Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 28th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P27 W14 D8 L5

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match v Spuds?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      2 (1%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Martin Skrtel
      1 (0.5%)
      Jon Flanagan
      10 (5.1%)
      Jordan Henderson
      122 (61.6%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (1%)
      Joe Allen
      2 (1%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      2 (1%)
      Luis Suarez
      47 (23.7%)
      Raheem Sterling
      10 (5.1%)
      Luis Alberto
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 196

Voting closed: Dec 18, 2013 06:04:29 pm

Spurs 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delight

Read 41369 times
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Re: Spurs 0-5 Liverpool: In game and Post Match Delight
      Reply #736: Dec 17, 2013 05:02:17 pm
      I hope this embeds now, but this is a video of our general defensive game on Sunday. Something which was very impressive. Pressing, high up the pitch too I may add and general hunting the ball in packs.

Defending

Cheers for posting this mate. While most people can (and should) gush about Barcelona's elaborate passing game over the last few years, I think their pressing is what made them truly unplayable. They hunted as a unit, closed down passing lanes, and pressured the ball like no other. Midfielders never had time to look up and pick a pass.

Midfielders need to have a perfect series of touches to get around that. I think Tottenham felt that weight on Sunday, because of the way we pressed. They didn't get a moment on the ball to pick a pass. That's the kind of energy and nous we miss when Stevie is in the team. He offers his own strengths, but pressing like that won't be as consistent with him as one of the midfield three.

Silver lining for me was Johnson's performance. He's really dropped a level, unfortunately. Still decent in the final third, but with Raheem staying wide right we didn't need him to provide width. He gave the ball away multiple times in very threatening positions. I still rate him, but that's beginning to be based on remembered performances than ones he's put up recently.
      little-Luis:)
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 7,844 posts | 179 
      Reply #737: Dec 17, 2013 05:08:51 pm
      Silver lining for me was Johnson's performance. He's really dropped a level, unfortunately. Still decent in the final third, but with Raheem staying wide right we didn't need him to provide width.

Thought this as well during the game and said it to one of the lads.

When Sterling is playing, we didn't need Johnson's attacking play as we had some natural with in him, whereas when someone like Henderson, or even Coutinho is playing up there they tend to drift infield more and thus requiring Johnson to provide the natural width. I'm not sure if the manager has these instructions but it's just a theory.
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #738: Dec 17, 2013 05:46:58 pm

Thought this as well during the game and said it to one of the lads.

When Sterling is playing, we didn't need Johnson's attacking play as we had some natural with in him, whereas when someone like Henderson, or even Coutinho is playing up there they tend to drift infield more and thus requiring Johnson to provide the natural width. I'm not sure if the manager has these instructions but it's just a theory.

glad others see this as well.  Johnson needs to step up a bit here.  If I was a manager and my team was playing liverpool, I would target Johnson's side all day long.  I said it earlier but if you look at the Spurs attack and the ones that were successful in crossing into the box, a good majority of them came from Johnson's side.  he had bad positioning and even at one point got confused as to which player to mark. 

I still rate the lad however,  if he develops his defensive game, I still think he has a future with us.  He just has to remember, he is a defender first.... everything else is just a bonus. 
      RedPuppy
      • Still European.
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 19,253 posts | 2855 
      • Parum Rutilus Canis: Illegitimi non carborundum
      Reply #739: Dec 17, 2013 05:55:17 pm

I don't think anyone on here has been that daft as to predict an unbeaten season.

QuicoGalante
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,509 posts | 120 
      • Uruguay 2030
      Reply #740: Dec 17, 2013 06:58:39 pm

I don't think anyone on here has been that daft as to predict an unbeaten season.

:lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao: :lmao:. Talk about selling the bears fur before hunting it...
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #741: Dec 17, 2013 07:00:37 pm

:lmao: F**k me!
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #742: Dec 17, 2013 07:54:52 pm

Must be some sort of dumb-ass, only explanation.
      Ebieahi
      • Forum Ronnie Moran

• 382 posts | 45 
      Reply #743: Dec 17, 2013 07:56:56 pm
      What a performance. I always believed we could win, but never imagined that we would absolutely hammer Spurs at the lane as we did.
      Everybody played there part when required and it was simply a brilliant team performance.
      Special mention to our standout performers (Henderson, Suarez and Sterling) who really set up this performance right from the start with their energy and quality play.

I hope the players enjoyed that performance and that they are now focussed on breaking down a Cardiff team who will no doubt look to stifle our attacking play.

Sadly though, the only person happier is probably our owner who will tighten his purse after being proven that money doesnt guarantee results...although im hopeful that he goes the other way and actually takes the opportunity to invest in strengthening our squad coz we have a great opportunity to build some belief and momentum on the back of such a result.
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #744: Dec 17, 2013 08:14:13 pm
      Yeah Johnson was shocking on Sunday, just didn't seem like his heart was in it. I was watching the 2012 cup final highlights against Cardiff and Johnson looked a lot lighter, faster and more alert. He's beefed up a lot and, although he can still hit a fair old pace when he gets going, it just seems like his agility and acceleration have suffered. I saw him at times in that game when he had been caught out of position and he was just jogging back. Sooner Kelly gets back the better, Johnson could do with some reflecting time on the bench.
      JD
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 39,650 posts | 6947 
      Reply #745: Dec 17, 2013 08:32:30 pm
      Sooner Kelly gets back the better, Johnson could do with some reflecting time on the bench.

ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,372 posts | 1029 
      Reply #746: Dec 17, 2013 08:40:04 pm
      JD as funny as that gif is, I stand by the comment. Who would have replaced Enrique with Flanno? Not me. Not only does it allow young players to make a name for themselves but it also gives those players like Johnson a kick up the backside. He has been slacking for a while now and when he is in form it's all too short lived.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #747: Dec 17, 2013 08:51:53 pm
      Yeah Johnson was shocking on Sunday, just didn't seem like his heart was in it. I was watching the 2012 cup final highlights against Cardiff and Johnson looked a lot lighter, faster and more alert. He's beefed up a lot and, although he can still hit a fair old pace when he gets going, it just seems like his agility and acceleration have suffered. I saw him at times in that game when he had been caught out of position and he was just jogging back. Sooner Kelly gets back the better, Johnson could do with some reflecting time on the bench.

Johnson isn't the full ticket at the moment, but I don't know about Kelly. As much as I'd love him to succeed, I can't see it happening. I think it was West Brom he was taken on in the last 15-20 minutes, and he looked very jittery and unconvincing on the ball. Nothing like Cissokho but I wouldn't rely on him just yet. I hope I'm proven wrong, as it's always the best when youngsters come up through the ranks.

I always thought he was preferred centre back though? He's a tall guy and could have proved useful there given the time, but yet again, I can't see where his chance would come with that, given our centre backs of Agger, Skrtel, Sakho and Toure.
      HScRed1
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,191 posts | 4405 
      Reply #748: Dec 17, 2013 09:02:10 pm
      Johnson isn't the full ticket at the moment, but I don't know about Kelly. As much as I'd love him to succeed, I can't see it happening. I think it was West Brom he was taken on in the last 15-20 minutes, and he looked very jittery and unconvincing on the ball. Nothing like Cissokho but I wouldn't rely on him just yet. I hope I'm proven wrong, as it's always the best when youngsters come up through the ranks.

I always thought he was preferred centre back though? He's a tall guy and could have proved useful there given the time, but yet again, I can't see where his chance would come with that, given our centre backs of Agger, Skrtel, Sakho and Toure.

Give him time, he is coming back from a potentially career ending injury. Not up-to match fitness yet and also probably needs to get over the psychological effect of worrying about getting another serious injury.
      CORNISH
      • Forum David Johnson

• 234 posts |
      Reply #749: Dec 17, 2013 09:16:04 pm
      On a serious note...........
      If we have the desire and inclination we will put 10 past  someone this season and TBH it wouldnt surprise me if it was this weekend coming.
      fields of anny rd
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,663 posts | 1961 
      Reply #750: Dec 17, 2013 09:17:06 pm
      If we have the desire and inclination we will put 10 past  someone this season and TBH it wouldnt surprise me if it was this weekend coming.

1-0 would do me tbh
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #751: Dec 17, 2013 09:19:01 pm

Yeah, could well be Cardiff on Saturdee. A thrashing is round the corner for someone.
      harrydunn08

• 5,921 posts | 964 
      Reply #752: Dec 17, 2013 09:29:33 pm
      Yeah, could well be Cardiff on Saturdee. Another thrashing is round the corner for someone.

Fixed that for you ;)
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #753: Dec 17, 2013 09:30:58 pm
      Give him time, he is coming back from a potentially career ending injury. Not up-to match fitness yet and also probably needs to get over the psychological effect of worrying about getting another serious injury.

True, did not think of that, he did look very tentative and given the fact it was his cruciate ligament it's understandable - I didn't think Flanagan would make it after his run under Dalglish but he's proven me wrong.
      JC16
      • Forum Ian Callaghan

• 861 posts | 86 
      Reply #754: Dec 17, 2013 10:16:08 pm
      Got home from work and watched the match again.  Paid close attention to the defense.  Sakho was freaking immense against Spurs.  His reading of the game.  Helping Flanno out with Lennon.  His passing.  Very under rated buy. 

Of course when you put 5 goals in the MOTM is going to be an attacking player (I voted for Hendo) but in hindsight after watching again, Sakho was immense.
      kevinho
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,698 posts | 78 
      • YNWA
      Reply #755: Dec 17, 2013 11:04:07 pm
      Got home from work and watched the match again.  Paid close attention to the defense.  Sakho was freaking immense against Spurs.  His reading of the game.  Helping Flanno out with Lennon.  His passing.  Very under rated buy. 

Of course when you put 5 goals in the MOTM is going to be an attacking player (I voted for Hendo) but in hindsight after watching again, Sakho was immense.

Agreed! I thought we really missed a chance to put the game to bed when he hit the post with his header, too.

I've been really surprised by his distribution. He doesn't look as natural on the ball as Agger, but he seems to have a very good eye for a pass. The backpass that ended up at Mignolet's feet, though. That could have cost us a goal and changed the entire complexion of the game. He needs to cut that out. He also had a header that he was trying to pass to one of our midfielders, but instead put it right at a Spud player's foot. I think it led to the Soldado half chance right at the start of the second half.

Been very pleased with his contribution to the team, and I can't believe his age.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #756: Dec 17, 2013 11:16:45 pm
      Just been sent this, disgusting..

Frankly, Mr Shankly
      Reply #757: Dec 17, 2013 11:22:03 pm

Disgusting but can't say I'm surprised. Sociopaths. That's all they are.
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #758: Dec 17, 2013 11:23:10 pm

Hope he gets run over by a truck!

Quick Reply