Trending Topics

Next match: Betis v LFC [Friendly] Sat 27th Jul @ 12:30 am
      Acrisure Stadium

Today is the 16th of June and on this date LFC's match record is P0 W0 D0 L0

Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match trauma

Read 40746 times
      cmzf3110
      • Forum Youth Player

• 21 posts |
      Re: Chelsea 2-1 Liverpool: In-game & post-match trauma
      Reply #621: Dec 29, 2013 07:03:36 pm
      Honestly I dont know when Suarez will get a call in the box . He needs to get hammered. Its as if they dont want him or Liverpool to succeed . he gets hammered and nothing , after the games when the refs see the mistakes , nothing happens ! The FA is shiiiiiite. 
      Scottbot
      • Forum Legend - Dalglish

• 9,628 posts | 2161 
      Reply #622: Dec 29, 2013 07:06:14 pm
      Second half was much better but we weren't at the races in the first half and tbf they were excellent. Our lads tried to press the ball and deliver a high energy performance but the cold hard truth is that you cannot play this way over Xmas without being able to freshen up the team and we don't have the bodies,in fact half of them dropped out injured during the game.

Very disappointed with the penalty incident, Maureen has come out and had his ten pence worth but I would be disappointed if Brendan does not ask Webb to explain the decision.

I just hope the lads have the legs to come out and deliver a performance at home to Hull on New Years Day because I'm guessing its pretty much the same set of lads once again.

Bright spot again was young Sterling. Really. Disappointed with Mignolet for their 2nd goal and that's two mistakes in our two biggest games. Of the season which is a bit of a worry.
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #623: Dec 29, 2013 07:08:46 pm
      Thought Sterling was one of our better players today.

The whole team was poor, so that doesn't say an awful lot about Sterling's ability today.

In my opinion, he was awful, and I watched him closely throughout the game.

He had a couple of good driving runs, but overall, he lost the ball too much, and cheaply too. Sometimes due to his poor thinking, sometimes a wayward pass.

But back to the other players: Coutinho was poor. His passing was mostly too long/heavy or too short. He had a couple of attempts at goal when he had other better options available to him.

Johnson was slow, and gave the ball away too often in very dangerous positions. I think that didn't help Sterling's game. Both Johnson and Sterling just jogged back and gave no help to prevent Eto'o scoring.

Both wings were not coping well, and we lost the centre too easily to Chelsea's strength and energy.

Suarez was left with little support, and he too gave the ball away too often.

I think this is down to the players, not Brendan. Although the substitutions were not the best, he didn't have a lot of options on the bench.

At the end of the day, we had a better team - and could easily have won this game. The players did not play well. It's far more to do with that than Mourinho's tactics.
      Son Of A Gun

• 5,199 posts | 1275 
      Reply #624: Dec 29, 2013 07:09:27 pm
      Squad is paper thin as somebody pointed out we had kids to fill the bench. Not good enough, defiantly need to spend in Jan and we need quality not unproven players on the cheap from abroad.

Too true, as poor as Lucas is at the moment, we don't even have another holding midfielder. I would think someone like Gerrard would take the place.

Lucas would be good squad player but not for the first XI - nobody has ever really replaced Mascherano. Priority signings for me are natural full backs to replace Johnson and Enrique who are not good enough, and a holding midfielder to replace Lucas. Getting a really strong brute of a player in holding midfield would be great protection for a defence that is always going to be susceptible as the full backs are charging up the field under the Rodgers system. Having a poor defensive midfielder at the moment under Lucas is leaving the defence to all sorts of problems. I would not want to return to a flat back four as we would lose attacking impetus, so a great holding midfielder could be key.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #625: Dec 29, 2013 07:09:49 pm
      1. Referee is a c**t, should have had a penalty.
      2. Johnson needs to be dropped and a new right back needs to come in at January.
      3. Lucas/Allen don't pose enough going forward, Allen finds himself in the right positions but can't take advantage, give Alberto a go.
      4. Missing Sturridge.

MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #626: Dec 29, 2013 07:10:17 pm
      Thought today the game was lost in the middle by way of lack of muscle. Funny though as at City it wasn't a problem. Perhaps a touch of tiredness? Sterling didn't use his pace anywhere near as effectively as he could have. Coutihno didn't spark, and suarez wasn't fed. Imo, Henderson was our best player despite clearly not at his best. Though we didn't deserve to win, certainly didn't deserve to lose. Another costly mistake from keeper.  We NEED pepe back to make real competition ala man city have done with hart and pantilimon...
      LFC_Olly_91
      • Forum Jamie Redknapp

• 309 posts | 43 
      Reply #627: Dec 29, 2013 07:12:38 pm
      Mourinho said Suarez went down "like he had been shot"...

Oscar spent more time laying down on the pitch rolling around, than he did playing football.

Eto'o should of been sent off after 2 minutes for the challenge on Henderson, and we should of been given a penalty for his reckless challenge on Suarez, he should of been booked for it as well.

Overall I think we were hard done by again today, as we were against City on Boxing Day.

