Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

Would you rather: A Liverpool team w/Luis Suarez, or 60m+ of new players?

Read 10444 times
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,009 posts | 3953 
      Re: Would you rather: A Liverpool team w/Luis Suarez, or 60m+ of new players?
      Reply #92: Dec 05, 2013 03:17:27 pm
      I've said this before mate, this current squad would get humiliated in the CL and to predict any glory in that competition just because we where *once* revered is ignorant.

It comes down to the players, and quality players at that.

If, and that's the big word, we get into the CL again we are all agreed that the squad needs to increase 25% both in numbers and quality.

Fixed that mate in case JWH or somebody that can affect the situation is looking in.
      FCGroningen
      • Forum Dean Saunders

• 70 posts |
      Reply #93: Dec 05, 2013 03:27:24 pm
      Liverpool can be as strong as Man City and Arsenal.
      City and Arsenal are seen as very strong teams in Europe.
      So with a a couple of good buy's in the winter and next summer.. Liverpool is capeble to be in the semi's from the Champions League
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,331 posts | 6386 
      Reply #94: Dec 05, 2013 05:07:22 pm
      To me it comes down to Luis. If he is committed and happy to play at LFC, then he should be here as long as he is loyal...and we should not entertain any offers (ANY). However, if he's itching to go somewhere else, then let him go and get top dollar...but after his displays this year he should go for nothing less than 120m ;)
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Reply #95: Dec 05, 2013 07:01:35 pm
      Hmm, would I rather one of the best players in the world... or 60m+(?) of new players.. I'll keep the great and if anyone wants him it'll cost a lot more than 60m!!

Obviously I think we have to get CL qualification this year to have any chance of keeping Luis after the summer, but I do think if we at least achieve that he'll want to play in the competition with us. Other than the current lack of trophy success, he does seem genuinely happy here and I think if we start moving toward the goal that we all want, it'll convince him to give us a couple more years, and hopefully that's enough.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #96: Dec 05, 2013 07:22:11 pm
      FFS, what's wrong with having f***in both, I'm sick of seein our beloved club have to sell its best assets to fund 2-3 quality additions,
      For me FSG need to stop F***ing about and give Brendan the money to buy the players that will help retain the services of probably the third best player on the planet,

If that were to happen then maybe just maybe Luis will see that the owners ARE pulling out all the stops to make sure CL football arrives at LFC and won't need to go anywhere,
      and even if he does we would still have those quality players we are so desperately short of ,

It's clear FSG. Want CL and all that goes with it, but it comes at a price and sadly they are reluctant to spend the necessary cash to help get it, they are trying to get there by spending as little as they can but reap the rewards IF we were to qualify,

people say they have spent money but it's NOT enough, squabbling over a few extra million over their estimation of a particular player is f***in ridiculous,

See this summers window for example,
      I believe the bid for Mkhiteran(still can't spell his name) was around £30-£32m but he went for £35m, for the sake of £3m we could have offered what was needed, and possibly got our man,

Why is Suarez only valued at £60m f***in monkey boy is valued at what was it £85m, and Luis is twice the player that kunt is , IF Luis wants to go or if FSG wants to cash in I wouldn't want anything less than. £90m,

That diving cheating kunt Ronaldo and Messi are probably the best two in global football, I would put our Luis just behind them and a tad in front of Falcao, think that's his f***in name anyhoo those first two are priceless and if we were to qualify for the CL as regular as those players clubs do then Luis would be priceless to,

So F**k the £60m and F**k selling our top players to fund lesser mortals,

FSG  need to pull their f***in heads out of their baseball caps and invest properly , ie this window give Brendan the necessary funds and if a player or two become available fit the ideal and can hit the ground running, and if they both cost over £30m so be it,

Failing to reach CL again will set us back further than we already are now, so it has to happen regardless of the cost, once in the money invested can be paid back to FSG thru TV, sponsorship and all that goes with it,

Get your f***in wallet out John if You really believe we can get CL football back at Anfield.

Rant over

YNWA

Quality reading as ever and a big "Vote Up" for you mate!
      LondonRed83
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 21,652 posts | 3920 
      Reply #97: Dec 05, 2013 07:46:03 pm
      Agree with everyone here. Liverpool need to invest in top players in order to keep Suarez, champions league qualification isn't enough. He deserves to be in a team which competes on all fronts.

Come on liverpool, get your F***ing wallet out!
      American Red
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,157 posts | 179 
      Reply #98: Dec 05, 2013 08:05:14 pm
      Like many have said I don't believe in selling our top players and would never even consider selling a happy Suarez.

