Trending Topics

Next match: LFC v Spurs [Premier League] Sun 5th May @ 4:30 pm
      Anfield

Today is the 29th of April and on this date LFC's match record is P29 W11 D6 L12

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match v City?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Aly Cissokho
      2 (1.7%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      9 (7.6%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (1.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      29 (24.4%)
      Joe Allen
      7 (5.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      13 (10.9%)
      Luis Suarez
      22 (18.5%)
      Raheem Sterling
      34 (28.6%)
      Victor Moses
      0 (0%)
      Iago Aspas
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: Dec 29, 2013 07:39:29 pm

Man City 2-1 LFC: In Game and Post Match Debates

Read 34702 times
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Re: Man City 2-1 LFC: In Game and Post Match Debates
      Reply #713: Dec 27, 2013 10:36:12 pm

What worries me now after Brendans outburst, is what price a Chelsea pen on Sunday, through Skrtel's shirt pulling ? Especially with motormouth Owen on about it every time he co-commentates.

What outburst? It wasn't an outburst, he was saying exactly how he felt and how the supporters felt. What he said was true it was complete bollocks the officiating from kick off to the final whistle. Rodgers takes no sh*t and I'm glad he said what he said.

We will get the last laugh from the FA when we hammer the rent boys sending us straight back in the top 3.
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #714: Dec 27, 2013 10:38:16 pm
      I'm at the point where you can see exactly what Rodgers is trying to instill, if he feels any player needs to be shipped out as they are not fitting with what he's trying to achieve then I'm all for it, whether that be Skrtel, Agger, Lucas etc, I'm beginning to think Lucas's future at the club is in jeopardy and that he'll probably moved on in the summer.

Yeah I think you're right Daz.

I get that feeling about Lucas too and I have no problem at all with it but we need someone better to replace him and some cover. There's no point shipping him out and landing ourselves in the same situation, which however highly or lowly you rate Lucas we just don't have proper cover.

Shipping 1 for 1 would just be asking for trouble. I would personally prefer Lucas kept as cover and a better one brought in ahead of him but the powers that be probably wont allow that on the wages he's on.

Agger or Skrtel, I have no issue with either. Absolutely as a fan I have a connection with Agger, but for the progress of the club I don't see him having a long term future here. There's no chance he's going to be happy to remain as a squad player and I feel he has now fallen to that status. As for Skrtel I've never truly rated him, he had one fantastic season that started to swing my opinion but 1 out of 3 isn't good enough. Problem on this one is that we've spent a huge amount on the defence, are about to spend more I believe on wing/full-backs and we have a midfield short on quality and numbers. CB might be made less of a priority for now.
      redkop63
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 6,890 posts | 455 
      Reply #715: Dec 27, 2013 10:40:52 pm
      I'm at the point where you can see exactly what Rodgers is trying to instill, if he feels any player needs to be shipped out as they are not fitting with what he's trying to achieve then I'm all for it, whether that be Skrtel, Agger, Lucas etc, I'm beginning to think Lucas's future at the club is in jeopardy and that he'll probably moved on in the summer.

Lucas would excel in a team that plays slow possesion football where he has the time to track back and to cover. We are in rapid transition from a very slow moving unit to quick attacking moves and Lucas would struggle in the team and it is evident in the last game that he struggled to track back. He will be useful on occassions where we are 3 goals up or need to defend a slim lead against a good team in the last 10 minutes.

I won't ship him out yet but he can be very useful on certain occassions.

« Last Edit: Dec 27, 2013 11:21:22 pm by redkop63 »
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #716: Dec 27, 2013 10:40:55 pm
      He'd better be getting those knuckles tattooed with YNWA if he wants to stay .
        Don't think that will save him mate, I think out of all our midfielders, Lucas is the one who Rodgers doesn't quite fancy and will be the one to drop out when Gerrard returns.

bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #717: Dec 27, 2013 10:49:34 pm
        Don't think that will save him mate, I think out of all our midfielders, Lucas is the one who Rodgers doesn't quite fancy and will be the one to drop out when Gerrard returns.

