Trending Topics

Next match: Fulham v LFC [Premier League] Sun 21st Apr @ 4:30 pm
      Craven Cottage

Today is the 19th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P32 W19 D8 L5

Bitcoins

Read 2234 times
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Bitcoins
      Dec 22, 2013 01:17:14 pm
      Ok I'm quite curious about getting on-board the Bitcoin bandwagon. Has anyone bought bitcoins before? Is it safe?
      Tayls
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 5,378 posts | 510 
      Re: Bitcoins
      Reply #1: Dec 22, 2013 03:50:22 pm
      Yes, it's 'safe', if by safe you mean is it a scam or not? Bitcoin is a peer-to-peer currency. This is from an article I'll link below

To conduct a transaction, the buyer requests an update to a public transaction log within the blockchain. The blockchain is managed by a decentralized network that verifies and puts a time-stamp on payments. This network is maintained by Bitcoin “miners” that receive transaction fee rewards and new Bitcoins. There are around 12.1 million Bitcoins in circulation today with the total number being capped at 21 million.

It's just another form of currency (only it's digital), and remembering a golden rule of capitalism; something is worth whatever someone else is willing to pay for it. The prices are extremely volatile ($13 start of year, $1,200 start of Dec) and so is very tough to predict I'd guess. Recently the price was roughly halved because the Chinese gov. has stopped their banks from accepting bitcoins.

Here's an article on bitcoins, the recent price drop and plans for retailers who want to start accepting bitcoins from next year:
      http://www.forbes.com/sites/amitchowdhry/2013/12/21/overstock-com-is-going-to-accept-bitcoin-in-2014/

Interestingly there are other digital currencies, but bitcoin has received the most publicity.

Incidently I'm no expert and have never invested in bitcoins or other digital currencies, I just keep vaguely up to date on these things.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #2: Dec 22, 2013 04:07:34 pm
      Don't buy or mine Bitcoins - they're plummeting in value.

Mine Dogecoins instead ;)
      Dmasta
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,895 posts | 553 
      Reply #3: Dec 22, 2013 04:40:42 pm
      Don't buy or mine Bitcoins - they're plummeting in value.

Mine Dogecoins instead ;)
      Much Dogecoins
      Many Good
      Correct Res
      Wow
      Aggerdoo
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 3,480 posts | 231 
      Reply #4: Dec 22, 2013 10:02:04 pm
      Oh the volatility does not phase me, its similar to shares and other investments in that respect. And theres no transaction fees or commission for bitcoin trades.

I've even saw a UK accountancy firm now accepted Bitcoins for payment!

But still the security issue (especially with the hacking stories) is a little concern for me.
      « Last Edit: Dec 22, 2013 10:30:01 pm by nelioneil »
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #5: Dec 22, 2013 11:59:27 pm
      I've even saw a UK accountancy firm now accepted Bitcoins for payment!

Not for long if they keep fluctuating the way they are...

Quick Reply