Trending Topics

Next match: Atalanta v LFC [Europa League] Thu 18th Apr @ 8:00 pm - Pre Match Topic
      Stadio di Bergamo

Today is the 18th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P31 W9 D10 L12

"Vaping". Smoking cessation with E-Cigs

Read 23601 times
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      "Vaping". Smoking cessation with E-Cigs
      Dec 18, 2013 06:40:54 pm
      When I started training for running a marathon, I thought I'd better pack in smoking, which is something I'd wanted to do anyway.

Sadly, my legs and ankles couldn't take hauling me around at a run or even a jog, but I did discover "Vape" kits, or vapourised nicotine.

These are better known as E-cigs, but what I didn't know is that they come in a very wide range of kits.
      You have your basic vapouriser, to which you attach a clearomiser where the liquid goes, and then the better ones will give you different rates of "burn" depending on how much nicotine that you want to take in.

Now I have to add a disclaimer here and confess that I'm a big fan of nicotine.
      In fact I love the stuff when I'm having a drink.

What I don't like is the delivery systems that I used before discovering "vaping".

I haven't smoked a fag in months now, I don't miss them at all, although I still have an occasional cigar.

I get my nicotine fix via the system I use.
      I bought an itaste VV 3.0 (yeah I know it sounds like a tech product ;D) and whilst it's not top of the range, it's perfectly adequate for my needs.
      I also buy different flavour liquids to use in it, which makes a nice change sometimes.

A lot of people use this system to cut down and stop altogether, and I've read about a lot of successes.
      I might go down that road at some point in the future, but for now I'm perfectly happy with this new way of getting my fix.

I'm not going to try and say it's for everyone, and as well as that I still go outside to use it rather than have people giving me disgusted looks and then trying to explain it's not tobacco smoke.
      It also doesn't smell like tobacco does, but because it produces a vapour which looks like tobacco smoke, people jump to the inevitable (wrong) conclusion, so I find it easier just to step out for a few minutes from the pub/club/restaurant.

Overall, I'd recommend this system.
      It costs a few quid to get started (under 50 for me) but soon shows quite big savings over tobacco.
      The health benefits are more immediate, and are pretty much the same (or were for me) as stopping smokes immediately.

If anyone is looking to quit for the new year or whenever, I'd recommend it.

For info, I got my kit here:
      http://myepack.co.uk/

There's lots of sites around, but I went with this one recommended by a mate.
      « Last Edit: Dec 18, 2013 06:53:46 pm by Swab »
      HKIred
      • Forum Emlyn Hughes

• 751 posts | 34 
      Re: "Vaping". Smoking cessation with E-Cigs
      Reply #1: Dec 19, 2013 04:43:34 pm
      Good for you.

After 25 years of smoking, I switched vaping two years ago and I have't looked back  :D

And if we are advertising, then I have tested +10 different kits and my current favorite is
      SPOILER (Tap to show)
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #2: Dec 19, 2013 05:12:23 pm
      They sell them in St Johns not the market the actual shopping centre itself, never thought of trying them. Might try them on Saturday if it isn't busy.
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #3: Dec 19, 2013 06:29:33 pm
      Good for you.

After 25 years of smoking, I switched vaping two years ago and I have't looked back  :D

And if we are advertising, then I have tested +10 different kits and my current favorite is
      SPOILER (Tap to show)

That's a nice one alright.

