Trending Topics

Next match: v [] Thu 1st Jan @ 1:00 am

Today is the 29th of May and on this date LFC's match record is P8 W3 D3 L2

2014 Winter Transfer Kitty

Read 4922 times
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      2014 Winter Transfer Kitty
      Dec 28, 2013 06:17:17 pm
      So only 5 days to go until the January window opens.  This has to be one of the most critical windows for us in recent years;

If all goes well, we will all but guarantee one of those coveted top four spots.
      If all goes badly, we will still be chasing the pack, a all too similar story to recent years.

In my opinion FSG just have to blow everyone out the water, if we want to start cementing our place back in Europes top flight.

We need more bums on seats, its not a secret, we're struggling to put a competitive bench out for most games, when we havent got the extra games that europe brings.

If we get in 2 quality players for the starting 11 (which would be an absolutely fantastic window), we are building up the ammo for those big six pointer games - which will make a big difference to the table, looking how tight the league is shaping up this year.

I think we're looking at 30mill kitty, but would love it to be closer to 40. With that said, if we get another 2 Coutinho and Sturridge type players in, regardless of spend, I'll be satisfied with the window.

How scroogy do you think Henry and Warner will be, and how much of a bearing do you all think this window will relate to where we end up in May?
      Billo
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 10,710 posts | 896 
      Re: 2014 Winter Transfer Kitty
      Reply #1: Dec 28, 2013 06:23:10 pm
      Don't want to be that guy who piss on the parade, but there is no way knowing of how much we will get in the transfer kitty. Everybody is going to just speculate of how much we have and there is no way of knowing.
      We could just as good make a thread called who killed jfk.
      Benito
      • Forum Legend - Fagan
      • Started Topic

• 2,940 posts | 285 
      Reply #2: Dec 28, 2013 06:26:54 pm
      Don't want to be that guy who piss on the parade, but there is no way knowing of how much we will get in the transfer kitty. Everybody is going to just speculate of how much we have and there is no way of knowing.
      I'm not expecting Brendans secretive right hand man to come on here and post actuals. Just interested in others opinions on how critical this window is, and whether the general consensus is that FSG will stick to buy young and cheap, or surprise us and splash some cash for us to push on to get into Europe.
      Reslivo
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,490 posts | 521 
      Reply #3: Dec 28, 2013 07:03:37 pm
      There probably is no kitty - don't think there ever has been with FSG & Rodgers. We simply buy who we think is good and sell who we think is bad.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #4: Dec 28, 2013 07:22:48 pm
      There probably is no kitty - don't think there ever has been with FSG & Rodgers. We simply buy who we think is good and sell who we think is bad.

And only if the price and wages are right and the profile fits the type of player we buy these days.
      RedLFCBlood
      Reply #5: Dec 28, 2013 08:03:29 pm
      I'd love to see us go and Spunk £160m breaking our transfer record 4 times, as that's not going to happen I'd settle for Salah and Rakitic for £19m - £20m touted and Pastore on loan that would be a decent window imo.
      bad boy bubby
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 14,564 posts | 3172 
      • @KaiserQueef
      Reply #6: Dec 29, 2013 10:45:57 am
      And only if the price and wages are right
      That, my friend, is what they call 'the nail on the head'.  8)

It won't matter if we have £10m, £20m or £50m 'in the kitty': John Henry has made the prime directive very clear - "we will not overpay for players" and "never again waste resources on inflated transfer fees and unrealistic wages."

So, even with £50m 'in the kitty' if a player Brendan/transfer committee want becomes available at say £25m: if he is deemed as 'overpriced' or his wages are 'unrealistic' or that £25m is thought as being 'inflated'... we won't buy him.

The same (if John Henry is true to his word) obviously holds true for any player at any price.

I don't know who makes that call or even how they come to the decision [on whether or not a player is 'overpriced']: maybe that's an issue for another thread.

It might even be argued that spending over £20m, on three players who haven't played a half-dozen games, is 'overpaying' and represents a 'waste of resources' (again for another thread maybe) but the fact is: we could have £100m in the kitty and it might not make a difference...