Oh well, let's just look forward to starting 2014 well with a victory against Hull.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      • Luis Suarez could nutmeg a mermaid
      Reply #628: Dec 29, 2013 07:13:19 pm
      Let's take the frustrations of this defeat to Wednesday when we play Hull at Anfield and teach that fat headed tw*t Bruce a lesson.
      6stringer
      • Forum Legend - Benitez

• 2,051 posts | 517 
      Reply #629: Dec 29, 2013 07:15:04 pm
      We just simply don't have the depth in squad to cope when these big fixtures come along..especially away from home.
      We've picked up 7 points out of 18 against ;
      Man U - H... 3
      Everton - A.... 1
      Spurs - A... 3
      Arsenal - A... 0
      Man C - A.... 0
      Chelsea - A... 0

With only one of those games at home I suppose the only saving grace is that they all (apart from Man U) have to come to Anfield..
      So, if we want to have ANY chance of a top 4 finish as we move into the second half of the season we need to be picking up the full 15 in those home games and even a sneaky double over Man U can't be ruled out..

Today, and at Man City we showed our main weakness in not being able to hold on to and possibly extend on, a one goal lead..end of.

We need a midfielder who can turn the game on its head.. unfortunately Hazard was playing for Chelsea today..

Officials played a shocker in both City and Chelsea game..and that not just me being an angry Scouser who can't take defeat.. These last two games have really f***ed us over..

NOT HAPPY !!!
      Fourbrick3
      • Forum Matt Busby

• 131 posts |
      Reply #630: Dec 29, 2013 07:18:56 pm

Webb couldn't have been any closer.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #631: Dec 29, 2013 07:20:29 pm
      Penalty no doubt. Shocking how that wasn't giving. F***ing rat, hate him.
      DanMann

• 5,802 posts | 892 
      Reply #632: Dec 29, 2013 07:21:19 pm

Linesman had a direct view too.
      MarkMitt
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 2,800 posts | 337 
      • Give it your best every time!
      Reply #633: Dec 29, 2013 07:23:42 pm
      Am I the only one who thought Oscar controlled the ball with his arm when setting up Eto'o? I called handball straight away! !
      Roddenberry
      • Forum Legend - Paisley

• 16,568 posts | 1876 
      Reply #634: Dec 29, 2013 07:26:29 pm
      I usually defend refs against undue criticism, but from that screen shot, Webb has nowhere to hide.
      RC9
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,934 posts | 829 
      • Formerly known as Vtorres, Vsuarez, and Vsterling.
      Reply #635: Dec 29, 2013 07:26:55 pm
      Am I the only one who thought Oscar controlled the ball with his arm when setting up Eto'o? I called handball straight away! !

I thought that first too.
      chats
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,522 posts | 2874 
      Reply #636: Dec 29, 2013 07:27:04 pm
      Apparently both Hendo and Allen played with injuries today. Explains Hendo's performance I guess, probably the least ground he's covered in a game since he joined.
      Odd Job
      • Banned

• 2,112 posts | 49 
      Reply #637: Dec 29, 2013 07:27:55 pm

He did handball it didn't he?
      ConzS
      • Forum Legend - Fagan

• 4,374 posts | 1030 
      Reply #638: Dec 29, 2013 07:37:36 pm
      In game & post match trauma :lmao:

stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #639: Dec 29, 2013 07:50:56 pm
      Honestly I dont know when Suarez will get a call in the box . He needs to get hammered. Its as if they dont want him or Liverpool to succeed . he gets hammered and nothing , after the games when the refs see the mistakes , nothing happens ! The FA is shiiiiiite. 

Some of the fouls not given on Luis were blatant as if the perpetrators knew they would not be penalised, there was one instance when he was sandwiched between 2 defenders, one dispossessed him while the other bundled him over!! Webb was 10 yards away with an unobstructed view - a white stick would not have been out of place. 
      FL Red
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 31,441 posts | 6431 
      Reply #640: Dec 29, 2013 07:51:22 pm
      then he needs to f***in learn quick and saying how f***in smart Webb is isn't a good move.

He said it immediately after saying that Eto was lucky to be on the pitch....mind games by Brendan....apparently went over yours......
      bmck
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 9,605 posts | 1683 
      • YNWA
      Reply #641: Dec 29, 2013 07:55:49 pm
      Squad strength arguments aside, when Luis went down under Eto's challenge, it looked straight away like a peno. Didn't need a replay to check, it was blatant. Much more of a peno for me than the one at City and the eegit ref was looking straight at it :(   Stone wall peno. Might have nicked us a point.
      stuey
      • LFC Reds Subscriber
      • 36,044 posts | 3967 
      Reply #642: Dec 29, 2013 07:56:51 pm
      Some of the fouls not given on Luis were blatant as if the perpetrators knew they would not be penalised, there was one instance when he was sandwiched between 2 defenders, one dispossessed him while the other bundled him over!! Webb was 10 yards away with an unobstructed view - a white stick would not have been out of place. 

The very one :

srslfc
      • Forum Legend - Shankly

• 32,372 posts | 4973 
      Reply #643: Dec 29, 2013 07:57:21 pm
      like I said he needs to grow a pair and stand up for himself and stop being a yes man

You must have missed his press conference after the previous game then?

It would be a bit silly of Brendan to go all guns blazing again while under the threat from the FA.

Quick Reply