Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 27th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W13 D5 L11

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match: LFC v West Ham Utd.

Mignolet
      6 (5.8%)
      Johnson
      1 (1%)
      Flanagan
      1 (1%)
      Allen
      18 (17.5%)
      Skrtel
      2 (1.9%)
      Sakho
      12 (11.7%)
      Henderson
      2 (1.9%)
      Gerrard
      1 (1%)
      SuΓ‘rez
      29 (28.2%)
      Coutinho
      26 (25.2%)
      Sterling
      5 (4.9%)
      Kelly (Sub)
      0 (0%)
      Lucas (Sub)
      0 (0%)
      Moses (Sub)
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 102

Liverpool 4-1 West Ham: In game and Post Match Glee

Read 25353 times
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Re: Liverpool 4-1 West Ham: In game and Post Match Glee
      Reply #552: Dec 07, 2013 10:27:39 pm
      I'm a big fan of Diame as well which is why I take the piss with Federer about him as he gets on as if he is the only person to spot the quality Diame has.
      billythered
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,938 posts | 4994 
      • From Doubters to Champions of the World
      Reply #553: Dec 07, 2013 10:30:05 pm
      Exactly mate. You didn't watch the game, so keep quiet on criticising a player that you have no idea how well he played!!

Moses came on amid West Ham's fight back, having just a few minutes earlier grabbed a lucky goal. Liverpool were scrambling here there and everywhere. West Ham were fighting for their 2nd, and had some good chances to get it too.

At this time, most Liverpool players were not holding the ball. Clearing it away, chasing it.. etc.

Moses was not in the game at all at this point. No fault of his own. Few players actually were.

It was only from 80 mins that Liverpool started to get control of the ball again. Moses was doing his part, but the ball rarely went down the right wing where he was playing.

When he was on the ball, he did fine. I watched him very closely because I just knew members here would love to have a rant and rave regardless of his performance. He is the new Lucas. A player to have a go at. Completely unjustified too.

I am sick of it.

I'll take it then he'll the first name on the team sheet against spuds then

w**ker
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #554: Dec 07, 2013 10:30:31 pm
      Diame is good, I wanted him when he was available on a free. He has a heart defect though and the bigger sides seem to steer clear. Failed medicals with Barca and Madrid in the past and apparently United were put off because of that too. We were probably in the same boat.

Not sure if he would fit in here, bit of a free spirit at times and the fact is our midfield outshone theirs today and Diame certainly didn't boss the midfield.

I agree with that mate but who was playing alongside him? Noble was it? Downing & Jarvis wide, Nolan? They spent most of the game trying to set a screen in front of Suarez, and I don't think "dominating" midfield was part of fat sams game plan. They were actually pretty happy to let us have it until we got into their final third for much of the game.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #555: Dec 07, 2013 10:31:57 pm

DId you actually watch the game???

I was there, and what I saw was Coutinho giving him a lesson.

How many times can one player fall for the same body swerve?
      The answer if you're Diame is, a lot.

But apart from that he wasn't too bad.

Such a pity you don't watch our players, and give them the credit and praise they are due rather than drooling over an opposition player who was made to look very ordinary on a number of occasions.
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,548 posts | 1667 
      • YNWA
      Reply #556: Dec 07, 2013 10:38:15 pm
      That's pretty funny. I've watched every Nigeria game, and he's often the stand out player.

But nevermind eh, some fans like you just pick a player to hate.  :D

Think he can definitely play better than he has been recently, and can score goals. Maybe he puts more into this international matches?! It's frustrating, cause think if he really applied himself, would be a really useful guy to have in the squad.
      If a guy has a poor day, but puts in the effort, you can respect that - but very few people have time for someone who has a poor day and doesn't look bothered. Recently that's a category Moses falls into.
      DanMann
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,754 posts | 883 
      Reply #557: Dec 07, 2013 11:09:06 pm
      I'll take it then he'll the first name on the team sheet against spuds then

W**ker

Ah, sorry mate. You sound a bit upset that I pointed out your ignorance on the matter. Cheer up eh?
      DanMann

• 5,754 posts | 883 
      Reply #558: Dec 07, 2013 11:10:03 pm
      Think he can definitely play better than he has been recently, and can score goals. Maybe he puts more into this international matches?! It's frustrating, cause think if he really applied himself, would be a really useful guy to have in the squad.
      If a guy has a poor day, but puts in the effort, you can respect that - but very few people have time for someone who has a poor day and doesn't look bothered. Recently that's a category Moses falls into.