If
      a player is not available at the 'right price' and for the 'right wage'.  8)
      Ribapuru
      • Banned

• 10,843 posts | 1371 
      Reply #7: Dec 29, 2013 02:11:13 pm
      This probably deserves its own thread but in France anyone paid above 1m Euro will be taxed 75%. It is nrw ruling from today, the nice timing I say. This means a mass exodus of the French league. Maybe we can get some players from that league.  Liverpool could offer the player the same salary but the player world get 30% more.
      5timesacharm
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,507 posts | 948 
      Reply #8: Jan 02, 2014 06:18:48 pm
      I get the impression FSG don't do transfer budgets. The commitee agress on a player's worth and FSG stump up the cash. If it exceeds their valuation they stick to their guns. Nonetheless, let's hope they stump up the cash for the target's BR needs to push on back to 1st in the second half of the season.
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #9: Jan 02, 2014 06:30:05 pm
      I get the impression FSG don't do transfer budgets. The commitee agress on a player's worth and FSG stump up the cash. If it exceeds their valuation they stick to their guns. Nonetheless, let's hope they stump up the cash for the target's BR needs to push on back to 1st in the second half of the season.

That's it.

If they feel a player is worth big money I think they will pay it if he fits the profile.

Scotia
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 8,991 posts | 3062 
      Reply #10: Jan 02, 2014 06:31:44 pm

Hang on.....without a solid link in the press? I know the Warren Commission is accepted as a whitewash but no-where have I read that we were in the frame.

Shocking
      KopiteLuke
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 21,056 posts | 3784 
      Reply #11: Jan 02, 2014 06:53:17 pm
      This probably deserves its own thread but in France anyone paid above 1m Euro will be taxed 75%. It is nrw ruling from today, the nice timing I say. This means a mass exodus of the French league. Maybe we can get some players from that league.  Liverpool could offer the player the same salary but the player world get 30% more.

While I agree the rich should contribute the most for the gains they've made in a country 75% is surely taking things to an extreme. I can't see any player staying there for long when they're losing that amount of their wages to a country most of them aren't native to. This could very easily backfire on France and has often acted as a deterrent to other countries upping their tax rates because the most obvious solution for the business or individual is to take your entire wealth to another country and therefore upping the rate of tax actually results in a loss of income for the Government.

Hopefully we can benefit from their choice.
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,625 posts | 2160 
      Reply #12: Jan 02, 2014 09:28:01 pm
      Does anyone think FSG might loosen their principles on inflated transfer fees given that we're on the cusp of breaking back into Europe's top competition? They must be aware that a couple of injuries like the ones we've recently been experiencing are enough to scupper our chances long term. Hopefully reason prevails and they arm Brendan with the necessary funds to improve the squad. Even if they want to stick with the buy young approach, that's fine with me so go out and get Will Hughes and Luke Shaw.
      Stevie-G
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 1,730 posts |
      Reply #13: Jan 02, 2014 10:25:28 pm
      OK, let's sign 10 players worth 30M then  ;)
      redsordie27
      • Forum Didi Hamann

• 293 posts |
      Reply #14: Jan 03, 2014 08:54:32 pm
      20m is what i hear, its sad
      7-King Kenny-7
      • Lives on Sesame Street
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 44,014 posts | 5760 
      • You'll Never Walk Alone!
      Reply #15: Jan 03, 2014 09:22:36 pm
      srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,344 posts | 4966 
      Reply #16: Jan 03, 2014 09:28:32 pm
      DeanoLFC
      • Forum John Toshack

• 259 posts | 18 
      Reply #17: Jan 03, 2014 09:40:15 pm
      So who's gonna tweet john henry to ask him  :)
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #18: Jan 03, 2014 10:48:05 pm

A) Why is it sad?  £40m net spend over two windows ain't to be sniffed at.
      B) Wish I could remember which podcast it was, but they said we had a £50m war chest. Gave me a chortle.

To be honest, I'll just be glad if Ayre keeps his trap shut this window.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #19: Jan 03, 2014 11:22:32 pm
      If this window maybe doesn't go to plan and we don't get the deals done we had in mind I'd go to Southampton and put £20M on the table for Shaw

I know full back isn't top priority but you sign him and you've got left back covered for next 10 years
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #20: Jan 03, 2014 11:26:07 pm
      But it's summer. Lock thread.

;)

Who cares about a kitty in all honesty. As long as Brendan gets what he wants.
      Alfie2510
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,572 posts | 351 
      Reply #21: Jan 03, 2014 11:28:42 pm
      But it's summer. Lock thread.

;)

Who cares about a kitty in all honesty. As long as Brendan gets what he wants.

Another trip to the teeth whitening dentist then?
      crouchinho
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 42,508 posts | 2620 
      • TU TA LOUCO? FILHO DA PUTA!
      Reply #22: Jan 04, 2014 01:55:18 am
      Another trip to the teeth whitening dentist then?

Was thinking a second dose of liposuction.

Quick Reply