Especially because I don't trust our head honchos to invest 60m+ wisely enough that the benefit of those new players would outweigh the cost of losing Luis.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #99: Dec 05, 2013 08:09:03 pm
      Would rather keep him than sell. But end of this season will be harder to hold on. If he keeps playing the way he is, even if we get into the top4 the money offered could be monopoloy-ish. We held onto him by our fingernails this time, and he hasn't disappointed - he's gone out an shown he's a professional and brilliant. He seems less volatile, so maybe is a bit happier in himself and his decision to stay - though you never know when he's going to boil over (hopefully he won't cause we'd miss him badly if he's suspended again). A lot can change in a season, different factors come into play, gazillion type offers, Suarez state of mind, what the club promised him when he stayed this time round. But he's signed up until 2016, so I'm hoping he'll play out his contract or we cash in end of 2015 :) It will be a duller place without him, that is for damn sure.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #100: Dec 05, 2013 08:18:57 pm
      Quality reading as ever and a big "Vote Up" for you mate!

Cheers Ayrton,
      Just telling folk how it is. the time is now for proper investment, we have probably the best chance this season of finally reaching the holy land, but only if the quality is there, we are no where near the level expected for a proper CL challenge but let's worry about that when we get there,

It's the getting there part we need right now, we don't have those quality players to get us there and that simply put has to happen in the Jan window,
      Missing out on targets or inadequate investment will most probably kill our season, we cannot expect to finish 4th with our current squad, it's down to its bare bones now,
      We also cannot expect our Luis to hang around for another season and losing him will set us back further,
      So this window is absolutely pivotal not just for this season but of the next 2or3,IMO

YNWA
      YANK_LFC_FAN
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 3,507 posts | 426 
      • Timid men prefer the calm of despotism!
      Reply #101: Dec 05, 2013 08:43:26 pm
      I would keep him. Look at it like this....If he was playing somewhere else, having the same identical career for another team, would you want Liverpool to spend $60m for him?  I would.

I do have one reservation....Luis Suarez. We have seen what happens when he gets frustrated. So, as of now he is a perfect player and someone to build a team around. But, if he gets mad or upset during a match, it could lead to a HUGE suspension. At minimum, the next suspension will be at minimum 11 matches. I dont trust him to keep his temper, I just dont. He will explode again. But, the greats usually do. The most ferocious player of the modern era was Zidane. He was supposed to have a vicous temper and he had a load of red cards in his career, not too mention his WC head butt and he is considered a top 5 player of all time.

I think Suarez is a generational player and we have him at the start of his prime and if LFC want to keep him, they need to keep him AND spend $60m. Thats just the fact of the modern game. I believe if they dont spend in January and bring in a forward, midfielder and some good backs, to solidify this squad, he will put in a transfer request in the summer.
      Scottbot

• 9,616 posts | 2159 
      Reply #102: Dec 05, 2013 09:18:14 pm
      The club would be fools to sell him unless he was truly desperate to leave (ie. it was Madrid and we haven't made top 4) And I think anyone who agrees we should sell the lad is equally foolish. I would also suggest that 60 million would not be enough when put into context of his form so far this season and the transfer fee that Madrid paid for Bale.

And if we get Champions League football I wouldn't sell him period.

AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,777 posts | 6724 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #103: Dec 05, 2013 11:40:29 pm
      NOT FOR F***ing SALE !
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #104: Dec 06, 2013 04:00:04 am
      I agree with the eminent and esteemed writers at Rawk, that we are so lucky to see visit here.

You're F***ing weird.
      fishpie
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,570 posts | 212 
      Reply #105: Dec 06, 2013 04:54:57 am
      The question raised here is interesting and it's easy to say  pffft we shouldn't ever sell him, it would be more than 60mil btw.
      However.. I'm not saying this to be controversial and I think LS is even more exciting than Messi, more hard working and tenacious with a similar amount of skill and variation in his skill-set. Barcalona play a measured game that is clinical and Messi is the peak of football genius but over all I like watching Suarez more, personal opinion.
      I explained my opinion on Suarez to make clear how much I rate him, if we sold Surez and never wasted the money  on young kids who are unproven then it would be a huge mistake, if we bought 3 quality players 2 in midfield and one up front maybe, then overall we would be able to move on a bit and not be so reliant on LS who will end up moving soon enough, Real Madrids top transfer target I heard recently so he's bound to go.
      I'm really glad we got the pleasure of LS the genius playing for us but I always feel uncomfortable when I think LFC is becoming too reliant on 1 player, because it's a lot to have on 1 persons shoulders.
      Before Sturridge came I thought the same, it's too much for LS to have to do everything and I don't see any vast additions to the squad that will really give what Suarez gives in terms of strength, determination, work rate, balls, winning attitude and quality.
      Coutinho is a great asset  but he is too lightweight, we need strong physical players in order for the PC and JA to have the space to work. Suarez is strong and physical like Aguero is, they may not be that tall but their body strength is really vital in the BPL.
      Hopefully we keep him but not to just use what we've got now because we really need the owners to invest in quality players and add some steal to the midfield. He seems happy these days which is good, I prefer him like this than the moaning at the ref version. he is settled here but Real Madrid will come knocking so it's unlikely he'll say no to that one.
      « Last Edit: Dec 06, 2013 07:18:27 am by fishpie »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #106: Dec 06, 2013 09:20:16 am
      I honestly think we should gamble with next summers transfer budget in January to try and get champions league football, its our best chance in recent years of getting it and its also our best chance of keeping Suarez by qualifying, so sign the players we need to help achieve that in January or it may come to the point where a fee is being agreed for Suarez next summer as we haven't qualified.
      ayrton77
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,775 posts | 627 
      • © Established Quality Since 1977
      Reply #107: Dec 06, 2013 02:16:35 pm
      Cheers Ayrton,
      Just telling folk how it is. the time is now for proper investment, we have probably the best chance this season of finally reaching the holy land, but only if the quality is there, we are no where near the level expected for a proper CL challenge but let's worry about that when we get there,