Fair enough, but here's a question then: Did Moses play poorly today?
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #559: Dec 07, 2013 11:16:34 pm
      I rarely watch MOTD anymore but thought Id give it a look tonight and watch our "highlights".   It has to be the most biased editing of a game I have ever seen. They made it look as if West Ham dominated the first half and neglected to show Raheem Sterling and Suarez one on ones. I watched the game online and in the second half before they scored we had a series of sustained pressure and chances and it was some of the best football Ive seen at Anfield in years...none of it was shown. Thank god I dont have to rely on the whim of a sports editor with an agenda and can see for myself just how well/badly we are doing.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,255 posts | 4932 
      Reply #560: Dec 07, 2013 11:24:25 pm
      I rarely watch MOTD anymore but thought Id give it a look tonight and watch our "highlights".   It has to be the most biased editing of a game I have ever seen. They made it look as if West Ham dominated the first half and neglected to show Raheem Sterling and Suarez one on ones. I watched the game online and in the second half before they scored we had a series of sustained pressure and chances and it was some of the best football Ive seen at Anfield in years...none of it was shown. Thank god I dont have to rely on the whim of a sports editor with an agenda and can see for myself just how well/badly we are doing.

Those highlights were shocking.

I only managed to see the extended version on Sky but that gave a proper impression of how we were.
      Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #561: Dec 07, 2013 11:27:27 pm

Agree. That was an appalling highlights package. Anyone watching that would rightly have asked 'HOW did they win 4-1' when it was more than clear to see how we won 4-1 watching the whole match. Spotty nerdwank who put together that package needs shooting. Thank god for live internet streams.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #562: Dec 07, 2013 11:31:40 pm
      A few player stats from todays game :-

– Philippe Coutinho had 95 touches of the ball, the most in the game.

– Luis Suarez led the game in shots (9) and shots on-target (4).

– Philippe Coutinho and Steven Gerrard each created a game-high 5 goal-scoring opportunities.

– Mamadou Sakho completed 97% of his passes, a game-high.

– Martin Skrtel led the game with 8 successful aerial-duels.

– James Collins made 5 successful tackles, the most in the game.

– Mamadou Sakho and Mohamed Diame each made 3 interceptions, the most in the game.

– Martin Skrtel led the game with 15 defensive-clearances.

– Philippe Coutinho, Raheem Sterling, and Stewart Downing all attempted 6 crosses, the most in the game.

– Steven Gerrard completed more long-passes than any other outfield player.

– Luis Suarez completed 6 successful dribbles, three-times the number of any other player.

– Suarez, Philippe Coutinho, and Guy Demel were all fouled 3 times, a game-high.

– Modibo Maiga was the most-dispossessed player (5).

http://thepremierleagueowl.com/liverpool-vs-west-ham-individual-player-statistics/
      wolves76
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 84 posts |
      Reply #563: Dec 07, 2013 11:32:51 pm
      exactly.....live streams and downloading the WHOLE game afterwards......I am probably too pissed off about this but it is obvious who put the highlights together has some kind of agenda...be it anti Liverpool or pro West Ham....just pathetic.
      QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #564: Dec 07, 2013 11:38:13 pm
      Im going to go against what most posted here. I think our Defence was shocking. And Jhonno was absolutely average. He wasted many MANY crosses, missplaced passes, and was useless in almost every 2-1s that the team attempted. I said many times that maybe its a cultural thing, and as a Latin I watch football differently than most of you, but I cant believe the praise he got just because he crossed ONE ball correctly in the whole match, when he effectively broke up so many more.

Cou was great, and pupeteered almost every attack. His shooting was way off, but he is getting there.
      Still think Sterling is quite lightweight, but he tried really hard, and suceeded many times in annoying their Defenders
      Cant understand why Kolo isnt playing ahead of Martin S, he is quite average, and for a team that prioritizes distribution, his is abysmal
      Sakho is turning out to be quite remarkable, very neat and sober most of the times, and great interceptions. Sufferd in a few crosses, as all our Ds do
      Congratulations Joe Allen on a very pleasent display
      Stevens contribution was unnoticed untill he left the field and we realized he was doing a great job holding our midfield together.
      Henderson was his usual self, still think he is (in DIegos words) a headless chicken who puts in tons of effort but doesnt bring much to the table
      Lucas is a Loooong way from his best version
      The Mig was fantastic once again
      Flanno still has much to learn, cant wait for Enriques return. His understanding with Suarez was amazing
      Suarez had one of his worst matches of the year and still my MOTM. His Maradonesque moments are still something to behold, even when they just dont turn out like they should.