As far as I'm concerned only the strong survive , we're too close to the the top for false loyalty
      DaktionLFC
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,084 posts | 84 
      Reply #718: Dec 28, 2013 12:10:13 am
      As far as I'm concerned only the strong survive , we're too close to the the top for false loyalty

well... tbf to lucas, when BR came in as a manager, he heavily praised lucas.  i think BR does rate him.  however in the last few months, BR has increasingly talked about Gerrard playing a more defensive role as he ages... with this I see an overlap between gerrard and lucas.  And between the two, I believe Gerrard will win out.  But lucas' defensive vision is pretty good.  he bailed our full backs out a lot... Johnson will probably name a child after lucas.

however, if we get CL footy, it will make it possible to keep both as we'll have lots of games and Gerrard will need time to rest his legs

Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #719: Dec 28, 2013 12:23:40 am
      Finally got to watch the game and to say we deserved at least a point is an understatement.

Mignolet - One costly error.  His distribution, both in speed and accuracy, seems to be improving.

Johnson - Absolutely shocking in the first half, improved in the second got a deserved booking.  Kind of performance that does nothing to stop me thinking our full backs are our biggest weakness in our squad.

Cissokho - Almost the opposite to Johnson.  Good-ish 1st half in which he supported Coutinho well, caught in a couple of 2-on-1 situations when Coutinho didn't reciprocate. Awful second half and will be lucky if he's still here by the end of January.

Skrtel - Aside from his usual hands on approach to defending set pieces he had an impressive game.

Sakho -  Looks like he believes he'll win everything doesn't always, but the belief is there.  Still early days for his partnership with Skrtel, but like both Mignolet and Skrtel, not vocal enough.  Communication with the back 5 is something I hope Rodgers is working on.

Lucas - Our best midfielder on the day.  Worked tirelessly protecting the back four and recycled and distributed the ball well.

Henderson - Really starting to look like a player, confident and a defter touch on the ball than some might suspect.

Allen - Where has his 1st touch gone?  He's fast starting to make his 2nd touch a tackle and, for me, the chance he wasted because of his touch was every bit as bad as the offside call, professionally speaking.  Very unlucky for the equalizer though, if the Mig doesn't get a hand on that, I think Allen clears it off the line and showed his tactical awareness.

Coutinho - Sparkled in the fast half and went flat in the second.  Thought he worked well with Cissokho going forward in the first, that evaporated in the second as well.

Sterling - Surprised he's leading the MotM poll, thought he was on the periphery of the game for long periods and offered very little end product.  He did spring the offside trap beautifully on a few occasions and though his miss was poor, it did take a little bounce and it's something he will improve at.

Suarez - Best player on the pitch, the penalty decision would have been soft, but justifiable but what was far more irritating was Lescott, on more than one occasion, just going straight through the back of him and gettig away with it.  Undeserved booking rounded out his day.

Not much to comment on with the subs excepting Moses soft yellow.
      ORCHARD RED

• 8,526 posts | 1457 
      • 6 Times!
      Reply #720: Dec 28, 2013 08:31:45 am
      Interesting fact, In 81 and 85 we lost to City on boxing day, and went on to win the league on both occasions. Could be an omen!
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #721: Dec 28, 2013 08:36:44 am
      Interesting fact, In 81 and 85 we lost to City on boxing day, and went on to win the league on both occasions. Could be an omen!

Like it.
      s@int
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,987 posts | 2282 
      Reply #722: Dec 28, 2013 08:55:41 am
      Crushed that we couldn't get something from this game as we deserved at least a draw. Thought Suarez was easily m.o.t.m.

Skrtel had a decent game apart from allowing Kompany to score.

Lucas had a good game, but his lack of pace was highlighted on more than one occasion.

Johnson, poor touch cost him a goal but not as bad as some seem to think.

Coutinho could have had a couple of goals, but put his goal away well. Seemed to tire and drift out of the game in the second half

Sterling still has problems with concentration but is really starting to look like a player

Suarez could have had two or three assists if officials and other players had half his ability.