It's the getting there part we need right now, we don't have those quality players to get us there and that simply put has to happen in the Jan window,
      Missing out on targets or inadequate investment will most probably kill our season, we cannot expect to finish 4th with our current squad, it's down to its bare bones now,
      We also cannot expect our Luis to hang around for another season and losing him will set us back further,
      So this window is absolutely pivotal not just for this season but of the next 2or3,IMO

YNWA

I think we, and many others on here, were crying out for the investment last summer, never mind this coming January.

With all the shake-ups many of the top clubs were going through, it certainly didn't require a rocket scientist to tell us that this season was going to be our best shout in the last few years (and the coming ones) at getting as close as possible to the top of the league.

As it panned out, some investment was made, but no gambles were taken, and we saw some players slip through our grasp through a combination of dallying about, what appeared to be a very short list of prospective targets, and an unwavering line drawn on player valuations.

I agree with you and RedLfcBlood that January will surely be pivotal for our club. Unless we have a sudden string our poor results then we won't be too far off the top of the table, at least around the top four. But we also have a thin squad, and funds should be pumped in to strengthen, for the odds of keeping Suarez should we slip back down the table are grim!

We'll see how it pans out, but IMO we would struggle with £60 million to replace him, he's that good.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      Reply #108: Dec 06, 2013 04:04:50 pm
      I honestly think we should gamble with next summers transfer budget in January to try and get champions league football, its our best chance in recent years of getting it and its also our best chance of keeping Suarez by qualifying, so sign the players we need to help achieve that in January or it may come to the point where a fee is being agreed for Suarez next summer as we haven't qualified.

Totally agree mate, the time is now, well in January, we cannot afford to wait until next summer the horse may have bolted by then and quite honestly so will Suarez undoubtedly,

Just hope Brendan has the crosshairs on his targets and FSG provide the spondoolies .

YNWA
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,944 posts | 5001 
      Reply #109: Dec 06, 2013 04:16:28 pm
      I think we, and many others on here, were crying out for the investment last summer, never mind this coming January.

With all the shake-ups many of the top clubs were going through, it certainly didn't require a rocket scientist to tell us that this season was going to be our best shout in the last few years (and the coming ones) at getting as close as possible to the top of the league.

As it panned out, some investment was made, but no gambles were taken, and we saw some players slip through our grasp through a combination of dallying about, what appeared to be a very short list of prospective targets, and an unwavering line drawn on player valuations.

I agree with you and RedLfcBlood that January will surely be pivotal for our club. Unless we have a sudden string our poor results then we won't be too far off the top of the table, at least around the top four. But we also have a thin squad, and funds should be pumped in to strengthen, for the odds of keeping Suarez should we slip back down the table are grim!

We'll see how it pans out, but IMO we would struggle with £60 million to replace him, he's that good.

As a club I think most of us have crying out for proper investment for the last 6 yrs,
      I to thought last summer would see us add further quality like we did with Sturridge & Coutinho,
      and we would have had FSG not dragged their feet,
      Here's hoping then that in Jan it will be put right, not holding my breath tho.

YNWA
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,434 posts | 3417 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #110: Dec 06, 2013 04:16:39 pm
      A total no brainer, you can have all the money burning a hole in your back pocket but class on the pitch wins games
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #111: Dec 07, 2013 01:05:01 pm
      A total no brainer, you can have all the money burning a hole in your back pocket but class on the pitch wins games

F**k it, why choose? I'll have both.
      solodee

• 6,036 posts | 147 
      • Liverpool FC All The Way
      Reply #112: Dec 07, 2013 09:03:36 pm
      How many strikers in the world right now are better than Suarez. I'd rather keep him.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #113: Dec 07, 2013 09:35:22 pm
      I get the point of the question in the OP even if it is very loaded but, like many others, I'm of the opinion FSG should be spending £60m + on players to play with Luis... if they're anyway honest about being "winners", that is.

Any 'additional' spending would soon be recouped in everything from sponsorship, to merchandising, to 'win' money. Then again we've all known that from day one. Let's hope the [footballing] penny drops with JWH.

Quick Reply