2nd in the league, and if we manage to do well in the next 3... i am really, really going to start believing we have a shot at the Prem
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #565: Dec 08, 2013 12:00:07 am
      Good game that.

WH had a game plan and it was working until a fortuitous goal for us. They looked quite organised. We stepped it up in the second half though especially around the 50 min to the 60 min, we pinned them back and was so unlucky not to go three ahead. The onslaught didn't reap the rewards and in typical fashion they get a lucky goal back changing the complexion of the game. At this point I thought it would end 2-2 seeing as we are still a little shaky at the back but the lads showed brilliant character and coolness and changed that momentum back into their favour by keeping posession (in the lead up to the third goal) to open WH up.

A deserved win.

Sahko should hold his place at the expense of Agger - as he had another commanding game back there, we really need to settle for a partnership (one of the reasons that is making us look shaky IMO).

Joe Allen, I think the confidence is starting to come back and some of his movement, vision and passing is something the midfield could do with. He had a sound game and added some much need quality on the ball.

Sterling, I thought looked better as with Allen looks better the more he has played recently and I think he really links up well with Luis. Always busy, always supporting Luis and trying to make things happen and looks MUCH more of a threat than Moses. Couldn't believe he came off at Moses' expense as he had a good game and looked a threat.

Luis was Luis, a real menace and footballing terrorist (watch out England!)

Henderson was Henderson, plenty of running but never seems to capitalise on the situations he finds himself in and lacks end product.

Coutinho was good, busy working on creating as much as he could - would love to see a little more end product from him too. Good player tho'.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #566: Dec 08, 2013 12:09:34 am
      Good game that.

WH had a game plan and it was working until a fortuitous goal for us. They looked quite organised. We stepped it up in the second half though especially around the 50 min to the 60 min, we pinned them back and was so unlucky not to go three ahead. The onslaught didn't reap the rewards and in typical fashion they get a lucky goal back changing the complexion of the game. At this point I thought it would end 2-2 seeing as we are still a little shaky at the back but the lads showed brilliant character and coolness and changed that momentum back into their favour by keeping posession (in the lead up to the third goal) to open WH up.

A deserved win.

Sahko should hold his place at the expense of Agger - as he had another commanding game back there, we really need to settle for a partnership (one of the reasons that is making us look shaky IMO).

Joe Allen, I think the confidence is starting to come back and some of his movement, vision and passing is something the midfield could do with. He had a sound game and added some much need quality on the ball.

Sterling, I thought looked better as with Allen looks better the more he has played recently and I think he really links up well with Luis. Always busy, always supporting Luis and trying to make things happen and looks MUCH more of a threat than Moses. Couldn't believe he came off at Moses' expense as he had a good game and looked a threat.

Luis was Luis, a real menace and footballing terrorist (watch England!)

Henderson was Henderson, plenty of running but never seems to capitalise on the situations he finds himself in and lacks end product.

Coutinho was good, busy working on creating as much as he could - would love to see a little more end product from him too. Good player tho'.

Good post, I agree with most of it apart from the bit about Sterling. I was quite happy to see Sterling coming off.... until I saw who was coming on! I thought Stirling was wasteful with the ball and took way too long making his mind up what to do with it. The number of moves that broke down once the ball reached Sterling was .... well it was a lot anyway.

He does some good things, makes intelligent runs and has the pace to hurt teams but he really needs to work on his decision making and passing.
      racerx34
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 33,611 posts | 3844 
      • THE SALT IN THE SOUP
      Reply #567: Dec 08, 2013 12:10:15 am
      redraider
      • Forum Billy Liddell

• 568 posts | 20 
      Reply #568: Dec 08, 2013 12:13:20 am
      I know its totally off-thread but i'd just like to say "The Chosen One" I admire what you're doing at Manc I really do.  If anyone is capable of flushing them down the toilet its you!  Can't believe the accelerated implosion going on over there.  Ironically the bitters must be thinking they're better off, i mean come on, Martinez is soooo much better.  ho ho ho.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #569: Dec 08, 2013 12:15:52 am
      redkop63

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #570: Dec 08, 2013 12:32:11 am
      My thoughts on the players' performance  :-

1.  Mignolet - Often did not get enough praises. Again he kept us in the match with a world class save against that header headeng towards goal at high speed. If West ham had scored, the game and result could turn out differently. So I named him MOTM.

2.  Sakho - He's boss, not scared of putting in the tackles and has somehwhat given us stability in defence.

3.  Flano  - Had a good game and made a few mistakes here and there,  But considering his age and experience, he has done well and can only improve from here.  Ball distribution into the box could be better and he'll be a very good wing back.

