Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 13th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P1 W1 D0 L0

LFC Reds Poll

Q. Man of the Match v City?

Simon Mignolet
      0 (0%)
      Aly Cissokho
      2 (1.7%)
      Mamadou Sakho
      1 (0.8%)
      Martin Skrtel
      9 (7.6%)
      Glen Johnson
      0 (0%)
      Lucas Leiva
      2 (1.7%)
      Jordan Henderson
      29 (24.4%)
      Joe Allen
      7 (5.9%)
      Philippe Coutinho
      13 (10.9%)
      Luis Suarez
      22 (18.5%)
      Raheem Sterling
      34 (28.6%)
      Victor Moses
      0 (0%)
      Iago Aspas
      0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 118

Voting closed: Dec 29, 2013 07:39:29 pm

Man City 2-1 LFC: In Game and Post Match Debates

Read 35789 times
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Re: Man City 2-1 LFC: In Game and Post Match Debates
      Reply #575: Dec 26, 2013 08:03:40 pm
      Friend of mine sent me a text during the game asking "is that really Sterling or Iniesta in disguise?"

Was Raheem really that good?

Pretty much.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #576: Dec 26, 2013 08:03:52 pm
      Sterling had a great game, missed an absolute sitter though!
      shabbadoo
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 29,481 posts | 4596 
      Reply #577: Dec 26, 2013 08:04:44 pm
      Would love to have taken a point towards the end of the game.

Performance wise considering the opposition who are formidable at home we did ourselves proud and matched City toe to toe.

Next Chelsea who are going to get spanked by us.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,438 posts | 6429 
      Reply #578: Dec 26, 2013 08:08:19 pm
      that's the point mate we know what it takes to have a decent team but a championship winning side doesn't need excuses.

Man city very we'll could have been the ones needing excuses tonight. I think you are way off point.
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,438 posts | 6429 
      Reply #579: Dec 26, 2013 08:09:20 pm
      Friend of mine sent me a text during the game asking "is that really Sterling or Iniesta in disguise?"

Personally think that's an exaggeration and no way Iniesta misses the open goal that Sterling missed late in the game.
      bigmick
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 10,078 posts | 2767 
      Reply #580: Dec 26, 2013 08:10:12 pm
      Well we just played the best side in the league and matched them toe to toe. Got unlucky with a couple of reffing decisions, but all in all I think everyone had a decent enough game, Jeez we've come a long way as a side haven't we just?

On a side note you've got to take your hat off to Owen Hargreaves. I thought Michael Owens' position as the biggest c*nt of the year on TV was absolutely assured, but in one performance Hargreaves swept him aside with ease. What a horrible, snidey, stupid accented, ridiculous haircutted little tw*t.
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #581: Dec 26, 2013 08:10:36 pm
      no the best team wins the league. Go Wikipedia the 89 squad and tell me if you think todays squad matches it.We are close as we have been but unless we are able to find another 2 or 3 top players this is the result .

Sorry Walt but what's comparing the 89 side got anything to do with the current side?

I'm as big a fan of that side than you will find but it's not relevant argument to compare the two.

Football has changed in the last 25 years, we are where we are, we are building following probably the worst period football wise we have faced in the last 60 years and it will take time, we won't get there over night and comparing us now with arguably one of our best ever sides isn't at all relevant.

We played well today, probably deserved far more, we are in the top 4, we are progressing.. It may not be as quick as we all want but it's there.. The manager is doing a fine job, the owners who I may not be the biggest fans of are providing funds, we are moving forward.

Let's get together, let's get in the top4 at least and let's move on again.
      By doing that we may be in a position in a few years to compare 89

Right now we aren't

It's a long season, the sky doesn't fall in after a defeat like it shouldn't be all good after a win.

Let's smash the chavs at the weekend and we can smile again
      LFC Karl
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 4,930 posts | 158 
      • YNWA
      Re: Live: Manchester City vs Liverpool
      Reply #582: Dec 26, 2013 08:10:58 pm
      Horrible match to watch. Could of won and probably didn't deserve to. Freaked!!

Need to bounce back on Sunday.

Sakho had a mare!! As did a few others. Beaten by the best and we weren't spanked so out if behind us and move on
      RedWilly
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,221 posts | 1646 
      Reply #583: Dec 26, 2013 08:11:40 pm
      Proud of the lads after that performance, very unlucky not to take something I feel. Absolutely gutted, but if we perform like that then we will be alright at Stamford Bridge.

Hendo and Sterling, once again, were fantastic.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      • My bird looks great in red
      Reply #584: Dec 26, 2013 08:11:57 pm
      no the best team wins the league. Go Wikipedia the 89 squad and tell me if you think todays squad matches it.We are close as we have been but unless we are able to find another 2 or 3 top players this is the result .
      I wouldn't dare to compare them , luckily we have the January transfer to bolster up , that's if the owners are willing to back Rodgers and if they don't then that will be their undoing . I think they will .
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,517 posts | 2873 
      Reply #585: Dec 26, 2013 08:11:58 pm

He was great but missed one of the three sitters. His link up play was brilliant though, involved in the goal and played some great passes.
      ozi_wozzy
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,552 posts | 304 
      Reply #586: Dec 26, 2013 08:16:43 pm
      i'm proud to be a liverpool fan right now. yes i get it, we have no points to show for all the effort...but we were the better team. the linesman's decision aside, we should have won the game just from open play. sterling's and coutinho's misses have cost us as much as the sloppy goal mignolet let in.