Joe Allen again very frustrating, touch, passing and brain all seemed to have disappeared .... similar to Henderson earlier in the season ... so there is still hope.

Not really sure where we go from here. Not a strong enough squad to carry us forward imo. Sadly it is in the big games where our weakest links really show up and our bench is the weakest of those links.

Happy enough with our performance, sickened by the result.   
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,435 posts | 3418 
      • Liverpool fc give me tourettes
      Reply #723: Dec 28, 2013 09:50:55 am
      Skrtel should actually be taught to try to head the ball, watched the game again on LFCTV and Gary Gilliespie was pulling his hair out about the actual defending for the goal, we seem to sh*t ourselves at every set piece now, a good performance but we should have won but basic errors at both ends cost us.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #724: Dec 28, 2013 10:08:10 am
      Will someone please create a Chelsea-Liverpool prematch thread please? I would, but I'm a bad omen
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,435 posts | 3418 
      Reply #725: Dec 28, 2013 10:11:56 am
      Will someone please create a Chelsea-Liverpool prematch thread please? I would, but I'm a bad omen
      I would if I could be arsed
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #726: Dec 28, 2013 10:16:03 am

Haha, for two of the prematch threads I've created (Hull & City), we've lost.

I can't be arsed either!
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #727: Dec 28, 2013 10:17:39 am
      Haha, for two of the prematch threads I've created (Hull & City), we've lost.

I can't be arsed either!

At work, got time for quick replies, not time to set up a thread.
      CoutinhoRed
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,353 posts | 103 
      Reply #728: Dec 28, 2013 10:27:54 am
      At work, got time for quick replies, not time to set up a thread.

Don't worry, BeerBelly has managed to create one. We'll win 2-0 now! :D
      FATKOPITE10
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 14,435 posts | 3418 
      Reply #729: Dec 28, 2013 10:30:34 am
      Don't worry, BeerBelly has managed to create one. We'll win 2-0 now! :D
      if we loose, we have a new scapegoat as well
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,256 posts | 4933 
      Reply #730: Dec 28, 2013 10:32:02 am
      if we loose, we have a new scapegoat as well

He'll be an even bigger scapegoat if we lose. ;)
      Beerbelly
      • Banned

• 6,983 posts | 2054 
      Reply #731: Dec 28, 2013 10:33:16 am
      He'll be an even bigger scapegoat if we lose. ;)

:laugh:

I'll take it on the chin if we "loose".
      lfc across the water
      • Needs a Klopp hug...Rafa's Number 1 fan...VAR has no faults Promoter
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 3,863 posts | 704 
      Reply #732: Dec 28, 2013 11:41:27 am
      Quote from: what-a-hit-son
      Arsenal, United, Chelsea, City and Everton have all got to come to Anfield yet.

If you had offered me this situation in August you'd be one handed.

We won 1-0 at home in September.

Good performance at City and should have got at least a point, but didn't take our chances. The officials were awful, but Rodgers went too far in his comments over where they're based. There's about 15 pro clubs in mancland, but there's no indication they support City over any of the rest of them, so he will get fined over it.

Mourinho has never lost a home game in charge down there, so a point is probably the best we can do. But after it, most of the hardest games are over. Get a point and we're still in a very good position going into the second half of the season.
      andylfcynwa
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,352 posts | 1631 
      Reply #733: Dec 28, 2013 11:45:36 am
      . He will be useful on occassions where we are 3 goals up or need to defend a slim lead against a good team in the last 10 minutes.

The only problem with that is ;;;we cant defend a slim lead ,
      tezmac
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 11,246 posts | 923 
      • F**k the Sun F**k Murdoch F**k the press
      Reply #734: Dec 28, 2013 02:14:23 pm
      Thought we would be under pressure all night but respect to the team we played well and deserved at least a draw. If we play like that at Chelsea we will win
      Reprobate
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 11,055 posts | 436 
      • Avatar by Kitster29@Deviantart.com
      Reply #735: Dec 28, 2013 05:42:41 pm
      Still seething. Seeing them at the top of the table today boils my piss!  :f_steam:

Quick Reply