I might give that one a go when the itaste goes tits up, which it's sure to do at some point (I've got a cheap spare as well ;)  )

I haven't really got into the different flavours too much yet, but I think I'm going to try a few more of them.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #4: Dec 23, 2013 09:22:05 pm
      Try these guys..http://www.totallywicked-eliquid.co.uk
      All the e-juices made by TW are from the UK and are EU regulated..and are reasonably priced as well
      You just gotta be careful when you're buying your juice that it's not some crazy mix from China that could harm you in the long run as not enough research has been done on the long term effects.. one things for sure is that you don't fill your lungs with up to 4,000 toxins each time you drag on an analogue..
      I started on 2.4mg of a nicotine hit and i'm now Vaping 0mg nicotine in various tasty Red Label flavours..through my RCS -V3 Tornado.
      I'm a Vapaholic !!
      My Breathing, sense of smell, taste and general overall health is a million times better and improving all the time..
      Totally agree though , fantastic way to pack in the stinkies this January...
      « Last Edit: Dec 23, 2013 10:20:31 pm by 6stringer »
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #5: Dec 23, 2013 10:52:52 pm
      Haven't had a ciggy in 5 days, wondering about getting a vape outfit.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #6: Dec 23, 2013 11:23:35 pm
      Haven't had a ciggy in 5 days, wondering about getting a vape outfit.
      Its well worth it mate..
      I seriously haven't looked back..
      Although, if, as you have said, you can go 5 days without a bifter then you could pack in for good without a Vape kit..
      I tried the patches and the gum and I just couldn't do it.. Then a mate introduced me to Vaping and I was hooked immediately..Once I got the nicotine balance right to start with I just gradually worked my way down the nic chart..
      The cash you save is amazing as well..
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #7: Dec 24, 2013 12:00:14 am
      I had two cigs a couple of weeks ago, cured my hankering for another year or two.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #8: Dec 24, 2013 09:22:17 am
      Its well worth it mate..
      I seriously haven't looked back..
      Although, if, as you have said, you can go 5 days without a bifter then you could pack in for good without a Vape kit..
      I tried the patches and the gum and I just couldn't do it.. Then a mate introduced me to Vaping and I was hooked immediately..Once I got the nicotine balance right to start with I just gradually worked my way down the nic chart..
      The cash you save is amazing as well..

It's different strokes mate, my Mrs is hooked on the chewies but they do nothing for me. Had a bevvy the other night and left the ciggies alone so I'm doing something rite.
      If I had to pay full wack I'd have give them a miss years ago but my daughter is aircrew and gets 'em cheap, although money is irrelevant in that situation.
      Have a go with the vape maybe, can't do any harm. 
      Swab
      • Forum Legend - Paisley
      • Started Topic

• 13,361 posts | 3462 
      Reply #9: Dec 24, 2013 06:54:25 pm
      It's different strokes mate, my Mrs is hooked on the chewies but they do nothing for me. Had a bevvy the other night and left the ciggies alone so I'm doing something rite.
      If I had to pay full wack I'd have give them a miss years ago but my daughter is aircrew and gets 'em cheap, although money is irrelevant in that situation.

Works a treat for me.

I'd recommend giving it a go.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #10: Dec 24, 2013 07:46:26 pm
      Paul packed in the ciggies in April by vaping.  He's still using them now and has lots of different flavours.  I tried them but still needed the 'hit' of nicotine and couldn't be bothered with all the charging up, re wicking etc as I'm away from home 3 days a week, so for me it's still ciggies.

Billy1
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,638 posts | 1966 
      Reply #11: Dec 25, 2013 08:32:09 am
      stuey I gave the ciggies away 21 years ago next week,I went cold turkey and looking back it is the best thing I ever did.I used to smoke about 30 Rothmans a day.Stick with it mate and you won't regret it.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #12: Dec 25, 2013 11:49:17 am
      Santa got me a couple of 5ml bottles of tasty e-juices this morning..
      Banana flavour & Coconut flavour.. just mixed em up now...Nice !..
      I'll probably vape a bottle during tomorrows game..
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #13: Jan 06, 2014 07:35:09 pm
      Just wondering if anyone has switched to the e-cig juice as a substitute for the dreaded bifters as move in to the new year?... if so how are getting on?...
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #14: Jan 19, 2014 08:49:05 am
      Works a treat for me.

I'd recommend giving it a go.