4.  Skrtel  -  Did very well, challenged for the ball and tackled hard. Had a near perfect game if not for that clumsy own goal. I kept saying if he cares to challenge for the ball early or put in the tackles early or close down the space fast, he'll be a monster of a player. That's exactly what we saw today. He's soemwhat inconsistent, one game played like a perfect player next all the weaknesses there.

5.  Johnson - Had an average game and contributed with a very good cross for Suarez to head into goal. More practices on the pitch on combos with players at the edge of the box would make him more effective and create more scoring chances for us.

6.  Hendo  -  I've been his strongest critic, to be fair to him he played very well in this game. He has done exactly what he should be doing in every game, putting in challenges and not running with the opposition players, stormed into the opposition box and made a few scoring chances and shot from outside and inside the opposition box, harass their midfield players non-stop and more importantly less of the side and back passes. If he keeps it that way his game can only improve from here.

7. Stevie  -  Played well and put in some strong tackles to nullify their midfield and strayed some very good long passes. Hopefully it's nothing serious with his injury.

8.  Allen - Played very well. Perhaps he has done some serious work at the gym. Never got bullied like before. Put in some strong tackles and his game was very neat and discipline, no nonsense type. reminds me very much of Steve McMahon.

9.  Lucas  - Looked a bit rusty when he came on thereby loosing possession that led to the goal. Had an average game.

10. Coutinho  -  He's shown once again why loosing Alonso has done so much harm to us over the last few seasons. When he's in possession, we know he will create something inside the box. Honestly, nothing much wrong him in this game, it's never easy to make a world class defence splitting pass, then end result will always be glaring, but it will be more meaningful than those side and back passes. The front line must be in sync with him and more combos training with the front line will do us a world of a good. He and Suarez can be decoys at times and let the opposition players crowd over them and we free someone else into the box.

11.  Suarez - Suarez will always be Suarez, buzzing all over the pitch. Only a world class player can head that kind of ball into the net. We have to make sure that we ended up top 4 to keep him here and FSG will have to consider seriously to get in at least one if not two players in the transfer window to compliment the team.

12.  Sterling  -  Had a very good game, troubled their defence most of the time but with not much end results. The awareness of fellow players inside the box seems to be lacking and indicisive at times. If he could improve on that he will be a world class player. Must get into the box to shoot more often. Used his speed and body well against opposition players and was hardworking to track back to defend. In view of his age and experience, I'd say he has done very well and can only improve from here.

13.  Moses - Can be a very good player or can be a passsenger in a game. He is most dangerous when just outside the box as what we saw when he was with Chelsea, sudden surge into the box to open up defences and to shoot.  He will be effective if play behind Sturridge and Suarez.  He's no winger but will do him a world of a good if he could be like Sterling to track back and defend.

Overall, everyone had a very good game while West Ham is not as poor as what the scoreline suggests. They have a few big bodies and not easy to play against and had a few scoring chances themselves, hopefull they'll do so against the man utd, arsenal, chelsea, spurs and man city.

For me, the most positive of all is, we committed enough bodies inside the box to force the ball over the line on 2 or perhaps 3 occassions, otherwise the scorline would most probably be 1-1.

Others may have different opinions but different people sees the game differently.

Dadorious

• 9,882 posts | 1545 
      Reply #571: Dec 08, 2013 12:33:29 am
      Strange game that one in the sense we could have put 8 past them and all the scrappy deflected goals but they all count. Allen grew in confidence as the game went on and he did extremely well when pushed up after Stevie came off. Agree with quico I thought our defending was bollocks too and we could have been punished severely had they had more quality up front.
      andykeay86
      • On Trial

• 1 posts |
      Reply #572: Dec 08, 2013 01:04:50 am
      Very good win and nice to go back second in table, Suarez brilliant as always and Allen has really stepped up his game.

Redone
      • Forum Paul Ince

• 82 posts |
      Reply #573: Dec 08, 2013 02:20:43 am
      allen and sakho had good game today. we needed someone good in the air when defending, we needed some mobility in the middle of the park, the pair have done wellwas unlucky with the goal tho, otherwise would have a rare cleansheet.
      lester76
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,810 posts | 242 
      Reply #574: Dec 08, 2013 02:23:17 am
      Great result.
      Not a bad performance and at times wonderful.
      Best things were the performance of joe Allen and his growing confidence and the team keeping together after west ham got a goal back.
      3 points
      Well done

Quick Reply