dec 04, 2013 05:50:23 pm
      It depends who we bring in.  Sign 3 players like Sturridge, Coutinho and Mignolet of that quality and that would be enough for me to be more than willingly part ways.  Sign a 100 of Aspas and Borini's of the world and it is a massive no.  If Suarez is happy to stay I would keep him at this moment of time.  As in the past few years we just can't buy quality.   Strikers win games and he can do that single handedly.  If he wants to leave which is the case don't let the door hit you in the face is my mentality. Wrong as it may sound.  There is no one bigger than the club.  We've been here many of times - Keegan, Owen and Torres are just the quick examples.  If he goes all the worse would be my message!
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #20: Dec 04, 2013 06:41:06 pm
      FFS, what's wrong with having f***in both, I'm sick of seein our beloved club have to sell its best assets to fund 2-3 quality additions,
      For me FSG need to stop F***ing about and give Brendan the money to buy the players that will help retain the services of probably the third best player on the planet,

If that were to happen then maybe just maybe Luis will see that the owners ARE pulling out all the stops to make sure CL football arrives at LFC and won't need to go anywhere,
      and even if he does we would still have those quality players we are so desperately short of ,

It's clear FSG. Want CL and all that goes with it, but it comes at a price and sadly they are reluctant to spend the necessary cash to help get it, they are trying to get there by spending as little as they can but reap the rewards IF we were to qualify,

people say they have spent money but it's NOT enough, squabbling over a few extra million over their estimation of a particular player is f***in ridiculous,

See this summers window for example,
      I believe the bid for Mkhiteran(still can't spell his name) was around £30-£32m but he went for £35m, for the sake of £3m we could have offered what was needed, and possibly got our man,

Why is Suarez only valued at £60m f***in monkey boy is valued at what was it £85m, and Luis is twice the player that kunt is , IF Luis wants to go or if FSG wants to cash in I wouldn't want anything less than. £90m,

That diving cheating kunt Ronaldo and Messi are probably the best two in global football, I would put our Luis just behind them and a tad in front of Falcao, think that's his f***in name anyhoo those first two are priceless and if we were to qualify for the CL as regular as those players clubs do then Luis would be priceless to,

So F**k the £60m and F**k selling our top players to fund lesser mortals,

FSG  need to pull their f***in heads out of their baseball caps and invest properly , ie this window give Brendan the necessary funds and if a player or two become available fit the ideal and can hit the ground running, and if they both cost over £30m so be it,

Failing to reach CL again will set us back further than we already are now, so it has to happen regardless of the cost, once in the money invested can be paid back to FSG thru TV, sponsorship and all that goes with it,

Get your f***in wallet out John if You really believe we can get CL football back at Anfield.

Rant over

YNWA
      frizzby5
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 18,362 posts | 627 
      Reply #21: Dec 04, 2013 06:42:49 pm
      I'd sooner keep a player that's proven his worth for us then buy over priced players that are only here for then money and may flop !
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,925 posts | 283 
      Reply #22: Dec 04, 2013 06:51:52 pm
      Simple. Would Barca or Real sell Messi or Ronaldo for 60 mill? With that said, if Real bid for him, i can't see him staying.

Quick Reply