Got the vape gear over 2 weeks ago and haven't had a ciggie, I do notice tho' I'm getting really wheezy and short of breath, was wondering is this a side effect with the actual vapour and has anyone else experienced this.
      Thought maybe it could be the effects of all those years smoking catching up now there's nothing masking it.
      reddebs
      • "LFC Hipster"
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 17,980 posts | 2264 
      Reply #15: Jan 19, 2014 01:32:16 pm
      Got the vape gear over 2 weeks ago and haven't had a ciggie, I do notice tho' I'm getting really wheezy and short of breath, was wondering is this a side effect with the actual vapour and has anyone else experienced this.
      Thought maybe it could be the effects of all those years smoking catching up now there's nothing masking it.

Yeah it's your body clearing out all the crap Stuey, it'll go eventually mate.
      heimdall
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 13,818 posts | 2724 
      Reply #16: Jan 19, 2014 01:40:10 pm
      Yeah it's your body clearing out all the crap Stuey, it'll go eventually mate.

Yeah, agree, if you've been smoking for a while then it takes a few months for the body to completely get rid of all the tar and other crap that's accumulated. It is well worth quitting though, it's been over 10 years since I last smoked, I still have to occasional cuban cigar and have tried these vapo things once or twice, they seem like a good idea but don't really do much for me.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #17: Jan 19, 2014 05:25:20 pm
      Thanks guys, was actually thinking of knockin it in the head but will carry on now I know it's par for the course.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #18: Jan 19, 2014 08:09:00 pm
      Thanks guys, was actually thinking of knockin it in the head but will carry on now I know it's par for the course.

First of all , well done Stuey for giving it a real go..You haven't said how long you have been smoking or what strength and amount but i'm sure you'll agree to go 2 whole weeks without lighting up is pretty impressive..
      I agree with the other guys.. It'll be your system clearing itself out..
      There's no embarrassment going and chatting about it to your GP you know..he'll be on your side and will prob give you something for your wheezing.. either way he's not gonna give you a hard time..
      What nicotine strength is the juice you're vaping ?..
      Most people I've spoke to who vape take about a month or so to settle on strength and flavour but once they find the right balance it's goodbye tobacco..
      My choice at the mo is Totally Wicked's Cinnamon 1.1 strength & 0.6 strength Columbian Coffee mixed together.. vey nice indeed... 8), mainly of an evening with a drink or three ;)..I bought an extra tank with pretty much zero strength Blackberry in it during the day at work..
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #19: Jan 19, 2014 09:02:38 pm
      Cheers mate been was smoking  for 40+ years, the strength is pretty high on the stuff I'm using but I'll lower it as I go.
      On cherry vape at the moment with the slightest suggestion of tobacco, I've got inhalers off the doc but still get short of breath, it'll sort itself out.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #20: Feb 03, 2014 07:47:38 pm
      Cheers mate been was smoking  for 40+ years, the strength is pretty high on the stuff I'm using but I'll lower it as I go.
      On cherry vape at the moment with the slightest suggestion of tobacco, I've got inhalers off the doc but still get short of breath, it'll sort itself out.

Hows the wheezing/chesty cough mate?.. any better?
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 35,999 posts | 3950 
      Reply #21: Feb 03, 2014 08:31:05 pm
      Still haven't had a ciggy mate but still wheezy, have you heard of people getting choked using the vape?
      I got some vape off e-bay but I don't think it's kosher, gonna stick to the local shop in future.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #22: Feb 03, 2014 08:56:00 pm
      Still haven't had a ciggy mate but still wheezy, have you heard of people getting choked using the vape?
      I got some vape off e-bay but I don't think it's kosher, gonna stick to the local shop in future.

Vape is infact vapour which can dry your mouth out..so have a bottle o water to help things..
      Haven't tried any of the juice off e-bay as i've bought all mine from Totally Wicked local shop.. Is there a TW shop near you?.. worth trying a bottle of what they offer..

Quick Reply