we created more chances then they did and we looked more dangerous going forward. to go to city right now and put on that performance and have them clinging on is a testament to how well we are playing right now.

the fact that we replaced coutinho and lucas with moses and aspas does show we lack the depth in the squad. their midfield's the best midfield in the league right now. some of their posession play, one touch passing and instant controls we brilliant and we lost (unfairly) to one of the best club sides in the world in their ground.

skrtl and his freaking shirt pulling has to be stopped. otherwise, he was brilliant tonight. personally, i can't wait to get enrique back and i'd start giving robinson more play time at right back because johnson was ok but uninspiring.

very, very impressive performance and the wrongful losers imo. we have more than what it takes to beat chelsea. well done lads, i'm proud as i said.
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #587: Dec 26, 2013 08:17:02 pm
      We can easily bounce back to beat Chelsea , we have the  team to do it . Whatever it is but we have the team spirit that we lacked for quiet a while now and the belief is there as well .
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #588: Dec 26, 2013 08:19:01 pm
      i can't wait to get enrique back and i'd start giving robinson more play time at right back because johnson was ok but uninspiring.
      I thought Robinson was on loan ?
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #589: Dec 26, 2013 08:19:05 pm
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,517 posts | 2873 
      Reply #590: Dec 26, 2013 08:20:32 pm

Unbelievable to think that linesman will be involved in another top flight game at the weekend. How the hell can you get that decision wrong?
      bigears

• 6,125 posts | 287 
      Reply #591: Dec 26, 2013 08:20:54 pm
      Bubonic
      • Forum Alan Hansen

• 634 posts | 25 
      Reply #592: Dec 26, 2013 08:21:45 pm
      Have to say this is pretty much the best I have felt after a defeat in ages.

We played against the most expensive squad in the country, on their turf where they have destroyed all comers, and we put it right up to them.

In fact the difference was some bad refereeing and a goal keeping error.

Our small squad played against them with two of our main players out. Also our players are mostly very young, so there is a lot more to come from this squad.

If we keep playing the way we have been I still think its possible to win the league, we have a much easier second half of the season than first.

Lets just put in a similar display against Chelsea and get back to picking up points.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #593: Dec 26, 2013 08:22:52 pm
      Go on then. I'll bite.

What has a linesman denying us a blatant goal that would have given us a 2-0 lead (1-0 at the time), have to do with "lack of quality in depth"??

Was that F***ing ''official'' pissed or blind? He was onside all day as the replay showed, not by any small margin either. If that was a real job he would be sacked for misconduct, F***ing wopper.
      Scottbot

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #594: Dec 26, 2013 08:23:21 pm
      Tough one to take. My thoughts on the game were

- we should have nothing to fear for the rest of the season based on that performance, there was a lot to like from the performance but hopefully the sting of losing a Match we should have at least drawn will drive the lads on.

- We controlled the game for long periods and looked very comfortable for much of the 2nd half

- We've been a pretty clinical side so far this season but unfortunately when the door was knocking for someone other than Suarez to get the goals  we were caught short.

- I felt our play was a bit niave and it played in to City's hands. They have so much pace in the side and break so quickly and yet there we were comfortable on the ball in attack but at times with both full backs pushed with Allen and Henderson ahead of the ball. As soon as we lost I really felt for Lucas and the back four because we got turned around too easily. It was reminiscent of some of the struggles we had in the first half of last season.

- My last thought is to echo the issues with squad depth. We simply didn't have anything off the bench and whilst Cissoko did ok put there today he wasn't a patch on the form young Flanagan has shown recently and we all know he isn't Liverpool quality.
      « Last Edit: Dec 26, 2013 09:09:57 pm by Scottbot »
      Paisleydalglish
      Reply #595: Dec 26, 2013 08:26:30 pm
      Was that f**king ''official'' pissed or blind? He was onside all day as the replay showed, not by any small margin either. If that was a real job he would be sacked for misconduct, f**king wopper.

Granted but as he said what's that got to do with lack of depth or 1989?
      AussieRed
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 20,908 posts | 6832 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone
      Reply #596: Dec 26, 2013 08:26:37 pm
      Shattered.

Can't believe we went to "The Title Favourites" and didn't come away with anything.

A game of what ifs for me.

- That c**t linesman doesn't call offside....terrible decision  ...should have been 0-1.

- Where Kompany scores from a set peice. First off another terrible decision where Lucas doesn't even touch Kolarov, ref gives a free kick, get's deflected for a corner and Kompany scores, albeit with some sh*t marking by Skrtel.

- Coutinho on the end of some brilliant play doesn't put it past Hart and he pulls off a blinder of a save. Either side of him and it's in the back of the net. Should have been 0-2 if the ref doesnt bottle it for the Kompany goal.

- That counter attack by them should have been closed off and then Mignolet getting a soft palm to it only for it to bounce into an empty net. F**k me.  :mad: :mad: :mad:

- Then to finally top it off Sterling with the easiest of tap ins, skys it over the crossbar. Should have been 0-3. 3 points.

What I did get out of that game to give me some solace is that we went there, where they have battered other teams off the park and embarrassed them and we came away with our heads held high knowing it was our lack of clinicalness mixed with some terrible refereeing decisions that cost us a massive win. I'm sure if other teams didn't believe we could mount a serious Title challenge, they would now all have there heads turned by that performance and they might sit up and take notice.

Come on You Reds, let's go batter Chelsea.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,361 posts | 4971 
      Reply #597: Dec 26, 2013 08:27:12 pm
      Sterling my MOTM.

Outstanding today and always a threat and maybe even more so then Luis.

Quick Reply